• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 13,311 Views, 1,161 Comments

The Emerald Dragon - Onomonopia



A weapon of infinite power and unlimited potential falls into the claws of a certain dragon.

  • ...
38
 1,161
 13,311

Party Time

"RARITY!"

The white pony barely had time to brace herself as her five friends tackled her all at once and gripped her in a massive pony hug, crushing the life out of her as they all said how glad they were to see that she was back and unharmed. It took a few minutes for her to get them off of her and by that point she had almost suffocated.

"I'm glad to see that you're safe," Twilight said as she gave Rarity another, but much gentler hug.

"Glad to be back darling," Rarity said as she tried to get her breath back. "I missed all of you so much." The ponies that had come to the Cakes party also greeted Rarity again and stated how glad they were to have her back, but while they did this Rarity kept looking at Sweetie out if the corner of her eye.

"Well, we're at a party and now we have two reasons to celebrate," Pinkie began as she zipped around the store and placed party hats on all of the ponies there, opening up a can of confetti and throwing it everywhere. "So let's party!" The ponies all cheered and began to party again, Spike slipping out to go grab the twins from Zecora since it was a party for them. Once they were brought back and Spike explained to their parents why Zecora had taken them, the party really got going.

"Spikey!" Pound said to Spike as the he sat down next to the Cakes at the table, smiling at the little foals as they crawled across the table and over to him.

"Hi you two. Glad to see that you're safe," he said to them with a smile before they started to play with his fingers.

"Spikey, green dragon," Pumpkin said with a huge smile, Spike's eyes widening as she said this before a mound of cupcakes distracted the two foals and they used their powers to get over to the sweets. Spike made a note to talk to Zecora about what to do about them when Twilight walked over to him and sat in the chair beside him.

"So, you managed to break Rarity free and defeat Sombra once again," Twilight said with a smile as she and Spike watched the ponies of the town welcome Rarity back. "Not bad for a day that was supposed to start out with us getting trapped by a Lantern of fear and ended with us getting our friend back."

"I can't take the credit here, it was Sweetie who managed to break Rarity free of the spell and the orange power," Spike said as Sweetie kept trying to get Rarity to do some of the party games with her, but Rarity kept saying no with a look of shame on her face. "Then the three of us fought off Sombra. Speaking of which, I should probably go looking for him." Twilight nodded as Spike slipped out of the room, watching as Rarity looked at her sister before motioning her to join her outside.

"Sweetie, would you mind if we spoke for a moment?" Rarity asked her sister nervously, who agreed as she downed the rest of her punch, the both of them stepping outside.

"Thanks for getting us out of there, I didn't know how much longer I could handle that music," Sweetie said as she stuck out her tongue.

"Sweetie..." Rarity began before she threw herself over her sister’s shoulders and began to sob crazily. "I am so sorry for what I did! I'm a terrible older sister! I am! I am! I am!" Sweetie had no idea what to say as Rarity sobbed away, looking around with a look of embarrassment as she gently patted Rarity on her back.

"Rarity, do you have to have an episode in front of a building that has nearly everypony in town?" Sweetie whispered to her sister, who only looked down at Sweetie Belle with tears running down her face and ruining her makeup.

"But after everything I've doneeeee!" Rarity whined as she squeezed her sister again. "I attacked you and the others and even tried to kill you and Spike! Can you ever forgive me?!" Sweetie let out an impatient sigh as she pushed Rarity off of her, walking over to a bench and sitting down, motioning for Rarity to join her.

"Rarity, you don't need to ask for forgiveness because it wasn't your fault," Sweetie said sympathetically as she patted Rarity on the shoulder, Rarity resting her head against Sweetie as she still sniveled. "I've seen what the ring can do to ponies or aliens and I know that Sombra also had a hoof in what you did. It wasn't your fault."

"R-really?" Rarity asked Sweetie, who let out another frustrated sigh as she said yes, only to get pulled into a bone crunching hug. "Oh thank you Sweetie, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that. I'll make this up to you somehow, I promise I will."

"You...don't...have to," Sweetie said weakly as she tried to break free of Rarity's grasp. After a moment of struggling, Sweetie finally managed to break free, though she did have the blue ring put a small shield around her incase Rarity tried that again. "...I actually was wondering something though. Spike said that the orange ring will only seek out a pony that is greedy, yet you're the Element of Generosity, so why did it both to go after you when there are ponies like Sombra out there?" Rarity looked away from her sister, too ashamed to answer. "Rarity, please tell me."

"It was because of my...jealousy towards you," Rarity whispered weakly to Sweetie, who took a moment to process what she was saying.

"Huh?" Sweetie asked in confusion.

"My dreams showed me what you would become in the future, just how great and beautiful that you would become," Rarity said with shame and pain in her voice as she looked to her side to avoid looking at Sweetie Belle. "And I saw how the world would come to love you more than they could ever love me. And why wouldn't they, you're so talented. You can sing, act and direct, not to mention that you became a protector of Equestria. But instead of being happy for you like a good sister should, I let my jealousy get the best of me and wanted what you had. I was willing to fight my own sister just because of a dream. I'm trash." Rarity lowered her head into her arms and slowly began to cry again while Sweetie looked at her with both compassion and confusion in her eyes.

"Huh, never knew you felt that way about me," Sweetie said with a shrug as she lay back against the bench, pursing her lip as she looked up at the sky. "...Because that's kinda the way I feel about you." It was Rarity's turn to be surprised and she picked her head out of her arms to look at Sweetie, who gave her a weak smile.

"You...felt the same about me?" Rarity asked in confusion.

"Well...yeah," Sweetie said with a hint of shame. "I mean, you're Rarity, the most beautiful and talented pony in all of Ponyville and probably all of Equestria. Not to mention you're also an Element of Harmony. And I always felt that I was in your shadow, always to be judged or stacked up to my sister. That's why I was so happy when the ring chose me, because it gave me something special about myself. That's another reason I am so desperate to find my cutie mark, so I know what makes me different from you. So when you said that you, the prettiest pony in Equestria, was jealousy of me, it confused me a bit."

"Sweetie," Rarity said sadly before she pulled her sister into another hug despite the blue barrier. "I am so sorry if you ever felt like you were in my shadow and I apologize for never noticing or doing something about it...but I can promise you now that I will do everything in my power to help you find your cutie mark, no matter what job or request I have at the time."

"That's a nice offer Rarity, but you still need to make a living," Sweetie said with a smile as Rarity let go of her. "Besides, me and the other crusaders got this. And now that I have my ring, you can know that we'll be safe...for the most part. Now come on, enough of this sad talk, there's a party inside of that house and there's sweets that I could be eating, so let's go."

"Yes...I could use something positive right now," Rarity said with a sigh as she calmed herself, giving Sweetie another hug before turning to head back into the party. "And thank you for being honest with me Sweetie, now I know what I can do to be a better sister to you." Sweetie smiled at her sister and watched as she headed inside before she turned to look up at the Emerald Dragon, who had been floating above them.

"Thanks for waiting until we were finished talking," Sweetie said to Spike as he floated down beside her, Sweetie putting on her blue ring. "I take it that there's a problem?"

"Sombra's gone," Spike said, Sweetie's eyes widening before she let the blue energy shine off of her. "I checked the crater where my ring said he should have landed, but he wasn't there. The ring also couldn't pick up any signs of the yellow energy, but I don't know how he could have gotten away in the state he was in."

"Think he had a pony helping him besides Rarity?" Sweetie asked him, Spike shrugging in response before floating to the ground.

"There's no point going to look for him, once he's gone he's gone," Spike said with a sigh as he returned his suit to the ring, Sweetie frowning as she landed and did the same. "Well, might as well enjoy the party and the return of Rarity before the next crises comes to take over the world," Spike said with a sarcastic smile. "And I saw some gems in there that need to be introduced to my stomach." Sweetie rolled her eyes at this but followed him inside. The party continued on with greater force than before, the Cake twins seeming to have the time of their lives as they ate the snakes for them and opened their presents, thought to Twilight's frustration they seemed to enjoy the wrapping paper far more than they enjoyed their books.

"It's important for foals of their age to be properly educated!" she said to Spike once she had calmed down enough so that she could talk. "When I was there age I remember that my parents kept saying how they couldn't keep me out of the books in our house and how every time I went to the library I always tried to sneak some books out."

"And you wonder why the library refused to make you a member," Spike said with a smile as he ate away at his emerald mint cupcake, made for him by the Cakes. He had gotten the two foals a super bouncy ball, but after a few minutes of watching the Cake twins play with it he realized that he had unleashed a great evil for the Cakes parents. "But Sombra missing worries me. Because every time he goes missing, he comes back only stronger and with an even more evil plan."

"Yeah, we'll have to talk about what to do with Sombra a little later," Twilight said as Sweetie ran over to Spike, grabbing him by the claw and dragging him off to join the Crusaders in a game of dart throwing. "But for now just have some fun. Celestia knows that you've earned it. Speaking of Celestia, I should probably send her and Luna a message explaining what happened," Twilight muttered to herself before she saw her friends waving her over to play party games with them. "But I can do that later."

IOI

"...And that is all we know about Sombra for now, but I will send another letter when we find out more," Twilight finished, Spike placing the punctuation before he rolled the scroll up and blew magic fire onto it, brushing the soot off his hands as he watched the ashes vanish into the air. "Alright, now that that's out of the way, time to do a little research."

"A little," Spike said as he looked at the mountain of books that Twilight had placed on her table. "Actually you're right, that is a little for you."

"Thank you for your input Spike, it really helps," Twilight sarcastically teased back as she sat down and flipped open the first book while Spike walked to the pantry to get Owlicious's food for him. A day had passed since the part and while most of the ponies were in much better spirits with the return of Rarity, Spike was still worried about the fact that Sombra was still missing. He knew that the dark king would try something again, sooner or later, but what he didn't know was who he would target this time.

"Hoo," Owlicious asked Spike, seeming to read what was on Spike's mind as he floated off his perch and to Spike, taking to food right out of Spike's claw and looking up at the dragon with his wise eyes.

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it for the time being," Twilight said though it was evident to Spike that she was paying more attention to her work than his conversation. "Although I have to say I am so proud of you, form the way you handled Rarity being foal napped to helping Sweetie through this rough time."

"Heh, all in a day’s work," Spike said with a smile as he looked down at his ring, remembering that he had to charge it. While he went upstairs to do that, Owlicious hopped over to Twilight and hooted at her, but she only patted him on the head in response. He hooted again and when she didn't respond, he hopped onto her book so that she had to notice him.

"What? Do you need to go out? You know how to open the door," Twilight said as she tried to get back to reading, but Owlicious spread his wings and completely obstructed her view, causing her to sigh as she looked at him. "What is it?" Spike came down the stairs and started to arrange some of the books while Owlicious looked from Twilight to Spike and hooted. "Something about Spike, is that what you're trying to tell me?"

"Hoo," Owlicious said in a deadpan tone before he flapped his wings and flew over to a number of fliers and bulletins about all sorts of activities coming to Ponyville, grabbing one of them and flying back over to Twilight with it clutch in his beak. "Hoo Hoo."

"What's this?" Twilight asked as she picked up the flier and looked at it. "The comic store is having a half off day today? But why would I care about..." Twilight saw that look in Owlicious eyes and realized that the idea wasn't just for her, but for Spike as well. "You're right Owlicious, I need to be spending some more time with Spike, especially since...he's growing up." Twilight wiped away a small tear before walking over to Spike and showed him the flier, Spike yelling out in excitement as he and Twilight talked excitedly for a moment before both of them left the library, Owlicious being told to watch the place.

"Hoo," Owlicious said with a small smile before he flew back up to his perch in the shadows and closed his eyes, happy that Twilight and Spike were spending time together again.

"So what comic do you plan on getting this time Spike?" Twilight asked her young assistant as he ran around her with both arms up, getting her some interesting stares from the ponies. "Although I don't know why you would read these anymore considering that you are a hero now."

"Just because I'm a heroes doesn't mean that I can't enjoy other ponies tales," Spike said with a huge grin, Twilight sighing as she stuck out a wing to stop his circle around her. "And besides, they're having a sale! That means I can buy all the comics that you won't let me get with my tiny allowance."

"Your allowance is fine," Twilight said with a roll of her eyes. "In fact, I've talked to other foals and your allowance is actually better than most of theirs."

"Well, that's because you’re so nice and awesome," Spike said as the two of them reached the store, Spike squealing happily as he ran inside, Twilight rolling her eyes as she entered as well.

"Hello and welcome to...Oh, princess Twilight," the pony behind the counter said as he bowed to her, hitting his head on the desk and knocking the pens off of the counter. "I'm so sorry for that princess. Please, look around and tell me if you see anything you like. It's all free for you of course."

"There's no need for it to be free and Twilight's fine, thank you," Twilight said nicely before she joined Spike in browsing the shelves. She never understood why Spike was so into these considering how short they were and weren't exactly educational, especially since she had at least a dozen books that had characters similar to some of these heroes. 'And some of these heroes are weird to begin with. The Living Lightning Bolt? Steampunk Stallion? The Iron Mare? These sound like rejects for a kids show.'

"Here we are Twilight, these are all the ones I want," Spike said as he walked up next to her, balancing a ridiculously large number of comics in his small arms. "All twenty up to dater issues of the Power Ponies, including the spinoffs and annuals!"

"And you want to buy all of those? With you allowance?" Twilight asked him in disbelief as he nodded and walked up to the register, sighing to herself as she pulled out her wallet, knowing full well that he didn't have enough. After paying for the comics (Twilight having to pay three fourths of the full price) both she and Spike walked out of the store, Spike promising to re-arrange the library when they got back to the library for her in return for her paying.

"And I promise I won't complain," Spike grumbled as Twilight carried the bag back as well, promising Spike that he could read them once he was done with his chores.

"Good. Now I'm feeling a bit hungry, so what do you say we stop at that burger place I like so much?" Twilight asked him, Spike perking up when she said this and his stomach growled at that moment to confirm that he was hungry. "Good then, let's go." The two of them had taken about three steps total before screaming could be heard coming from down the street and both Twilight and Spike turned to see a number of Timberwolves running through the streets, causing ponies everywhere to scream and run for their lives. Twilight was just about to tell Spike to go home when a flash of green light went off to her side and the Emerald Dragon flew by her.

"Get to somewhere safe Twilight, I'll handle this!" Spike yelled as he flew by her, picking up one of the wolves with his ring and slamming him into two others while Twilight watched, a sad smile crossing her face as she watched Spike save the day.

'It wasn't that long ago that I would be the one telling you to get to safety while I went out to deal with the threat,' Twilight thought to herself as the Timberwolves began to fall to the power of the ring. 'And now here I am, watching you go off to save the day while I watch from the sidelines. You're growing up so fast that I'm afraid that I'll be left in past soon.' Twilight let out another sigh as she said this and sat down on a bench while Spike took care of the Timberwolves, pulling out Power Ponies number one and began to read while she waited for him to finish.

IOI

"GAH!" Sombra yelled as his eyes snapped open and he tried to sit up, only to find very strong vines holding him down to what looked like a bed. He quickly scanned the room with his panicked eyes, seeing a number of jars on one shelf and a giant cauldron in one of the corners of the room. A strange staff with a purple top rested against the wall, but his main focus was brought to the zebra that was looking at him from across the room.

"So you finally awake. I was not sure if you would in your state," she said with a nod as she looked down at the vial that she was holding. "It seems that this mixture works best, but I wasn't sure with you being its first test."

"Where am I? Who the hell are you?" Sombra asked as he tried to use his magic only to find that his horn had been wrapped in a strange metal that prevented him from using his magic. Then he realized that along with his horn not working his ring was also missing, where another quick scan around the room showed it resting inside of a jar on the table in a strange liquid. When he tried to get it to return to him though, he found that it didn't respond. "What did you do to me and my ring? Why bother saving my life?"

"Because I have compassion for all, even those who have had so far to fall," Zecora said with a shake of her head at Sombra.

"That still doesn't explain what you did to me," Sombra growled as he struggled against his bonds.

"Your powers have been negated by a metal called the anti-source," Zecora said. As she picked up the jar with the ring in it. "I did that for my safety of course. As for the ring, it has been suspended in time by brew, so there is little chance that it will return to you. So please do not try to escape or move, it would not feel too well after what you've been through."

"How the hell could you possible know how to negate my ring like that?" Sombra asked as Zecora walked over to him and struck a point in his neck, causing him to gasp once before passing out on the table. Zecora then shook her head at him as she walked to her closet and opened it, looking at the yellow ring with a shake of her head.

'These rings always seek out those who cause the most pain,' she said as she looked for a place in the closet for it. 'But why would they bother showing up here again?' she thought to herself as she placed the ring on her shelf and closed the closet door, leaving the yellow ring right next to another ring in the same kind of liquid, a ring of indigo.