• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,024 Views, 14 Comments

Divergence - grimchi3f



It's the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration, and Twilight must travel to Ponyville to oversee the preperations. Once there, she meets five ponies whose destinies are inexplicably tied with her own.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,024

Surprise!

Part 1: Ponyville - Chapter 4: Surprise!

"Surprise!" shouted the pink pony they'd seen shortly after arriving in Ponyville, trotting up to Twilight. "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie and I threw this party just for you!" She began to bounce around Twilight, separating her from Spike and Derpy. "Were you surprised? Were you? Were you? Huh, huh, huh?"

"Very surprised," Twilight replied, following the pink mare with her eyes. "Libraries are supposed to be quiet."

Pinkie rolled her eyes. "That's silly. What kind of welcome party would this be if it were quiet? I mean, duh, boring!"

Deciding she'd had enough of this conversation, Twilight started to make her way towards the table that held the snacks and drinks, weaving through the throng of ponies. However, much to Twilight's dismay, Pinkie Pie followed her and, even worse, continued to talk.

"You see, I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all 'Hello!' and I was all-- *gasp*-- remember?" Pinkie said. "You see, I never saw you before and, if I never saw you before, that meant you're new. 'Cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony, in Ponyville."

Twilight finally reached the drinks table and began to pour herself a cup full of the nearest bottle, not caring what it was. She could hardly believe anypony could talk so much or be so annoying.

"And if you're new, that meant you hadn't met anyone yet," Pinkie continued, "and if you hadn't met anyone yet, then you must not have any friends and if you don't have any friends, you must be lonely, and that made me so sad..."

Twilight put the bottle down, put a straw in her cup, and began to drink. Seriously, how could Ponyville, despite its stupidity and craziness, stand this grating pink pony? She was even worse than Lyra and Derpy for Pete's sake!

"... I just threw a great-big-ginormous-super-duper-spectacular welcome party and invited everyone in Ponyville. See? Now you have lots and lots of friends!" Pinkie exclaimed as the other four ponies Twilight had met that day gathered behind the pink mare.

At the word 'friends', Twilight cringed. However, it wasn't just the word 'friends' that caused her to cringe, it was also the searing pain and heat that was engulfing her mouth. Turning towards Pinkie Pie and the other four ponies, Twilight's eyes started watering and the pain continued to intensify.

"Are you all right, dear?" asked Bon-Bon, her face full of concern.

Tears streaming down her face and the pain in her mouth beginning to become unbearable, Twilight hopped into the air and raced up the stairs to what was hopefully a bedroom or something. That way she could maybe get some peace and quiet.

Just as she reached the door at the top of the stairs, Twilight heard Pinkie Pie exclaim cheerfully, "Aw, she's so happy she's crying!"

Stupid, crazy, annoying ponies!

-------

Twilight laid on her bed with the pillow over head, trying to dampen the sounds of the obnoxiously loud music that was blaring from downstairs. Needless to say, it wasn't working. Sitting up, she looked up at the clock beside her bed and saw that it was late... very late. Way past midnight, in fact. Twilight glared at the clock and groaned. If this was supposed to be her welcome party, why was it still going when she wasn't even there!?

The door to the bedroom opened and the light from downstairs flooded in. Twilight looked down from her bed to see who had come in. Luckily for her, it was only Spike who, for some reason, was wearing a lampshade on his head and was still carrying his wooden hand.

"Hey, Twilight!" said Spike, smiling up at the purple unicorn. "Pinkie Pie's starting 'Pin the Tail on the Pony'. Wanna play?"

"No!" Twilight shouted, wondering why no one would let her have just a little peace and quiet. "All the ponies in this town are crazy! Do you know what time it is?"

Spike rolled his eyes and placed his wooden hand on one of the bookshelves carved into the walls. "It's the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration. Everypony has to stay up or they'll miss the Princess raise the sun." Turning to leave, he added, "You should really lighten up, Twilight. It's a party!"

As the door closed, Twilight rolled onto her back, clutching her pillow to her chest. "Ugh! Here I thought I'd have time to learn more about the Elements of Harmony and Nightmare Moon's return, but, silly me, all this ridiculous 'friend-making' has kept me from it!"

She turned her head to look out the window beside her bed. The large white moon was glowing brilliantly, the unicorn mare's head silhouette upon it staring down menacingly at Equestria. Four stars, larger and brighter than the rest, surrounded the moon, seeming as if they were closer and closer to it with each passing second.

"Legend has it," Twilight began, getting up out of the bed and walking over to the window, "that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aide in her escape and she will bring about everlasting night." She stared pleadingly up at the glowing moon. "I hope the Princess was right. I hope it really is just an old ponytale."

Behind her, she heard the door suddenly swing open and Spike shout, "Come on, Twilight. It's time to watch the sunrise!"

Taking a deep breath, Twilight turned around and followed Spike out of the room.