• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 13,311 Views, 1,161 Comments

The Emerald Dragon - Onomonopia



A weapon of infinite power and unlimited potential falls into the claws of a certain dragon.

  • ...
38
 1,161
 13,311

The Will to Win

"Now this is the life," Sombra said to himself as he sat back on his throne, looking down at all the subjects who had come to bow before him and beg for his mercy. News had spread like wildfire during the past week that Sombra had not only overthrown the princesses, but also killed the Emerald Dragon in a battle that left the city in ruins. And once the ponies had heard this, they had they flocked from all over Equestria to give tribute and praise to their new king, afraid of what he would do to them if they tried to stand against him. The Royal Canterlot guard had learned the hard way what happens when they messed with him and the cleaners of the castle were still picking them off the ceiling. So with fear in their hearts of suffering the same fate, ponies from all over had come to pay respect to Sombra.

"Yes, I will spare your pathetic life, but only if you get out of my sight," he said to an older pair as his horn glowed, causing them to scream as they ran out of his throne room as fast as they could. "Now where was I? Right, comfy throne, total domination over all of my foes and the most powerful weapon in the known universe of my side," he said with a smile as he looked up at the ring. "Today is a good day. But some refreshments would make it even better! Oh maids!"

Sombra pulled on a pair of yellow chains as he said this, dragging out both Luna and Celestia who were in yellow maid’s outfits into the throne room. Sombra laughed at how they stupid looked in the maid outfits, but he laughed even harder at the looks of rage they gave him. But with the threat of death hanging over both them and their subjects, he knew that the princesses wouldn't try anything. And he made sure to take full advantage of that fact.

"Well you two took your sweet time," he said with a chuckle as they glared at him. "And I see that no matter how large I make you're outfit, it still doesn't fit. Now why do you think that is Celestia?"

"I have no idea," she whispered with venom in every word.

"It's because all you did was sit on your fat ass every day and stuffed your face full of cake," Sombra said. "You should be thanking me for taking your throne, because now you're actually working and burning off those calories. Oh, hey Luna." Luna seethed at his flippancy, but Celestia held out a hoof to stop her sister from trying anything. "Now then, I want lemonade, not too sweet and make sure to try and not poison it this time. Ruins the flavor." The two barely bent their knees to "bow" and turned in disgust to get him his drink while he looked down at the line of ponies waiting to see him.

"What's the matter, you all look terrified?" Sombra asked them, smiling when all of them averted their gazes to avoid his. "You look like you could use some encouragement to help pick yourselves up. How about princess Twilight comes out and tells you just what a great leader I am? Hell, let's bring em all out!" He pulled out another set of yellow chains as he said this and from another room came out the Elements of Harmony, all of whom looked to be in terrible shape and had black bags under their eyes. Twilight looked to be the worse out of all of them, with red eyes showing on her defeated face.

"What do you want now?" Rainbow asked, but there was none of her fire in her voice.

"Nothing much, just Twilight to tell these ponies that they have nothing to fear from me as long as they behave and act all nice," Sombra said.

"I'd rather die," Twilight responded, which only got a laugh at of Sombra.

"See how funny she is?" he asked the crowd of ponies. "She thinks that I would kill her first. No, I'd start with your friends and then work my way to you. It's much more fun that way."

"You're a monster," Twilight whispered.

"A monster with some kick-ass accessories," he reminded her as the ring flashed, causing the chain around Twilight's neck to pull her to the ground. "And don't any of you forget it. Now get your ugly faces out of my throne room or I might just hurl on the carpet again. And guess who has to pick that up?" he said with a wicked smile as Celestia and Luna entered again, carrying his drink. The ponies all bowed to him again as they left the throne room, two giant, constructed hands closing the door behind them as Sombra picked up his drink with his power and scanned it.

"And you didn't poison it? See, you can learn," he said as he kicked back on his throne of yellow and enjoyed his drink, the two princesses walking over to the Elements as they helped Twilight back up.

"How are all of you holding up?" Luna asked, but their eyes answered for her. There was still some fire in some of them, but she didn't need to look at Twilight to tell that she was suffering the worse out of all of them. Luna placed a wing over Twilight's shoulder as Celestia began to whisper.

"It doesn't matter what we try, his ring gives him the power to stop whatever we do," she whispered with a quick look at Sombra, who seemed blissfully ignorant of what they were saying. "I hate to say this, but we still need to go along with what he says. With the fillies in danger and no current way to stop him..."

"Are you all scheming over there?" Sombra asked with a smile at the group. "You're all so naïve at this. You scheme in the places where the pony you want to hurt can't see you and then when you're in front of them you use looks and signals to pass information. Geez, you're all so hopeless and boring. And speaking of boring, I could use some entertainment." He clapped his hooves as he said this and the chains pulled the CMC out, causing the Elements and the princesses to stop talking when they saw the fillies.

"What do ya want this time?" AB asked him.

"Do your crusading or whatever it's called, that always gets a laugh out of me," Sombra said, using his yellow ring to gather them some potion making supplies and a number of explosive. "Please don't hold back on my account. Go nuts." Applebloom and Scootaloo both sadly began to work, but Sweetie had a smile on her face as she began to work, something that wasn't lost on Sombra. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because you're not going to be on that throne for long," Sweetie said with an even bigger smile. Sombra narrowed his eyes at that remark and he floated off his throne and landed in front of her.

"What? Do you actually believe somepony is coming to save you?" Sombra asked with a chuckle of disbelief. "I have destroyed the only other being with power to match mine and all of the ponies in Equestria fear me! Nopony would dare to face me now."

"That's fine, but my hope isn't in a pony," Sweetie replied, causing Sombra to growl.

"Spike is dead," Sombra said. "I found the crater where I blasted him and there was nothing left of him, not even his ring. Why do you hold onto such false hope?!" The moment he said this, an explosion came from outside and all turned to see a column of green energy shooting into the sky. Sombra slowly turned to look back to Sweetie, who had the biggest, smuggest smile on her face.

"What were you saying?" Sombra barely had enough time to turn around and erect a barrier of yellow before a giant, green battering ram drove itself through the side of the castle wall and into his shield, sending Sombra flying through a wall and out of the throne room. All eyes turned towards the hole in the wall, where a single dragon in a green suit came floating in, fire blazing in his eyes.

"SPIKE!" Twilight called out in disbelief as the dragon floated over to them, giving them a quick smile before he materialized a jackhammer and used it to break their chains. He did the same for the CMC and princesses as well, lowering himself to the floor once everypony was free to be tackled by Twilight. "You're alive! You're alright!" she sobbed as she hugged him.

"I'm better than alright Twilight," he said as he showed them the ring, which was glowing with a power that they had never seen coming from it. "I'm a true Lantern now."

"What took you?" Sweetie asked with a smile. "It's been about a week. You're late."

"You knew I was alive?" Spike asked in disbelief, the other ponies faces telling him that they all thought he had been dead this past week.

"Nope. I just had hope," she said with another smile. Their reunion was cut short as the wall to the castle exploded and Sombra came sauntering it, rage on his face as he looked at the Emerald Dragon with a snarl.

"So, I see that I did fail to kill you last time we fought. Time to rectify that mistake." He created a giant wasp as he said this and had it fly towards Spike, but Spike smirked as he swatted the construct away with a fly swatter, crushing the wasp underneath of it. "Okay, have this!" This time he sent a barrage of snakes flying towards Spike, but once again the dragon countered his construct with a shield that he used to plow through the snakes, forcing Sombra to dive out of the way to avoid being crushed.

"You won't beat me this time Sombra," Spike said as he pointed the ring at Sombra. "I have overcome my fears." To prove his point, Spike sent tendrils of green that wrapped around Sombra's legs to hold him in place, allowing Spike to send him flying out of the castle when he followed up with a baseball bat to Sombra's jaw. "I need to go after him," Spike said to the ponies behind him.

"Good luck," Twilight said to him as he shot out of the castle, leaving the ponies to watch him go. "Will he be alright? Sombra already beat him once."

"He'll be fine Twilight," Sweetie said next to her with a smile. "Have some faith in him."

IOI

Sombra snarled as he caught himself in the air, amazed that the dragon had hit him so hard but even more amazed that the dragon had managed to survive the beating he had received at the hooves of Sombra.

'Little punk is tougher than I thought,' Sombra thought to himself as he turned to see Spike coming to a stop in the air in front of Sombra, crossing his arms as he glared at the pony. "I must say that I'm impressed that you managed to survive my yellow energy. Care to tell me, ring wielder to ring wielder, how you did it?"

"Simple. My will to fight is a lot stronger than yours," Spike replied before constructing a number of swords that he began to wing at Sombra, who weaved around them to avoid being hit. Sombra retaliated with a giant blade of his own that he swung towards Spike, who intercepted with another blade. Sombra smirked as Spike did this, knowing that fear had an advantage over will, but to his shock Spike's construct remained strong.

"How are you doing this?" Sombra asked as he fired bolts of fear at Spike, who caught them all in a giant net that he used to throw them back at Sombra. "My ring told me that fear will always be stronger than will! What are you doing different!?"

"Not much. I simply overcame my fears of not being chosen or of Twilight being disappointed in me by remembering that while I may not have been the first one chosen by the ring, I was still chosen," Spike said as spiked gloves formed on his fists and he began to swing them at Sombra, who growled as he created pillar after pillar of fear energy to try and stop the dragon, getting angrier each time Spike punched through them.

"Well it doesn't matter if you think you overcame your fears, because I know you're a liar," Sombra spat as he flew down into the town, planning on using the ponies there as shields to stop Spike it needed. He grabbed a number of civilians as he flew by, throwing them into the air behind him. "You still are afraid of Twilight hating you and you are still afraid of me, especially after a destroyed you in our last battle."

"You're right, I am afraid of you, but not for the reasons you think," Spike replied as he caught all of the thrown ponies in a number of huge catchers mits, dumping them all into a pond as he flew by it as he continued after Sombra. This time it was Spike who created the chains that brought his opponent down as he created green chains that wrapped around Sombra, slowing him to a halt as Spike dug his heels into the streets to stop the dark king. "I'm afraid of what you will do if I don't stop you, if somepony doesn't bring you down before you have the chance to hurt anypony. So trust me when I say I will stop you!"

"Impudent brat!" Sombra roared, but his words cost him a chance to deflect Spike's energy blast to his chest, sending Sombra skidding into the streets, where he got back to his hooves with a groan. He looked up just in time to see a giant green boot come stomping down on him. Spike lifted the boot and proceeded to crush Sombra two more times before Sombra escaped by drilling his way through the streets. He shot out behind Spike and fired a beam of yellow energy into his back, sending Spike through a building and crashing into a street lamp. "Do you really believe that you are a match for me?! I have had a thousand years to master my skills! What makes you think you can beat me?!"

"I already told you. Because I will," Spike said as he got to one knee, supporting himself on a fist to keep from falling over. Sombra saw this moment of weakness and charged at Spike, creating a giant axe over his head. Spike smirked at the predictability of the king as Sombra rushed towards him before a wall of emerald energy shot out of the ground under Sombra's hooves and sent him sailing into the air. Spike began some target practice as he fired multiple shots of energy at Sombra, who took them all head on. The dark king crashed into the street, where he struggled to get up from the pain.

"Now then, where were we?" Spike asked him as he floated down next to Sombra, who growled at the little dragon before trying to fire his energy at him. Spike was ready with a shield that he used to deflect the attack and crush Sombra underneath of it. "Your fear based attacks will no longer work on me. Just give it up."

"And who do you think you are to tell me, the KING of Equestria, to give up!?" Sombra spat back as he tried to escape. Spike smiled at his answer as he continued to apply the pressure.

"I'm the Emerald Dragon, the HERO of Equestria," Spike replied as he changed the shield into a clamp that clamped down on Sombra so that he couldn't escape. "And I believe that you have some ponies that you need to go answer to for your crimes." Spike took aim at the castle as he said this and flung Sombra with all of his might, sending the still trapped king flying into the castle wall. Sombra groaned as he struggled to get back up as Spike floated through the hole, smiling at the ponies who cheered when they saw him alive and well.

"What are you?" Sombra asked him as the ponies all began to surround him.

"Spike, Green Lantern of Frontier space," Spike replied. "Now then, take of the ring Sombra or I'll do it for you." Sombra lowered his head for a moment as he thought of his odds before he looked back up at Spike with defeated eyes.

"Alright Lantern, you can remove my ring," he began as he lowered his head, before it snapped back up with his eyes glowing with power. "OVER MY DEAD BODY!" Spike crossed his arms to protect himself from the blast of yellow energy that knocked him back outside, catching himself in the air to see a nightmare of a yellow pony come out of the castle, similar to his dragon form but instead made entirely of yellow. "I rule Equestria! I am stronger than all of the princesses combined! I won't be beaten by a single, baby dragon!"

"Wanna bet?" Spike asked before he closed his eyes and let the power of his will flow through his body, before they snapped open to reveal the same power that Sombra had used. A massive swarm of energy consumed him and through the energy formed the massive form of the Emerald Dragon, who shattered the green energy around him with a might roar. But unlike the previous version of the dragon, this one now had a symbol in the center of its chest. The symbol of the Green Lanterns.

"Die!" Sombra's construct roared as it charged at Spike, it's yellow teeth gleaming as it rushed the Emerald Dragon, who caught the construct by its horn and flung it over his head, watching as it crashing in the Canterlot Gardens. The construct got back up with a roar and began to shoot blast of yellow energy out of its mouth towards the dragon. The Emerald Dragon closed his wings around his body and gritted his teeth as the blasts hit his wings, but they held. He opened his wings and dive bombed the Yellow Stallion, driving his fist into its face and sending it back into the dirt. With a massive inhale, the Dragon let loose a torrent of green energy upon Sombra's construct, slowly chipping off parts of it.

"Do you yield?" The Dragon asked as it drove it's fist into the constructs face, cracking it slightly. The construct roared, but only received another punch to its face for its efforts. Then the Emerald Dragon lifted it's right hand into the air and a sword of the purest emerald energy appeared in it, which the Dragon then drove straight into the chest of the construct. The Yellow Stallion screamed as it was impaled, but it shattered the sword as it scrambled back to its hooves.

"YOU WILL BURN LIKE MY POWER!" the Yellow Stallion yelled as it channeled all of its power into its mouth.

"And should beware mine," the Emerald Dragon replied as it did the same. The Yellow Stallion let out a massive surge of energy towards the Dragon, who retaliated in kind with a torrent of green flames. The two attacks collided and for a brief moment, neither having the edge. But one wielders will to wing was stronger than the other, so in the blink of an eye the green flames had consumed the yellow ones and then consumed the Yellow Stallion, who howled in pain. The Emerald Dragon ceased the flame attack to see that the construct was no more and only Sombra lay beaten and burned on the ground in front of him. The Emerald Dragon nodded once before he threw his head back and let loose a roar of victory to the skies, a roar that echoed not only across Canterlot, but all across Equestria.

"And that is that," the Emerald Dragon said before a flash of green light went off, leaving Spike standing next to Sombra. He let out a groan and held his head, but smiled as he looked down at Sombra, knowing that he had won. "And you have some ponies that want to have a talk with you, oh great king. Let's go." He wrapped up Sombra in green energy and took to the air, flying back to the castle where the ponies were waiting for him, all of them hugging him once he had dropped Sombra to the ground.

"So, dark king, what do you plan to do now?" Luna said with a smirk as she kicked his broken body, getting a weak growl out of him.

"I say we did to him what he did to us," Celestia said with a wicked smile at Sombra, causing Luna to gag.

"Ugh, do not put that image in my head sister, I do not want to hurl," Luna said before covering her mouth.

"First things first, we should remove his ring," Twilight said, the others nodding in agreement as Spike walked over to Sombra, who looked up at him with beaten eyes.

"You may have won this round child, but you have not won the war," he said weakly. "I have something that you do not have."

"Oh really? And what is that?" Spike asked.

"An escape plan." As Sombra said this, a column of darkness shot out of the ground and engulfed the dark king while all of the ponies shielded their eyes. When the torrent of darkness came to an end, they all were shocked to see that Sombra had vanished, along with the ring he had been wearing.

"He always was a crafty one," Celestia said with a sigh as she looked over to Spike. "There is nothing I can say to you young dragon...young hero to show my gratitude for what you have done for us. You have saved us from a terrible fate and Equestria from a terrible ruler. If there is anything I can do to show you my gratitude." The other ponies all began to applaud for Spike, who rubbed the back of his head with a smile before he realized that the Yellow Lantern symbols were still all over the castle.

"I don't need a reward right now, but there is one last thing I need to do," Spike said with a smile as he shot out through one of the many holes in the wall and floated over the city. He then pointed the ring at the city and let it's light flow over it, replacing all of the yellow lantern images with those of the princesses and the Elements. And once all of that had been done Spike thrust his right hand into the sky, letting a giant image of the Green Lanterns, of the Emerald Dragon, float above the city where all could see it.

"I cannot believe he won," Luna said to Twilight next to her as she and all of the other ponies looked out the castle at the symbol in the sky. Twilight gave no answer, since no amount of words could tell how proud she was of Spike.

'But I can say this,' she thought as Spike waved at them. 'You truly are a hero Spike. More than worthy to be a Green Lantern.'