• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 583 Views, 2 Comments

Exo's Journey - Someguy987



wrongfully accused of theft, Exo must now escape prison along with the guilty stallion. Escaping the prison, and traversing the frozen wastes are the least of her problems.

  • ...
 2
 583

Chapter 4

Exo drifted in and out of consciousness as she felt flakes of snow beginning to envelop her body. Far behind her, several sets of hooves crunched in the snow, an axle creaked along side. From the sound of them, they didn't seem to be going in her direction.

Her breaths had been shallow and painful, but now the unicorn's chest rose high as she opened her mouth to scream, yell, anything to be heard.

Nothing.

Another idea struck Exo. The mare began to lick flakes of snow from her cheek. The ice melted, and the unicorn licked her chapped lips. Forming an "O" with her mouth, the alabaster pony blew, and blew, and blew. Tears formed in the corners of the mare's eyes as she whistled the sad song she had heard so long ago.

"Hey look, there's a pegasus... and a unicorn," one of the ponies in the distance cried.

With a tired sigh, Exo passed out.

-----

Exo ached all over, the base of her horn throbbed painfully. Her bed at least, was a bit soft, if not smelly, better than being dead. The mare was too tired to open her eyes, but feathers tickling her side, accompanied by a myriad of soft snores, assured her of Riptide's survival.

The unicorn awoke to the sounds of grunts and struggling, a pair of burly earth ponies had taken a hold of Riptide.

"Get off me!" he yelled as his wings flapped uselessly against the hold of his abductors.

"Leave him alone!" the mare shouted as she lunged at the pair, but found shackles clamped around her fetlocks. The captors dragged the screaming pegasus away before slamming the cell door closed.

Exo looked around, this place reminded her of the prison, only worse. The mare lay on a soft bed of moldy hay, in the corner a small hole led into the ground, and a bowl of gruel sat beside her. The chains around her legs led up to the wall, and into a large rusted iron plate, bolted into the brick. She sat in a small dank stone room, the only illumination was that of a gas lamp in the hallway. Across from her cell sat an identical set of bars. Within was a colorful lump of flesh slowly moving up and down.

"Psst, hey," the mare whispered at her fellow inmate.

The lump didn't stir.

Searching around, the alabaster unicorn found a rather large chunk of rust that had broken away from the iron plate in the wall. Breaking it into smaller pieces, Exo tossed one at the pony opposite her.

It moved, a bit.

Flecks of detritus showered her companion before a particularly large piece gave them a slap on the rear. With a yelp, the pony was up.

"Hey," Exo whispered again, "do you know where we are, and why we're chained up?"

"Are you stupid or something?" the earth pony replied with more vitriol than she thought possible. "We're in some sort of prison, they kidnapped me from Canterlot a while ago." Exo gasped. "All I know is that they drag ponies off to experiment on them, when they come back, they're... less."

"What do you mean less."

"Can't talk now, guards might hear. Sleep as much as you can, that way you don't have to face this horrible reality."

"Wait, don't go back to sleep yet," the mare pleaded, but it was too late, that pony had curled into ball once more.

Giving an aggravated sigh, the alabaster unicorn fell to her haunches.

"Hey," Exo cried into the hallway, hoping to gain the attention of one of the guards. "Guards, I need to use the little fillies' room."

"Shut up," came the pained whisper of pony in the opposite cell.

"Guards!"

"Shut up, just please shut up," the pony cried.

"Why? Are you going to talk now?"

"Yes please, just stop calling the guards, and shut u-"

"What do we have here?" came an eerily familiar voice.

Down the hallway came a pair of stallions. Both were earth ponies, one purple the other yellow. The lavender one wore a pair of sunglasses despite the low light.

"Lookie what we got here?"

"Crystal Shard," Exo gasped.

"If it isn't my... second favorite prisoner?"

"A mare?" the yellow one began, "you mind if I take her out back an-"

"No!" Shard snapped. "I've got plans for this one. If I see so much as one hair out of place, I'll skin you alive myself. Best get your shut-eye girl, lest you see what monsters crawl around in the dark." Crystal Shard gave a sadistic cackle before sauntering away.

Giving a defeated sigh, Exo laid down on the bedding, closed her eyes, and nearly cried.

In the distance, she could hear Riptide shouting. Shouts degraded into bloodcurdling screams as heavy iron shackles echoed throughout the hall. Motors spun, and the navy stallion screeched.

Exo got no sleep that night as Riptide's screams filled the hallways. When the cries of anguish eventually did fade away, they still rang in the mare's ears, eyes closed and hooves clasped around her head.

-----

At some point, Exo had given into her weariness, and fell asleep. She was awakened to the sound of her cell opening, and a dull thud on the floor.

Looking around she saw a dark blue lump with a black mane, Riptide. Their captors hadn't bothered to chain the stallion up, opting instead to allow his prone form to lay free.

"Riptide!" Exo cried. "Are you all right? What did they do to..." The mare's words fell short as her eyes wandered over to the stallion's back. Where had once sat a pair of majestic wings, dark as night, now was covered in filthy, bloody bandages.

"Oh no," the alabaster unicorn whispered as she took the navy pony's head into her lap.

Exo could hear the stallion's muffled whimpers in the darkness. After a while, the sounds stopped, replaced not by sobs, but grunts of effort.

"What are you trying to do?" the two-tone pony asked as she forced Riptide's head back down. "Stop that, you'll kill yourself if you strain too much."

"Can't stop. Have to... leave."

"How, you're half-dead, and I'm still chained up."

Slowly, the stallion pushed himself onto his haunches, lifted a foreleg to his muzzle, and with a flex, pulled the broken tip of a needle free with his teeth. A small trickle of blood ran down his hoof, and onto the floor.

"Let me see the shackle."

Lifting a shackled foreleg, Riptide set himself to work freeing the alabaster mare. With a pop and a click, the first of cuffs was off.

"How did you-"

"Do you really think that the door was open when I robbed that house?"

"Good point," Exo said as she lifted another leg in the stallion's direction.

Slowly, the remaining shackles fell to the ground. Giving a tired pant, Riptide caught his breath.

"How are you holding up?" the mare asked as she propped the navy pony up.

"Nothing that's going to kill me. Come on, let's get to work on the door."

-----

The broken stallion limped through the halls, leaning heavily on Exo. The pair traversed the dimly lit corridors, narrowly avoiding a pair of patrolling guards.

Stumbling, Riptide gave a wet, raspy cough as a pool of blood splattered on the floor.

"Can you still move? There has to be an infirmary around here somewhere," the mare said frantically as she pulled one of the stallion's hooves over her shoulder.

"It's not gonna kill me," Riptide replied as he wiped a dangling strand of bloody saliva from his face. "Let's keep moving."

With that, the two wobbled forward.

Several tense minutes later, a sign pointed them towards the infirmary. Giving a short thanks to the heavens above, Exo tossed an agitated navy pony onto her back, and raced towards the medical bay.

The alabaster unicorn slid to a stop just before reaching the entrance to the infirmary. Gently she pressed her hooves against the door, careful of any excess noise. Seeing no pony, Exo slid her way inside and carefully laid Riptide down on one of the examination tables.

The two-tone mare rifled through the drawers and cabinets, looking for anything of use. Exo's heart pumped painfully in her chest as place after place came up empty. Finally her blood froze as she saw a cabinet full of pristine syringes still in their packaging. Turning them over, they were all color coded: red for epinephrine, blue for morphine, and green for penicillin.

"What are they?" Riptide asked from his prone position on the bed.

"Syringes: morphine, adrenaline, and penicillin."

"Great, bring me two of each."

"You're not seriously going to inject yourself with these, are you?"

"I just need something," the stallion gave a wet raspy cough, "something to kill the pain."

Digging through more cabinets, Exo found a roll of gauze, a pair of scissors, cotton pads, and a bottle of alcohol before returning to the navy stallion.

"I'm going to have to replace your bandages, or else you run the risk of getting an infection."

"Alright, but can I get a shot of morphine first?"

"Sorry, but I need you to tell me where it hurts worse bec-"

"Because you're cruel," Riptide snapped.

"Because I have to make sure that there isn't an intramuscular infection which would need to be sucked out, and get a shot of antibiotics."

"How do you know all this?" the navy stallion asked.

"I read a lot of books while you were planning our escape," the mare responded simply.

Levitating the scissors, Exo carefully slipped the metal blades beneath the bloody gauze strips.

"Careful," the dark blue pony said as he clenched his teeth, and squeezed his eyes shut.

Slowly, snips filled the air, and stained crimson strips of cloth fell away.

"Oh."

"What? What is it?" Riptide asked as he began to turn his head.

"Nothing," the alabaster unicorn added quickly as she telekinetically held his head forward.

On the navy stallion's back were a pair of bald patches with jagged, ugly stitches.

Ewww, the mare thought to herself.

Blood had caked around the wound, and thin wisps of cotton hung from the hardened scabs.

"Close your eyes, and think of Celestia."

"W-Why?" Riptide asked, trepidation in his voice.

"Alcohol tends to hurt."

"On three, okay. I'll count."

"Alright."

"One... two... two and-a-half..."

"Three," Exo said quickly as she poured the alcohol onto the stallion's back.

Riptide would have screamed had it not been for the cotton pad the alabaster unicorn had shoved into his mouth last minute.

"Quiet," the mare chided.

The navy stallion whimpered as the smell of alcohol filled his nose.

"Calm down big guy, I'm almost done. Does it hurt here?" the alabaster unicorn asked as she carefully pressed around the stitches.

Riptide slowly shook his head as a tear fell from the corner of his eye.

"That's good, but I still think that you should take a shot of penicillin."

A low whine emanated from the stallion's throat as Exo gently pressed the cotton pads into place, and wrapped the navy pony in bandages once more.

When the mare gave the all clear, Riptide tore one of the morphine syringes open, inserted the needle into his foreleg, and pushed the plunger. All of the aches and pains that had previously racked the stallion's body were now washed away in a wave of warm tingling. A numbing euphoria racked his body as his mind went blank.

"That feels nice," the dark blue pony slurred before injecting himself with a green syringe. "Let's go," the stallion said as he hobbled off of the bed, cracked his neck, and planted his hooves firmly on the ground.

"We have to free the rest of the captives," Exo said firmly.

"Why?" Riptide asked through his drug induced daze.

"Because if we don't," the mare pressed her muzzle against the stallion's, "no pony else will. On top of that, whatever Crystal Shard is doing to them can't be good. We have to stop him. Not to mention that we have no idea where we are, so a little direction would be nice."

"What's the plan then?"

"First, we have to find the guard's room, there's bound to be a skeleton key to the locks, and hopefully a map of some sort. Secondly... I'll think of it when we get that far."

"I've heard stupider ideas. Lead the way, boss."

The alabaster mare sighed as she pushed the infirmary door open.

-----

"How the hell are we supposed to find the guard's room?" Riptide whispered after several minutes of making their way through the darkened halls.

"Well um... the guards are sure to have a set pattern, if we follow one of them, he's sure to lead us to the room."

"Good idea."

Time seemed to drag on as only two sets of hooves echoed throughout the halls. Exo led the way, shushing the stallion when his morphine addled mind drifted into the realm of talk.

Magically jerking on Riptide's tail, the mare stopped the navy pony from walking as a pair of masculine voices reverberated down the halls.

"Come on Duke, we're due for a shift change already," one of the voices said.

"Sure, I'm getting bored anyways," the other replied.

The two-tone unicorn nodded to the stallion, gesturing to the guards. Nodding back, Exo could feel Riptide's breath on her rear. Giving a huff, the mare slowly began to track the pair of stallions.

For several tense minutes, the alabaster unicorn followed closely behind the guards, until a wheezing gasp reminded her of Riptide.

"What's wrong," she whispered as the two guards rounded a corner.

"Morphine's wearing off," the stallion replied through clenched teeth.

"Must have been diluted. Keep steady, I need you clear headed for this next part."

"What do you need me to do?" the navy pony asked as his breaths became long and labored.

Exo peered around the corner.

"I can see the guard's room at the end of the hall. The guards are almost there, I need you to sneak up behind one, while I sneak up behind the other. Once we're close enough, were going to choke the guards, DON'T kill him, just get him to pass out."

"Sounds easy enough."

"We'll have to be quick about it too, they said that they were due for a shift change."

Riptide nodded.

"Let's go."

Muffling their hoof-steps, Exo and Riptide crept up behind their respective targets. The guards continued unaware of their attackers.

The navy stallion tilted his head towards his mark. The alabaster unicorn grimaced as she shut her eyes, flared her horn, and created a small magical barrier over her victim's muzzle.

The guard thrashed and flailed for a few seconds before his limbs went still, his eyes closed, and his body began to slump forward. Carefully Exo took hold of the guard, and gently placed him on the floor. Looking to the left, the mare saw Riptide next to an unconscious stallion of his own.

"How do we get in there without the guard inside noticing?" the stallion asked as the two reached the door.

"I've got an idea," the mare said slowly.

*tap tap tap*

The tumblers in the lock clicked into place, as the knob turned, and the door swung open.

"What took you guys so long?"

"Ding-dong!"

*POW!*

One more unconscious guard now sat on the floor.

"Effective," the dark blue pony remarked.

Stepping inside, the room was furnished with a bank of consoles, a few chairs, a table, a large cabinet, and a wall of monitors.

"Careful, we don't know if there's going to be anypony else coming in here."

Riptide grunted in confirmation.

"You dig through the filing cabinets, I'll see if I can't find something useful on these consoles."

Another grunt from the navy stallion.

Exo poured over the controls, hoping for some sort of mass release switch, anything to expedite the process of freeing the captives. No such luck though.

"You having any luck?" the mare asked as she turned to the stallion.

"I found a set of keys, they look like they fit the cells. I also found this." The dark blue pony set a parchment scroll on the tabletop, and unfurled it. The page depicted a map of Equestria with several red X's and O's.

"Where do you think we are?" Exo asked the stallion.

"If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say... here." Riptide placed a hoof on the northwestern corner of the map.

"Why do you say that?"

"If the Crystal Empire is here," Riptide said as he pointed to a colorful crystal tower overlapped with a red X. "And Canterlot is here." The capitol city held a crude drawing of both the sun and moon encircled by a black line. "The train that took us north is this little line." One of the stallion's hooves traced a dotted black line from the outskirts of Canterlot up past the Crystal Empire, and to a singular black blob at the top. "So I'm guessing that this is us." Riptide's hoof rested on a small mountain cave not too far from the Umbra prison.

"But then what's this?" the alabaster mare asked as she pointed to a purple star with a question mark to the south of Canterlot.

"I don't know, maybe a variable in this little plan of his."

"We can't worry about that now. What's the closest city?"

The navy stallion scanned the page intently for several minutes.

"It looks like there's a town to the south quite a ways, too far to tell without the key."

"That's good right? We can finally get out of here, and go home."

"That's a lot of ponies to march all across the tundra, and most of them have been starving in here for weeks. I don't know if all of them can make it to the closest town."

"We'll think of something, Right? These guys brought us in on carts. So logically there have to be more carts around here. We can use those to transport the ones too weak to make the journey on their own."

"Alright, we've got a plan. All that's left now is to-"

Riptide was cut off as the wall of monitors sparked to life, and an all too familiar voice crackled over the sound system. On the display stood a lavender stallion on top of a stage, dark sunglasses covered his eyes, a heavy cloak draped his body, and a slight limp followed him.

"Welcome friends," began Crystal Shard. "You all know why we are gathered here today correct?"

"... deal with that prick," the navy stallion finished.

The audience murmured a bit before the lavender stallion raised a hoof to silence them.

"We are here today to show that the hubris and avarice shown to us by the pegasi and unicorns can indeed be bested. I have taken it upon myself to discover a way to bring those selfish, arrogant ponies to their knees. A way to bring about an age of equality for all."

From behind the stallion the floor split, and a golden triangular plate rose from the ground on a pedestal.

"In these very caves, years ago, I discovered a power which rivaled that of the princesses themselves, a relic which dates back to the days before Discord was a foal in his mother's belly. This golden plate you see before you signifies a great discovery for the earth pony race, and a great humbling for those arrogant pegasi and greedy unicorns.

"With this artifact, our scientist have shown that the princesses have not always existed, they were created. They were born of this plate when the three tribes were balanced, and at peace. But those days have long since passed, and now the world has been thrust out of order once more.

"It is now, with a heavy heart, that I must inform you that I shall take on the burden of testing this relic. I shall spill my blood in order for you all to have a ruler worthy of leading you into battle against arrogant and selfish ponies that have belittled us for so long. No more shall we be subjugated for being just earth ponies. For when we have overthrown those oppressive masses, I promise you that we shall all be alacorns, and we shall all live eternally in greatness and prosperity. After these days have concluded, Equestria shall be reborn as the envy of all sapient creatures.

"NOW I ASK YOU ALL, WHO IS WITH ME?"

The crowd of earth ponies stomped and shouted in agreement loud enough for the echos to reach Exo and Riptide in the guard's room.

"Now you all shall have the privilege of witnessing the ascension of the earth pony race into godhood."

A pair of technicians stepped out from off-screen hauling a pair of covered carts. Removing the tarps revealed a pair of horns the length of one's foreleg, and a pair of navy wings.

"It is with these that we shall carve out a future of peace and equality for all."

Exo could hear Riptide growling beside her

Stepping up to the golden plate, Crystal Shard pulled a curved red horn from beneath the cloak.

"This, is the horn of the defeated tyrant Sombra. It still crackles with eldritch power, and with it, we shall power the plate which shall lead us all to greatness."

More cheers echoed through the hall.

Slowly the lavender stallion stepped up to the golden plate, positioned the harvested organs beside him, and touch the angry, red, broken horn to the plate. A great white flash erupted before a shadowy figure appeared from the ether.

Crystal Shard now towered over the two ponies beside him. Where his coat had been lavender before, it was now charred black. A pair of horns sprung from his forehead, one black one white, both twisting and compressing into one. From his back came a pair of massive wings starting black, but gradually fading to navy at the tips. From his eyes poured purple tendrils of smoke as the whites glowed an acid green.

The newly made alacorn looked about, green eyes slowly scanning the room. It's mouth opened. Crystal Shard gave a bestial roar as his horn flared, and a bolt of dark power shot from his horn. The vile energy struck one of the technicians off to the side, who fell to the floor with a thud, dead.

The audience screamed, scattering to the, as Crystal Shard thrashed about, firing more beams of eldritch energy.

"Come on, we've got to go," Riptide said as he threw open the door.

"You can't be serious. You just saw what he did to those ponies, he's a monster."

"That may be true, but then what am I?"

"You're a good pony who is getting in over his head."

The dark blue stallion smirked as he strode down the corridor. Snorting, Exo took the keys and the map before following after the stallion.

An eerie calm had settled over the halls, now and again they had heard the hushed whispers and muted hoof steps of other ponies. Before long, the pair reached a pair of massive oaken doors, from within came screams of terror, bolts of magic, and finally cries of anguish.

"This is where we part ways, Exo," Riptide said as he pulled out a blue packaged needle, tore the wrapping off, and injected himself with the morphine. The navy stallion shook with pleasure as the plunger bottomed out. "A guy could get addicted to this stuff."

"What do you mean 'part ways'?" the mare asked warily.

"I mean that while I'm distracting Crystal Shard, you go and free the prisoners."

"You'll die if you go in there!" Exo stomped.

"Like I don't deserve it?" The stallion chuckled to himself. "Look what I've gotten you into, I've robbed countless ponies, and even killed one with my bare hooves. If my life is all it takes to make sure that everypony else survives, then so be it." Riptide took out a red trimmed package, tore it open, and injected himself with the syringe inside.

"Are you insane?" Exo asked as she looked the navy stallion in the face. "You just injected yourself with morphine, pumping adrenaline into your system will make your heart explode."

"Only if I'm lucky."

"You've got five minutes tops, before your heart gives out. And don't you dare die on me, you're my bitch, and you won't die without my say so." Exo poked the stallion in the chest.

"I got it boss, now if you'll excuse me, my clock is ticking," Riptide replied as he pulled the massive door open, and walked into the room with the mad alacorn.

Shaking her head, Exo galloped down the halls and to the cells.

-----

The alabaster mare's hooves pounded the linoleum, nearly cracking the tile as she searched hall after hall for the prisoners. Yet every place she looked seemed to be empty, not a soul was to be seen, most likely they had already fled when Crystal Shard went mad.

Exo had begun to lose hope until she saw a lone guard, draped in golden chains and jewelry, making his way towards the exit.

"Hey you, stop!" the mare shouted as she charged the crystalline stallion.

The alabaster unicorn tackled the guard, pinning him to the wall, her foreleg pressed against his throat as rare stones and precious metals clattered on the ground.

"Where are the prisoners?" the mare demanded.

"Like I'd ever talk to a filthy unicorn," the guard snarled, even with Exo's foreleg pressed against his windpipe.

The alabaster unicorn flared her horn before the guard gave a yelp, and began to struggle.

"I don't have time for this, talk or I'll rip it off," Exo growled menacingly. The two tone mare had telekinetically grabbed hold of the guard's stallionhood.

"N-no," he stuttered as sweat began to bead at his brow.

"Uh-oh, my grip is slipping," the alabaster pony taunted as the tugged a bit harder.

"Please, don't do this, I've got a wife."

"Do you wants kids too?" Exo asked as she pulled a little more.

"Yessss," the stallion cried as tears fell down his cheek.

"Then where are the prisoners being kept."

"Down the hall, to the left, and it's the second corridor on the right," the guard cried before Exo released her hold on him.

"Anything you want to add before I go?" the two tone unicorn asked as she dropped the guard, and turned down the hall.

"No," the stallion whimpered.

"Are you sure?" The mare's horn flared once more.

"That's all I know, please," he begged defensively.

Exo huffed as she raced down the hallway.

Sure enough, the cells were exactly where the guard had described them. Rows upon rows of filthy, malnourished ponies sat in cramped, dark cells. The smell of rot and decay filled the air as several of the captives gave weak cries for help, mercy, or death.

"Don't worry everypony, I'm here to free you all. We're going to escape."

The captives sat quiet and listless as Exo pulled out the keys, and began to unlock the cells. One by one tumblers clicked into place as heavy iron doors swung open.

"Well?" the mare asked when none of the exited their cells.

"Well what?" responded one of the captives.

"Aren't you all going to escape with me?"

"Too late," another replied, "we heard a few guards talking. They said that Crystal-whatever went insane, and that they were going to leave us here as a distraction."

"That's insane, Crystal Shard's being dealt with-"

"How do you know?

"I saw somepony go in there to take care of the problem."

"That idiot was probably killed the second he met Shard."

The alabaster unicorn scowled in the direction of the pony speaking.

"Even if he is, we have to leave now before Shard gets here."

"Most of us can barely move, how do you suggest they leave?"

Exo took a deep breath before continuing.

"There are carts around here somewhere,those of you who can still move can pull them, and-"

"And what, we're all going to just die out there rather than-"

A vein pulsed in the mare's temple.

"Alright, listen," shouted the now furious mare. "You can either die in here, or live out there. I have a map, we know that there are carts out there, the only thing keeping you all in here is yourselves. I didn't escape prison, and get chased across a frozen wasteland by some psychotic asshole just to watch a bunch of prisoners die on me. Now get out of those cells before I drag you all out of there myself."

Slowly voices grumbled as pale, bony ponies stepped out from their cells. Exo was appalled at what she saw, but she couldn't worry about that now.

"Come on everypony, we've got to move now."

Grumbling, the prisoners shuffled forward, hooves scraping against the floor as the mob made its way down the halls.

For several minutes, they encountered nothing but the same gray walls that lined the rest of the facility. However, in the distance, Exo could hear angry grumbles and the rustling of coins.

The alabaster mare gestured for the crowd to stop as she continued toward the source of the noise.

The jingling grew louder as the unicorn came upon a nondescript door on the side of the hall.

"Don't worry kid," came a familiar voice, "you're cute, you'll fetch a nice price."

Throwing the door open, Exo saw the guard from earlier. A sack of coins had been slung around his neck, and below him, quivered a peach-colored curled-up pony, far too small to be either a stallion or a mare.

"Back away from the kid you creep!" the alabaster mare shouted.

"You again?" The guard stumbled back as the sack of coins threw off his balance, and he fell to the floor.

"Are you all right, he didn't hurt you, did he?" Exo asked the child, a peach colored pegasus filly with a bare flank.

"No," she replied slowly, "he pulled me out of the cell when everypony else had already gone."

"And you," the mare hissed as she turned to the guard, "give me one good reason to not toss you in with Crystal Shard right now?"

"I saved her," the stallion pleaded from the ground.

"You were planning on selling her into slavery."

"... it's better than dying at least," the guard replied pathetically.

"Not by much. If you don't want me to stab you full of adrenaline right now, and watch as your heart tears itself apart, then tell me where I can find some carts to move all of the ponies."

"They're down the hall, on the right, past a big yellow door. You can't miss it."

"Get up then, you're leading the way."

The guard yelped as Exo flared her horn, only to lift the filly onto her back.

"It's safe now, don't worry," she cooed to the filly. "Walk, unless of course you want me to make good on my promise from earlier," the mare commanded of the purple pony.

With his tail stuck firmly between his legs, the crystal stallion whimpered as he led the way to the staging area.

The trio exited the room and rounded the corner, meeting the rest of the crowd before continuing to the exit.

Past the bright yellow doors, sat a single large carriage scarcely large enough for half of the ponies in the group.

"Alright, everypony, the sick and any kids first, then the mares and stallions, " Exo called to the crowd.

With annoyed grunts, the stallions stepped backwards as several of the boniest ponies piled into the carriage, gently, the alabaster unicorn passed the pegasus filly from her back into the carriage, before turning back to face the remainder of the crowd.

"Can anypony here read a map?" Exo asked as she pulled the map out from the ether.

"I-I can," said a sea foam mare with a compass rose on her flank.

"Good, take this, take point, and make sure that you all stay on course."

Reluctantly the mare took the roll of parchment from the unicorn's magic, unfurled it, and stared at it intently for a few moments before deciding on a direction.

"I know, which way to go, but who here is going to pull the cart?"

"I'll take care of that in a minute, just make sure you don't get lost."

The two tone mare turned her attention to the sulking guard in the corner.

"If I find out that you did anything to that filly," Exo snarled, "then you're going to be praying for death by the time in through with you. You got that?"

The guard mumbled weakly in response. The alabaster mare slapped her hoof across the stallion's face before asking again.

"I said," she began slowly, "you got that?"

"Yes," the guard whimpered.

"Good, then get hooked up, you're doing the pulling."

The mare's attention was drawn back to the cave as a great cracking sound filled the air.

"I'm going to go back to look for somepony," the two-tone mare said to the group as she trotted back into the caves.

"Be careful," a pony shouted.

The single, crystal guard dug his hooves into the snow, and the axle of the cart began to creak as the former prisoners made their way to Vanhoover.

With that, Exo left the fleeing ponies, ran back towards the mad alacorn, and hopefully, Riptide.

~~~~~

The heavy wooden door creaked open as Riptide stepped inside, and the sounds of Exo running in the opposite direction filled the air. Inside, the ceiling of the room sat high, wooden beams crossed, supported by four wooden pillars.

Around the chamber sat corpses, stiff and cold. Some had looks of absolute terror and others still had frozen with sneers of anger or jealousy on their faces.

So much death disgusted the stallion, but he pressed on.

"Well, well, well," hissed a voice from across the room. "If it isn't my favorite punching bag?"

"Crystal Shard!" the navy pony snarled.

The mad alacorn leapt across the room, easily standing two heads above Riptide.

"You got some work done I see," the dark blue stallion remarked.

"Like the wings?" Shard asked. "They were quite a steal."

"Looked better on me, at least they looked natural," the navy stallion said as he began to circle the ebony alacorn.

"Good to see you haven't lost any of your cockiness, even after being grounded." Crystal Shard's head followed the dark blue pony around the room.

"Although, I must say that despite the transformation, you're still ugly as ever."

The mad alacorn dropped his head, and fired a blast of magic where the stallion was standing. Instead of a navy corpse, a splintered column sat in his place.

"Missed me, missed me... I'd finish that, but I'm afraid that you'd follow through on it."

Crystal Shard roared as he twisted his head in search of Riptide. Turning around, the ebony stallion saw the dark blue pony reclining against the wall, a familiar smirk plastered across his face.

"That all you got, Bright Eyes?"

The mad alacorn charged the stallion. Riptide ducked away as Crystal Shard crashed against the wall before rearing his head once more.

"Stand still you little shit," Shard commanded.

"What's the fun in that?" The navy stallion wheezed as he clutched his chest.

Crystal Shard's horn glowed with eldritch power and a shadowy beam flew towards the dark blue pony.

Giving a yelp, Riptide rolled out of the way, but not before the bolt of power disintegrated pieces of his tail, and the pillar it had hit. The navy stallion cried in pain as he landed roughly on his back.

"On your back already, I suppose that Red taught you well," the alacorn grinned as he sauntered over to the dark blue pony.

"Didn't teach me a thing actually," Riptide said as he scrambled to his hooves.

Emerald fire seemed to pour from the alacorn's eyes. Giving a roar, Crystal Shard charged the navy pony. The dark blue stallion galloped away as fast as he could, but the ebony alacorn was faster.

The mad god ran past Riptide, only to see the stallion rushing at him. Smirking, Crystal Shard braced himself for impact. Below him, a navy blur passed, weaving in between his legs before coming to a stop against a massive wooden column. The alacorn bucked, shattering the pillar behind him.

"Not dead ye-" Riptide was cut off as Crystal Shard's head whipped around, catching the stallion in the side, sending him hurdling at the final column.

The navy stallion coughed, a coppery taste filling his mouth, as he struggled to sit up against the wooden pillar behind him.

"You're still just an earth pony," Riptide chuckled as he rested against the final column.

"Fool," Shard shouted, "I have all of the powers of a god, you are no better than dirt pony yourself now, and you dare criticize."

"You're not a god, you're just an asshole with an ego, same as me. Only difference is that I know my limits. Hell, if you are a god, then you must be a pretty shitty one, can't fly, can barely do magic. Why, I bet that you couldn't get me with a simple fire spell."

"You shall see, you will burn before my might in everlasting hellfire."

The tip of the black stallion's horn began to glow a sickly green as a miniscule emerald ember formed at the tip. Slowly the ball grew into a blaze, and began to radiate powerful waves of heat.

Just as the ball of emerald fire exploded from the tip of Crystal Shard's horn, Riptide dashed away from the pillar. The bolt of magic splintered the wood, and with it, sections of the roof began to crack and break as heavy wooden beams on the ceiling collapsed under the weight of the roof.

The navy stallion jumped and side-stepped the falling debris while the ebony alacorn could only watch as great oaken bars fell on top of him, knocking him to the ground before rocks crushed his ribcage and broke his wings.

For a moment, the stones stopped falling, and when all was quiet, Riptide looked over at the pinned "god". With a snort, the navy stallion lifted a large rock high over the head of Crystal Shard.

CRACK!

Riptide broke the ebony alacorn's horn, black and white fragments littered the floor as the dark blue pony heaved, clutching his chest.

The ebony alacorn gave a wet cough as he reared his head what he could, and pointed the remainder of his horn at the navy stallion. With a sadistic grin, Crystal Shard poured what little strength he had into the broken appendage, only to be met with a flash of sparks.

"Just finish it!" Crystal Shard shouted from beneath the fallen debris, as his head fell to the floor once more.

"No," Riptide growled with all of the anger, hatred, and vitriol he could muster.

"Why not?" the alacorn snarled.

"I'm not a monster." The navy stallion spat to the side before turning away and exiting the door. "I'm much worse."

~~~~~

"What the hell happened in there?" Exo asked as she saw Riptide step out from the behind the massive oaken doors.

"Would you believe that I ripped the tag off of a mattress?" the navy pony said from behind his grin.

"No, I wouldn't. What happened to Crystal Shard?"

"He's been dealt with," the stallion said simply.

"Did you..."

"I didn't kill him. Look, we don't have time for this, a few of the support beams went down, this place doesn't have too long."

"WHAT!?"

"Just run!" Riptide yelled as chunks of the ceiling began to crumble and fall to the floor.

Sections of wall and pieces of ceiling fell to the floor. The pair raced down the corridors, avoiding the falling detritus.

Exo and Riptide ran, meeting dead-end after dead-end, each path covered by either walls or fallen debris.

"Where the hell's the exit?!" The navy stallion shouted as the pair backed away from another walled hallway.

"Hey," Exo called, "I think that I may have found the way out, help me move this beam that's in the way."

"Great," the stallion replied as he rounded the corner to meet the mare.

At the end of the hallway sat a door, and beyond it stars could be seen sitting on the night sky.

"Help me lift this," the mare said as she gestured at a large wooden beam blocking the path.

Side by side, Exo and Riptide strained against gravity as the beam inched slowly upward.

"Go quick," the stallion said as sweat poured down his muzzle.

Exo knelt down, and began to crawl beneath the debris. Before she reached the other side, several more stones fell on top of the wooden beam, eliciting a cry of anguish from the stallion.

"Hurry," Riptide groaned.

"Alright, I'm through," the alabaster unicorn shouted as her back hooves cleared the wreckage.

With a sigh of relief, the beam dropped before several more rocks fell from the ceiling. On the opposite side, the navy stallion panted heavily.

"Get up, quick. We can still get this out of the way."

"Can't... lift, hurt... too much."

"I can't leave you there."

"Go!" Riptide shouted.

"But I-"

"Just fucking go! Get the fuck out of here, and let me die in peace already you stupid fucking cunt."

"What..."

"I didn't fucking stutter you dumb-ass," the irate stallion yelled. "You've been a god-damned pain in my ass since I met you. Now just fucking go away."

From the opposite side of the debris, Exo could hear the heavy hoof falls of Riptide galloping into the distance. With tears in her eyes, the alabaster mare burst through the door, and ran from the entrance of the cave.

Exo's heart raced, and sweat poured down her face, the moon her only stoic companion as she raced across the frozen wasteland. The pearl unicorn closed her eyes for an eternity, the soft crunch of snow beneath her hooves sounding in her ears as she contemplated the stallion's words. Eventually she heard difference in the sound beneath her hooves, the steady compression of ice gave way to the hard cracks of gravel.

Looking up, she saw an old barren road, with a forest of coniferous trees ahead of her. Through the snow-capped pines sat a sign.

Vanhoover 5kms

-----

(A few months later)

The cold gray skies wept as Exo sat in front of a pair of graves on top of a lonely hill with a dead leafless tree on the side. One unremarkable slab of slate held no name, only a small whirlpool in its center. The other a crudely carved fruit bowl, more than a few chips marred its rough surface.

"Idiot," the mare whispered as a frigid rain pelted her coat, and soaked her to the marrow.

A small wet repetitive *clop* brought her back to her senses. Looking behind her, the alabaster unicorn saw a grizzled stallion in a trench coat.

"Did you know this pony?" he asked.

"He was a," jerk, asshole, idiot, "he was a friend," Exo said with a small smile before turning back to the graves.

"Good to hear," the old buck replied, "friends are hard to come by."

"I know... I know."

The two sat there in silence for a few moments as the rain subsided a bit.

"How did you know them?" the mare asked.

Receiving no answer, the unicorn turned to face the stallion. When she looked behind her, she no trace of him, only a small pink parcel with a red bow.

Sorry, read a small card attached to the box.

A hoof shaking with trepidation, the mare picked up the package, carefully undid the bow, and peeled away the wrapping paper. Lifting one cardboard flap and then the other, Exo saw a small silver necklace with a black opal centerpiece.

Author's Note:

I actually had this whole idea for an alternate ending. It would've dramatically changed the story.

Anyways, the change would happen right around the time they're tossed in the torture chamber cave thing after escaping from prison. Instead of Riptide being taken, it would have been Exo. They toss he back in later sans her horn. They escape, somehow, and make their way to the fusion plate thing. Riptide being a not jerk, transfers his wings over to Exo, making her a pegasus (technically an alicorn.) They escape together, and sappy endings all around, maybe Riptide would walk off as he drops Exo off at her parent's house, never to be seen again. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, right?

Comments ( 1 )

I really like the sense of the prison experience here, even if the sentence seems a little harsh. I might have liked to see Exo spend longer in there than she actually did, though...

Login or register to comment