• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 916 Views, 46 Comments

The Chase - Gabriel LaVedier



Sheriff Silverstar and his affair with Cactus Blossom comes to a head.

  • ...
4
 46
 916

The River

Silverstar whistled a happy tune as he completed his round for the day. Appleoosa was peaceful as ever, all spit and polish and good neighbors getting along well. The townsfolk, of all species, greeted him happily when they saw him, and he returned a tip of his hat when he saw that.

As Celestia drew her sun low in the sky and Luna slowly pulled her moon up into the orange-toned heavens, Silverstar followed the lengthening shadows to the imposing edifice that was his home. The great home had not changed at all, and the front door waited for him to open it wide. He placed his hoof on the knob, gave it a turn and let himself in.

The circuit judge arrived in a timely manner and got himself settled into Appleoosa's only hotel, as he always did. He was a middle-aged unicorn, with pressed black attire, a peach-colored coat, graying reddish mane and tail and a set of silver spectacles on his face. His docket was small, but not absent. Sometimes he got lucky and there was nothing to do but lounge. He was not so fortunate.

The city hall became a makeshift courthouse for the day, to handle the one piece of business which had enraptured the whole town. Silverstar's divorce. The rarity of the event, combined with strong feelings about the 'players' in the matter, packed the place and led to overflow seating outside, with eager reports passed along and mangled by a version of the telephone game.

“Hear ye, hear ye, this court is in session, though why that is is beyond me,” Judge Square Deal said, rapping his gavel on the desk. “Seems to me that this could have been resolved with some simple paperwork and a rubber stamp with my name on it. Why are we going through all this to-do and falderol?”

“Because, your honor, I will not accept the no-fault judgment,” Cordelia said, with a sickly sweet smile slapped hastily onto her face.

“And why is that Miss... Cordelia?” Square asked.

“No-fault creates an even distribution of property and gives the stallion alimony. That property is legally mine, and I will not be paying alimony,” Cordelia said with a certain wounded pride.

“And ah don't want nor need no alimony. Cordelia can keep her stuff. Hay, she brought most of it with her. Ah ain't got no use fer porcelain plates 'r silver folks,” Silverstar insisted.

“That was always your problem you uncouth boor! There were matters of propriety and delicacy you could never master, nor could you muster the focus to learn the right way...” Cordelia said, venom creeping into her voice. She dialed back the tone and smiled again after taking a look at the judge.

“This sure is unusual. Not that I've seen many of these before but I can't think of one that involved both sides not wanting an even split. Especially not with both sides wanting the same kind of uneven split, plus no alimony! So tell me, Miss Cordelia, just what do you have in mind for this?” Square asked.

“It's simply really. Dissolution of marriage, expurgation of the existence of it, and a payment to me for loss of potential matrimony which happened during this marriage,” Cordelia said, her tone becoming harder and businesslike.

“They make these belles out of iron out here, I guess,” Square muttered.

“Pericarp forged,” Silverstar said, on hearing the judge's mutter.

“I suddenly see why I'm sitting here for this,” Square said with a shake of his head.

“My place of origin is of no concern in this case!” Cordelia insisted, slapping a hoof down on her table. “I want this done fairly and impartially.”

“Very well, Miss Cordelia. Explain why you should get all that, plus some money from the Sheriff,” Square said.

“The matter is simple and for several days has been in the open. Silverstar has been committing adultery!” Cordelia cried, slapping her hoof down on the table again. If she was expecting a reaction she did not get her desire. The audience was silent, all the eyes staring, a few confused shrugs meeting the dramatic declaration.

“By the silence of the courtroom this doesn't seem to be a very surprising revelation,” Square noted. “For how long has this situation been happening and with whom has it been happen? If you happen to know, that is.”

“Oh I know! He stopped hiding it the other day but I smelled it on him weeks ago. It was that coquettish little buff hussy who sings down at the Salt Block. Cactus Needle or whatever her name is,” Cordelia seethed.

“Cactus Blossom,” Silverstar corrected, turning a small scowl on Cordelia. “And mind them sharp words. This is a good town. We don't throw 'round terms like 'buff' in these parts. We don't throw 'round half the terms ah heard outta you.”

“Hearsay!” Cordelia shouted, a blush crossing her snout as she realized she had let a bit too much slip. “He doesn't deny it. He doesn't even hide it. It's been... I have to guess months, maybe a year. He's slipped away, in the course of his 'duties' to other towns. I have to guess he took her too, to get in some misceg- to get in some adulterous liaisons,” she said, with a deepening blush and clearer sense of guilt.

“She ain't wrong. Ah'll own up ta several months. Since ah met her at the Salt Block and heard her sing,” Silverstar said, getting a dreamy look on his face. “We been outta town a few times, but not jes fer the kinda think Cordelia thinks. We did some proper courtin' and all. Took her ta see the nice places in th' Principality.”

“While you were still legally bound to your wife, correct? Before a formal declaration of intent? There's a bit of wiggle room after that,” Square asked.

Legally bound, that is correct, and before ah told her ah wanted out,” Silverstar replied, with heavy emphasis on the important word, which was joined by a glare in Cordelia's direction.

“Emotional bonds are secondary to the legal realities,” Cordelia noted. “We had a contract before the law.”

“Ah ain't sayin' ah done right, not by either of 'em. Least of all Cactus Blossom. But ah did it, and ah admit to it. Now ta get this mess all sorted out,” Silverstar said.

“At least you admit to guilt. It speaks well of you, Sheriff. Mendacity fares ill in my eyes. We've heard what your wife wants, and what fault she wants to bring. What of you?” Square inquired.

“Ah jes want the divorce. She can keep her money and her little things, it ain't mine anyhow. Ah don't want no upkeep money from her, ah don't need it,” Silverstar said.

“Very reasonable, sir,” Square said, nodding, “But she has fault, and a serious fault beside. Her case is stronger unless you can prove an earlier or more serious one.”

Silverstar hesitated, tapping nervously on the table, which brought a smug smile to Cordelia's face. “He has no such thing. He knows how this will go. I take matters like this seriously.”

The hesitation vanished and Silverstar snorted through his mustache. “Ya want a fault Cordelia? Ya got plenty of 'em. Yer bigotry ain't nothing ta be proud of, that shouldda been mah first sign ta get out.”

Cordelia went stiff and stammered out, “Th-this is all p-pure hearsay and has no...”

“Alienation of affection,” Silverstar stated, firmly, a gasp moving like a wave through the crowd. Even the judge looked a bit stricken.

“That is a serious fault in matters such as these...” Square said, fiddling with the gavel. “That even serves as mitigation for the adultery if the alienation was severe enough. You say that this alienation took the form of bigotry?”

“She weren't none too kind ta the non-pony-folks in town. Never had been, out there in her old home but here there were more here. All kindsa awful terms outta her mouth, things ah ain't comfortable with repeatin' before respectable townsfolk and an upright judge as yerself,” Silverstar said with a humble, downward look.

“Please provide examples of these terms used, and those with delicate sensibilities please be aware that this is testimony and not the idea of the Sheriff,” Square said to Silverstar and the crowd.

“You can't allow this! This is still hearsay and is unduly prejudicial. There is no way to confirm any of this,” Cordelia cried, knocking a hoof firmly on her table.

“Miss Cordelia, I heard you use a slur against buffalo in my court. I will listen to this and decide if it sounds in line with what I can glean from the plain facts of the matter,” Square said, in a slow and calm voice. “Sheriff, please proceed.”

“She was always talkin' 'bout donkeys as... knob-knees, or such. An' ah heard her say something 'bout a griffin. It was... mish-mash...” Silverstar blushed heavily, looking down and away from all eyes. “And ah know ah heard her call some nice Roani folks ribbontails. But here, it's all about bein' mad that the buffalo folk 're here. She don't like 'em marrying up with ponies. And... now that the mine's been makin' some bits she was talkin' 'bout... she... she called the Diamond Dogs... dirt Dogs...”

“Scandal! Outrage!” From the audience boomed the voice of First Edition, who looked to have been doing a bit of reporting work for himself. The pencil snapped in his magical grip and his fat face was lined with a deep scowl. “To say such a vile slur! Chase her out of town right now!”

Square rapped the gavel loudly on his table, rising up suddenly. “Order! Order! The audience will keep order and quiet or I will clear this room! You were warned about there being uncomfortable terms to be used. Now please restrain yourself.”

“Yes, your honor. My apologies,” The newspaperstallion said, picking up the broken pencil bits and returning to his writing. From the look on his face the poison was really going to flow through the article.

“Now, to the matter at hoof...” Square said, settling back down. “Given the evidence I have seen with my own eyes, and heard with my own ears I must conclude that this may be true and accurate information. Miss Cordelia you know that such bigoted opinions are sharply contrary to the way of Equestrian society. Alienation of affection is natural in such circumstances.”

“But there exists no proof for the particulars,” Cordelia insisted, attempting to remain calm after First's outburst. She could feel his eyes burning into the back of her head. “It could have been a momentary slip, today, while I was a perfect Equestrian lady before, and never alienated Silverstar's affections. Which means we have only his admission of adultery.”

“There was one more thing...” Silverstar said quietly, eyes closed and breathing growing a bit ragged. “She... she beat me, your honor. She beat me and threw me out of the house in the rain, without anythin' but the clothes on mah back.”

“Beat... you..?” Square looked in shocked at Silverstar, being turning a hard glare on Cordelia. “Domestic violence? A rare crime, and one considered among the most heinous, a matter of brutality like murder, foal-battery and sexual violation. Did you perpetrate this crime as is being reported?”

Cordelia licked her dry lips, composing herself as she looked up into the judge's eyes. She had to lie without a trace of guilt or shame. “No, your honor, and there exists no proof that such a thing ever happened.”

Silverstar slumped a bit more before a voice called out, “No, I saw it! He was all beaten up that night of the big storm, a bit before he said he was getting a divorce!” Further voices in the audience stated similar things, over and over.

“Y-you can't take what they say at face value, there's no proof. This is all just a lot of assertions without evidence,” Cordelia cried, looking back at the audience. She turned her head back around when she caught a sea of angry glares. She had never had much in the way of support and had burned every last bit in recent weeks.

“Miss Cordelia, the court judges that conspiracy is, itself, a crime that must be demonstrated. You have to offer proof that the citizens of town are intentionally conspiring against you. They corroborate that Silverstar was beaten,” Square said.

“But you can't prove I did it!” Cordelia cried to the audience. She turned back to the judge and lifted her head in an imperious gesture. “I made my case. Adultery. I demand a fee for my time and complete expurgation of the marriage from all records.”

“Yes. It falls to me to rule on what to do about all of this. I will say one thing. These proceedings, by their rarity and the desperate nature of the situations that call for them make acrimony the norm. But there is only one acrimonious one in this case...” Square rapped the gavel on the table. “There will be a complete expurgation. The marriage will have never existed. The other particulars will be determined after I consider the particulars. We are in recess.” He slammed the gavel down hard, leaving the city hall in still silence.

“Ah'm home,” Silverstar called, as he entered the house. It was his house, free and clear. His fancy Canterlot lawyer had gotten it for him. Despite not wanting nor needing either a fancy Canterlot lawyer or the house, Balance Beam had been only too happy to offer her services. She could be very persuasive.

“My dear, I trust your rounds were peaceful and quiet,” Cactus Blossom answered, waddling her way into the front room. The buffalo cow had added to herself, a third feather at her marriage, and a large baby-filled swell in her belly, after a year of that marriage.

“Peaceful, oh yes. Quiet? It ain't never quiet in that town. Always cheerin' and callin' and offerin' me free salt an' drinks. It's why ah love it,” Silverstar replied. He flopped down on the couch in the front room and picked up the paper. The paper had been about nothing but the divorce for a week after. The headlines trumpeted the failure of Cordelia's gambit. Fault was assigned to her end, which was what got Balance Beam to wrangle her into giving up property in exchange for rational alimony payments and no scandal, which would be risen even if she were only arrested and accused of spousal abuse. “Lookin' at the paper reminds me, First Edition asked if we would like ta join him fer dinner. He and his family are having some do, ah think Honeysuckle's gonna pop the question. Won't that Miss Topaz be surprised?”

“She should not be. I think that Honeysuckle spends more time in the mine than a miner would,” Cactus said with a light laugh, pulling up onto the couch and snuggling up with her husband. She nuzzled at the feather in his hatband and then at one ear. “Did you accept the generous offer?”

“Ah said we might. Yer still haulin 'round twins, that ain't easy ta do,” Silverstar noted, rubbing the rounded buffalo belly and smiling.

“This is true. Their motions indicate they will be strong in the ways of the stampede,” Cactus noted, wryly, nudging Silverstar with a shoulder. “But if the Gale-Bells have taught us anything it is that after children come there are few chances to be out and about without extensive planning or the inconveniencing of others. So let us take advantage.”

“Right as always, mah dear,” Silverstar said, dutifully rising and walking to the bedroom. He pulled out his formal shirt and a finer vest, getting them on with only a small bit of hassle. His feather was transferred from his working hat to the high-quality embroidered silk hat he had gotten from a Caballito import shop. It pulled his casual look together perfectly.

While digging through the closet for some shiny spurs, a must for something like an engagement party, he came across his old wedding album. Cordelia had abandoned the house in a hurry, having grabbed up all the important and valuable items and left what she did not think was worth anything. It was unsurprising that it was there. Though he had intended to be quick he couldn't help but flip through the pages.

Every picture was a lie. He was smiling, even though he heard the most unkind things. She was smiling even though she was only calculating was to change him. Her whole family were a lot of vipers, who were smiling to thoughts of image and propriety, not love. Each photo was a window into a time that never was, telling a tale more invented than a radio play or stage drama.

He brought the book into the living room and threw it into the fireplace, hitting it with the lighter by the side and then stepping away after pulling the screen shut. “Ready to go, dear?”

Cactus slowly got herself off the couch, giving Silverstar plenty of time to attach the spurs which he had found. “Are you sure you should leave that unattended? And what are you burning? It looks to be a book...”

“It ain't nothing. Jes some old junk Cordelia left behind. It ain't actually anything, some kindling for the fireplace. Bad bit of fiction, you know, one of those things they make up and ya wonder who could believe it,” Silverstar said, steering Cactus towards the front door.

“Oh, of course, yes. One of the two-bit novels, as they say. How can such trash ever make it through the editing process?” Cactus asked as she waddled out the door.

“Things fall through the cracks. Much as we may hate it, it's jes how it goes. Fools an' good intentions go hoof-in-hoof...” Silverstar said, looking back briefly to the book, which had swiftly burned away to curled black pages and smoldering embers. With a firm nod he turned towards his wife and pressed against her side, both of them blithely stepping out into the comfortable Appleoosan evening.

Comments ( 8 )

silver folks. silver forks.

For the love of Luna, I hope you'll be avoiding this accent for a while. I need to recharge my accent fixing batteries, they've been drained for far too long.

Anyway, yay for a new beginning. I'm sure it was easy for Balance Beam to get them the house, it's hard to stay or sell a house in a town where everyone hates you.

This was a fun trip that led me down memory lane, to a time when I heard these songs regularly without ever knowing their names.

3260538

Not quite. It just won't be central. I still have some stories with AJ in them.

Glad you enjoyed this little series of mine. I wanted more buffalo love.

3290987

AJ I can fix a little easier. Very loosely established side characters are a lot harder to nail it down.

This was a good story, very heartwarming. Glad I picked it out to read. :twilightsmile:

3906935

It got deep into his coat while... well, you know what they were doing.

And I'm glad you like the story.

Absolutely loved this story! Fantastic! And I love Garth Brooks, too.

“Now, to the matter at hoof...” Square said, settling back down. “Given the evidence I have seen with my own eyes, and heard with my own ears I must conclude that this may be true and accurate information. Miss Cordelia you know that such bigoted opinions are sharply contrary to the way of Equestrian society. Alienation of affection is natural in such circumstances.”

Especially in the future Twilight already open to All Creatures dragons Griffins hippogryphs changelings Yaks Buffalo's kirins Diamond Dogs cat people to live among Equestria

Well this was pretty sweet so its looks like the court is now in session so they're going through the divorce telling their stories why they should they separated and of course both of them don't love each other and because Cordelia basically used him just for the fame and recognition not only that physically and emotionally abused him even though the Silver Star was no better either because he was still married to her that is still cheating but that was the only reason why because not only she was physically abused him but she say a lot of racist comments to other creatures and ponys which that is not cool but it looks like everything turned out pretty well because now he living with Cactus blossom and now expecting kids soon and despite all the heartaches and everything he was happy where he is now this was a pretty good story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment