• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 3,431 Views, 118 Comments

A Cybernetic Life - AxtontheMechanist



A robot, more specifically, a robot with a rather sarcastic sense of humor ends up in Equestria after a rather unfortunate incident at the test facility he resides in. What will this new land offer him? Will he live prosperously? Probably not.

  • ...
34
 118
 3,431

Performance Time

I walked down and into the Manehatten hall, where the stage was already set. The area is bustling; the crowd mills around like a nest of ants readying for their queen, while performers discreetly slipped in and out of the stage wings, moving instruments and all manner of props around the area like some sort of secret agency. I spotted an electric blue haired woman onstage, testing out her sound system. From what I could guess, this was the one and only Vinyl Scratch. A loud WUB was sent through the building as performers and crowd alike glared at her after getting up from the floor which they were knocked onto. She scratched her head awkwardly.

“Heh, sorry all of ya. Kinda slipped.” Octavia groaned in exasperation at this; this was obviously a daily thing for her. Vinyl walked down from the stage after another few minutes, coming down to meet us.

“Sup. Name’s Vinyl Scratch.” She grinned, shaking hands with us.

“Vinyl! Manners!” Octavia exclaimed, hands on hips as she glared at Vinyl angrily. Y’know, watching these two bicker is rather like watching two school girls argue; always fun, until someone brings in the mace. Cat Fight, Cat Fight! (What? Can’t a bot enjoy some people fighting now and then? No? You’re no fun.)

“Ah come on Octy” She pulled Octavia into a hug, said Octavia blushing profusely, mumbling an ‘I told you not call me that in public’. I simply laughed, why Trixie tried to suppress her mirth. It was, in fact, rather funny and for a simple reason too; it was now like watching a teenage couple argue instead. Oh the joys of being me.

A loudspeaker boomed over everyone speaking “The show will begin in five minutes. I repeat the show will begin in five minutes. Performers grab your props and equipment, crowd, please take a seat. Thank you.” The loudspeaker toned out once more, leaving the crowd and performers to go about their business accordingly.

Octavia leaned over “Good luck. Those who perform well receive pay.” She smiled and walked off toward the stage. Or rather, walked as well as possible with a giant fuckoff cello in one’s hands.

Vinyl simply nodded and jumped up to her sound system, ready to perform. Of course, she was going first. I prepared my audio sensors for the worst; this place was gonna get real loud, real quick. I jumped backstage, where Trixie was waiting for me (Not in that sense, perverts.)

Vinyl stepped up to the front of the loudspeaker and said “Stand back everybody, I got this. Octavia, hit it!” Octavia nodded and began to play, while Vinyl filled in as the song began. Everybody began to nod their heads, making the crowd seem like a collective mass of bobble-heads. Even I had to admit, this song was damn catchy. Goddamn me and my AI’s sense for music.

The song carried on for what seemed a few hours, in truth it was actually just around four minutes (a long time to play the cello for on stage. I can play the cello, I know, but imagine the amount of pressure that would create.)

A lot of other people performed their songs, most earning a very good reception from the audience; truly, this was a performer’s paradise. The many songs included ‘Panic Station’, ‘Payphone’ and ‘The Melancholy of Pinkie Pie’. All were highly impressive songs, and earned high applause from the audience.

Finally, it was time for Trixie and me to perform. Naturally, she had a few jitters, but with enough encouragement, finally got on stage. Even I had to admit again; the crowd was massive. I waited in the wings of the staging area while Trixie performed her piece. She was truly amazing; pyrotechnics everywhere led across the stage, not setting alight to it, but simply going across it in a graceful and passionate manner, making a beautiful display. What, didn’t expect me to admire a performer’s piece? No, I do not have a thing for her! Shut up!

The fire seemed to dance around the stage, eventually forming a gigantic fiery snake, which hissed and slithered around the hall, an inferno basilisk. I had to admit, that was rather impressive. I nodded my head in appreciation as Trixie continued performing upon the large stage, making all manner of illusions appear; from fiery orbs, to loads of me break dancing. And damn, did I look good.

The audience clapped in uproar, appreciating Trixie’s amazing performance. Hell, even I clapped, and there’s a first for a long time. Trixie bowed onstage, before announcing.

“Thank you for liking the outstanding performances of the Great and Powerful Trixie” I had to chuckle at that, her exclamations always made me laugh “And now, for my partner in crime, the Illustrious and Amazing Zero, from lands unknown!” Wow, this girl sure knew how to introduce someone. Nice title too; I could live with this.

I strode onstage, my appearance flashing and changing once more. I now had a cape similar to Trixie’s, apart from it was a steely grey with silver lining. And damn did it make me look awesome. I sat down, pulling out a guitar from my Quantum Portal Storage. I began to sing, my synthetic voice melodious as it was tuned. It cut through the air like a knife as the crowd standing in front of the stage began to cheer, clearly liking my song. Hell, I did too.

I carried on singing until I was finished, the crowd giving a collective roar of appreciation as Trixie and I bowed. We walked offstage, where I was able to talk to her.

“Wow, Trixie-I mean, I knew you could play and sing, but that was-“ She began to yammer excitedly, before I interrupted her. Christ, she was acting rather unlike herself right now.

“Absolutely awesome? I know. Anyway, you weren’t too bad yourself, that fire snake thing was pretty cool” I nodded my head while she tried, but failed to hide a blush. Seriously, I swear if she has a crush on me.... well.

We eventually received our prize money, having done well (was there ever any doubt?).

I then thought to myself,

Badass performance level; me.

Author's Note:

Many thanks to Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading!

Signing off for now,

Axton