• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 2,447 Views, 149 Comments

Flarity Group Collab - Jondor



100 - 500 word, prompt based mini-fics by the authors from the Flarity group here on FiMFiction. Because every shipping needs a prompt tag game.

  • ...
22
 149
 2,447

PreviousChapters Next
Here For You - Karrakaz

Written by: Karrakaz

The familiar chattering of my animal friends wakes me up. Morning. The sun is just peeking over the mountains in the distance and it promises today is going to be a beautiful day. I sigh softly and stretch before getting out of bed, putting some determination in my steps as I make my way down the stairs.

You’re coming to visit today. I’m panicky, anxious, nervous, and scared, but a little excited as well. I know I shouldn’t be, it’s not nice. I should dread what’s coming, what you’re coming over to tell me. Even though you haven’t told me yet, I know that you’ll tell me you’re going to break up with him today. It has been close to a month, and they usually don’t last much longer than that.

Four weeks. Four weeks since you last found a new colt friend. Which I could see in your smile even before I had opened the door all the way. Your smile is always a little happier when you’ve found somepony to love.

Again, I had to watch from the sidelines. N-not that I follow you or anything... but I’ve learned to recognise the signs. You were smiling widely and nearly dancing on my front porch, just like the very first time. I invited you in, we sat down for tea, and without any prompting you exclaimed that you’d found a new colt friend and that he was the best thing that had ever happened to you.

Just like the last thirty times.

And just like the last thirty times I listened to the story how the handsome stallion had swept you off your hooves and that you already had ideas for the wedding.

In the weeks after that, it was all I could do to keep my thoughts to myself as the spark in your eyes died once more. I wanted to be angry with you, frustrated, or at least brave enough to tell you what you needed to hear: That none of those stallions would ever be good enough for you.

But after the fight we had the last time I tried, I’m scared to.

There’s a dainty knock on the door, and I can tell that you’ve been crying without even having to open it. Your knocking becomes more forceful when you’re upset.

You’re standing there on the porch, looking as immaculate and miserable as the last time it happened. “Good morning, Rarity,” I say softly. “Come in.”

I get a dainty nod in response before you walk in. A mask of composure that holds up while I get some refreshments, and cracks the moment I’ve made tea and sit down next to you.

“Oh, darling, it was horrible,” you say, burying your face in your hooves as the tears leak out from behind the mask. “He said that I was being ‘too clingy’ and that he wanted a mare who was more ‘his speed’.”

A small, jealous part of me wants to say ‘I told you so’, but instead I wrap my forelegs around you and nuzzle you under the chin. My heart screams at me for being so familiar when you’ve just had the worst break up of your life, but I shush it. Each of your breakups have been ‘the worst’ and this time, I’m going to tell you what you need to hear.

I have to swallow back the fear at the thought of losing your friendship if you get angry again like the last time, but I can’t stand to watch you do this to yourself anymore. I want you to be happy, rather than crying into my mane every month or so.

You’re doing it again, your forelegs wrapped around my shoulders in turn and your tears soaking into that ‘waterfall of pink’ as you put it. I don’t make any reassuring noises like I usually do. I can't if I want to be strong enough for this next part.

How much of a routine has everything become if you look up questioningly because I am not making cooing noises? Way too much is what my mind tells me. So I take a deep breath and look into those blue eyes that go so well with the rest of you.

“Rarity...” I have to gulp again to steel myself against your watery gaze. “None stallions are good for you. A-and if you can’t see that... then... then we can’t be friends anymore. I don’t want you to keep hurting yourself. You need to stop.” stop and see that there are ponies close to you that love you. I don’t say that last part out loud, but brace myself for what could very well be the last conversation in our friendship.

Your eyes tear up again making me feel like the most unkind pony in the world. I really shouldn’t have done that, but sometimes kindness means being honest, even if it's not easy.

You don’t say anything but I can see that you agree with me while you collapse into my shoulder again. Your eyes always regain a little of their spark and you nod almost imperceptibly when you know I’m right but don’t have the strength to say anything.

This time, I coo and make reassuring noises, assuring you that everything will be fine. It’s not going to end here, and you’re going to yell at me a few more times before I can let you know how I feel, but that’s okay.

I’m here for you, just like the last thirty times.

Author's Note:

Apologies to Karrakaz. I derped and totally missed adding this one.

PreviousChapters Next