• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 2,448 Views, 149 Comments

Flarity Group Collab - Jondor



100 - 500 word, prompt based mini-fics by the authors from the Flarity group here on FiMFiction. Because every shipping needs a prompt tag game.

  • ...
22
 149
 2,448

PreviousChapters Next
Choice - Mercury Gilado

Written by: Mercury Gilado

This road was simply a walk of shame! Humiliation, and loss!

“Don’t worry Rarity, I have just enough bits left for the train fare. Oh! And a little extra, too.”

Every puddle the pony plodded by was a reminder of the obscene travesty! Some half-wit losing her luggage, and another swiping her purse when she was already kicked down!

“Rarity, you look fine without makeup.” Fluttershy sighed heavily as her friend spasmed at the slightest provocation.

“But Fluttershy! This whole trip I so. Painstakingly. Planned! It has been ruined beyond your wildest imagination!” Rarity cried.

“I feel bad too, having to miss that show, but please don’t be so hard on yourself.” Fluttershy raised a hoof to silence Rarity once more. “And it wasn’t a waste of time, either. Spending a… mostly relaxing trip with you is all I need to be happy.”

Fluttershy smiled, and looked over to Rarity. Her eyes shimmered with many things, regret mostly. Seeing her without that lovely eyeshadow of hers was a little strange, but she was still Rarity.

“You’re staring,” Rarity said, lips pursed. “Why are you staring?”

“Because you have lo-- um, just… making sure you’re okay?” Fluttershy whispered. Her mane fell over the side of her face when she looked away, a pink wall between the two.

“You can at least come out and say something!” Rarity huffed. “I am a big mare, however. Despite my kingdom for, well, all my familiar commodities, I must wait until we return home. Then, we can simply forget about this abysmal outing for the rest of time.”

If Fluttershy didn’t know better, today was the worst day of Rarity’s life with the way she spoke. Rarity’s penchant for melodrama was her stress relief, so she decided to leave it at that. But as Rarity’s ranting bubbled forth, her mood soured and soured.

Yesterday, the two visited the park while waiting for the ultimately bad news about Rarity’s lost luggage. The noontime fountain sparkled like the ocean before them as they quietly conversed on a bench. She remembered wanting the moment to last forever.

“I can’t believe the nerve, Fluttershy! Making us wait for hours, just to admit their folly! What a waste of time!”

With a wince, Fluttershy swallowed hard. The station came into view as a bell tolled in the distance. On either side of the street, curio shops dominated.

“And the worst part is that we have absolutely nothing to show for this! I had hoped for the director to sign this program of mine as a fond reminder of Manehattan’s wonderful culture, but instead we have these wrinkled ticket stubs to remind us about all the wrongs terrible customer service has wrought us!” With her magic, Rarity promptly shredded them to bits and loosed them in the wind.

Fluttershy watched the pieces tumble ahead, past the open door of a shop. Then, an idea came to her.

“Rarity, I think I have some extra bits to spend. Why don’t you pick out souvenir, so you do have something to show for?”

Her companion gasped. “Darling, you’re already paying fare for my sorry tush. I couldn’t!”

“Nothing would make me happier than making our trip worth something to you,” Fluttershy said, firm. Rarity flinched at her sharp tone.

“W-well, if you insist.” Fluttershy wordlessly hoofed the bits over, and Rarity entered the shop alone. As she browsed the glass animals and ashtrays, she looked over to the sulking mare through the front window. Eyes puffy and jaw firmly set, it was plain that her friend was upset, but only now did Rarity realize.

Unable to bear the guilt, Rarity cantered out to her friend’s side. “Dear, what’s the matter? I know it’s been an awful day-and-a-half --”

“No, it hasn’t,” Fluttershy whispered. “I really did enjoy it, Rarity.”

“Then what’s the matter?”

Fluttershy sniffled. “Rarity… I love spending time with you, but sometimes I think you don’t feel the same at all. I meant it, earlier, that I was happy, but you keep saying what a disaster this trip was, and… I guess I’m not good enough to change that.”

“Sweetie, I didn’t realize,” Rarity stuttered. “That I was the reason you haven’t been happy. But I couldn’t…” Rarity trailed off as she brushed Fluttershy’s mane out of her face. She paused, then turned back into the store, leaving her confused friend behind.

Rarity zeroed in on something within, Fluttershy could see, and was in and out in seconds. Within her magic was a butterfly, a pearly jade color. Again, Rarity brushed Fluttershy’s mane aside, and clipped it on just by her ear.

“Rarity?”

“I couldn’t see your face.”

Rarity chuckled. “You must understand, I AM genuinely miffed about all of this, but I wasn’t being considerate of your feelings. I love spending time with you too, Fluttershy. I-I guess I could have shown that better. We both could have,” she stressed.

Her cheeks warmed up. “I’ll be honest next time Rarity, don’t worry.”

The two embraced each other. To Fluttershy’s surprise, Rarity nuzzled her mane as well. “Please do! I need somepony to rein me in, after all,” she muttered into her ear. The mare giggled at Fluttershy’s sputtering, then sauntered ahead. No longer trembling with bitterness, Fluttershy easily caught up with her as the two headed for home.

PreviousChapters Next