• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 916 Views, 46 Comments

The Chase - Gabriel LaVedier



Sheriff Silverstar and his affair with Cactus Blossom comes to a head.

  • ...
4
 46
 916

Learning to Live Again

Silverstar stirred lightly in his sleep, dreams of every kind of life he could have had turning into a swirling mish-mash of a reasonable Cordelia and a Cactus Blossom that had been his wife all along. Everything faded eventually, as sunlight slanted across his face and he groaned loudly while pulling himself up onto his side. His body was not happy with him, having grown used to the soft, large expanse of his shared bed at home.

He slowly rose from the pile of blankets he had placed behind his desk at the Sheriff's Office, with the lumpy spare pillow he had managed to find. He didn't feel like doing anything, with that stiffness that had crept down into his bones. However, he was no shirker and would not tolerate a dirty workspace. He had done the bed-making and other such things at the house, of course. Cordelia would never deign to do such a thing.

After the makeshift bed was put away he began the process of cleaning himself up as best he could managed in the office. The shower was passable though he didn't have time to boil the water, leaving him scrubbing up under a frigid stream. He tended to his facial hair with the same cold water, trimming the hair around his mustache and waxing it up as best he could.

He didn't look a mess, but he was not his usual put-together self. His eyes were bagged and red, he still had a few of the bandages and he was stiff from the bad bed and his bruises. His pride moved him out the door and to his rounds, or at least a short walk around the center of town, with his proper head-high dignity, however he may have looked. The nods and smiles were the same mix of genuine friendliness and uncomfortable understanding. It was far more uncomfortable for him, however. He knew what they could not suspect. He was starting over from nothing.

He had thought of that the other day, but the reality was aching in his joints and the memory of a shivering-cold shower. He'd have to get along as a single stallion, something that he hadn't had to to manage for many a year. Certainly, he had been out of love with Cordelia for a good portion of that time, a distant, virtual stranger, not sharing in her views. He had never had to worry about being alone at night, even if the company was not what he wanted, he had not needed to think about any of the things that single stallions had to.

To consider it, he was not a single stallion. He was Cactus' one-and-only. But he was a single stallion. He was honest in his intention to divorce Cordelia, and the whole town would have to know. He would need to tell the whole population, because of their prominence and the gravity of the rare legal activity. His adulterous activity would cover Cactus with a pall of shame and impropriety if he made any move towards her before he was legally severed.

It would be best for all if he made an announcement as soon as possible, in the newspaper and in public, to cover all the possible ways of stating it. Cordelia could respond or she could not. That was her right. He was fairly certain she would not. She would not want any more attention on herself than she already would have.

As Silverstar stepped back towards the of the front door of the station after a quick round of the town he was confronted by a large buffalo bull wearing an Equestrian Postal Service cap. The brownish fellow was smiling brightly and had several sacks slung over his back. “Sheriff! Just the stallion I was looking for. I have some stuff for you. Your wife had this stuff shipped from your house over to the Salt Block of all places. I have no idea why she thought you would be there but Morton sent me here. I need a signature.” The smiling bull pulled a clipboard from his shaggy coat and handed over a graphite stick with bite guard.

“Ah know perfectly well why she sent it out there...” Silverstar grumbled. He signed the paper and passed stick and clipboard back. He let a smile spread across his face, not wanting his foul mood to affect the other fellow. “Thanks. Ah... guess she weren't none too happy ta see ya trottin' up ta make the delivery.”

“She was oddly surprised,” the bull confessed, scratching the side of his neck after putting away his clipboard and graphite stick. “I told her they sent me because of the amount to be delivered. She didn't even tip me! Even after I promised a rush job.”

“That's mah Cordelia, fer now...” Silverstar muttered. He shook his head and reached into his bit pouch, pulling out a few coins and passing them off. “There ya go. Thanks fer yer hard work.”

“No trouble at all, Sheriff!” The bull said cheerfully, hiding the coins away in his fur and carefully unloading the sacks onto the porch of the station. “Wish I could stay but I might be needed for more runs at the post office.”

“No, no, ah understand completely. Thanks fer deliverin' this, yer doin' a good job,” Silverstar said, slowly hauling the packed bags through the front door.

“Not a problem Sheriff. Have a good day!” The buffalo gave a smile and stampeded away towards the post office.

“Gonna be a long day. Good's still in the air,” Silverstar muttered as he opened one of the bags up and found it packed with wrinkled clothes and crushed hats. “Ya always got a way ta show yer Pericarp will, don't ya, Cordelia? Never say a word but ya always get heard loud and clear...”

It took Silverstar around an hour to drag in the bags, open them all up and sort things out. He put his wrinkled clothes in appropriate piles, pushed his hats back into some semblance of shape and set them aside, and put the small collection of miscellaneous personal effects like toiletries in inconspicuous places, to make it less obvious that he was living in the station. It was a galling next phase to his day, after an already-inauspicious waking. He held out few prospects for reaching that 'good' day.

He hid his clothes, spare hats and other items as best he could, in case anyone stopped by the station for whatever reasons. His day was delayed, by a good amount. He hadn't even had a good cup of coffee, never mind breakfast. The one thing Cordelia could manage and did not see as 'beneath' her was cook and make coffee and tea. She considered it an art, and enjoyed showing off. It was always good for him, providing a varied and delicious experience.

As though adding insult to injury Silverstar's stomach gave a rumble and he quickly looked down with a scowl. “Ah didn't ask fer yer input, ya traitor!” After giving his midsection a light thump he set off again, turning his hooves towards the Salt Block.

“Mornin'! Welcome ta... oh, Sheriff...” Morton's face fell from his usual bartender smile to a more serious look. “You look good. Guess Cactus patched things up right.”

“As ah expected, Morton. That cow's got magic hooves when it comes ta healin' a hurtin' pony,” Silverstar said, sauntering to the bar and resting against it.

“Certainly seems to be the case,” Morton said significantly, before lightening his tone. “What can ah do fer ya, Sheriff? Ah ain't got mah stock up an' set yet...”

“If'n ya can spare a cup of coffee an' some vittles that'll be fine. Ah, uh, didn't have the luxury-a havin' Cordelia's breakfast like ah normally do,” Silverstar said, shyly rubbing the back of his neck.

“Ain't got much but it's yers. Only neighborly,” Morton said, reaching down behind the bar to pour out the last of a pot of coffee into a cup, adding a few cubes of sugar before hoofing it off. He also passed along a small plate of coarse bread and a side of timothy hay. “Sorry it ain't much.”

“More'n ah had before ya offered,” Silverstar noted, setting to eating, unashamed of his hunger and eagerness.

“I gladly would have prepared you a meal, had you asked,” Cactus said, from the far part of the bar, having just come down the stairs. “I know your likes in the morning. And... it would have been only proper and kind.”

“Didn't wanna impose, darlin'. And...” Silverstar took a long, slow sip of the lukewarm coffee while he considered his words, “Ah... ah think it's fer the best if... ah didn't see ya after today.”

Cactus didn't visibly react, standing stock still as if completely paralyzed. “I... will not say that I understand. But you have your reason, I am sure. I want you to be happy...”

“Ain't gonna make me happy. It's gonna eat mah guts out like a Windigo and if ah smile it won't last fer long. But it's what ah gotta do,” Silverstar said, solemnly, sipping his coffee again. “Gonna put the word out. Message in the paper, call out in town square, get the papers all legal and notarized an' all that. Until that circuit judge gets here ah gotta make it look right. Ah'm a single stallion, an' that's gotta be all ah am. Can't be seen with ya. Ah'd ruin yer reputation. An' ah'd never do that to ya. Ah promise.”

“I thank you, most sincerely,” Cactus said, a sad smile crossing her face. “I know you think you owe me much for comforting your hurts. Perhaps you have some debt, but I will never hold you to such a painful cost. I will accept the whispers of others. I am proud of my love for you and the closeness we share.”

“Ya surely know jes what ta say...” Silverstar sighed, smiling lovingly. “But please let me do this. Ah want ya ta have an easy life. It won't be long. Once it all comes off we can be together. We can be more'n together, and that's what ah'm aimin' fer.”

“So... I will accept this. But know that I will be just as sad as you. Then will I see you in the audience?” Cactus asked hopefully.

“Can't very well leave out any of mah routine. Ah'll be here, darlin'. Promise,” Silverstar said with a smile and nod.

Cactus nodded her head and daintily trotted her way towards the stage, to prepare and rehearse as she usually did. “Thank you. I look forward to seeing you.”

Silverstar returned to eating and thought back on the kindly bull wishing him a good day. It had taken a bit but he had made it there.

- - -

After his simple but surprisingly spirits-lightening breakfast Silverstar felt a bit more confident about his day's activities. He made his way into the office that housed the local paper, the Appleoosa Bell-Telegraph. The circulation was modest but at least they had all the local households, as well as some regular readers in the buffalo lands. Despite being a rural paper they did all they could to keep up with news from the other parts of Equestria, making them a most important fount of information.

The office felt a bit cramped, packed into a standard storefront as it was and having to do so while also containing the printing press and supplies of paper and ink. There was already the steady click of typewriters going as the few reporters got their leads ready or looked over the thamatoelectric teletype for interesting bits of news. The editor was First Edition, a portly gray unicorn fellow with a striking blue mane and a deep, large smile that always creased his fat face and made him look all the more friendly and approachable. He stood behind the front counter, ever the hooves-on type. “Sheriff! Good morning to ya!”

“It finally is at that, First. How have ya been? How's yer wife and young'uns doin'?” Silverstar asked, trotting up to the counter.

“Oh fine, fine. Evening still loves it here and is so glad we left Manehattan. The kids are doing well; I think that my little Honeysuckle is getting a bit sweet on Topaz down at the mine. What can I do for you today, Sheriff? Here to renew for another year?”

“Ain't such a bad idea to add a delivery to the station...” Silverstar mused, lightly jangling his bit pouch before he shook his head. “Nah, it ain't that, First. Ah've got... somethin' big fer the society page. It ain't too pretty but it's the truth.”

“A big story on the society page? I can only imagine. Are some fancy folk coming into town? Important ponies or others? Perhaps a visit from some of Cordelia's kin or county-folk? That would be... wonderful...” First's huge smile couldn't hide the dripping disdain in his voice.

“It ain't nothin' like that, but it's all 'bout Cordelia all the same. Ah know ya noticed all this bandagin' and such. Ya heard the rumors. It ain't a lie. She threw me out. So now ah'm makin' the announcement. Ah'm gonna...” The words, even though they were by his will, stuck for a moment in Silverstar's throat, “Gonna divorce Cordelia.”

The clattering of typewriters keys halted abruptly, as every reporter turned to look, to see if they had heard right. First was looking somewhat surprised but not entirely shocked. “I must say that is a very rare and serious decision. But seeing you, and hearing what I heard... I can't say that I think it's wrong. Do you have any more... particular statements you'd like to make for inclusion in the paper?”

“Nah... it's hard enough jes doin' this. Get the word out there, make sure folks know it. That'll be enough...” Silverstar said, turning to leave the office.

“Of course, of course. It should be out in the evening run. I'll run it again for the morning paper as well. Uh, good day, Sheriff...” After Silverstar had left First turned to his reporters and barked out, “You heard him! Somepony get on that! Find a stock photo where he looks good, I want big type. Make it clear that this is serious. He's been good to us, let's give this the attention it deserves!”

While First was moving his staff to work on the big announcement, Silverstar was about to go do his own bit of announcing on the very same subject. It wasn't strictly necessary, but he knew some folks just plain skipped the society page, despite it being the heart of the community.

His presence attracted a lot of eyes, as well as a few soft whispers. He stopped in the center of town, by the mayor's office where he had once made a memorable stand during the ridiculous war of the pies. His tongue peeked out, licking his chapped lips and taking away a bit to much gritty dust for his liking. He could have used a drink but he couldn't stop. “Friends... ah've got... an announcement ta make. It ain't usual, and it ain't purty, but ah've gotta get it out.”

He licked his lips again, now finding all eyes on him, and folks emerging from buildings in order to see what it was all about. He was no great orator but he was at least comfortable with attention. “Ya seen how ah've been goin' 'round,” Silverstar continued, casting his eyes across the gathered, “Battered up, lookin' miserable. It ain't worth relatin' the whys an' wherefores... but this is the heart of. Ah'm aiming on... divorcin' Cordelia.”

Silverstar couldn't speak for a moment. The direct announcement had created a bit of a hubbub, ponies and buffalo and the odd Diamond Dog talking animatedly and occasionally pointing either at him or towards his home. “Settle down, this ain't over,” Silverstar said, motioning for quiet. “Ah gotta go draw up the papers an' such, and ah gotta wait for the circuit judge ta come in here but... well, ah ain't livin' with Cordelia anymore. Now that's all ah gotta say. Thank ya kindly.”

The conversations resumed as soon as Silverstar closed his statement, with a bit more volume and a few folks openly talking about scolding the mentioned mare and removing her from social events. Two of the figured in the town did not need to talk. Clarion Gale-Bell look at her husband, Howling, and motioned her dark-lavender-maned head towards the retreating Sheriff. The huge buffalo nodded in understanding before they both set off in almost the opposite direction.

- - -

Silverstar had skipped lunch. His stomach had been satisfied by the meager meal warmly shared by Morton, and even if it hadn't been it ended up too full of knots and butterflies to hold any lunch anyhow. His guts had twisted and the flapping moved in when he stepped into the office of Balance Beam, the town lawyer. The place only needed one and she fit the bill.

She was an older mare, on the edge of elderly, another transplant, from Canterlot of all places. She wasn't retired but relished the relaxation that came of a town not often in need of legal services. She was a pegasus with a soft fawn coat and graying roan mane, and a rather cheerful disposition most of the time.

She had been grim and serious during the talk of divorce. She got the information, and dutifully crafted a document to Silverstar's liking. She had tried to float many things, including heavy alimony, but that had been turned down. Her good nature made her capitulate and she drafted the document as requested.

She promised it would be served to Cordelia with all due speed, well before the judge arrived. She had just let Silverstar walk out, with his belly of knots and butterflies, while trying to say comforting, encouraging things but finding her usual stock of words oddly absent.

Silverstar retired in mid-afternoon to the station. Patroling around would be useless. He'd be hounded by questions and crowded by well-meaning folks trying to get more information or angling to offer advice and comfort. He mostly wanted to sit at his desk and relax, try to pretend things were normal, even if they weren't.

He had just started in on a game of Solitaire when the office door opened slowly, perhaps cautiously. One dusty-orange hoof tapped on the door as Clarion Gale-Bell stepped in. “Knock-knock! I do hope I am not disturbing you, Sheriff,” the unicorn asked. She was followed in by her buffalo husband, who looked a little sheepish but otherwise normal.

“Ain't much to disturb, Missus Gale-Bell. It's another fine and quiet night out here in our town. Ah was jes... doin' a bit of recreatin' ta pass the time. Ah might consider another lil walk around town but then, ah might not,” Silverstar said, self-consciously hiding the cards, as though ashamed of his idleness.

“So I see. As long as you're keeping yourself busy, Sheriff,” Clarion said with a soothing voice and a warm smile. She lightly nudged a hoof against Howling, motioning to the sheriff with her horn.

Howling nodded and put on a large smile. “Say, Sheriff... I know you're probably kind of busy but, you know, Clari and I would just love to have you out for dinner. Our treat. Just to thank you for always doing such a good job.”

“Well now, ain't you the nicest couple-a folks in Appleoosa?” Silverstar said with a smile and a cheery tone. He slumped a moment later thinking of his situation. “Ah'm not rightly sure if ah can make it or not...”

“Sheriff, I will speak with frankness, as I often do,” Clarion said, trying to maintain her gentle and comforting tone while also looking very serious, “We don't want you moping around in your office. We heard the announcement and, well, we thought it would be good to take you out to ease your mind and keep your spirits high.”

“We have a sitter again, we have reservations for three, and we just want to be nice, Sheriff,” Howling noted.

Silverstar tapped a hoof on his desk, considering the generous offer. “Ya know... ah'll take that offer ah suppose. Long as y'all don't mind some wrinkled clothes. Ain't exactly got an ironing board here.”

“Anything you wear will be perfectly acceptable, Sheriff,” Calion responded, with a bright smile. “Come on, Howl. Let's let him get ready.”

“'Bout what time should ah be there? Few minutes? Half hour?” Silverstar asked.

“Reservations are at eight, but you can be a little late,” Clarion called back before she and howling left the building.

Silverstar thought about it. Eight. That was getting on in the evening. He had promised to watch Cactus. He couldn't cancel, it would be impolite, and he didn't want to barge into the Salt Block to converse. It would set folks to talking. He was a bit stuck.

- - -

Despite his misgivings, Silverstar dressed in a nice, if wrinkled, white shirt and black jacket, waxed his mustache again and set off for the restaurant at around the appointed time. He arrived slightly after eight, gave his name at the front and was happily escorted to a table with the Gale-Bells. “Well now, here ah am.”

“Punctual. You're a good stallion, Sheriff. I don't know if we folks around here tell you enough,” Gale said, smiling warmly across at Silverstar. She could see he was trying so hard, with his unprepared attire and plastic smile.

“You've always been good to the tribal folks, and that's what really makes a good guy,” Howling added, nodding his huge head to indicate the case was closed.

Silverstar gave a deep, sincere chuckle at the two declarations and nervously ran a hoof along his mane. “Thank ya both kindly. It's good ta know ah'm bein' the kinda stallion ah can respect. Sometimes ah'mmm jes not sure what ta think of mahself. Not with this... business...” Silverstar suddenly found the menu laying before him the most engrossing sight in the world.

Silence passed between the three while Howling and Clarion made motions, each trying to induce the other to speak and break the awkwardness. Clarion finally spoke, likewise looking to her menu. “We have not ordered, we were waiting for you. I think I should suggest something. Let us have a full dinner, multiple courses, let the evening take its time. It's not good to be alone, Sheriff. Not like this.”

He wasn't alone, not really. Not at all. But he was, however he wanted it to not be so. “It's mighty kind of ya ta take this much trouble but ah don't think ah oughta take up yer time and keep ya from yer young'uns. Ain't right ta make a sitter stay all hours on mah account. Ah ain't worth the trouble,” Silverstar demurred, looking to his hosts with a smile.

“It's no trouble. Like I said, you've been good to us. And while I have no idea what a divorce is like- ow!” Howling looked quickly at Clarion, who was glaring sharply at him. He rubbed his kicked leg and went on, “I know what being alone and hurt is like. Clari and I we... had that before she got out there and told everyone. So... we just want you to not have to go it alone.”

Such good, well-meaning folks. “Thank ya, both of ya. Yer certainly makin' me happy,” Silverstar said. In the back of his mind, though, he knew he had somewhere else to be, a very important somewhere else. She could be on stage at that moment and he was missing her. But he couldn't just leave.

Clarion motioned to a waiter, to trotted up smartly and levitated a pad and pencil. “Tell the kitchen we will need to be served in courses. Now we will open with the squash soup, and the fried grits as an appetizer.”

Over at the Salt block the evening was going as it usually did. Drinking, salting, a bit of gambling and some attempts at making a love connection, all happening under Morton's grim and watchful eye. For entertainment there were the usual well-dressed dancers as well as live piano music. Cactus was supposed to sing, but she hadn't, even when accidentally announced.

“Cactus... ya said you would be singing, and these folks have been waiting all night,” Morton said to Cactus after she missed another opportunity to sing. “Yer putting some strain on the gals.”

“I am very sorry, Morton sir, but I... I cannot bring myself to... not until Silverstar is here. He promised me he would come, and he would not lie to me. He will be here.”

“I know him ta be a good stallion, that's fer sure...” Morton said, head slowly shaking as he sighed. “But it's gettin' late. One more go-round and then ah really, really would prefer it if ya got up and sang.”

“He will be here, he will,” Cactus insisted to a skeptical Morton. As he walked away she looked through the crowd and softly repeated, “He will...”

The hour grew later, and there was another cycle of dancing and solo piano playing. When the time came Morton gently motioned toward the stage. “Can't put it off no more. Please... ah know ya wanna wait but...”

“No, I understand. I will sing,” Cactus said, her eyes downcast. She slowly made her way onto the stage, to raucous cheers and applause. The piano pony picked a song, something soft and quiet that matched her low mood. As ever, her rich, moving voice filled the bar, silencing all the crowd.

A small amount of noise at the entrance drew her attention and her song caught in her throat for just a moment. He was there. Silverstar, wearing some fancy duds, was there with Clarion and Howling. The married couple were setting up at the bar, but Silverstar... he made his way through the sea of transfixed listeners and got as close as he could to her, looking up with adoration.

Cactus stopped singing and motioned towards the piano player, asking for a higher tempo. The stallion delivered and she broke out into a high and glorious song, a cheery tune of pure delight, happiness and love. It set the crowd to cheering and stomping. Even Howling hooted for her before Clarion gave him a withering look and he snuggled up tight against her side.

Silverstar never moved, and he didn't react. He just kept that same, wide, sincere smile on his face, looking lovingly at Cactus while she belted out her tune. Cactus looked down and kept her gaze there. No one seemed to notice or care she was ignoring them, that she was performing for an audience of one.