• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 460 Views, 12 Comments

Sun & Moon - Fiji Firefox



How Celestia and Luna came to Equestria

  • ...
 12
 460

The Celebration of the Sun & Moon

It had been a few days since Vera's big speech and the celebration was coming along nicely. Fillevera still thought about what she was going to do about the main event, and since she thought it was going to be very important, she spent most of her time thinking about it. She still took time for the other entertainment places, but she knew she had to get the ceremony right.

Fillevera finally decided what to do for the ceremony; gather everypony together in the center of the village, decked out with all sorts of different decorations that they could make, until the strange ponies should possibly arrive here. Fillevera thought that was a great idea, and she soon called over a few ponies that she heard of who were good with crafts and decorations. Soon after she gave them instructions on what she wanted them to make, she started trotting slowly around the small town to check up on how everyone was doing with their job.

While she was checking up on ponies, Magestic came up from behind and started walking side-by-side with Fillevera. “So how’s it been coming along?” She asked smoothly. Fillevera hesitated for a few moments as they walked pass a group containing of three ponies working on building booths. Vera gave a brisk nod at the ponies, obviously pleased with the results so far.

She seems to be growing up already, with all these responsibilities supposedly training her about how to be a good leader… “Magestic…can I trust you?” Fillevera asked, tearing Magestic out of her thoughts. “Of course you can.” Magestic said, a little surprised. “Well...I feel like I’m being weighed down with all these responsibilities. I feel like the whole world is resting on my shoulders…” She grunted quietly. Magestic heard what she had said, but didn’t answer, for she was looking at Vera closer.

She then noticed that Vera looked tired and overworked.

Her mane looked messy and she was a little unsteady on her hooves like she hadn't gotten enough sleep in the past few days. Vera stumbled a little and Magestic quickly put her shoulder under her for support. She recovered almost as immediately as she had stumbled, regained her posture, and starting to walk forward again, more briskly this time. By the time she caught back up to her, Vera had already walked past three booths.

“Well…” Magestic started, hesitating a little with her words, watching carefully to see if she would fall again so Magestic could be there to catch her. “You seem to be handling this celebration very well for a filly your age. You have the right leadership qualities to lead these ponies. I’m absolutely positive that this will turn out to be a great change for the world.”

Vera looked over at Magestic, bringing a weak smile along with her. Magestic smiled back, warmed from head to hoof that Fillevera still thought of her as a friend instead of just an assistant. Fillevera continued to walk side-by-side until they arrived at the center of the small town where Fillevera got called over to a group to see if they were doing a good job, leaving Magestic to stand in the middle of the cold, dark center of the large dirt clearing; alone. Magestic found herself looking around the clearing, looking for something to occupy herself with.

* * *

Fillevera felt terrible. She hadn’t slept since she got the prophecy, which was about a week ago. She’s dozed off now and again, but only to be woken by someone asking about what job to do and if they’re doing their job the right way. Vera leaned against an unoccupied wall, and fell asleep. Magestic came around the corner to find her there, snoring like a bear. Magestic softly chuckled in amusement, careful not to wake her. Magestic nuzzled Vera’s back to make her turn over, so she could squeeze under to carry Vera on her back so she could take her back to her hut.

As she was walking along the dark, littered streets, Vera stirred a little in her sleep. Magestic stopped dead in her tracks, afraid that she had woke her up. But, Vera had just mumbled in her sleep and she stopped soon afterward.

Magestic and Vera were just around the corner from the alley, when suddenly Magestic started to smell a strange scent as she walked. She thought it was her imagination at first, but then it started getting stronger. “Wait…that smells like…”

“…Magestic. What’s that smell?” Vera asked, startling Magestic. She twisted her head around to find Vera sitting up on her back, her muzzle in the air twitching slightly. “...Wait, I know that smell! It’s the same one that I could smell when rich ponies passed by with…FLAMES!”

“…so, do you mean it’s-” Fillevera cut her off with a curt nod, her eyes wide and scared. Vera jumped off Magestic’s back as she began to gallop as fast as she could towards where the smell seemed to be coming from; the center of town. Magestic followed alongside her, worried at what she thought might be the situation.

Fillevera had never galloped so fast in her life! She kept galloping and galloping until she finally got to the place she had hoped to find still the way she had left it, but it was all in ruins. She stood in the middle of the clearing, watching silently as ponies crowded beside the flaming booths, throwing water on them to try and make them burn out, but they failed majorly. The buckets of water they were carrying were much too small to quench the flames. She plopped down on the ground, devastated that she had failed Zeus and Hera. As she kept thinking about how she had failed ponykind, her eyes began water.

As tears started to roll down her face, the flames of the fire started to die down. Her team of ponies began to walk towards the center of the clearing, slowly and silently, as if they were mourning a loss. When it seemed like the whole town had gathered around Fillevera, she dried her eyes, and stood up in front of the crowd. But when the crowd saw her eyes, they didn’t seem sad or depressed. Instead, they were deep and determined to overcome what has been laid upon them. “We will overcome this!!” Fillevera shouted to the dark skies. Everypony cheered and raised Vera on their backs so she could be seen by everyone. After a few minutes of that, they let Vera down, eager for her to address jobs to them again.

And as everypony gathered around her, she began to speak another short speech to get them motivated for work. “I’m sure that we can overcome this with motivation and teamwork! Can everypony please line up in an--!”

Just as she was about to finish her sentence, the sound of a huge explosion cracked throughout the sky. She ducked down almost immediately, looking at the rest of the ponies. Most of them had done the same as Vera, but a few were still standing and looking up at the sky. Vera wondered what they were staring at, so she did the same. That’s when the impossible happened.

There was a strange light growing in the sky. It was a circle being traced into the sky by what looked like a thin line of fire, with a strange thundering noise following after it. Vera watched in awe and fear as the circle was finished tracing in the sky. Her fear started to ease as nothing happened after that. There was deathly quiet going on in the town and most likely, all of Equestria. She waited for something else to happen. All the other ponies did the same so no one moved a muscle, all of their eyes were stuck staring at the sky. Just when she was about to think nothing was going to happen, another explosion sounded off, refreshing Vera’s fear.

Vera gazed upward to find another circle being traced into the sky right next to the first one, but this one was traced out of blue fire, not orange. She watched it trace through the sky too, wondering what these circles were for. In a moment, there was yet another explosion, and the whole world turned bright with the light reflecting from the big ball of fire in the sky where the circle used to be. Everypony shielded their eyes at first, but then they got used to the light. They all gaped in amazement and wonder at their new source of light. Vera had forgotten about the other ring of fire until then there was a smaller sounding explosion and there was another flash. When Vera looked beside the ball of light, there was another ball, but this one was a grayish-blue, and dimmer so you could look at it.

Every one of the ponies barely ever looked away from the phenomena that just happened. Vera saw a strange shape in the middle of each circle. When she looked closer, she thought they looked like the shape of two ponies. She also realized that they were getting closer to the ground. She soon could kind of make out what they looked like and what their features were. When they finally reached the ground, Vera thought they looked so regal; she bowed almost instinctively to them. When the rest of the ponies saw this, they too bowed low to the ponies. They looked not all surprised to be treated this way. Fillevera then realized who and what these ponies were here for.

She stood back up from her bow, and then looked at each one of them closely. The pony that came from the sun was a tall, white, winged unicorn, whose blue, green, and pink mane and tail were disturbed by a nonexistent wind. She had gentle light purple eyes, a golden crown with a jewel in the middle resting up on her head, a golden chest plate with the same looking jewel in the middle, and she had golden horseshoes in the shape of stars. The other pony from the moon was a little shorter than the first and she was a dark grayish-blue winged unicorn. Her starry mane was also being blown by a nonexistent wind. She had blue, intimidating eyes that could stare into your soul if they were provoked.

Fillevera got a little frightened as the white one lifted her head from looking down at Vera and the others, and looked around the burnt clearing. Fillevera shrank down to the ground as the pony looks back down at Vera. “Did you do this?” She asked. When Fillevera heard the pony’s voice, she didn’t seem so scared anymore because it sounded so gentle. She looked up at the pony towering over her and said, “Y-yes…we did…but i-it b-burnt…down a-a few minutes ago…I’m sorry…” Vera whispered the rest and bowed her head, expecting to be scoffed at because of what the scene looked like for such majestic looking ponies. Vera felt something touch her head and mane, and she looked up to find the white one stroking her mane and seemingly trying to comfort her.

Fillevera’s eyes started to tear up and she pressed her face into the pony’s upper chest, just above the chest plate. The pony continued to comfort Vera for several minutes, until Vera was strong enough to stand back up and step backward, looking at the pony with gratefulness. “You did your best to celebrate our coming forth. We’re very grateful that you had such strong feelings towards us. This warms our hearts to think of so many generous ponies giving up their time for us.” The ponies surrounding them cheered, and after they stopped, Fillevera asked them a question. “What are your names?”

The white pony introduced both of them, “My name is Celestia, and her name…” She said, pointing to herself, then at the other pony. “…and her name is Luna. We are the rulers of the sun and moon.” She said, pure pride spread across her face. “What are…the sun and the moon? We’ve never heard of such a thing in all of our lives! We’ve always lived in darkness…so no…light…” Princess Celestia seemed to be a little surprised by this, but she and Luna looked at each other, looking like they were about to say something. “We were summoned here…by these…creatures…” Celestia said, a little nervously. Princess Luna nodded as she began to speak. “Thou were very strange creatures indeed…”

She looked back at Celestia, as if saying that she was done speaking for now. When Celestia was about to start speaking again, Fillevera saw her chance to interrupt. “These creatures that you speak of…they came to me in a dream…and they told me something: “Moon and Sun will come together with a bang and a crash; to keep you in line with peace, fairness, and kindness. And though there will be times with great troubles and frights, indeed, they will always be there to help and care for you…” Fillevera finished, looked from Luna to Celestia. “We were told a little differently about you; “You will go hand in hand, to find the world of darkness: no light, but if you lead them into the path of the light, they’ll find a greater purpose in life than lonely darkness…”

Celestia gazed down upon Vera, expecting her expression to be surprised, but Vera only did a nod of understanding. “I know what they mean now…the prophecies…you’re here to be part of our big “family” and bring forth the day and the night for us…for us to grow strong in our surroundings…and for our children to grow in their surroundings…in our home…” Princess Luna nodded while Celestia smiled at Vera. The crowd cheered yet again and they all bowed too. Vera bowed along with them, grateful that this whole mess was over. When she got back up, she crossed over to Celestia and said, “Thank you for everything.” Celestia smiled again and Vera turned around to find her ponies standing around with nothing to do. She then came up with a great idea. “Everypony gather around me please!”

They all looked quite surprised to hear this because the ponies had come, but they did what she said anyway, wondering what it was. “I know you ponies love to have something to occupy yourself with like work. So I’m going to ask you to get started on a big project for the Princesses.” The ponies started to get excited about this “big project” she was talking about. “I know you can build things for a carnival, but I want you to build something bigger… how about building a castle to challenge your tough working skills?” They all cheered! They’re tougher than they look! Vera glanced back at Princesses, joyful surprise lighting up their faces.

All the ponies shuffled closer to Vera, listening to what she said they needed to find and/or get to make the castle as grand as it could be. They all agreed and set out to find the special items. Fillevera thought that this was a great achievement in hers and the princesses’ parts in life. As she was watching one of her groups head into the mountains, she felt a tap on her shoulder; she turned around to find Celestia behind her. “I don’t think I caught your name before. Do you think you could tell me what it is?” Fillevera told her without a problem. “My name’s Fillevera.” “Fillevera…what a beautiful name it is. I believe that you have a lot to celebrate today…” “Oh yes! I guess I do!” “I think you should add one more thing to that list…” Celestia pointed at Vera’s thigh. Vera followed where she was pointing, and noticed that something was on her flank. That’s when she saw it.

“My cutie mark!! It’s finally here!” Her cutie mark was a scroll with the royal mark printed on it; a shiny, golden crown. Fillevera knew that Celestia was very proud of her, but she didn’t say anything; she just kept on looking at her cutie mark. “Congratulations.” Magestic came out of the spreading shadows of a nearby building. “You’ve grown up…I don’t think you need my help anymore…I’m pretty sure you’re old enough to work out problems on your own… besides, I’m pretty sure that they’re other ponies out there that need my help…” Magestic rambled on and on as if she didn’t want to say that she wasn’t needed anymore in those words. Vera took the hint and walked up in front of Magestic, tears in her eyes as she hugged her friend a last farewell. “I’m going to miss you…” Magestic smile, hugging her back. She slowly pulled away, taking a breath as she looked around at the town once more. After a few moments, she turned around, and ran over the mountains and into the sunset to her new beginning.

Magestic never looked back, and then, she was gone. Fillevera watched where her friend had disappeared for a long time until finally; something in the orange-red stained sky caught her attention. Vera looked, and saw to two familiar, faint-looking humans that she recognized almost at once. Vera watched as they waved and smiled at her, disappearing into the sky as they did so.

Fillevera never saw Magestic or the humans again, but she never really looked back on her past after that, and she lived a long, happy life among the royal family. She was the messenger for the royals for the rest of her days, and no one would ever be able to replace the warm feelings in their hearts that she gave them, because she was part of the family, and it never was the same without her. Celestia missed Vera dearly when she passed away, and she would never forget her. But she knew that her story would live on in everyone’s heart for generations to come.