• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 13,311 Views, 1,161 Comments

The Emerald Dragon - Onomonopia



A weapon of infinite power and unlimited potential falls into the claws of a certain dragon.

  • ...
38
 1,161
 13,311

What I Want

Spike visited the Cakes the following morning and after Pinkie took them out of their home he secretly changed into the emerald Dragon behind a building and reappeared for the foals, who were more than delighted to see him.

"Oh sure, just this morning you wouldn't leave me alone for two minutes but he show up and you can't get far enough away from me," Pinkie said with a smile as the two foals literally fought with each other to try and get to Spike first, Spike creating a crib for Pinkie to place the both of them in. "Now all you have to do is keep them busy for an hour or so while I gather up the ponies and the supplies. Think you can manage it?"

"Pinkie, I have a weapon that can form whatever I want. I think I can handle two foals," Spike said with confidence before Pumpkin used her magic to fling dirt into his face, causing him to sigh as he rubbed it off his thin, green shield while the foals laughed. He waved goodbye to Pinkie before he floated up into the air with the foals still in the crib, heading off to the CMC clubhouse where Sweetie had agreed to help him look after the foals along with Zecora.

"Thanks for helping me with these two, I don't know if I could do it myself," he muttered to Zecora and Sweetie once he had landed outside of the clubhouse. "They both nearly fell out of the crib on the way here and Pound keeps trying to fly alongside of me whenever he got the chance."

"So they're problem foals, huh?" Sweetie asked with a smile as Spike lowered the two of them to the ground, almost immediately having to stop Pumpkin from floating off into the sky. "Sounds like the horror stories that I was told by Rarity about me as a foal."

"Thanks for helping as well Zecora," Spike said to her as he took off the suit, Zecora smiling as she began to hum a tune that almost seemed to hypnotize the two foals.

"It is no problem for me, I enjoy meeting little colts and fillies," she said with a smile as she stopped the tune, the foals snapping out of the trance and began to giggle at Zecora. "And since I have long been on the roam, I rarely get to see foals from ponies or from home." Spike frowned a bit as she began to whistle another tune for the foals, wondering why Zecora never talked about her past or what her home was like. He had heard from Twilight's studies that it was a mystical and mysterious place, but he had only heard Zecora talk about it in passing.

"Hey Zecora," Spike began as Pound and Pumpkin began to pull on Sweetie's hair, the filly trying and failing to fight them off. "How come you never talk about your home or your family? With all the skills you have, I would like to learn about how you learned them." Spike knew that he had stepped into a minefield from Zecora's reaction, as she looked off into the distance with a few tears beginning to form in her eyes. She shook it off after a moment and gave a Spike a kind, but now wary, smile.

"I have no home to talk about, not since I was kicked out," she said in a sad tone, Spike apologizing before she continued. "It was my fault, so do not blame my family. They did it for them and for me. I did something that they all now fear, so it is best I spend my years here." Spike didn't want to press the conversation any further so he and Zecora turned back to Sweetie, who was now being wrestled to the ground by the two foals, who were trying to get to her ring.

"We should probably stop that," Spike said as he used his ring to pick Pound up. "I don't want to think what would happen if they got their hooves on a Lantern ring." Zecora took Pumpkin off of Sweetie, who glared at the two foals as they stuck their tongues out at her. Zecora calmed the two of them down by singing some of the songs from her land, but Spike now understood why there was pain in her voice as she sung. He'd hate to think of what he'd feel like if Twilight kicked him out and poor Zecora had been gone from years according to her.

"Sweetie, have you been practicing your skills?" Zecora eventually asked the filly while Spike distracted the two foals by creating a green ball for them to play with, neither of them able to pop it, much to their frustration. "Or have you just been using the ring for a few thrills?"

"Hey, don't put me in the same category with Spike, I do actually practice," she replied with a smile, getting a "HEY" from Spike before Zecora nodded at her to continue. "I can even make constructs now, but for some reason they don't come out the way I want them to."

"That is because only the green rings create from their will, while yours with hope are instilled," Zecora explained. "Your constructs are not created by your mind or the raging fires, but instead come from your innermost desires." Sweetie thought about that for a minute before she realized that was probably why the construct she created looked like her older sister, because she hoped that she would be there for her if she needed her to.

"Thanks Zecora, that makes a bit more sense why my construct looked the way it did," Sweetie said with a smile before she looked at Zecora suspiciously. "Wait a minutes, how do you know some much about the blue ring? How did you know how to train me so well?" Zecora was saved from answering when Spike yelled as a yellow pony came flying towards them, both him and Sweetie suiting up as the yellow construct came to a stop in front of them.

"Sombra," Spike said with a growl as the construct resembled the pony that he hated.

"Hello Spike, good day Sweetie. Glad to see that the two of you are still alive...sorry, I'm lying again. I'd prefer if you were dead," The Sombra construct said with a smile. "But that will come a little later today, as I have the greatest news for the two of you."

"And that would be?" Sweetie asked, her presence causing the construct to begin to fade.

"Back up girl, you're messing with my power," Sombra growled, only speaking once again when Sweetie had backed up. "See, I have decided that coming to kill you is a foolish idea, so I decided to throw the two of you a party and I thought where else would be better besides Sugarcube Corners?"

"You didn't," Spike said with rage, Sombra chuckling at the look on his face.

"I did. And it was so nice that all of your friends here had already set up the decorations for me," Sombra said, the construct moving to reveal all of the ponies that had been invited to the party in yellow chains. "So here's the deal. The two of you come to fight me and I promise not to kill any of your friends until after I've killed the two of you...except maybe Rainbow Dash because she will not SHUT UP!" A blast could be heard in the background followed by a cry of pain, causing Spike to almost immediately agree to his terms.

"Is my sister there?" Sweetie asked.

"What do you think?" Sombra replied with a smile before looking at Zecora. "The hell are you?"

"Sombra, stop this I beg," she pleaded with him, causing him to raise an eyebrow. "There is still a chance you can be saved." Sombra rolled his eyes at her before the construct vanished, Spike and Sweetie both nodding at each other as they floated into the air while Zecora picked up the foals and placed them onto her back. "I will take them back to my place. If you are defeated, at least they will be safe."

"Thanks Zecora," Spike said as he and Sweetie flew off, leaving Zecora to quickly run back to the Everfree Forest, using her knowledge of the forest to take the quickest route there. She opened the door and placed both of the foals on her table before she gathered and hid anything they might be able to hurt themselves with. Then she looked over at her closet, questioning if she should.

'No. You swore never again,' she thought to herself. 'Only if they fail. Only then.'

IOI

"Please Rarity, this isn't you," Twilight pleaded with the orange clad Rarity, who was too busy looking through all of the Cakes gifts and pocketing them to care what Twilight was saying. All of the ponies that had shown up to attend the party were trapped within yellow spheres, the mane five being constrained to the ground by chains. "You are a generous pony who would never do this to her friends. Fight the control that Sombra has on you!"

"You're wasting your breath and my patience Twilight, your friend is gone," Sombra said to her as he rested up against the wall, waiting for Spike and Sweetie. "As if my magic wasn't enough, she is under the influence of the orange ring of greed. She's been completely taken over."

"Spike was taken over as well and he fought it," Fluttershy said, only to be silenced from a glare from Sombra.

"Spike had the Elements of Harmony to help him out that time," Sombra reminded them with a snarl. "But this time he has no advantage. I underestimated him twice and paid the price for it. But this time I have the hostages, the love of his life and I'm taking no chances. He will fall."

"I will do something." All ponies in the room cheered as Spike and Sweetie floated in through the entrance, Rarity growling at Sweetie Belle while Sombra smirked at Spike. "But you're probably not going to like it Sombra."

"You certainly took your sweet time getting here," Sombra said with a smirk, not at all intimidated by Spike. "Too busy playing with your fillyfriend there instead of coming to save the love of your life?" Rarity growled at the fillyfriend comment, but Spike and Sweetie said nothing in reply, opting instead to point their rings at Sombra and Rarity. "So then, we're just going straight into this?"

"Step outside and we'll show you," Sweetie replied, looking at the seething looking on her sisters face with as much calm as she could muster. Sombra and Rarity both followed the two outside, where the two pairs stared off at each other with narrowed eyes. "You promised that no pony would be hurt during the battle. Are you going to hold up that promise?"

"I don't break my word," Sombra said as if he was offended, before a smile crossed his face. "Unless it benefits me." Spike had heard enough and created a locomotive to crush Sombra, the dark pony barely having time to curse before the train slammed into his face, sending him rocketing over the house of Equestria, Spike flying after him as Sweetie and Rarity prepared to face off.

"I don't want to do this Rarity, I know that you're still in there," Sweetie said, trying to reach her sister. Rarity's response was to spit before letting out a primal scream as she hurled herself at her sister. Sweetie kept back the tears in her eyes as she fired a beam of blue into her sister’s chest, knocking Rarity back down. "Please Rarity, I know that you are stronger than Sombra! I know that you can fight what he did to you!"

"He gave me power!" Rarity screamed as she got back up. "But you take from me. And nopony takes from me!" She fired a beam of orange from her horn that Sweetie had to take to the skies to dodge, Rarity flying up after her as she sent orange colored felt to surround Sweetie, who shielded herself with blue energy in defense.

"What have I taken from you?!" Sweetie cried out in desperation, trying to find the cause of Rarity's pain. Rarity response was to scream at Sweetie and create a pair of sewing needles to try and stab her, Sweetie hoping up a shield that was in the shape of the Green Lantern symbol to deflect the attacks. "I want to help you! Why do you hate me so?"

"I don't hate, I want!" Rarity screamed as Sweetie wrapped her up in a blue cord of light, straining against her bonds while snarling at Sweetie. "I want your optimism! I want your power! I want what makes you special! I want your hope!" Sweetie lowered her head as Rarity's words struck her, what was making Rarity this way slowly coming to her. She looked at her sister with sadness in her eyes as she removed the cord from her sister, lowering herself to the ground, Rarity doing the same.

"Rarity...don't you get it yet?" Sweetie asked her sister, who responded by charging at her with a pair of giant orange scissor, Sweetie countering with a sewing machine that shattered the scissors. "Look at my constructs," Sweetie told her as she began to create as many constructs as she could, Rarity looking at all of them with greed in her eyes, but also a hint of confusion.

"They look like...the things you and I did together," Rarity said in confusion, looking at a number of outfits, the medal they got from the sisterhooves social and other items, before she shook her head and glared at Sweetie again. "No! You're trying to distract me! I will not let it happen!" Sweetie wanted to try to talk to her sister again, but then she saw a green blur go flying across the sky and slam into the side of a building before a beam of yellow pushed Spike through it.

"I'm sorry to do this Rarity, but I need to stop you," Sweetie said sadly as she pointed her horn at Rarity. Rarity yelled as she flung herself at Sweetie, who created a sphere to trap Rarity before hurling her across the sky. Rarity broke out of the sphere with an effort, only to take a beam of blue energy to the chest, sending her crashing into the ground once again as Sweetie created a cage around her. "Please Rarity, you have to break free! You have to realize what you are doing!"

"I am taking what I want," she said with a growl as she threw herself against the side of the cage, causing Sweetie to close her eyes as tears started to fall.

"Please Rarity, you have to see," Sweetie said desperately. Rarity threw herself against the cage again, only for the cage to shape a bit, changing from bars to an image of Rarity on the front page of a magazine, showing off her newest fashion trend.

"W-what is this?" she asked as she reached out to take it, only for the image to shape again to show Rarity with all of her friends, together having fun. Sweetie noticed as well what was going on, but she was just as confused as Rarity as to what was happening.

"Ring, what's going on?" Sweetie asked her ring as the cage had completely changed from a cage to the day Rarity and Sweetie participated in the Sisterhooves Social. Rarity reached out to grab the image, only for it to slip through her hooves. Rarity shrieked at this and tried to grab the images with her ring, but the constructs kept changing and moving to avoid being grabbed. "Why can't she grab them?"

'Because these are her deepest hopes and dreams made into light. Her true hopes,' the ring said as the blue constructs began to circle Rarity, who dropped to the ground and clasped her hooves to her head. 'And as you can see, even the orange ring combined with Sombra's magic is not enough to suppress her greatest hopes.' And then another construct appeared, but this one made Sweetie tear up as she saw it. It was an older Sweetie, but she was the star of Equestria and all ponies looked to her and loved her, while Rarity stood beside Sweetie with a hoof around her shoulder and a smile on her face. This image made Rarity forget all of the other ones and she slowly reached out for it, the greed in her eyes vanishing for a moment as she looked upon it 'And it seems what she hopes and longs for the most is for you to be happy.'

'She really cares that much? That her greatest hope is that I'm happy?' Sweetie thought to herself before smiling at her sister, who was still mesmerized by the image in front of her. "And now I know what to do." Sweetie canceled the image and walked over to her sister, who shook her head and slowly got back up to her hooves as she saw Sweetie approach.

"Give it to me," Rarity said weakly. "Give me back that feeling."

"I know what you want now," Sweetie said to Rarity with a smile as she wrapped her hooves around her sisters neck, the blue rings power beginning to fight against the orange ring. "But if what you truly want is for me to be happy, then you have to come back to me Rarity. I can't be that successful pony, I can't be happy, unless you're there to help me become that pony. I need you." Rarity looked at Sweetie for a moment before she gritted her teeth and closed her eyes, trying to think through the twin forces trying to control her. She then shakily brought up a hoof, a hoof that flickered between a regular one and one with a blade in it. The blade won out and Rarity brought it back, prepared to strike Sweetie in the back.

"Please. I want my sister back."

"And I want..." Rarity said as she brought the blade up, only to drop it as she wrapped her hooves around Sweetie's neck. "Is to be your sister again." Sweetie released her hug slightly so that she could look into Rarity's eyes, seeing that despite there still being some greed in there, her love for Sweetie was shining through the greed, Sombra's spell completely broken.

"You're back," Sweetie said to Rarity with tears falling down her face. "You broke free."

"No Sweetie," Rarity said as she pulled her sister back into the hug. "You broke me free." Sweetie and Rarity held the hug until an explosion went off behind them, causing the two sisters to let go of each other as they watched Spike doing his best to fend off Sombra.

"I need to go Rarity, he'll need my help," Sweetie said as she began to float away, but Rarity grabbed her hoof before she could fly off.

"Actually Sweetie, I want one last thing," Rarity said as she looked at Sweetie, the orange light back in her eyes. "I want Sombra to suffer." Spike growled as the cracks began to appear in his barrier as Sombra continued to barrage it with a sea of yellow energy, taunting Spike all the while.

"So Spike, it seems that we've reached the end of our little journey," Sombra yelled as he created a giant hammer to slam into Spike's shield, sending him crashing into the ground as the barrier splintered all around him. Spike groaned as he slowly got off of his back, looking up to see Sombra holding a drill at his throat. "I must admit that it will be boring around here without you. But only for a little while. Goodbye Spike."

"And goodbye Sombra!" Sombra turned just in time to get a blue crusader symbol to the face, sending him flying backwards as Sweetie landed besides Spike and helped him up.

"Thanks for the save Sweetie," Spike groaned as he shook his head. "But what happened to Rarity?" Sombra was wondering the same thing as he looked down at the two, only to sense somepony behind him and turned to see Rarity floating besides him, but a different look in her eyes.

"There you are, for a second I thought that your sister had beaten you," Sombra said as he turned back to Spike and Sweetie. "Now then, let's bring down those who have taken from you."

"Let's," Rarity agreed before letting loose a blast of orange right into Sombra's back, causing the dark pony to cry out in pain as he was blasted into the ground. He growled in pain as he pulled himself out of the crater he had made, looking up to see Sweetie, Spike and Rarity all standing beside each other and all of them glaring down at him.

"How?" he asked as he shot back, ring glowing as he tried to think of a way out of this. "How did you manage to break free?"

"By remembering that there's something I want more than what this ring can give," Rarity said as she pulled Sweetie into a hug. "I want to be with my sister again."

"Well good for you, you can both be together in Tarturus!" he yelled as he fired his energy at them, only for it to run into three barriers. He scowled as the three glared at him, pointing their rings at him.

"And we've all decided something else," Spike said as he flew forward, Sweetie and Rarity following him. "We want you gone!" Spike threw a green boxing glove at Sombra who dodged out of the way only to take a bolt of blue to the face. He staggered back as orange claws shot out of the ground and wrapped themselves around him. He broke free by shooting into the sky, only to have orange chains wrap around him. He struggled to get free as Rarity floated in front of him, giving him the scariest glare he had ever seen from her.

"So now what?" he asked her with a smile. "Are you going to finish me off like you said you were?"

"No," Rarity replied, a smile crossing her face as she looked past Sombra. "They are." Sombra slowly turned his head to look back at Spike and Sweetie, the latter having her hoof on Spike's shoulder, supercharging his ring to the point where the will was physically coming off of him. "Oh, this looks like it's going to hurt."

"Rarity, wait. We can make a deal," Sombra begged her, remembering what he had felt like the last time he had been hit by that kind of power. "I can give you anything you want. Power, wealth, just name it and it's yours!" Rarity placed her orange hoof under her chin for a second before she looked back at Sombra with a smile.

"No thanks darling. I don't want to." Rarity flew out of the way as Spike and Sweetie shot their combined blast at Sombra, who screamed in pain as he was once gain hurled out of Ponyville and off into the unknown by the power of the two rings. Rarity, Sweetie and Spike watched him go for a moment before Spike and Sweetie both flew over to Rarity, hugging her closely with huge smiles.

"I'm so glad you're back Rarity!" Spike said as they all lowered to the ground.

"I know. I didn't know how much longer I could have handled not having my big sister," Sweetie said with more tears in her eyes. Rarity looked at both of them for a moment before a smile crossed her face and she reached up to her horn, taking the ring off of it and throwing it to the side. When the two looked at her with a bit of confusion, she smiled and pulled them back into a hug.

"It's alright darlings, I don't need it. I have everything I could ever want right her," she said with a smile, the two smiling at her as they hugged her back. Rarity looked at the ring as it lay in the dirt before it slowly rose off of the ground and shot up into the sky, Rarity watching it go with a look of disgust before she turned her attention back to her friends. "Besides, orange does not suit me at all. Now let's go free our friends."

IOI

"There it is! I knew that it would be mine again!" Larfleeze yelled as the orange ring bumped into the windshield of the Interceptor, the Orange Lantern opening the ramp and flying outside to retrieve it as Hal and John shook their heads.

"With how greedy his is I'm surprised the ring left him in the first place," John said as he looked down at the planet that they had been floating over for a few days. "I still don't know why Ganthet wants us to watch over this planet. We normally don't get this involved in other Lantern's business."

"You heard what he said, he feels something off about this planet and he wants us on standby incase his feeling comes true," Hal said as he worked on the ships navigation. "And I've learned to trust Ganthet, even when it seems like it's nothing important." As if on cue, Hal's ring began to beep and the blue guardian himself was on the other line. "Hey Ganthet, what's up?"

'There's a disturbance in a section of space nearby that could use your help,' Ganthet said as he greeted the two Lanterns’. 'However, I want Lantern Stewart to do this alone. Lantern Jordan, I have another mission for you. I want you to go to earth and grab our friend Swamp Thing. I have a feeling we will need him.' Hal and John looked at each other nervously as Ganthet said this before Jordan took the controls of the ship and flew towards where Ganthet hand instructed.