• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 9,313 Views, 247 Comments

Discord's Helping Hoof - The Wizard of Words



Ill-content with his life in Ponyville, Discord looks for a way to aleve his growing sense of boredom. Believing his is sincere, Fluttershy suggests helping ponies in ways only he can. And Discord has such a unique way to help ponies in need...

  • ...
23
 247
 9,313

You're Never Going To See It Coming

“Well there’s another set of ponies down. I wonder how many that leaves to go?” Discord mused as he floated through the air, backstroking his paw and claw as he kicked his legs. The air was just the right temperature for a swim. “Maybe it should be three. Three down and three to go. Just enough order in the chaos to keep those uptight ponies happy.”

He turned the in air, turning his backstroke into a breaststroke. He made a few reps with his limbs, the ponies beneath him staring up in utter confusion. Discord smiled wistfully down to them, charmed by their blank looks and terrified features.

“Oh, the small things,” the draconequus mused as he let his tail start to propel him forward. “When it’s too much to ask for a world completely consumed by chaos, you have to learn to appreciate the oddities. They’re what get you by.” His forelimbs swung around his body in opposite directions, causing him to spin in slow circles through the air.

He deeply enjoyed the sights of his twisted whims brought to life. Watching clouds spin into houses, that melded into ponies, that twisted into grass, up into trees, and then finally back to the clouds again. It all tickled at his heartstrings. The changing sights would sicken most ponies, but to Discord it was the best kind of therapy he could ever ask for. It kept his mind active, twisted, and, most importantly, certain in its perceptiveness. Like the black and white striped pony currently walking down the road.

Discord stopped spinning on a bit.

His mismatched eyes stared at the alien pony, taking in details completely new to him in every which way. Her mane was buzzed and cut, her coat stripped in clashing colors-- enough jewelry hanging from her neck to completely hide it-- and her cutie mark looked like it was a natural part of her coat. Aside from the four legs, head, mane, and tail, she looked different from any pony Discord has seen before. It was like love at first sight.

He popped out of existence in midair, shocking the ponies who were beneath him. When he shined back into existence, it caused a stall in the mare he appeared in front of. Her cerulean eyes stared up at him in a shock, taken aback by his sudden appearance. Any moment now, she would take a few steps back, turn tail and run screaming. Discord could see it happening now.

To the shock, and joy, of the draconequus, all the pony did was walk around the taller being, not paying him any mind.

“Playing hard to get?” Discord mockingly asked as he walked side by side with the pony, easily matching her pace. “I’ve never been so complimented in my life! Would you care for a bushel of flowers?” He lowered his paw to the front of the mare, causing her pace to slow, but not stop. With a knowing grin, Discord flipped his paw in a quick circle.

Instantly a set of flowers, or, what could just barely pass as flowery vegetation, appeared in his hands. Their stems were reversed, petals surrounded by pistils, and, to top it all off, sunlight was being shone from their leaves. The pony stared at them with a gaze that bordered on suspension, but was more than home in repulsion.

“I call them reverse petunias,” his voice spoke cheerily to the striped mare. “They’re good for the skin.” The pony turned her cheek and began to walk around him once more. Discord wasn’t merely amused, he was enraptured. He dropped the flowers to the ground, not minding as they quickly dissolved into the grass.

“The hardest fish to catch is the greatest prize of a fisher,” he spoke aloud, taking to the air above the striped pony. “And to a draconequus who has it all, walking away from the one pony that ignores me simply cannot be done.” He landed in front of the mare again, staring down at her with his mismatched eyes. She stared up at him with a defiant gaze. It felt like his heart was on fire. The smoke coming from his nostrils was proof of that.

Then, to Discord’s great pleasure, she spoke.

“Discord, you creature of tricks. Leave me be before I must deliver some kicks.”

The draconequus’s lips practically split his face with the smile they made. It was at least wide enough to make his tooth fall out, much to the foreign zebra’s disgust. Without any worry, however, Discord knelt down and plucked the tooth from the ground, pushing it back into place.

“Do pardon me,” he spoke easily. “It’s just so hard to keep track of myself when I come across new faces. And I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you before. And, believe me, I’ve been almost everywhere. That leaves me with the obvious questions.” Discord snapped his claw. In a flash he appeared beside the zebra, one of his arms leaning against the smaller creature. She bared his weight with a scowl.

“Tell me, if you don’t mind, who are you and where did you come from?” While he leaned on her with one arm, his claw proceeded to lightly wrap across her forehead, each talon deftly tapping on the bone. “And why is it the first thing you say to me is an insult. That’s just rude you know.”

“I speak only the truth, as I have known you since my youth.” Nothing short of bravely, the zebra twisted her head from the draconequus’s grasp, pushing his weight off of her as she trotted forward. She was quick to turn and face him. He continued to lean on the open air, wrapping around empty space. “I am Zecora, hailing from the Everfree. You are Discord, a servant to all that should never be.” Her words only made the draconequus smile broadly, a dark chuckle passing by his lips.

“Zecora is it--such a different name. You know I like things that are different. It means they're not normal, and I’m sure we can both agree that normal is just so boring these days.” With no preparation or patience, Discord gripped the top of his head with his great lion paw. He plucked his own head from his shoulders. Zecora watched on in silent mortification.

He extended his arm outwards, head still in its grasp. Said head yawned greatly as he did so. Then with a toss, the head sailed through the air, landing at the zebra’s hooves. Zecora backpedaled from it, lips snarling in disgust at the thing. It stopped shortly after it hit the ground, landing with its mismatched eyes facing the other creature.

“And coming from the Everfree too, that explains why I might not know you. After all, why should I bother to mess with a place that’s already so different. And you live there to boot!” As if issuing a command, Discord’s body took two steps forward and kicked his head, letting it sail upwards into the air. It landed on his shoulders flawlessly. He smiled down at the zebra, as if the trick was a show. There was no applause.

“I live where the land provides, far away from prying eyes. If such lands kept you at bay, it is only one more reason why I should stay.” The zebra stared up at him with defiant eyes. Discord just let his paw and claw leap for his chest, a pained expression washing over his features.

“Oh the pain!” He mockingly cried as he reached outwards with his claw. His body became rigid, holding perfectly still. Then, like a wind was blown, he began to fall backwards. He did so right into a freshly dug grave, complete with an unmarked tombstone. Zecora gasped in shock. “Just bury me now and get it over with,” he called from beneath the ground. “And please, in that order.” For not the first time, and not nearly for the last, the pony was not amused.

“Arise from your false grave, you’re no creature that needs to be saved.” A chuckle came from beneath the earth. A moment later, a bright flash lit the air, blinding the zebra. She raised her hoof against the light, only to feel it disappear soon after she had. When Zecora could see again, she saw Discord standing in front of her once more, not a hair, tooth, or eye out of place. It was odd checking for such things with a creature such as him.

“I do hope you enjoyed the show. It was all improv by the way, in case you couldn’t tell.” His smile was far more tamed, but Zecora as not playing his game.

“Enough!” She cried at the draconequus, successfully silencing the Spirit of Disharmony. “I came to town for supplies and tools. I did not venture in to see a fool.” Zecora turned from him, flicking her tail as she left. She had no desire to turn around.

“Ooh! Maybe I can help then.” The zebra didn’t bother to turn her head to know the Mad God was floating just beside her, doubtlessly testing her already strained patience. “You know I can make anything happen with just a flick of my wrist or snap of my claws. It really is much easier than trekking through this bore of a town.”

“Any deal with you will not help my brew.” She turned her gaze from Discord even as she spoke. Her golden eyes were focused on the path far ahead of her. Zecora may have lived in the Everfree, but she had ventured into Ponyville far more than once before. Discord, however, chuckled beside her.

She heard the flash of his magic. Then she felt a light weight perch on her head. She sucked in a low breath, already knowing what it was. But, as if to make sure she completely understood, Discord tapped his now miniature hand on the zebra’s forehead. He sat on her head, now a tenth of his normal size.

“Oh come now, don’t be a spoilsport.” The miniature draconequus jeered, leaning over one side of her mane as he looked down at her. “Besides, I made a promise to a, oh wow these words still taste like year old cider, good friend of mine not to do any harm to any pony.” He felt his ride slow her pace until she came to a complete stop. Then he was promptly thrown from her head by a wicked thrashing. In another flash of magic, he was standing in front of her, full sized and grinning. Zecora was not smiling, but neither was she scowling.

“You speak of the mare named Fluttershy, the pegasus who fears flying high in the sky?” Discord chuckled lowly at the rhythmic scheme to her speech. It was so positively rare he couldn’t help but love it.

“I do indeed,” he confirmed as he bowed to match the ponies height. “She took notice of my boredom these past two days and put me to task with helping other ponies around and about town. Technically you live around town, and you’re currently about it, so you qualify twice over!” His cheer was met with little enthusiasm from the zebra.

Zecora stared at the misshaped and draconequus currently thrusting his muzzle against her nose. She had heard much about Discord, and had read even more in the tales of old. A tricker, a deceiver, and a master of twisted arts. There was no creature or spirit alive in the past, present, or the approaching future that could match his chaotic ways. It was only too fortunate, and too odd, that he now proclaimed to help others.

Every part of her told her to deny this twisted being his wish, to let Discord simply attempt to annoy her further for the remainder of her visit. It would be the wise choice, and most likely the correct choice. However, no matter how honeyed his words appeared to be, the Mad God was a creature of deception, not lies. She, Zecora, a master of the use of words, could think of no obvious way the draconequus could twist the words of his good deeds.

Fluttershy was the key. Using the mare that was now in charge of his reformation would cast a line of thinking that would be easy to see false leads trailing from. Saying that the pegasus had asked him to do good with his magic was a thing she could not easily find false truths stemming from. Nor could she see any truly heinous or undermining acts that would be the root of such a declaration. That left only one gnarled root that would turn his words and actions to a path she did not wish to see.

“Within the Everfree, very little comes easy to me. Most of the goods I need come from here, if need be, for a fee. But these trips are too frequent for my time, often times feeling much like a climb. Simply, I have many tasks that need to be done,” Zecora spoke carefully, a wry eye watching the joyful expression across Discord’s muzzle. “How would you help me, if only with one?”

Discord beat the ends of his large pawed fingers over his chin, looking down at the zebra with mismatched eyes. His crooked and twisted form remained oddly still as his mind worked, doubtlessly in ways that Zecora would not even wish to understand. Then, with a brightness in his eyes the striped mare recognized, he snapped his fingers and vanished into thin air.

He reappeared next to her, arcing over her body with his paw to the ground and claw hanging just in front of him. The crooked lips and smile over his face were just a breath’s length from Zecora’s muzzle.

“Since I feel doing things in order is completely inappropriate, the only sensible thing is to do all your tasks at once.” He held up a single digit of his claw as he spoke. His words, however, were already traveling down a path Zecora did not like. “With my magic, there are many outs you can take, be it a larger pouch or perhaps even a larger mouth.” The zebra had no idea what he was speaking of. The draconequus’s features fell flat as carved boards as he answered the unspoken question. “Give me a break, I don’t rhyme as much as you do.”

In a flash he was gone and out of her sight. Zecora whirled once in search of him, spotting not hide, hair, nor scale of the Mad God. That was until another flash caught the edge of her vision. She turned to see him standing in a vacant lot, free of any ponies, carts, or homes. He was rubbing his paw and claw together at a pace that gave the zebra a raised brow. Smoke was beginning to billow from the action.

“So how do you make it simple to do all your tasks at once, you may ask? Well, the answer is rather clear.” His two forelimbs separated, expanding until they were held far apart from one another. In between them sat a proud and mischievous smile.

“You bring them all together!”

His paw and claw met again with a thundering clap, accompanied quickly by a blinding light. Zecora instantly brought her foreleg up to her eyes, keeping the infuriating brightness from damaging her retinas. But even with her lids shut and a mass of muscle, fur, and skin covering them, her eyes could still see the light of Discord’s magic. A uncomfortable grunt left the zebra’s lips, complete with grit teeth and flexed muscles.

Then in the next instant the light was gone, taking with it the need for the zebra to shield her gaze. However, she kept her hoof where it was.

She was never one to deny the world what it was, but she was hesitant to accept the workings and results of pure magic. Whatever was now in front of her, either around, above, or even beneath Discord was something the zebra doubted with all her heart and soul she would enjoy.

But only a foal would shut out the world by hiding their sight with their legs, and Zecora was no foal.

Swallowing on what she knew would be a precious pocket of air, the zebra slowly lowered her foreleg. She grimaced as she opened her eyes with squinted lids. As soon as she saw the draconequus’s work, her eyes shot open, golden irises starring in unabashed disbelief. The crowd around her did much the same.

Standing tall and still in the once vacant lot was Zecora’s home.

She knew instantly it was her home and not some well-done replica or mirage. The leaves billowed in perfect tune with the wind. A small puff of cloud drifted into the leaves, separating and dissipating as it did so. Her carved ornaments and wards hung from the branches, swinging in the exact pattern she had arranged them in. Looking through the window, she could even see the brew she was letting steep steam.

The clincher for the zebra, however, was the draconequus standing next to the carved tree. Clapping his palm and claw together, he dusted off the work his chaotic magic had cast. The smile across his twisted lips bordered on satisfaction, but Zecora saw its true home to be in insanity.

“Well, that took a bit more magic than I expected.” Discord placed his asymmetrical digits on his slender hips, mismatched eyes critiquing his own work. It was biasedness of the highest order. “The tree’s alive, everything’s the same, and your new home is all set to go. And, to top it all off, I kept myself from going to pieces.”

As he finished his declaration, his draconic tail began to fall apart, chunks landing on the ground in an ungracious manner. Zecora would have winced in abjection if her eyes were not glued on her misplaced home.

“Close enough for me,” Discord spoke again. “Not whole or empty, the subtle kind of chaos.” He chuckled darkly to himself. “Oh, but I can see you are just awestruck with my work. No need to thank me now. Just appreciate my good work and enjoy your day.”

Before Zecora could say, or more accurately, scream a word of protest, Discord vanished in another flash of light.

When the light died, he was nowhere to be seen.

The zebra continued to stare at her misplaced home, unsure of what to do, but not unaware of the crowd around her.

As soon as Twilight saw the flash of light from across Ponyville, she knew where to go. Also, completely coincidentally, as soon as she starting running towards the source of the light, she wished for not the first time she knew how to operate her new wings properly. Her hooves beat against the ground as she galloped through the ponies and carts, weaving between them with the prize in her mind’s eye.

It didn’t take a pony of her intellectual caliber to figure out that a large display of light like the one she had seen was magic, and any foal from Trottingham to Dodge Junction would be able to figure out that that Discord loved showing off his magic. Putting two and two together, Twilight knew exactly where she had to go.

What she didn’t expect, however, was the rainbow trail growing next to her.

“Dash?” She spoke the name like a question, nearly shouting it between her breaths. The trail of prismatic colors slowed in its growth, shrinking until its front end flew next to the galloping alicorn. Twilight twisted her head and saw the familiar face.

“Twilight?” Dash spoke, surprised. Confusion was more than evident in her pink eyes. “Why are you in such a rush?” If she had the time, Twilight would have let out a bark of laughter.

“You’re not going to believe it,” she began, alternating her vision on the pegasus beside her and the crowd she continued to bob and weave through. “But Discord is starting to become his old self again.” When Twilight saw Dash’s eyes widen in shock, she assumed it was a clear sign her news was not only unexpected, but unwanted. What she didn’t expect was Rainbow’s response.

“No way! That’s exactly why I’m trying to find him!” The alicorn almost tripped over her hooves mid-gallop. She caught herself before her muzzle was dragged through the dirt. “He went and messed with the Cakes’ stuff at Sugarcube Corner. They’ve got pies, cakes, and frosting raining from the freaking ceiling!” Twilight blinked before she answered.

“According to Mrs. Pinto, he sent Little Pip on a one way adventure deep outside Ponyville!” The pegasus’s wings almost snapped outwards. Fortunately, the trained athlete kept herself from another crash landing.

“He did what?!” Dash yelled in disbelief.

“Well, no pony saw him do it,” Twilight confessed, but was followed quickly with her deduction. “But all the evidence points towards him, and there is no arguing that Pip is gone, at least according to his mother.”

“Oh horseapples,” Dash lightly cursed, glancing ahead as the pair made a turn. “We’ve gotta find him ASAP. Who knows what he’s going to do next?”

It was as if another spirit of chaos was playing with fate in that moment.

After the galloping alicorn and flying pegasus turned another sharp corner, they came to what they knew to be ground zero for the large flash of light. Instead of a crowd gathered around a gray pony or a monument to some chaotic feat, they found both together.

They found Zecora standing in front of her home, in the middle of Ponyville, far from the Everfree forest.

Dash’s flank hit the ground in shock. Twilight’s jaw swayed uselessly beneath her. The hushed silence over the crowd around them was the only evidence the pair needed to know, if passively, that their shock was not unshared.

“Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash?” They heard Zecora speak, turning to face them with an uncharacteristic look of pleading upon her features. If there was ever a mare they expected to show such a face, the zebra was not that creature. “So you have arrived at last.”

“Zecora…” Twilight dumbly spoke, mind still reeling from the sight of the carved and decorated tree in front of her. “What… How?” Her head shook as she spoke, her mind half-knowing the answer to the question she barely asked, the other half adamantly hoping against it.

“Discord, right?” Rainbow spoke next to her, her blunt nature unsharpened by the actions thus far. If anything they dulled her already crass behavior.

“Yes, it was he whom you named.” The zebra spoke, and Twilight could not ignore the clear bite that was present in her words. It would have hurt if those words were directed at either of the pair. Fortunately, they were meant for a creature far older, larger, and more wicked than either of them combined. “Though now I am the one who is shamed.” Those words shook Twilight from her reverie.

“Wha-shamed?” Twilight asked the foreign pony. “I admit this is… completely unnatural, but how did he shame you?” Zecora scoffed to the side before she answered the alicorn.

“I believed my wit to be above his, believing his words and hoping it would not come to this.” Her hoof motioned towards her home, still garnering an impressive amount of attention from the ever-growing crowd of ponies. “His is a creature of deceit, from which he has caused many defeats. However, lies are not often rules in his game. I assumed such knowledge would make his plans plain.”

“Trying to outsmart… Discord,” Twilight began slowly. “Trying to outsmart a spirit, who has been alive for thousands of years, capable of magical feats not even the princesses can match, nearly omniscient and omnipotent. Trying to outsmart… him.” Against the pale strips of her coat, it was impossible to not see the hot blush run across Zecora’s muzzle.

“It… Such thoughts did not… my mind did not think of what once was, merely…” Her voice trailed off with her gaze, looking to sights that did not remind her of the trickery Discord had pulled over her. There were few her golden eyes could see. “I had hoped he would break no laws.”

“Not your brightest moment there, Z.” Dash finally spoke up, earning the gaze of the two mares.

The pegasus, however, was still highly focused on the tree home. It was odd, to be fair, seeing a tree of the Everfree sprouting in the middle of Ponyville without even a sapling to warn of its growth. There were fires that burned slower than the appearance of the zebra’s home.

“I confess once more, my own actions I abhor.” Zecora dropped her head in what the alicorn could only describe as shame. Whether it be from the weight of her actions or the consequences, Twilight could not tell. “Now I merely wish to have this magic undone, and not with another act that creature could call fun.”

“What does that make this?” Dash asked, finally diverting her fish eyed gaze from the carved and hollow tree. “A hat trick, right?”

“Yes,” Twilight agreed with a nod of her head. “Pip, the Cakes, and now Zecora…” Her eyes trailed with her mind, following a path neither the pegasus or zebra could follow. “And it’s highly unlikely Discord will simply stop at three.” Her head shook with her words. “No, but… it’s impossible to predict what he’ll do.”

“Until we find him, that is.” Dash’s ode of confidence was met with her flared wings, standing to her tallest stature and wearing a look that bore more confidence than her smiles ever could. “C’mon Twi, we gotta catch him before he messes with something else.” The pegasus was in mid-turn as she spoke, motioning with her wing for the alicorn to follow. Twilight nodded in agreement.

“We’ll find him and get him to return your home back to the forest,” the alicorn spoke reassuringly to the still shaken Zecora. Her confidence eroded quickly under the pleading golden irises of the zebra facing her. “Just… hold on. We’ll be back before you know it.”

“Yeah!” Dash spoke with far more assurance than the newly-crowned princess. “Between the two of us, we’ll have things sorted out in ten seconds flat.” Said alicorn was quick to correct her friend.

“Closer to ten minutes, airing on the side of increased time given Discord’s ability to outmaneuver most attempts of contact…” Twilight felt her wings fidget next to her sides. She hated how they told others what she was feeling. Rainbow, thankfully, caught on quick.

“Yeah, okay, point is, we’ll be back soon.” She put a hoof around the alicorn’s back, leading the mare away from the still impressively placed home. “Hang tight, Z!” Before the zebra could say anything in return, the pegasus started to flap her muscled wings, half dragging and half pushing the alicorn in the grasp of her foreleg. It didn’t take long for the zebra to lose them in the crowd.

When they were gone, Zecora turned to see her house once more. No longer surrounded by the dense foliage of the Everfree forest, but now flanked by two thatched-roof homes and a crowd of ponies unfamiliar with the sight. She could not blame them, for she was not used to it either. More than one part of her hoped she wouldn’t have to become used to it.

“While I wait on those two, what am I to do?” Only a few ponies in the crowd around her home heard Zecora’s words. None of them had an answer for her. A tired sigh left the zebra’s lips. The day was still young, but it already felt as if it had been dragged on too long.

“Life in Ponyville is never a bore, and they wonder why I ask for no more.”