• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 3,431 Views, 118 Comments

A Cybernetic Life - AxtontheMechanist



A robot, more specifically, a robot with a rather sarcastic sense of humor ends up in Equestria after a rather unfortunate incident at the test facility he resides in. What will this new land offer him? Will he live prosperously? Probably not.

  • ...
34
 118
 3,431

A whole New World

Omega Test Facility, Earth....

“Subject Zero. Wake up. Command Repeat; Wake Up, Subject Zero” A deep American voice spoke over the intercom, the sound emanating around the room like a fly in a jar.

My cybernetic eyes opened, blue LED lights flickering to life as my systems came online, a labyrinth of wires activating in my processor core. ‘Activation sequence initiated’ The synthetic voice in my mind ringing clearly through my audio listening devices; or rather, my synthetic plastic ‘ears’.

The joints of my body moved to life, making small squeaking sounds as I had not oiled them that day. Standing slowly from the slab of metal that was my bed, I looked at myself in the mirror, just to remind myself exactly who, or what I was.
The reflection stared back at me, telling me everything I needed to know; I was a V-68 cybernetic combat and servitor unit, currently in beta testing. The materials I was made of were carbon fiber, strengthened, and various other metals and components which completed my form, making me a synthetic representation of a human being.

Or as close as one could be to a human by being a robot.

For a moment, I just stood there and closed my eyes, taking in the vast white cell that I had been kept in since what they, the men and women scientists who made me, called ‘Day One’. Apparently, I was their most valuable asset, costing millions, no, billions to make. In a sense, that brought pride to my AI core that was implanted within my processor, knowing that in a way, I was always valuable to them. I looked back at the cell now, my bionic eyes scanning the area, analyzing my situation. Of course, this place never really held anything for me, just endless upgrades and tests with the odd rest to accumulate power through my matter capacitors.

Now, the voice spoke again, kind as it always was. Of course, it was never any real kindness, just a fake mask that I had detected via the voice waves and patterns that came out of that little intercom.

“Subject Zero. I see you are awake, good. Today we will be testing transportation of matter through electron displacement. Isn't that exciting?” The voice was sickeningly sweet. It’s such a shame I can’t feel sick isn't it? Oh well, I didn’t reply, fully well knowing what kind of rebuke it would earn me; either 5000 volts from one of the wall mounted stun guns, or a simple beating to my metal armoured plates. Not that the latter would really hurt me. Anyway, back to the matter at my metallic hand.

I walked over to the door that led out of the cell, my plated feet making small ‘clunk, clunk’ noises as I traveled across the pristine and polished metal floor. Of course, the guards were already waiting for me, ready to take me to another damned test of theirs. It felt just too....routine for me. After a while, the guards had FINALLY escorted me to the room, shock batons at the ready. How long did take them? Five minutes? Ten minutes? Way too slow.

Moving in to the room, the guards preferring to stand by the door, I scanned it. The room was the usual testing room material; arctic white walls, polished floor and item pedestal in the middle. The only thing that really stood out on my scanners and HUD was the item that lay upon the pedestal, glinting in the light. The voice rung out again from the intercom, giving me my orders to what I should do. Or at least what I should accomplish in this test.

“Alright, Zero, here’s what you’re going to have to do.” He explained slowly, as if talking to a five year old about basic maths.

“I want you to pick up that device right there and press the activation key ‘5698’ into it. Once that happens, you should be transported to the cell on your left, which you can see through that glass panel. Of course if the device malfunctions, do not fear. Just keep to your parameters and everything will be fine.” His voice was silky smooth upon the intercom’s message. Why the hell was he trying to comfort me? Even though I can feel emotion due to my AI implants, I’m not some sort of confused infant.

Disregarding this thought, I walked over to the device, analyzing its power and capacity. Both seemed fairly high and just a little and unstable, but who am I to question what the Director makes me do? (If you didn’t know already, the Director was that incessantly annoying voice on the intercom.) I picked up the device, punching in the access code. Little did I know, the Director had the last digit wrong, as I stood there, still oblivious as to what was happening to me that very moment.
A purple light enveloped me, blanketing my entire physical manifestation in a glowing purple and magenta light. ‘Ah, crapbaskets...’ Was the final thought I processed before being zapped off to god knows where.

8:00 PM, Equestria, Near the Everfree forest...

Bellatrix Lulamoon was sitting once more in her magic drawn carriage as it slowly rumbled along the roads at what felt like a slug’s pace along the path that led around the Everfree forest. She was in a melancholy state with her head in her hands, mourning upon the fact that, in truth, she only had fans and not friends. Of course, her train of thought was broken when she heard a loud ‘thud’ outside the wagon as it rode over an object. She truly hoped it wasn’t any sort of animal. What? She may have been a bit cruel, but she wasn’t that cruel. After all, she was the Great and Powerful Trixie, so she WAS benevolent and kind.

She cast another spell, making sure the wagon had stopped before opening the back door which led out into the night. What she saw before her lay a very odd sight indeed. It seemed to be rather like her, although it was presumably male. Oh, that and it was made of metal and some sort of weird technology that highly outclassed that of Equestrian technology. Of course, since Equestrian technology was basically industrial age, it wasn’t really that hard to surpass. Even Magitech could surpass it.

Disregarding her scornful thoughts of Equestrian tech, she tried to pick up the creature. It was surprisingly light, and she began to wonder what made it like that as she carried the weird... thing, into her wagon, placing it on the sofa and finally getting some sleep for the night.


10:00 AM, Equestria, once again upon the pathway...


I awoke almost startlingly, sitting up covered in what looked like a duvet, or a blanket. Huh, this wasn’t the test facility at all. Blankets weren't really their style. ‘Investigation and Activation parameters activated’ The voice once rung out in my head. It felt nice to actually carry out my own commands for once. Of course, it was still a little strange to not be in the test facility for once. It felt almost freeing. Almost. Mainly due to the fact that I knew nothing on where I was, and no satellites (if there were any here) were picking up my geographical location and transferring it to me.

I scanned the room, finally having stood up. The wagon, or at least that is what it seemed to be, had a homely sense to it. Well, that was what my AI implant sense was picking up. From another room, I heard a small shuffling through my audio sensors, which told me something was moving in the other room. Activating my small wrist mounted pulse cannon, I walked into the room, only to find what looked like a human girl.

What was rather outlandish was her hairstyle, which was an aqua blue colour with silvery streaks running through them, like little liquid mercury rivers. She lightly stirred under her bed sheets, waking up ever so slowly. I decided to leave the room for now, so as not to be accused to be what modern society calls ‘A pedo’.

After a while, and a lot of system checks later, she finally decided to come out of her room. Y’know, now that I process the idea that this is a wagon, it is a lot bigger on the inside. Pushing that processed thought away, I saw her enter the room. Of course, she expected me to be resting, hence her wide eyes as she stammered.

“Wha- what are you? Trixie is just c-curious.” Great, she refers to herself in the third person, just what I needed.

I quietly assessed what to say back to her. After all, this was a woman we were talking about here, she could react to even the slightest jest if made wrongly. So I went with the simple option (for once) of introducing myself.

“I am a V-68 cybernetic combat and servitor unit. I don’t have a name. But you may call me Zero.”

Author's Note:

Hey all, it's good to be back. I told the rest would be little. :3

Anywho, thanks to the ever Illusive Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading my work. Also, if you're reading this, it means you have read the chapter, so thanks for that too.

Signing off for now,

Axton