• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,023 Views, 14 Comments

Divergence - grimchi3f



It's the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration, and Twilight must travel to Ponyville to oversee the preperations. Once there, she meets five ponies whose destinies are inexplicably tied with her own.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,023

Everlasting Night

Part 1: Ponyville - Chapter 5: Everlasting Night

Thanks to the large crowd of ponies in front of them, Twilight and Spike found their way to Ponyville's Town Hall rather easily. After making their way inside, Twilight tried to put as much distance as she could between them and any of the ponies they'd met that day. However, it didn't take long for them to find her.

"Yo, Twilight!" Cloudkicker greeted over the noise of the crowd, landing beside her and Spike. "How are you?"

"I've been better," Twilight replied, internally groaning. It seemed, whatever she did, that these ponies always seemed to find her.

"That's too bad. Hey, listen, I didn't get to tell you at your welcome party, but the preparations for this celebration are going perfectly," said Cloudkicker. "The music, food, everything is gre--"

"Hi, Twilight!" shouted Lyra, making her way towards them. "Hi, Spike!"

"Lyra!" Spike exclaimed happily.

"Yo, Lyra, what's up girl?" asked Cloudkicker. "I haven't seen you in forever. How's Bon-Bon? Is she still your roommate?"

"Oh, hey, Cloudkicker," Lyra responded, finally reaching them. "Yeah, Bon-Bon's still my roommate and she's doing good. She still doesn't like my human stuff, though. That certainly hasn't changed."

Cloudkicker smiled. "Yes, well, that stuff is a little hard to get used to. It's kind of... odd."

"See, Lyra?" said Bon-Bon, appearing suddenly from behind the mint-green unicorn. "I'm not the only one who finds it weird."

"Oh, whatever, Bon-Bon," Lyra retorted, rolling her eyes.

"Hello again, by they way," Bon-Bon said to Twilight. "Your welcome party was absolutely wonderful."

"Was it? I wouldn't know," muttered Twilight darkly, wishing they would all go away.

"Hey guys!" came Derpy's voice as she landed in their midst.

"Hi, Derpy!" said Lyra, grinning at the grey pegasus. "How's being a mailmare treating you?"

"Oh, it's great!" Derpy enthused, smiling brightly. "It pays good and it's really fun. It's good enough, at least, to provide for me and Dinky."

"How is Dinky, dear?" asked Bon-Bon.

Twilight sighed, tuning this boring conversation out. Why couldn't they just leave her alone and let her worry about Nightmare Moon's return in peace. Well, while these ponies were certainly annoying, they were nothing compared to--

"Isn't this exciting?" exclaimed a familiar bubbly voice.

Aw, ponyfeathers.

"Are you guys excited?" questioned Pinkie Pie, bouncing up to them. " 'Cause I'm excited! I've never been so excited, well, except for the time I saw Twilight walking and I went-- *gasp*-- but I mean really, who can top that?"

Before anyone could even think of answering, a chorus of birds from the balcony all the way up by the ceiling started up and all talking in the large room ceased.

"Fillies and gentlecolts!" shouted an official-looking mare up on stage as everyone turned to stare at her. "As mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!"

At her words, the entire room exploded with cheers and hoof-stomping.

The mayor smiled. "In just a few moments, our town will witness the magical sunrise to celebrate this longest day of the year."

Twilight glanced out a nearby window and saw the four brightest stars in the night sky disappear behind the glowing moon. As soon as they did so, the unicorn head silhouette upon it vanished. Extremely worried, Twilight turned back to look at the mayor.

"And now," she continued, "it is my great honor to introduce to you, the ruler of our land, the very pony who brings the sun and moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria, Princess Celestia!"

The beautiful white unicorn on the top balcony pulled the curtains apart, revealing... nothing. Absolutely nothing. The Princess, it appeared, wasn't there.

Twilight cringed. "This can't be good."

"Remain calm everypony!" the mayor shouted as the crowd broke into curious, partially frightened, murmurs. "There must be a reasonable explanation."

"Ooo, ooo, I love guessing games!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie, tilting her head around and looking for the missing Princess. "Is she hiding?"

"She's gone!" said the white unicorn from the top balcony.

At the unicorn's revelation, the assembled ponies gasped and looked around at each other, wondering what this might mean.

"Oh, she's good," Pinkie observed. Then, looking up at the balcony and pointing, she shrieked, "Ah!"

As everyone looked up to where she was pointing, gasps rang out throughout the crowd again. A dark, sparkling mist was gathering on the balcony. No one was entirely sure what it was, but it certainly didn't look good. Then, suddenly, the mist solidified and took the form of a tall, dark-coated alicorn with a free-flowing indigo mane that sparkled seemingly of its own accord.

"Oh no," Twilight whispered, staring up at the alicorn. "Nightmare Moon!"

The dark-coated alicorn grinned down menacingly at the assembled ponies. "Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious little sun-loving faces."

"What did you do with our Princess!?" exclaimed a cyan pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane. She attempted to lunge up at the alicorn but was stopped by an orange Earth pony.

"Why? Am I not royal enough for you?"asked Nightmare Mon bitterly. "Don't you know who I am?"

"Ooo, ooo, more guessing games!" said Pinkie Pie excitedly. "Ummm, Pokey Smokes? How about Queen Meanie? No, Black Snooty, Black Snooty, Bl--"

"Shut up, Pinkie Pie!" Lyra whispered urgently, interrupting the pink mare by putting a hoof into her mouth.

"Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years?" continued Nightmare Moon, glaring at everyone. "Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?"

Twilight finally built up enough courage and decided to speak up. "I did!" she shouted up at the evil alicorn. In response, everyone, including Nightmare Moon, turned to look at her. "And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Moon, Nightmare Moon!"

This elicited gasps from the crowd, including four of the ponies directly beside her.

"What!?" exclaimed Lyra and Bon-Bon simultaneously, shock coloring their faces.

"No way!" Derpy and Cloudkicker said at the same time, both dumbstruck.

Nightmare Moon smiled, amused. "Well, well, well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I am here?"

"You're here to... to..." Twilight mumbled glancing around at the ponies around her and trailing off.

"Remember this day, little ponies," said Nightmare Moon, her smile growing wider, "for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!"

The evil alicorn broke off into maniacal laughter, the laughter itself echoing throughout the large room and out into the now everlasting night.

END OF PART 1