• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 298 Views, 7 Comments

Ponyville's Sleuth - somerandomness1



Sirlen has always wanted to be a royal guard but was pulled out because his skills were in a defferent way of fighting. He was trained to be a sleuth. The unseen protector in many ways. He has always been able to do his job until twilight happened

  • ...
3
 7
 298

I might as well accept it

Sirlen awoke feeling great. He hadn't slept on something as soft as straw in weeks." Wait..straw?" Sirlen's whole body tensed as he tried to remember were he was. After a long moment he remembered and let loose a sigh. He got up and put on his equipment; some knives, his short sword, his bow, tinderbox, cloak, cloths, the mixture Vanetta called his "Herbalist brew, and a few other odds and ends.

Sirlen Stepped out of the barn and instantly took note of his surroundings out of habit. Then stopped in awe and saw what he had been too distracted and confused to see yesterday. There was a blatant good cheer about the place and everything was so colorful; he looked out of place among it. It was peaceful, almost too much so that he didn't trust it.

Sirlen let out a violent cough into his hand ,and his hand came back a little blood stained. Was that normal for someone who might have had his lung pierced by a rib?

"Damn, that pony really did a number on me."

Sirlen took a very tense, leisurely stroll around the farm. It was simple, but there was something about this place that made even a farm vibrant. Looking at this farm made life feel ,simple;you work, go to bed, work again at an honest job. It was fulfilling. So all in all, his walk was uneventful besides a cough ever now and again. He had nothing to do and it made him nervous. He never had nothing to do; Queen Vanetta relied on him so heavily that he was always on assignment.

He heard the hooves coming this time, so he turned around to greet Applejack. He had his mouth open in a greeting when, he abruptly shut it. In front of him was the biggest pony he had seen since he got here. A big red stallion stood not seven yards off. He looked like he could buck Sirlen through a tree.

"Want breakfast?" The stallion asked and keeping the same bored expression, he walked away towards the farmhouse

Sirlen decided he best fallow him, he had to eat something.


As Sirlen entered the farmhouse sweet smells of delight wafted to his nose. Taking a deep, involuntary breath he almost coughed his lungs out but managed to stifle it a little.

"Hey ..uh Sirlen mornin'. Hope it weren't to chilly last night. Applejack said picking up a spoon in her mouth and stirring I something in a big pot. She had to move her whole head to stir it.
" Almost done with breakfast. Take a seat while I finish up."

Sirlen did as he was asked and sat down at one of the many chairs at the old, wooden table. As he did he gave a small nod to the two other ponies already seated at the table. One was an old green mare ,and one was a small filly. Both of which were staring at him. The red stallion took a seat across the table to the right of him. The filly is directly across from him and the green mare is at the far right end of the table. Applejack brought the pot (some type of apple porridge) to the table, then sat to his left. Sirlen felt properly awkward.

"Alright, before we dig in I would like to introduce everypony. Sirlen this is Applebloom; Applebloom, Sirlen. Sirlen, Big Macintosh: Big Macintosh... "and so on until Sirlen was sure he had shaken everybody's hoof twice including Applejacks, and his own hand at least once. By the end all the ice was broken an Sirlen was almost laughing out loud and would have but his lungs weren't having any of it.

The rest of breakfast was pretty much filled with the little red haired filly. She described some ways for him to help her get her "cutie mark"? Most of them seemed to be hazardous to his well being.

"Hey, mister do you want to come and help the cutie mark crusaders? Please. Ah'm sure you can help ,and we might be able to earn our cutie marks in surgery or somethin' "

"Ah,.." By the Undying Queen, the wrath of kings have nothing on those eyes. He looked to Applejack for help. She gave him a look that told him he was getting no help from her. He looked to the others, they were not looking at him, he was alone. Then he remembered. I'm saved! "Actually Rarity wants to see me about a new set of cloths ..." Thanking Applejack for the food. He was gone at a speed that would make Dash blink. Applejack just laughed and shook her head.

On his way to town he remembered something else, he didn't know where Rarity lived. That would have been okay it was a small town after all, but it started raining, sheets. He could have sworn there hadn't been a cloud in the sky. From what he could see ,which wasn't much, rain and all, the clouds were moving unusually fast. "Pegasi!" He saw them flying for the first time. What must have been a dozen were moving all the clouds. It was breathtaking even standing there soaked he could see the structural beauty in it. The way the raindrops rolled off of what could have been Rainbow Dash's wings in the sunlight right before she closed a gap in the clouds.
"Wow" He said barely audible.

Sirlen still had his head in the clouds when he tripped on something and landed with a face full of mud.
"Oh no! Please forgive me I didn't see you there" ,Said the unfortunately kicked object.
"It's quite alright I wasn't looking were I was going. I should apologize. " Said Sirlen getting up to see Rarity. She was in the middle of a jungle of floating bags and boxes, and she didn't have a drop of water on her. Or mud or anything out of place; how she managed in this weather was beyond him.

Sirlen shook his head this world was getting to him he was going soft.
"Rarity you are actually just the mare I came to see."

"Really?" She asked with what might have been a blush.

Sirlen oblivious said, "Yes, you said something yesterday about making me an outfit or something."

"Oh yes" ,she said excited, "Come with me. I am on my way to my shop right now."


* * * *

Rairity was nervous, nervous and embarrassed. She couldn't tell what Sirlen was thinking, but it probably wasn't nice. She held the door open for him and he came in muddy from hoof to mane. Worse it was her fault. "Goodness, but I make terrible first impressions" she thought.

"Sirlen come on in and make yourself at home. Go on in the work room. I'll be there just as soon as I put all this away."

Sirlen nodded and she went to put every thing in her supply room. When she got back she noticed Sirlen pacing the room looking at everything, almost like he was taking inventory.

His eyes shifted to her. "Normally I would sit, but all this stuff is too nice to get muddy."

She smiled at the compliment then remembered. "Oh, I'm sorry where are my manners go ahead and step out of that and I will get it washed and back to you." She said.

He stiffened and looked at her funny then realization dawned on his face. "Uh, Lady Rarity...." He whispered into her ear.

"Uh! Un that case you can use the upstairs bathroom" ,She said a little panicked, hoping she wasn't as red faced as she felt," and here is something to cover up with." She passed him the ugliest shade of green fabric, just in case the fabric got mud on it. He disappeared upstairs. "Good job Rarity, that is two faux pas in a matter of minutes. Next thing you know you are going to be dancing like Twilight." She shuddered at the thought.

* * * * *

Sirlen walked down the stairs, cloths and equipment bundled in his arms. He wore the green fabric as a sort of toga with one arm and head exposed. He looked over to Rarity, who was busy tidying up her shop, the faintest tinges of red still shown through her coat.

She noticed him and said, "Good, now that your nice and dry let me get some measurements."

The seamstress was no novice, she had all kinds of measuring instruments floating around him like a hailstorm. Though he felt she was very thorough, very thorough. Then she was done just like that. It was as if being an entirely new species didn't matter.

"I have to say I'm impressed. I've never- 'Cough' never been sized that fast, and the numbers look accurate enough." Sirlen said as he looked at the clipboard Rarity was scribbling on.

Rarity tuned to face him and looked shocked almost as if she had forgotten he was there. She was wearing a small pair of red glasses balanced on her nose. "Wha..? Ah yes, the measurements were the easy part. Now I just have to examine your cloths to see how they move and bend, so we can avoid uncomfortable pinches and creases. Then their is your shoes I have never seen their like. They would have been almost artfully crafted if they weren't so drab. and...............................................What is this."

She was staring at his cloak horn glowing slightly. It was the cloak every sleuth received at the end of his apprenticeship. It was charmed to distort the human shape of his body so he could better hide in shadow.

Rarity. was. transfixed. She was staring in open mouthed wonder. Sirlen couldn't see why. The cloak was made to be unremarkable. Part of its magic made it hard to look at ,the eye wanted to slide past it. How Rarity was even concentrating on it was a mystery.

"Celestia, it's beautiful the colors, the patterns, the delicate flow of magic through every stich. SIRLEN can you believe it, it is like someone made a second cloak entirely out of magic and combined the two. A magic cloak! The possibilities are endless. I would have never thought to..... even to form it like that it would take great skill.....can it be done in the visible spectrum?"

She stared at it for a good twenty minutes before she remembered she wasn't alone. "Oh, I'm sorry", She flushed, "I normally don't geek out like that sorry."
"Don't worry about it", Sirlen said waving it off," As long as you're happy I don't mind. Plus, It isn't like I have somewhere to be." He said with a smile.
Rarity looked relieved, embarrassed, then worried. "Somewhere to be... OMC!(Oh my celestia, just so you know)"
"Sirlen", She said suddenly calm." could you help me carry some food over to Twilights. The gals and I were planning to have a little get together.

* * * * *
And so Sirlen was walking down the road carrying a huge dish that smelled really good, reminding him of his short breakfast. Rarity had quickly made him something to wear before he left her shop. He was wearing some pants that were made for some pony named String Bean. They were the only ones close to his size. For a shirt she had wrapped the green fabric in a way that wasn't terrible. The way it was done made it look like it was longer in the back than the front, so it looked a little like a suit with a tail, not terrible.

She as always looked pristine. It didn't take her any time at all to go from working, to going out. Though that doesn't mean it was done with little effort. Sirlen couldn't see her for a full minute as beauty supplies floated around her. "This must be some get together", Sirlen thought," or does she do this every time she goes out?"

"So who al- 'cough' who all is going to be there?" As Sirlen said this he dropped to one knee in a hacking fit.

"Oh Dear! Are you alright" Rarity said concern written in her features.

"Yea, 'cough' It's nothing to worry about honestly." Sirlen said suddenly glad the farm pony wasn't around to call him out on that.

"Are you sure? Because it sure didn't look like nothing darling. You haven't been straining your injuries ,have you?"

"No, I'm fine. It is just part of the healing process" , Or at least he hoped it was. "It doesn't hurt so try to think nothing of it." At least that part is true. He felt no pain from it.

He was saved from further inquiries by their arrival at the library. As Rarity reached up to knock on the door, Sirlen noticed something eerie, all the lights were out in the library. Not only that but it was silent. This was certainly not what a friendly get together was supposed to sound like. When he strained he could hear muffled movement and hushed whispers.

Sirlen must've missed the reply to Rarity's knock because she was already opening the door. Every bone in his body screamed of ambush. "Rarity wait!" He whispered hurriedly. It was too late, she didn't hear, he had to act.

* * * * *

Pinkie Pie was bouncing through the darkened library, not making a sound. Everpony had been idly chatting until she had told them with her pinkie sense that Rarity and Sirlen were close. Then everypony quieted down and hid for their arrival. Oh, how she just loved parties. And it had been a while since she had thrown a Welcome-to-Ponyville-creature-I-didn't-know-existed-a-few-days-ago-party. Luckily she still had the banner.

Somepony knocked on the door. 'OOOOoh this was her favorite part.' Nopony answered but the door was opening anyway. As soon as it opened at the best angle for a good surprise. Pinkie flicked the lights on.

SUPRISE!!!

The doorway was empty except for a tub of casserole. "Silly casserole we are waiting for Sirlen", Pinkie said as she walked up to it, only her head out of the door way. Her pinkie sense went off. She turned her head 180 degrees to see Sirlen, one foot one the lamp that above Twilights step , one arm hung on a tree limb and the other holding a very surprised Rarity.
"Hi what'cha doin'?"

* * * * *

Pinkie's question broke the spell for Rarity. She was in the air. Sirlen was holding her in just one of his arms, incredible. How? Why? His arms were starting to shake, so he dropped down taking all the impact as they landed and gently put her down. He looked at the party and the assembled guests sheepishly, some of who were just as confused as she was and some a little worried.
"I'll just go", he said before walking away.

Rarity took one look at Pinkie and the others before fallowing him down the road.
"Wait! Sirlen ,wait.", She called after him. He paused, but he didn't turn around. "What happened back there?" Rarity asked.

"I thought 'sigh' I thought we were going to be attacked."Sirlen said. Rarity couldn't read his voice to tell what he was feeling.
"So you tried.....you tried to protect me" Rarity said trailing off into an inaudible whisper. "Wait, there is nothing wrong with how you reacted. What has you so worried darling?"
"I-,I frightened them." Sirlen said shoulders slumped. "Don't worry I'm used to it. You should go back and enjoy your get together." He continued to walk down the street.

"They weren't.." Rarity trailed off again. "Yea, they were weren't they." She thought. Even though they ad been warned of what to expect they were still frightened. It was like Zecora all over again, but .. they still came.
"Sirlen wait. this wasn't just a get together. It was a welcome to Ponyville party for you. They may have been frightened , but they came for you, to say you are welcome here. Now, stop being sorry for yourself and enjoy yourself.

Sirlen Stopped walking.

* * * * *

As Sirlen and Rarity reentered the library they were greeted pleasantly, it was like they had never left. Music was playing, though Sirlen couldn't see the musicians, and everyone was having fun. Pinkie was set on introducing all the ponies of ponyville to him. He was greeted with mostly trepidation at first, but when they got talking they warmed up nicely.

The ponies danced to songs he had never herd. Songs of grief and woe. Songs of love found and lost. Songs of happiness and joy. Songs he couldn't even describe. The ponies danced in a very familiar style to that of his folk back home. He didn't dance, but not for lack of trying on Pinkie's part. He just watched them twirl.

Near the end of the night only single or childless couples were still partying. He had had a good time. When the little ones went home to bed Pinkie broke out some wine, and it was funny watching some of the ponies that couldn't handle their drink. Which was surprising given how weak the stuff was and how much the average pony must weigh. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy being two of the ones that couldn't hold their wine. Sirlen figured it must be a pegasus thing, them being lighter for flying and all.

It was in this calm time at the end of the party that Pinkie thought it a good idea to liven the place up a bit. She played the only song he recognized all evening "The Queens Eighth Calvary". Oh, the memories this song brought back. As the song started he walked over to Twilight who was doing her own thing in a corner, a wide radius around her for the safety of the party goers.

"Twilight, Would you like this dance."

"What me? Y-you want to dance with me."

"Yes, that is if you will give me the honor of tonight's last dance."

She blushed but allowed him to take her hoof and lead her out to the middle of the dance floor. It was a little awkward at first because he had to teach her his way of dancing to the music, but Pinkie kept the song going and twilight learned fast. And then it just clicked for her she suddenly was matching him step for step. He might have been faster but she never missed a step. The other ponies watched as they spun faster and faster as the song grew older. Soon other ponies were mirroring them as best they could, never quite matching their ferocity. Twilight was cracking a smile as big as his own. She looked like she was made for this kind of dancing. The way she flowed from one move to the next. It was simply remarkable, almost flawless. They danced on and on until they were sweating and breathing hard. She let out a laugh as the song finally slowed. It was a beautiful laugh, almost musical. Sirlen just sat there panting, his breathing labored then constricted.

Twilights worried face was the last thing he saw before hitting the ground.








.

Author's Note:

Please leave me a comment. How am I to know how terrible I am unless you all tell me. I have not had an editor work on this yet.

Comments ( 3 )

Hello, I have now read your first story (no duh!). My opinion: I like the idea,and it could be even better with some serious formatting and editing. I would be happy to do so, however I can not understand how to edit on this site.

3516388 how I have done it in the past is I have emailed them a copy of the story they fix it and then I fix it on the site I did that with the first two chapters of this story but then my editor started to have some troubles of his own so only the first two chapters got edited. Thank you for reading, and as I said hearing feedback is always a pleasure. ps this story will get action just a little later it is slow now but I plan for it to go far.

3726225 thanks for the advise PS this story is sadly pending at the moment

Login or register to comment