• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 2,447 Views, 149 Comments

Flarity Group Collab - Jondor



100 - 500 word, prompt based mini-fics by the authors from the Flarity group here on FiMFiction. Because every shipping needs a prompt tag game.

  • ...
22
 149
 2,447

PreviousChapters Next
Revival - Squinty Mudmane

Written by: Squinty Mudmane

There was a final hacking, gasping, pathetic cough followed by a flash of flame and a faint rustle as ashes trickled onto the grass. And then… nothing. A short distance away, next to a wild rose bush, Rarity waited with bated breath, eyes dancing back and forth between the small black piles strewn throughout the clearing.

A minute passed. Two minutes. Five.

She bit her lip; it had not taken this long last time. Had something gone wrong? She looked at Fluttershy next to her and opened her mouth to speak, but the pegasus shushed her gently and put a hoof to Rarity’s lips. The touch was the gentlest of caresses. It tasted of grass and dew, and Rarity felt a little shiver run through her at the contact.

“Patience,” Fluttershy said ever so softly, her cyan eyes locked with Rarity’s. “They’re waiting for the perfect moment.”

“The… perfect moment?” Rarity whispered back, scarcely daring to draw breath.

Fluttershy nodded. “M-hmm. They have a flair for the dramatic.” The corners of her mouth tugged in a devious little smile, the tip of her hoof brushing ever so lightly over Rarity’s lower lip to her cheek and guiding her attention back to the clearing. “Reminds me of somepony else I know…”

Rarity was just about to reply—she had such a good one ready, too; full of wit and playful sass—when the face of the sun peeked up over the edge of the horizon, making the clouds look as if they had caught fire. At that moment, as if swept up by a non-existent wind, the ashes scattered around the clearing spiralled skywards, twisting and contorting. Then it happened.

It was as if a second miniature sun was born as dozens of phoenixes rose from the ashes in all their fiery glory, lighting up the clearing as if it was the middle of the day. They danced and spun through the air, weaving among one another and crying out in unrestrained exultation. Flames trailed in their wake, washing harmlessly over the trees and plants. Rarity felt the kiss of fire against her cheek as one of the phoenixes swept past her less than a hoof’s breadth away, though the touch left scant but a pleasant lingering warmth on her skin.

She stared, open-mouthed and transfixed, so caught up in the majestic display in front of her eyes that she barely noticed the pink tail slipping over and intertwining with her own.

PreviousChapters Next