Twilight's Library 4,833 members · 6,260 stories
Comments ( 131 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 131

I will probably use this next week

Friendship Goes Both Ways
Tags: [Slice of Life] [Alternate Universe]
Word Count: 11,526
Views: 932

Definately my favorite standalone oneshot. Trixie attempts her revenge in a way that I have yet to see in any other fic, while still retaining the suspention of disbelief. On a side note, although the twist may seem predictable, it is only because there are clues for any reader that pays attention to the details.

Teatime on Hearts And Hooves Day
Tags: Romance, Comedy
Words Count: 9702 (incomplete)
Number of Views: 3,901
Reasons why the fic should be featured:
- The interaction between Flash Sentry and Dewdrop is very well done. They're dating, but I get the sense that these are simply two flawed individuals getting along together. It's very genuine.
- The author makes Flash Sentry a relateable character. Even if he's still just a guard, he's got his own life he's living that belongs to him and feels more or less natural.

A story for you sir:
The Ancient Heart's First Beating
Tags: Sad
Word Count: 4,293
Number of Views: 776
- First, the author did an excellent job cleaning it up since the first submission. The text itself is very polished.
- The story is simple, but very powerful. Every element has a purpose and it all fits together at the end for an interesting bit of world-building that makes intrinsic sense.

Over a Cardboard Sea
Tags:Sad
Words: 3003
Views:121
Why?:
- Well crafted atmosphere
- Impressive description of the dreamscape
- Excellent proofing

Im glad at least someone cares. Ill add it to my list

Tick. Tock.
Tags: Slice of Life
Word Count: 1333
Number of Views: 232
- The narration's tone is very well done. The detached silliness is highly entertaining.
- I don't often see a common pony's view of the craziness that happens in Ponyville. There's a lot of good worldbuilding in such a small space.
- It's always nice to see Time Turner in a non-Doctor Who role.

That is... a very large thumb :twilightoops:

It's size expresses how much I appreciate you actually contributing

Followed the link from: Give Me All the Fanfics :twilightsmile:

True Love is Fictional
Tags: [Slice of Life]
Words Count: 5,996
Number of Views: 685
- I felt that Sweetie Belle's internal struggles were very genuine, and overall really well done.

In Her Majesty's Absence
Words Count: 10,744
Number of Views: 1,157
- The feels were strong with this story. Everyone was sympathetic even though they were at odds, and the situation was genuinely sad all around. It defiantly captured the tragedy of Luna's banishment.
- The OCs had decent personalities for the amount of screen time that they were given.
- Excellent visuals. Everything was described vividly without going overboard.

scoots2
Group Contributor

Name of Fanfic (with link included): The Rock Farmer's Daughters
Tags: Romance, AU (Pinkie Pie/Cheese Sandwich)
Words Count: 19,650
Number of Views: 408
Reasons why the fic should be featured: I've been waiting patiently, hoping that this fic would be accepted into Twilight's Library, just so I could recommend it for a feature. I think it's that good.
The AU of the premise is simple: Pinkie didn't see the Sonic Rainboom, didn't become the Element of Laughter, and is now a sober and slightly grouchy young mare working on her parents' rock farm. Cheese Sandwich, accordingly, couldn't be inspired by Pinkie, and is now simply a drifter who winds up working for Igneous Rock.

What makes this story work is the way in which the premise is extended. A Cheese without party pony abilities must still have some character traits that enable his survival. Pinkie, similarly, has her essential character well-buried under those rocks. The Pie family is well-thought out. I particularly enjoy it that Cloudy Quartz and Igneous Rock are portrayed with sympathy. The world-building is extended to the town nearest the rock farm, Nickerlite. The basic need for survival is never very far away. And for all the austere surroundings, there's a consistent vein of character-driven humor: it's still a story about Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich. In any case, I always enjoy the updates, and I hope you'll consider it: it deserves a bit more attention than it's gotten.

A Day With The Wonderbolts
Tags: [Comedy][Slice of Life]
Word Count: 12,247
Number of Views: 513
- The interactions between the Wonderbolts were spectacularly hilarious.
- I enjoyed that Dash was not given the frothing fangirl treatment at all, while still capturing her excitement at getting to be with them.
- Despite this being written in 2012, this is the best headcanon I've seen explaining why the Wonderbolts always come off so badly in the show.
- It is criminally underviewed

For a second there I thought I read this one. I was mistaken

I submitted this to the library after a comment from Mayhem that no one was helping him in this thread. When I saw that it had been accepted into the library I came here to recommend it. Imagine my surprise when you beat me to it.

Well when I find good stuff, I generally pop it in here before I hand out the ribbon so I can link my recommendation post in my ribbon post. Helps make sure everything is in order and all.

Out of the Bag
Tags:Romance, Slice of Life, AU
Word Count: 4,952
Number of Views: 311
- Excellent atmosphere and sensory details.
- The characters' voices come through very well. There are cats with no explanation whatsoever, but I can still clearly see our little ponies even before the names are given.
- 'Everykitty' and other silliness used naturally and with a fist-shakingly straight face. Well played, author. Well played :trixieshiftright:

Oh this one. I kind of figured it was going to be a good one

There are cats. What could possibly go wrong? :scootangel:

I'm kind of a crazy cat lover so this will probably be on the front page soon

It deserves it. One of the cleanest stories I've seen in awhile :twilightsmile:

Melody
Word Count: 1,711
Views: 217

Written as a sort of back story to a certain fan-made song, though I did not realize the connection until the last line. The story is very well written, but is made in such a way that the reader goes into it with barely an an inclination of what to expect. This, unfortunately, seems to be a turn off for many readers and so most don't give the story a chance.

The Nightmare Journal
Tags: [Tragedy][Dark][Slice of Life]
Word Count: 4211
Number of Views: 141
- The prose is clean and clear. Very shiny.
- The author does an excellent job spinning the dark into the subtext. It's one of those stories I'd love to watch someone read, just waiting for them to realize what's going on :pinkiecrazy:

God In-Laws
Tags: Romance, Slice of Life
Words Count: 7225
Number of Views: 200
Why the fic should be featured:
- I liked how this went deeper than your average shipping fic. It holds Twilight's familiar cheerful, mortal, reality against the harsh, mysterious supernatural forces that Celestia is tied to.
- Celestia was legitimately cast as a teenager bringing her lover to her parents' house without losing her inherent dignity as an alicorn princess.
- The author managed to make Celestia's parents familiar without sacrificing their foreignness. They were clearly eldrich, but I could see a little bit of character underneath to latch onto.
- And to top it off, it reads very cleanly.

This one will be this weeks feature

Cool!

Also, mind changing the 'words count' in your first post to 'word count' ? I keep having to correct it when I copy/paste the form.

The Most Beautiful Sound
Tags: Romance
Word Count: 9,647
Number of Views: 307
- The author takes the time to show the reader what each pony stands to gain from the relationship, which is something I don't often see in OctiScratch or shipping in general. There was something to get behind.
- The story itself was very genuine, from Vinyl's awkwardness to Octavia's admission that her audience was never into her personally.
- I'll admit that the author took the relationship a bit fast, but the way it is told never had me questioning the events taking place. The author also took time to let the characters acknowledge and sort this out. Definitely noteworthy storytelling.
- The story itself is written very cleanly with almost no grammatical errors.

A Morning Ritual
Tags: Tragedy, slice of life
Word Count: 3313
Number of Views: 1,099
- Although the majority of the story is a mundane morning routine, the author breathes meaning into every bit. The action never feels like a list, which is the big danger in stories without much dialog.
- Well crafted atmosphere: the general mood of each character is clearly conveyed in the tone of the narration.
- It's easy to write sit-com drama by making an arbitrarily big deal about small details, but the author managed to get me wishing Fancy would wear his slippers in under a paragraph without needing to state why it was a problem.
- Reads very cleanly with no proofing errors I could see.

So many good gems in this batch :raritystarry:

I know, right?

Also, thanks for the post edit :raritywink:

What The Heart Wants
Tags: [dark][slice of life]
Word Count: 6778
Number of Views: 234
- That first opening paragraph is probably one of the best reversal hooks I've seen in awhile.
- Octavia's situation has a snug internal logic to it that is very well done. Everything fits together in a sympathetic but terrifying conflict.
- Though the situation of finding out your roommate is an assassin is pure 'wat' from Vinyl's perspective, the author manages to keep the story convincing. The net result is not that the situation becomes absurd, but that we realize Vinyl has seen some serious shady dealings in her clubbing career and knows how to handle herself. Very well played.

3274715 You beat me to it again. Not that I mind.

The Silent Type
Word Count: 4171
Number of Views: 742
- Cleanly proofread
- Mac manages to have a full character conflict without uttering a word
- Daawwwwww, that ending

I know I've already said it but this current batch really has a lot of gems in it

It seems Mayhem's going through some stuff, so send him some hugs. In any case, he tapped me to make this week's feature post. In short, I agree with 2839890.

Whiteout
Tags: Comedy, Adventure, Human
Word Count: 23,901
Number of Views: 824
- The author has done an excellent job with his exposition in that we started in media res, it's an all-OC cast, I haven't noticed a single infodump or flashback, and yet I still feel like I have enough information to make sense of everything.
- Our OC leads are an entertaining duo. We don't have much to go on personality-wise, but the author wasted no time fleshing them out as they bounced off each other. I especially liked how the first thing Alek brings up is that Devon is only interacting with him so far as it is useful, so right off the bat the characters are demanding a human relationship with each other.
- Thriller plotting at its finest, here: the author is always throwing crap at our protagonists, never allowing them to forget their situation, but still finding time for character development. Every scene feels like it's doing something.

On 3217841 's suggestion, we'll be featuring The Rock Farmer's Daughters this week.

Rotten Apple
Word Count: 18,999
Number of Views: 413
- I liked that the story took the time to examine AB's theft from multiple angles. We find out not only what it means to AB, but Applejack and Pinkie as well. It makes the simple situation feel more complete.
- The portrayal of AB's guilt somehow goes all out without coming off as cartoonish, resulting in her inner turmoil grabbing the reader's gut as much as it does AB's.

I've been meaning to read that one for a long time because I like the author. I'll take a look at it in consideration for tomorrow :twilightsmile:

Your New Twin Sized Bed
Tags: Romance, SoL
Word Count: 3,671
Number of Views: 762
This story does a little bit of everything. We get some interesting worldbuilding via the pegasus chutes in Cloudsdale apartments. The description of Scoot's apartment had a lot of character to it. But most of all, I found that Scoots and Rumble make for very good conversation. It is mostly smalltalk and backstory, but for some reason I feel as though I could sit back and listen to their dialog for quite some time.

Yes I'd say this one is feature worthy

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 131