• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,024 Views, 14 Comments

Divergence - grimchi3f



It's the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration, and Twilight must travel to Ponyville to oversee the preperations. Once there, she meets five ponies whose destinies are inexplicably tied with her own.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,024

Interesting Ponies

Part 1: Ponyville - Chapter 2: Interesting Ponies

It didn't take long before the two overseers were interrupted again. Just as Twilight was observing the brightly colored bakery they were passing, she bumped into a mint-green unicorn whose book she'd been magicking along fell to the ground.

"Oops, sorry," said Twilight and the unicorn at the same time, causing Spike to giggle.

"Sorry, I should have been paying better attention," Twilight apologized, smiling sheepishly.

"No, no, it was my fault," the unicorn mare insisted. "I was too busy reading this book to watch where I was going." The book she levitated up from the ground looked extremely familiar. It had a brown cover with a golden unicorn head in the center.

"Twilight!" exclaimed Spike, pointing at the book. "That's the old ponytale book you were reading in Canterlot!"

The mint-green unicorn raised an eyebrow. "You know this book? What were you looking up?"

"Oh, uh, just stuff on Nightmare Moon's return," Twilight answered.

"Really?" asked the unicorn. "Personally, I don't like reading about stupid old ponytales like that. The real reason I'm reading this book is the small section it has on humans. Unlike everything else in this book, that part's actually real."

"Humans?" Twilight muttered, beginning to wonder if this unicorn was completely sane. Twilight had heard about humans before through rumors and stories, but the only ponies who actually believed that garbage were the clinically insane and the old crackpot scientists who also believed that the sun was made of superheated gas. As if!

The mint-green unicorn gasped. "You know about them too!?" she exclaimed, hugging Twilight tightly. "Oh, we're going to be the best of friends you and I!" After breaking the embrace, she took Twilight's hoof. "Here, come with me back to my place. I've got a whole lot to show you. I'm sure you'll be quite impressed with what I have!"

"Um..." was all Twilight could say before the unicorn mare yanked her away with Spike laughing as he followed closely behind.

-------

"Well, this is,uh, quite the collection you have here, Lyra," said Twilight, glancing from the human hand sketches to the human hand sculptures and finally to all the large research books that littered the many shelves within the dull brown room.

"Thank you, Twilight," the mint-green unicorn replied happily. "I've been researching humans since I was a little filly. They've become quite a passion of mine, especially since there's so much proof that they existed. Take doorknobs as an example. They were obviously designed for hands, not hooves."

Twilight resisted the urge to facehoof. This unicorn was most definitely crazy. She really believed humans existed. Not only that, but she thought Twilight did too! After their conversation by the colorful bakery, Lyra had whisked Twilight to her home which was right above a candy shop on the outskirts of town. That meant, on the one hoof, that both her and Spike were closer to Sweet Apple Acres. But, on the other hoof, they were stuck in this room with a crazy unicorn and her tokens of insanity.

"Woah!" exclaimed Spike, picking up a wooden hand carving from a large bookcase. "This is so cool!"

"Take it, it's yours," said Lyra, hopping onto the small bed that resided in the corner of the room.

Spike's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yeah, go ahead," Lyra answered, shrugging. "I've had it for far too long, and it's better that someone else who would actually appreciate it were to have it. Plus, I have plenty more where that came from." She waved a hoof at all the other sculptures that littered the room. "Go ahead and take it."

Spike continued to stare at Lyra and, if Twilight's eyes weren't mistaking her, his pupils somehow transformed into hearts. That was Twilight's cue to get the hay out of there. However, just as she was about to make an excuse to leave, something else on the bookcase caught her eye, something that resembled Lyra's cutie mark perfectly.

"Is that lyre yours?" Twilight asked, pointing up at the instrument with her hoof.

"Yessiree Bob," Lyra confirmed. Wrapping it in a muted mint-green glow, she levitated the lyre down until it was floating beside her. "My parents forced me to learn an instrument when I was younger and I ended up choosing this one. Funnily enough, it turned out to be my special talent. I still play it every now and again at Ponyville park whenever I need money." She paused for a moment. "Do you guys wanna hear me play?"

Before Twilight could say anything, Spike blurted out, "Of course!"

Lyra smiled. "Alrighty then."

She closed here eyes and her horn glowed brighter as she let her magic flow into the lyre. Immediately, notes began flowing out of the instrument, joined soon enough by more notes, and then even more notes, all of which coalesced into a hauntingly sorrowful song that Twilight couldn't believe was coming out of such a small instrument. It brought tears to her eyes and also, once she checked, Spike's eyes too; the song seemed to resonate with their souls. After a couple minutes, Lyra stemmed the flow of magic and the song ended, one last somber note echoing in the small brown room.

"That was... that was beautiful!" Twilight complimented, wiping the tears form her eyes. "I've never heard anything like it!"

Lyra shrugged and levitated the lyre back to it's place on the bookshelf. "If you say so."

At that moment, the sound of a door opening and then closing could be heard from downstairs. Lyra froze, listening intently for any other noises.

"Lyra?" came a mare's voice. "Are you home?"

"Uh oh," said Lyra, her face pale. Then, leaping off the bed, she began shoving Twilight and Spike towards the door. "You guys need to leave!"

Twilight wasn't going to complain, but that didn't stop Spike from doing it. "What? Why? Who was that?"

"That was Bon-Bon. She's the owner of the candy shop downstairs and also my roommate. Her room's down the hall," Lyra explained. With one final shove, they were outside Lyra's room.

"But why do we need to leave?" Spike repeated, clutching the wooden hand to his chest.

"Because Bon-Bon doesn't like my, um, obsession with humans. If she knew I was showing you guys--"

"Ah, Lyra, you are home," said the cream-colored Earth pony walking towards them from down the hall. Her gaze then fell onto Twilight and Spike. "Um, who are they?"

"Oh, hello Bon-Bon, these are my two new friends, Twilight Sparkly and... uh... Spike! Yeah, that's it," said Lyra as Twilight quietly groaned at the word 'friends.'

Bon-Bon's eyes narrowed. "You were showing them you human stuff, weren't you Lyra?"

"Pfffft, no way. I'd never do such a thing. What would give you that idea?" Lyra lied, smiling innocently.

Raising an eyebrow, Bon-Bon retorted, "Well, that wooden hand the baby dragon's holding is kind of a dead giveaway."

Lyra facehoofed. "Aw, ponyfeathers."

"Sorry," whispered Spike.

"Don't worry dear, it's not your fault," Bon-Bon said, frowning at Lyra. "If anything it's her fault for showing you this stuff. I hope she hasn't started to make you guys believe in that garbage."

"Actually, Twilight here is with me on all this stuff," said Lyra, pulling Twilight closer to herself with a foreleg. "She believes humans are real."

"Um..." Twilight muttered, glancing from Lyra to Bon-Bon.

"Oh really?" asked Bon-Bon. "Are you sure? Did you even ask her?"

"No... no I haven't," Lyra replied, looking to Twilight. "You do believe in humans, right?"

"Well, actually--" Twilight started.

"See, she doesn't," said Bon-Bon, interrupting Twilight.

"You didn't even let her finish!" Lyra exclaimed, stamping a hoof.

Bon-Bon rolled her eyes. "Honestly Lyra, you can tell just by looking at her face."

"Oh, that's a load of crap, Bon-Bon," Lyra retorted, removing her foreleg from around Twilight. "She looks exactly the same as she has the whole time I've known her!"

"You know what, Lyra? You're getting on my nerves. Just... just go to your room," ordered Bon-Bon, glaring at the mint-green unicorn. "Right now."

"You're not my mom," said Lyra defiantly. "You're no the boss of--"

"Now!"

"Fine," Lyra grunted, sulking back into her room. "Goodbye Twilight, Spike. I'll see you guys later."

As soon as Lyra closed the door, Bon-Bon sighed. "Sometimes I wonder about that pony."

"What are you talking about?" asked Spike, staring incredulously at the Earth pony. "I thought she was amazing!"

"Spike!" Twilight cautioned. Turning to Bon-Bon, she held out a hoof. "Anyway, as Lyra told you, I'm Twilight Sparkle. The Princess sent me to Ponyville to oversee preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration."

"Well, it's nice to make you acquaintance, Twilight," Bon-Bon replied, shaking Twilight's hoof. "If you want, I can make you guys something to eat... you know, to make up for Lyra."

Twilight shook her head. "Thanks for the offer, but we really need to get to Sweet Apple Acres to check on the preparations."

"Aw, c'mon Twilight," said Spike. "I'm starving!"

"Yeah, Twilight," Bon-Bon agreed. "Let me make you lunch. I can see you're very hungry as well."

"I'm not hungry, actually," Twilight insisted. However, after a very loud stomach growl, she sighed in defeat. "You know what? Fine. Let's eat."

-------


About an hour later, a satisfied Spike and an impatient, slightly nauseous Twilight exited Bon-Bon's candy shop. They were finally back on the road to Sweet Apple Acres!

"Ugh, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat again," Twilight maned, her stomach feeling as though it could burst at any second.

As his left claw held the wooden hand firmly, Spike was patting his stomach fondly with his right claw. "Wow! Bon-Bon's such a great cook. Her hay fries are to die for!"

"Please stop talking about food!" Twilight pleaded, barely able to keep walking.

"And that Lyra!" Spike enthused, hugging his wooden hand tight. "Don't even get me started on how awesome she is! I mean, she just up and gave me this thing. How cool is that?"

"Not very," muttered Twilight so quietly Spike couldn't hear, closing her eyes and wishing that his exhausting day would just end already. She didn't know how much more of this town she could take.

"Hey! You! Purple unicorn!" shouted a voice from behind the two overseers. "Are you Twilight Sparkle?"

Well, it seemed she was going to find out. Oh joy.