• Published 30th May 2013
  • 563 Views, 11 Comments

Equestria's Beginnings - Nightshade2012



Before Celestia and Luna, Equestria was a barren landscape. When two celestial beings descend from upon high, they bring with them two fillies that will bring Equestria to glory.

  • ...
 11
 563

7: Days Go By

“With the implementation of the royal guard in Equestria, things once again returned to peace, little ones. As you know, there hasn’t been war in our land for many, many years, nor any sort of tragedy I can think of.” The sun was starting to set beyond the northern mountains, bathing the valley below in a gentle glow.

“But miss,” a little purple pony said, coming forward on unsteady hooves. They were all still children, I thought to myself. So young and precious... “Miss, what about Nightmare Moon?” Ah, of course. Leave it to this particular little pony to remember that legend.

“Little pony, that’s a myth,” I said softly, smiling kindly at the young unicorn. “A scary story to get little ponies into bed, and a myth for Nightmare Night.” It pained me to say so. So much had happened in Equestria since its founding. So much... I had told the children the story, but they knew so little of what had happened. I had not mentioned the wars between the pony kinds in the early days, or the days of chaos when there had not been a pony princess but rather a tyrant who only sought his own amusement.

After all, children did not need to know so much sadness, not so young. I always prayed that they would never know the heartache I felt after watching my beloved country go through so much for so long to try and get its feet below it. I had struggled so much...

“That’s the end of my story for today, children,” I said, smiling as I rose to my hooves. The foals below me all whined, but I sent them off anyways. They would be back another day to hear another of my stories. I had a job to do. I walked through the quiet halls of my home, dipping my head to the guards as I passed.

“Good evening,” one of the older of my guards said, dipping his head to me.

“Good evening, Shadowed Dusk,” I murmured quietly. “Have you been well?”

“Well enough,” the old unicorn grunted. “I’m going to retire soon, I think. These old bones aren’t so good at movin’ quick anymore, you know.” I had to smile at that, nodding my head to him.

“Well, I’ve heard age does that to a pony,” I said softly. Hadn’t old Gray Dawn told me the same once? The first of my guard... I missed him so. My sister had been right bringing him and Lancel to the castle. Without them, I would not have my guard I had today. “I’m off to finish my duties for the day, Dusk. Have a nice night.” I left him and continued on, climbing to the highest tower in my home and out to the balcony at the top.

The sky was still darkening, but it was missing a key element. My horn glowed a soft yellow as I concentrated, digging deep within me like I had that first time I’d done this, finding that special thing and pulling. Slowly, the moon bathed Equestria with her gentle light. I looked up once I had risen it, tears in my eyes. The image of a mare was etched in the surface. Legend said that there was a mare trapped in the moon, and that one day she would use the stars to aid in her escape.

“The night shall last FOREVER!”

My tears rolled down my face as I gazed up at the glorious moon. Yes, Equestria had suffered, but it always prevailed, no matter what. I had gone through so much with Luna. How had I not realized the darkness in her heart? Night princess she might have been, but she had been such a happy foal. When had that changed? I knew, even if I didn’t want to admit it to myself. It was all my fault.

How many days had passed since I had used our parents’ gift to us against her? Six elements hidden deep under the castle built by our father... Luna and I had first harnessed them to take down Discord, the spirit of chaos, after risking life and limb to break back into our own castle. I had taken them up against my own beloved sister when rage had consumed her completely.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered to the moon, as I had done every night since I had sent her away. “I will find a way to fix this, sister. Equestria will know peace, and you with it.” The purple filly that came to hear my stories already had promise. Perhaps... If only she had some friends...

The days would continue on. I would continue on, for my sister’s sake. One day, I would apologize to her for what I had done to her. We would be together again, just like we had been at the beginning of it all.

In the beginning, when Equestria was a land with no sun or moon, day or night, Luna and I were together.

Author's Note:

Well.
This story was supposed to be like 4 or 5 chapters longer.
But life happened. It has a crappy way of ruining lots of things. Like my muse for this story. So I wrapped it up in a horrible fashion. -_- Whatever. I might write a new ponyfic soon. I might not. I need life to get its crap together.

Comments ( 1 )

You must be having a terrible case of Writer Block mate, I mean this was 800 words after a month of waiting, can you please speed up the story a bit? It's 4 likes 0 disslikes, which is pretty dam good for a first story.

Login or register to comment