• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 3,431 Views, 118 Comments

A Cybernetic Life - AxtontheMechanist



A robot, more specifically, a robot with a rather sarcastic sense of humor ends up in Equestria after a rather unfortunate incident at the test facility he resides in. What will this new land offer him? Will he live prosperously? Probably not.

  • ...
34
 118
 3,431

A Desperate Plan

I pulled myself out of the small pyramid of cannons that I had used to transform, shaking my head clear of gunpowder as carnage erupted around me like a bull in a china shop. As I hauled myself to my feet, I surveyed my surroundings, my blue cybernetic lenses scanning the area with unworldly precision.

The enemy pirate ship was left as nothing more than a skeleton, due to the intense cannon fire I had used to tear through it; it reminded me of all the hurricane devastation videos I watched from back on the facility.

I blinked once, rolled my shoulders and looked about our own ship; it fared not much better than theirs; while the hull was still intact, multiple gaping holes riddled the hull, with the sails flying freely in the wind; they were also peppered with holes from musket fire and any ropes securing them to the masts had fallen onto the decks like great sinewy snakes.

In short, the ship was already on its way under the waves, which meant we only had around an hour before it sunk beneath the roaring waves of the ocean.

Vinyl and Octavia had already ran onto the deck and began to check the pulses of the sailors aboard the ship, while Trixie healed those who were wounded. Fenrir stood at the poop deck of the ship as he surveyed the damage with a heavy stare full of anger and malice, his usually neutral features clouded with rage.

Hammerfist carried out his duty as the strongest being on deck and threw all the fallen debris (pieces of mast, sail and wood) of the dying ship into the sea as his powerful muscles were rippling, debris finding its way off of the slowly suffering vessel and into the vast waters that laid between us and the Gryphon lands.

Twenty hours had passed since we set off and the ship was already on its way down, the only thing keeping it afloat being the multitude of enchantments that had been cast upon the ship.

Fenrir crossed over the deck to me, a frown on his face as he knew his mission would have to be delayed. That meant it would take longer to get the gold he so dearly needed.

“Any way you could possibly get us out of here?” He raised a brow, and looked across the deck to what remained of his crew; only three or four sailors were still left alive and they were either mortally wounded or too scared to do anything.
I thought over this; we couldn’t get out of this mess by using the life boats as they had been smashed to smithereens. A lot of the cargo was already broken, minus whatever had been salvaged from all the rooms by Hammerfist and Octavia. Finding out that the other sailors had died hit the three women pretty hard and they stood vigil at the bodies muttering a few muddled prayers as the stench of death filled the air.
“Let’s check over what we’ve got. While I do technically have infinite power, it only has a certain amount of output before I go ka-put. I have enough power for another transformation right now, as long as it lasts for not too long. I can go for about three days in a transformed state, but that all depends on the components at hand. My core isn’t exactly the state-of-the art style, even if I am, or was, one of the latest models of robot.” I nodded and walked over to the salvaged supplies, Fenrir close behind.

We had a fair amount to work with; the sheets of metal I had brought with me (which totalled to around 10 sheets of 5x10 meter sheets), many wooden planks and boards, nails and whatnot, along with two piston motors and a menagerie of bits and bobs. Along with the food and water we had (which was enough to feed a small army), I had something to work with.

“Alright, I have an idea. Get everyone here now; this isn’t going to be easy.” I ordered Fenrir, who nodded and stalked off, his feet pounding on the deck. Before long, everyone had gathered in a small semi-circle upon the wooden flooring of the dying ship; we didn’t have long, and if this was going to work, I needed everyone’s cooperation.

By now, the weather had calmed and everyone had their eyes on me; Trixie looked at me with worry, while Vinyl and Octavia simply had an anxious look on their faces. Hammerfist had donned a stoic expression, no emotion passing upon his weathered warrior’s face, while Fenrir’s emotion reflected exactly what he was thinking; he was worried about his own safety, which was obvious given the circumstances, but bore great dread around him like a curtain covering a small child.

I smiled as I knew I could trust all of these people (and if you want to get technical, the hulking Minotaur that was Hammerfist). Even Pipsqueak had come out of his hiding place and now stood by his dad’s side. Fenrir smiled back slightly, his lips twitched upwards with relief at the sight of his son.

“Alright, everyone. We’re in deep water here, no pun intended, so I have come up with a plan; I am going to transform for the second time today. Using the materials we have here, and your help, we can get to the Gryphon lands.” Everyone looked unsure at this point, but I continued to explain the plan regardless, hope burning in my AI core like a forest fire “First off, I’m going to make these multiple sheets of metal into blades, which I can use for flight with the right measurements and cutting, which I can do via using my plasma. Which, trust me, can cut through pretty much anything. Apart from that, I will need you to salvage any rope you can find and secure it to my chest and legs. Trixie, I want you to do that, you’re the best at using your magic for this kind of thing. I will then attach the blades and other various components to my back, with the help of
Hammerfist. Octavia, Vinyl and Fenrir, I want you to make the biggest raft possible from the supplies we have here. Fenrir, make sure it’s seaworthy. Everyone got that?” I look back at the myriad of faces staring at me.

However, their emotions were different from what they were a few moments ago; this time, they were filled with hope and confidence; they could get out of this alive and they knew it.
And so, a desperate plan had been hatched.

Author's Note:

Hey all! Sorry again for the long wait, exams are being a bitch right now :/

Many thanks to Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading this chapter, without him my work wouldn't be as good as you see it now.
Also, sorry if my work does not reach up to you, the reader's, expectations. I know there are loads of fanfics which are probably gazillions of miles better than mine, but I thank you for all your support and likes, favorites, especially the witty comments you all tend to put in the comments box. After all, what's a story without its readers? So my biggest thanks go to you, all you readers of this story, for your input and constant support. :D

Please leave your comments in the box below, whatever they may be!
And remember to....

Keep those gears grinding!

~Axton