• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 3,431 Views, 118 Comments

A Cybernetic Life - AxtontheMechanist



A robot, more specifically, a robot with a rather sarcastic sense of humor ends up in Equestria after a rather unfortunate incident at the test facility he resides in. What will this new land offer him? Will he live prosperously? Probably not.

  • ...
34
 118
 3,431

The City of Tricks

Before long, the ragtag group of adventurers had set out again upon the mountainous roads. The day was tough, with boiling hot weather that scalded and beat against the skin like a thousand clubs of pain and venom. The rocky road beneath their feet was a dull brown-khaki mix of mud, dirt, dust and tufts of grass that was downtrodden by the feet of the countless travellers who had tramped and trudged upon the lonely path that lay before them.

Hours ticked by like decades as the group walked away, hunger biting at them and heat sizzling at their skin. Yet still, they walked on, through day and night as the men, woman and creatures of the group moved together, a single unit, a single person. Strength of mind and rations spread thin pushed them on through night and day; the nights were as cold as the Arctic, the day as painful as volcano lava.

Many days passed, the group just able to cling together through times both tough and testing. Many arguments were had out of the sheer stress of their limited supplies and patience. They passed through the lands of the Griffins, through the many ways of the land. More than once they got lost, detouring their route. Many a times they had they encountered danger; and by the skin of their teeth, they escaped it, for fortune smiled down upon them.

The group had spent many a night under the stars; and in this way, relationships had started to bloom, happiness fading to love and joy. Zero and Trixie spent these nights discussing magic, tactics and their own relationship. Vinyl and Octavia's nights were filled with steamy passion and musical miracles through cello and magic (how Octavia managed to save her cello and cello bow was beyond Vinyl and the others). Celia and Fenrir spent their time thinking of their future, what they were going to do and the such. On the other hand, Pip usually got most the supplies, being a gifted hunter due to his youthful agility.

And then there was Hammerfist.

He sat alone on the edges of their camp, often found looking up at the moon. Many people had often asked him why he had not chosen someone already, why he had not settled down; after all with his strength and Champion of the Arena title, he could get anything he wanted, anyone.

Yet that was not the way he liked to have his life. Being born in a poor, destitute clan, he fought, learned to fight life the hard way. He trained every day, hunted, bought books with the little money he had back then, in the days of clan Fire Blood. He had defended his clan of twenty alone, with his trusty axe, the axe that had helped him fight against the bandits, brigands, warriors and warlords. He was the Bloody Biped, the Warrior of One, The One 'Taur Army.

...So why did he feel so alone?

Of course, he knew the answer. Luna. Ever since he met her after that very first arena match when he first moved to Equestria, after his Clan had found peace, he had fallen head over armoured hooves in love. In a way, it was ironic how many he had fought, how many he had slain in anger, rage, justice and hope of a better day; yet in the end, he had fallen for a Princess. Tough as she may be, that is what she is to him. Someone who he needs to protect with his life, or die trying.

And when he got back, he knew what he was going to do. He was going to sweep her off her feet and make sure she knew exactly how special she was to him. He nodded resolutely, and from that night onwards, he slept peacefully.

6 days later...

The ragtag group, on their seventh day of long and arduous travelling, reached a ridge upon a cliff, only to be rewarded with one of the most beautiful sights they had ever seen in their lifetimes (in all honesty, Zero hadn't ever seen outside of the facility, so this was very astounding. So amazing that he took a selfie in front of it).

Beyond them stood a giant city, made entirely of bronze and other various assortments of metals; it stood proud, glimmering in the morning's sun, a beacon of hard work and glory. The walls were made of shimmering marble, pure white and perfectly maintained; they were so white, one could mistake them for the morning snow on a winter's day.

Vinyl grinned "Awesome! If I knew Luna and Celestia were sending us on a holiday, I would've signed up quicker!".

This raised a deadpan look from most of the group, ruining the mood completely; Octavia sighed, rolling her eyes as the adventurers tried to work out a way to get down the mountain. Soon enough, the had set to abseiling down the rocky cliff-face, making it down within a short time due to the fact that they had built up a fair bit of muscle having travelled so far in such a short time. In any case, it was Celia's luck that she could fly down with her wings to the bottom, which made the whole process quicker (the rope they had left had to be used less, which also kept it in better condition).

This eventually lead to walking along a stone-laid path toward the hulking behemoth of a city; guards, dressed in black cloaks. At this, the group froze as the guards walked over, weapons drawn.

"Well well well, what do we have here?" A griffon with his face covered grinned inside his dark mask as he undid his sword "You're wanted criminals, you know that?" He grinned, unsheathing his sword from it's scabbard.

A whole battalion of other guards had drawn their weapons, a few Minotaur drawing devastating looking arrays of weaponry out of shoulder sheaths; one even held two broadswords, one in each hand.

Despite this, the group prepared to fight, Zero about to go into Battle Mode; until something horrific happened.

As the group were about to launch themselves into battle, a device latched onto Zero's chest, shocking him and leaving him helpless to stumble into the floor, lights and wires flickering under the powerful shock that left him defenceless.

The last thing his cerulean blue cyber-eyes saw before blacking out were a screaming Trixie and a grinning man in a black cloak standing over him as the adventurers were quickly overrun.

Author's Note:

Hey all! I just managed to slip out a chapter; these exams are super-tough right now. :( Fortunately, my Drama exam has been completed :D I think I did well as the R.S.M. from Killed (Look it up, great play :) ) Many thanks to Fluttershy Auditore for being proof-reader for this chapter :) .

Once more, should you find any mistakes (We can't spot all of them when they appear :P ) please post them in the comments; and don't forget to like and favorite! ;D

Keep those gears grinding,
Axton