The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,394 stories
Comments ( 77 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 77

Greetings children, I’m irritated at my sticky keyboard. I ate a couple peaches and now everything is sticky. And I can’t do anything about it now because the “real world” calls for other things. On to the question!

What challenges would a human face living in Equestria?

Moving to a different place is hard. Moving to a different reality is theoretically impossible. Barring all the underdeveloped human OCs in Equestria stories, how difficult would it be for a human to live there. I’m not talking about a human living with the Mane 6, I’m talking about a human living in Baltimare because his company is opening a branch in another world and he chose the shortest straw.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4642229 Well, the key word in My Little Pony is 'little'. I suspect low ceilings would be an issue. As a tall guy, victim of many a bump on the head, I can relate.

Also: inb4 vegetarianism

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

Well, they would be much less cute than anyone else around. That's a pretty big problem right there.:fluttershysad:

As a tall guy, I can relate

Yeah, it's hard being 6'2" sometimes, believe me :ajsleepy:

Their diet first and foremost. Humans NEED protein to survive, even vegetarians/vegans have to take supplements in order to stay healthy. Isolation wouldn't be a problem because the ponies are anthromorphs, yes the canon show ponies are anthros and if you think otherwise you ether A. dont know the actual definition of anthropomorphism or B. have no idea what a real pony looks like.

What about diet? Leaving aside alien enzymes and reverse chirality, who's a guy gotta kill to get some meat? (I suspect, "realistically" speaking, that a company would send a vegetarian representative for the PR bonus.) And, speaking of short straws, how much hay and flowers are going to be in the meals?

I guess loneliness might be an issue - our poor company man might be the only human for hundreds of miles around. He could homesick pretty bad.

Or what about medical emergencies? There might not be a doctor about familiar with human physiology, especially if the guy really is the only human about.

Clothes could be an issue, although I suppose he could simply bring a stockpile or order them as needed. The furniture is going to be all wrong for sitting on.

Doorframes.

And the lack of bacon.

But considering your situation, at least the inability to return home isn't a concern. So really, much of the issues are just physical. It also depends on if they can get along with other ponies well.

I'm sure he can get some meat in the form of fish or something. The ponies seem to be okay with that.

So you'd rather be 5' 3"? Cause I wouldn't mind switching heights! Shortness is hard.

Main issue would be food. Unless there's a human supplement pill in Equestria, we're gonna have to kill some animals...

No internet. That would really suck. I'd miss my Youtube documentaries too much. :rainbowlaugh:

HapHazred
Group Admin

Just before everyone goes on and on and on about meat...

My parents are vegetarian. Some of my friends are vegan. Most humans can easily survive without meat.

Suck it up.

Absence of beer, on the other hand... not that is a thought that makes me shudder. All they have is cider. There is no sucking up an absence of ales.

Finding work. Finding food. Adjusting to a cleaner atmosphere. Finding clothes. Medical care. Adjusting to magic: what kind of effect would that have on a mundane creature?

Luminary
Group Contributor

People have mentioned size and diet.

There's lots of little things that would be a problem, in being the only one of your kind around. Chances are plumbing would not exactly be designed for you. One would hope that pony toilets are compatible and they don't use the three seashells.

All clothing would have to be custom and from an open or challenge-minded tailor.

It would be essentially impossible to get comfortable shoes. Shoe-making is an art and science that would not be easily picked up by a species without feet. A pony boot would have nothing in common with a human boot, in terms of fit or construction. And it's not just about making something that fits around your foot.

Hopefully ponies can be xenophiles, if you're around for a time.

It would also kinda suck being the one without magic in a magical society. :twilightoops:

4642272 Pretty much that yeah :applejackunsure:

4642286 No, not really. I much prefer being tall, so I can look down on everyone shorter than me! :pinkiecrazy:

HapHazred
Group Admin

4642337 It is pretty cool. No matter how cool other people can be, I can always look down my nose at them.

Literally.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Yeah. it's unlikely to be a problem. Ponies are absolutely not vegan. That would lead to problems with B12 for a human. They're ovo-lacto vegetarians. The eggs and milk, which ponies use, will happily keep a human going, that way.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4642364 Yup. The many joys of bakery. Eggs 'n cheese will work wonders. Assuming they're more or less the same eggs and same cheese.

Some humans are more strict about their diet than these ponies are.

I always imagined that, realistically, there'd be a language barrier in the way.

I think the bigges challenge they'd have to face would be accepting that these colored ponies talk and live like people. You know if a human ever came into Equestria they'd ruin it and make it a money making attraction

4642396 Yeah, they really sound like this:

It would be essentially impossible to get comfortable shoes.

It will be probably the hardest to obtain piece of clothing.
However, as a second choice, with a little trial and error, everyone with a bit of manual dexterity can came up with a pair of decent sandals, especially if tyres exist in Equestria, since they make for great soles.

4642427 Well, the greedy, all-I-care-about-is-money-so-screw-ethics people would. I know I wouldn't try making money off sentient beings, it's wrong.

4642548 I wouldn't either. But you know how people are. "Come and spend the weekend with colorful talking ponies, starting at only $2000!

"Come and spend the weekend with colorful talking ponies, starting at only $2000!

Cuddling costs extra

4642552 Or "Come see the Magical Pony Circus! Tickets starting at $100!" That would be worse. Or even WORSE, "Buy your very own magic pony! Starting at $1000!"

4642229 Hmm, diet's okay, you can see they get meat for people who need it - see Fluttershy and her ferrets. Loneliness isn't a problem unless you're a xenophobe. No, the biggest problem is...

~THE HIIIILLLS ARE ALIIIIIVE WITH THE SOUUUND OF MUUUUSIIIC!~

Forget living in a musical, seriously.

4642229 What challenges would a human face living in Equestria, obviously depends on how Equestria is made.
Those eggs, wheat, milk, carrots ecc... are really like our eggs, wheat, milk, carrots ecc...? Cause otherwise the human will die for starvation, malnutrition, or poisoning.

The functioning of our body depends on the functioning of a complex set of laws of physics. Are they valid in equestria? Otherwise the human will die cause his body isn't able to perform any more some fundamental biological function, as breathing for example.

What language ponies (and minotaurs, griffons, dragons, yaks, buffaloes, cows, ecc...) speak? We are probably more fortunate here, since is spoken by so many different species, it's probably non only a series of nitrites.

Ponies are friendly? Really, apart for some Princesses, and their friends when they are in good mood, they seems to act like a bunch of jerks. They seems to be easily gullible too, so the human wants to play it the hard way to be accepted, or prefers to start an easy career as a swindler?

4642229 Depends on how immune he is to the local pathogens

Staaaaaaaaaaay with me ♪♫

Maybe I will lose some weight thanks to that.

I think the biggest problem would be the lack of internet.
We all know that nowadays, people would start considering suicide if they went more than 30 minutes without internet.

:trixieshiftright: According to a huge number of terrible stories, the biggest challenge any human would face in Equestria would be sexual exhaustion.

4642435 That is annoyingly adorable, ignoring the fact you got the Mexicolt dubbed version instead of the standard Equestrian. You can tell the translators threw the script in google translate from the way Pinkie Pie conjugated her "Neighs". Amateurs.

That sounds like an interesting story.
Kind of an Equestria on the Hudson like story.

Considering that humans have all sorts of strange stories and such about ponies and unicorns.
Medieval folks thought that only a maiden could catch a unicorn.
Why would unicorns care about maiden human women?

What if ponies had stories about humans?
Kinda clever but not that smart.
Probably not as nice as a troll.

I actually mention Bulfinch's Mythology and the entry about humans in one of my stories.

Imagine showing up somewhere and the folks there think that you are a barely civilized creature.
Well, that happened to me when I went to Harvard, but the experience still rankles.

What might be really gross is that ponies put their mouths on doorknobs to open doors.

This brings up a cool idea for a HIE story.
There is this guy Adrian Monk, he was a homicide cop. His wife died under suspicious circumstances and he had a nervous breakdown.
So you have this guy who has OCD and a list of phobias that would drag on the floor. Milk is on his list, seriously milk. Oh yeah, he has a germ phobia too. He has his assistant hand him sanitary wipes when he shakes hands.
He is the main char in a show called Monk.

Imagine this guy going to Equestria to solve a mystery. I bet he runs out of sanitary wipes dealing with the pony spit on the doorknobs.
Magic might be a problem for him too.
I could imagine that guy bugging out as a pony brings him a coffee.

This would be a kick plot story in the right hooves, um, hands.

4642680 Ok then, why don't you show us the standard Equestrian version? :trollestia:

4642713 I can't, the video is banned in my country. :raritydespair:

4642721 Then you're living in the wrong country.

4642724 I know. I should be living in Equestria. I wonder what problems I'd have to deal with if I moved there. It'd be a pain in the ass as a tall person, but I think living with adorable ponies will be worth it.

4642730 And the mares! The mares alone are worth moving! :trollestia:

Trust me, I've read a lot of journals on here from other guys living in Equestria, mares are super friendly to human males. :raritywink:

4642742 I read a few of those journals. I wouldn't be too sure on the mares. The same mares tend to jump from one human to the next.

:rainbowlaugh:4642565 i would have to work there.

4642696 Nice crossover it would be.
Surely he needs a very dedicated unicorn assistant (to open doors, bring him food, ecc... without touching anything).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_%28TV_series%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Monk#Phobias

Monk has a fear of pointy objects.
Unicorn horns might be too pointy for him.

I bet he will have a fear of fur (it could hold fleas).

Maybe he has a fear of ponies too?

The unicorn assistant is a good idea though.
He drives his assistants nuts so he will probably drive that pony close or to insanity.
This is a guy who does not like his food touching.

4642763 Yeah, I've heard a few of the guys talking about that. But there are some mares that not many guys can get:

Milky Way
Cheerilee
Spitfire
Blossomforth
Aloe and Lotus Blossom
Nurse Redheart
Cloudchaser
Flitter
Cloudkicker
Amethyst Star
Minuette
Lemon Hearts
Moondancer
Twinkleshine
Daisy
Lily
Roseluck
Carrot Top
Raindrop

There's one more, but I forget her name, apparently she's a mom to a foal who likes videogames.

I know the show. :twilightsmile:

For the fear of pointy objects,

"Hats are magic"

For driving his assistant nuts,

"He only needs an assistant that's already nuts"

I'm half tempted to write such a story.

You wouldn't be the first.

Like, literally dies? I'm not talking he gets lucky a few (dozens) times, I'm thinking it actually kills him. Death by snu-snu.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 77