• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,023 Views, 14 Comments

Divergence - grimchi3f



It's the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration, and Twilight must travel to Ponyville to oversee the preperations. Once there, she meets five ponies whose destinies are inexplicably tied with her own.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,023

A Reference Guide

Part 2: Everfree Forest - Chapter 1: A Reference Guide

"Cease her!" shouted the mayor over Nightmare Moon's continued laughter. "Only she knows where the Princess is!"

At her command, four armored guards flew up at the evil alicorn, causing her to stop laughing.

"Stand back you foals!" yelled Nightmare Moon, her eyes glowing as she summoned lightning to repel the guards. Then, her solid form suddenly dissolved into a dark mist that immediately swirled up into the air and rushed out the front door of Town Hall.

"Come back here!" exclaimed the rainbow-maned pegasus from earlier, zooming after the mist.

Twilight stared at the front door for a second, momentarily stunned. Then, she pulled the unconscious form of Spike onto her back and galloped out the door as well, remembering that the only things that could defeat Nightmare Moon were the Elements of Harmony. However, she needed more info on these mystical relics, which she intended to get back at the library.

With only the now blank moon and the unconscious Spike as her companions, she reached the library within minutes. After racing inside, Twilight decided that the first thing she needed to do was put Spike to bed. This thought in mind, she quickly made her way up to the bedroom. Twilight crafted a makeshift bed out of a basket, some blankets, and a pillow, and gently levitated Spike into it.

As soon as she did so, Spike jerked awake. "We've got to stop Nightmare!" he exclaimed groggily before falling back to sleep.

Twilight smiled down at the cute little baby dragon. "You've been up all night, Spike. You are a baby dragon after all."

With Spike now in bed, Twilight rushed downstairs to begin searching for info on the Elements of Harmony. She started using her magic to pull books at random off the shelves, flipping through them in moments before setting them down and moving onto the next couple of books. However, it seemed no matter which books she looked though, she just couldn't find anything she needed.

"Elements, Elements, Elements," Twilight chanted, bringing more books off the shelves. "Ugh! How can I stop Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony!?"

"And what exactly are the Elements of Harmony?" asked the voice of Lyra.

Startled, Twilight looked up from her pile of books and found who else but the five most annoying ponies she'd ever met standing in the entrance to the library.

"Oh, not you guys!" exclaimed Twilight, stamping her hoof against the ground in annoyance. "Look, could you please just leave? I need to learn more about the Elements of Harmony. This doesn't concern you!"

"Doesn't concern us, huh?" questioned Cloudkicker, raising an eyebrow

"Yeah, how does stopping the pony who took away the sun not concern us?" asked Lyra as the five ponies moved closer to Twilight. "This concerns everypony."

"Look, Twilight, we know that you know more about this than anypony else," said Bon-Bon, frowning. "We just want you to tell us what you know."

"Yeah, and then maybe we can help you," added Derpy. " 'Cause that's what friends do!"

Cringing a little at 'friends', Twilight looked at each of the ponies' determined faces and realized there was little point in arguing. She sighed. "Fine. I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon. Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her." She gazed sadly at the useless pile of books beside her. "But I don't know what they are or where to find them. I don't even know what they do!"

"The Elements of Harmony," said Pinkie Pie, "a Reference Guide."

Twilight glanced over at the pink mare and was surprised to find her pointing up at a book on a high shelf. Twilight's eyes widened and she gasped.

"How did you find that!?" exclaimed Twilight, rushing over and knocking Pinkie down.

"It was under 'E'!" Pinkie replied joyfully, getting up and bouncing over to the others.

"Oh."

Then, Twilight pulled the book off the shelf, flipped it open, and began to read, " 'There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known. Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said that last location of the five Elements was in the ancient castle of the royal sisters. It is located in what is now the Everfree Forest.' "

The other five ponies suddenly gasped, causing Twilight to look up in annoyance. "What?"

"T-t-the Everfree F-f-forest?" stammered Derpy, her misaligned pupils shrinking in fright.

"Why'd they have to be in there?" moaned Lyra, falling back onto her haunches. "Getting them will be nearly impossible!"

"I don't normally agree with Lyra, but... I agree with Lyra," inserted Bon-Bon, her face downtrodden.

"Why? asked Twilight, glancing at each of them, confused. "What's so bad about the Everfree Forest?" She closed the book and set it on the ground.

"It... it just ain't natural," answered Cloudkicker, her Manehattan-accented voice shaking. Then, swallowing, she said, "Well, those Elements won't fetch themselves. Come on, let's get going."

With that, everyone got up and slowly began to exit the library.

"Ooo, does anypony know what time it is?" asked Pinkie Pie excitedly, a huge contrast to the other frightened ponies.

"Nope," Lyra answered, not sure why Pinkie would ask that.

Pinkie Pie giggled and exclaimed, "It's ADVENTURE TIME!"

-------

Before they could go to the Everfree Forest, they had to take a slight detour to Lyra's house to pick up Lyra's 'Lucky Hat'. This hat turned out to be shaped like a wedge of cheese and was made out of some foul-smelling yellow foam.

"What's that?" asked Derpy shortly after Lyra had rejoined them outside the front of Bon-Bon's candy shop.

"Ugh, you asked!" muttered Bon-Bon, facehoofing. "Why did you ask?"

"Oh, shut up, Bon-Bon," Lyra retorted, glaring at the cream-colored mare. Turning to the others, she said, "This is my cheesehead. In my human history books, it is said that these are worn by something called a 'Packer' and that these 'Packers' are really good at winning... usually. I just thought that it might help us win tonight by transferring some of its winning spirit into us."

Twilight followed Bon-Bon's example and facehoofed. That was probably the stupidest thing she'd ever heard, and that included all the stuff she'd heard over the previous day.

"Was it actually worn by these, uh, 'Packers'?" asked Cloudkicker, staring at the cheese-shaped hat atop Lyra's head with something somewhere between curiosity and skepticism.

"Um, no," Lyra admitted, "I made it myself. But, it looks exactly like it did in the picture... well, except for the extra hole I cut at the bottom for my horn. But still, it's pretty much the same thing."

"Does it taste like actual cheese?" questioned Pinkie Pie, going up to Lyra and sniffing the hat.

"I... I don't think so," said Lyra, pushing Pinkie away. "I mean, I've never actually tried--"

"Could we please get a move on here?" interjected Twilight impatiently. "We've wasted enough time as it is!"

"Twilight's right, guys," said Derpy. "We need to get going and stop Nightmare Spoon."

"Um, Derpy dear, it's Nightmare Moon," Bon-Bon corrected.

Derpy blinked, her pupils realigning. "That's what I said. Nightmare Dune."

Everyone proceeded to stare at the wall-eyed pegasus for a few awkward moments before Lyra said, "Yeah... let's just go."

-------

With Cloudkicker leading the way, the trip from Lyra and Bon-Bon's house to the Everfree Forest was rather short. Now, standing at its entrance, Twilight could certainly see why the Everfree Forest might have such a frightening reputation.

"Well, it definitely looks spooky enough," said Twilight, gazing at the Forest.

"That... that it does," Lyra agreed, her knees wobbling.

"Ooo, I wonder if there are candy apples in there," said Pinkie Pie, bouncing up and down.

"Why would you think there are candy apples in the Everfree Forest, Pinkie?" asked Derpy, scratching her head.

"I have no idea," answered the pink mare, smiling brightly.

Twilight steeled herself, took a deep breath, stepped forward, and turned to face the others. "Look, I really appreciate all of your help so far, but I think, from here on out, that I should go this--"

"Twilight dear, please shut up," Bon-Bon said sweetly. "We're coming to help you and that's final.

Each of the others nodded in agreement, causing Twilight to groan. "There's no getting rid of you guys, is there?"

"Nope," Lyra replied, laughing. "Did you really think that would work?"

Twilight scowled. "Not really, but it was worth a shot." Turning towards the Everfree Forest again, she asked, "So, if anyone would so kind as to enlighten me, what exactly is so bad about this spooky-looking forest?"

"It ain't--" started Cloudkicker.

"Yes, I know, you already said that," Twilight interrupted. "But what exactly about it isn't natural?"

Cloudkicker swallowed uneasily. "Well, I think it'd be easier for you to see for yourself." She paused and started slowly trotting into the forest, gesturing for everyone to follow. "Let's get this over with."

Comments ( 1 )

Oh pinkie pie of course she would no what adventure time is she must have broken the fourth wall then the third wall going into adventure time

Login or register to comment