Positive Ponies 3,476 members · 1,450 stories
Comments ( 55 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 55
23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Now, I could just simply ask one of the most used questions:

"What are some of your favorite movies?"

But I got an idea. What are some of your favorite movies...

That's NOT commonly found in a "favorite movies" list? Ones you don't really see people put in theirs.

Mine are:

~ Osmosis Jones
~ Rango
~ Kick-Ass
~ Colossal
~ Barnyard

Don't be afraid to get a li'l obscure if you need to. :raritywink:

- Scarface
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Goodfellas

Easily my top 3 movies. Not sure if these are commonly found in favorite movies list or not.

Edit: As a PharmD, Osmosis Jones is a favorite of mine haha

• Muppet Treasure Island
  • LEGO Batman: DC Superheroes (NOT The LEGO Batman Movie)
  • Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
  • SMG4: Meggy's Destiny

I am trying so hard not to say anything Star Wars related. You have no idea.

Hmm... let’s see...

Coraline.
Megamind.
Underdogs.
Wreck-It Ralph.
The Lego Movie.
Muppets Most Wanted.
The Captain Underpants Movie.

Uhh... I dunno...

It’s really hard to tell what’s commonly placed on a “favorite movies” list and what’s not.

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Lol, I think Megamind, Wreck-it Ralph and The Lego Movie are in alot of people's lists

EDIT: and Coraline

The One (the kung fu movie with Jet Li)
Rings (the third in trilogy and god is it underrated)
and both Silent Hill movies (like many video game movies of the time, the're not as bad as many said when they first came out)

Damn it. Uhh... how about...

An explosive couple

happened yesterday

predator (the first movie)

pirates of the Caribbean

Spiderman a new universe

Terminator 2

I'd say those are my favorite movies:ajsmug:

My favorite movies are
~Strange Magic
~Infinity War
~Pup Star
~Annie 2014

Pokemon destiny deoxis

Rise of darkrai

Angry birds

Rugrats meet the torn berries

Got a few of em, but a recent favorite of mine is Mosley

Spirit-stallion of the Cimarron

short clip

osmosis is a good one but, i'll add 'Indian in the cupboard'

classic trailer

Quest for Camelot

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow

Planet Hulk

And that's all I can think of for movies that you don't see spammed on favorite movies lists that I've watched.

Jingle all the way

Open Season

Dragon ball evolution

Class Act

1. Jurassic Park/World franchise
  2. Monsterverse franchise
  3. Pacific Rim
  4. Independence Day
  5. The Jungle Book (2016)
  6. Edge of Tomorrow
  7. The Land Before Time
  8. Bumblebee
  9. Star Wars franchise (old and prequels)
  10. Toy Story franchise (only the trilogy)

Spirited Away

Boy and the Beast

Kung Fu Panda

Wallace and Grommet

I don’t know what counts as ’obscure’, these are all movies people close to me know. But these are all on my favorites list for different reasons.

I love films that experiment with film as an artform. Here are some good examples:
- Black Cat White Cat by Emir Kusturica
- The Pillow Book by Peter Greenaway
- Holy Motors by Leon Carax
- Gozu by Takashi Miike

And here are some films of just unparalled beauty:
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the animation by Jirí Trnka
- The Fall by Tarsem Singh
- Kirikou and the Sorceress by Michel Ocelot

And here are some heart-felt, lovely films that should get more attention:
- Bagdad Café by Percy Adlon
- The Secret of Nimh by Don Bluth
- Tokyo Godfathers by Satoshi Kon
- Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India by Ashutosh Gowariker
- Victor Victoria by Blake Edwards

The princess and the goblin

Duel was Spielberg's first film he directed. Some guy in a car is pursued by some guy in a big-rig, and no one believes him. A fun movie.

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Been meaning to watch that. I know about it, lol

If you are looking for obscure there is House (no, not the horror ones; far more obscure).
A 1995 Canadian drama film adapted from a one man play.
Have it on VHS.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113342/
http://cfccreates.com/productions/32-house

Dog soldiers

Ice spiders

Snakes On a Train (yes you read that right)

anaconda 3 trail of blood.

Wyvern.

Sea Beast.

Sabertooth.

Gargoyle.

Basilisk: Rise of the Serpent King.

1. Beauty and the Beast (both animated and live action)
  2. Zootopia
  3. My Little Pony the Movie
  4. The Swan Princess
  5. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  6. Brother Bear
  7. Muppets from Space
  8. Muppet Treasure Island
  9. Bambi
  10. Detective Pikachu
  11. Daisy A Hen Into the Wild
  12. The Thief and the Cobbler
  13. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  14. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole

I would say some movies I liked (but aren't all that popular) would probably be:

The Lion King 1 1/2 (But I haven't watched the first one)
Charlotte's Web
Some other movies, and then a ton of books (but they're books, not movies.) :twilightsmile:

Does Rainbow Rocks count? lul. But seriously, one of my favorite movies as a kid was An American Tail: Fieval Goes West, which was an overall terrible sequel to a cult classic movie.

Van Helsing. Hugh Jackman's first Lead role, all the classic horror monsters in one story, a female lead that is both kick ass and eye candy. Good mix of atmospheric horror and high action. One of my personal favorites.

I loved to watch Jingle all the way as a kid. It starred Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his few comedic roles if I recall.

Yeah van helsing was pretty great.

for me my top 5 are as followed;
1: The Crow
2: Labyrinth
3: Indiana Jones: Last Crusade
4: Guys and Dolls
5: Fiddler on the Roof

The Mask
The Matrix
Chocolat
Hot Shots part deux
Treasure Planet
The Princess Bride
Bonus: Can't Hardly Wait

Big Jake
The Rookie (the 2002 film)
The Inspector General (with Danny Kaye)
Support Your Local Sheriff!

...In no particular order. >^_^<

* Cars 3
* Watchmen
* Megamind
* Batman Returns
* What We Do in the Shadows

-Memento (is this common or nah)
-Knives Out
-Citizen Kane
-The Dark Knight
-Spider-Man 2
-The Lego Movie
-V for Vendetta
-Death Note Re-Light: Visions of a God

Underrated Films I like:
-Lagaan: Once Upon a Time In India (not Indian, just like Bollywood movies for some reason)
-3 Idiots (not underrated in India, but most non Indians haven’t watched it)
-Batman: Mask of The Phantasm (literally no one talks about this movie)
-Batman: Under The Red Hood (yeah I like batman)

Comment posted by My Little Pastafarian deleted Sep 27th, 2020

The Penguin and the pebble.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

As far as movies that are 'kind of' special to me but hardly anyone else has probably watched:

- Warriors of Virtue (I know it's bad, but to me THIS could use a remake)
- Once Upon a Forest
- The Last Unicorn
- The Fearless Four
- Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

We are talking about underappreciated movies, right? I didn't get this topic.

Very nice movie lists you got there, I watched them too as a kid back then.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You actually saw all these movies?

I mean, I know most of them are not really that good but... Well, what did you think?

Well, I do actually seen them before even it’s not that great, but these left me some impression enough to remember throughout the years.

Here are my thoughts of the lists.

Warriors of Virtue - The plot story was not that much, expected the magical realm of where they have kangaroos fighting with elemental Kung fu.
-Once Upon a Forest - This one was favourite of mine to watch as a kid, especially in after watching again made me nostalgic feels.
- The Last Unicorn - I think this ok, bit strange with the few scenes. Overall, not bad cause it’s has an emotional ending.
- The Fearless Four - This one didn’t have great views, but I kinda like the songs they put on. Like retelling of the classic fairytale with music.
- Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland - This one was ok, the animations are good and the characters are amusing.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

What do you like about the movies that you listed?

Quest for Camelot - Animated King Arthur-themed movie with Gary Oldman as main villain Ruber, who is spectacularly destroyed at the end. Lauren Faust was even involved in it, though she doesn't like to talk about it for some reason.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - My favorite of the original trilogy as it has more going on in it - first the whole thing with Jabba, getting Han back and finally taking the vile gangster down, then the bike chase, then, though it does get a little slow with the Ewoks at Endor, the "final" defeat of the Empire, Vader's redemption, and Palpatine falling into a reactor core, my favorite villain death of ever due to being the main villain for six films and combining falling with technicolor. (I still like the sequel trilogy but consider it a separate "what-if" universe, like "what if Palpatine survived and there was anything left of the second Death Star", but I get the feeling most fans will just ignore them altogether)

Hudson Hawk - Entertaining Bruce Willis movie. Lots of comedy and all the villains die at the end (though one reforms first). I feel it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

Stardust - Amazing fantasy movie and there'll never be another one quite like it. It almost always stays interesting, with some comedy to it (I was even able to appreciate a somewhat suggestive joke, which is rare, and on that note there's not a whole lot of suggestive stuff in there), and all the villains get what's coming to them. On that note, the final battle with Lamia is notable for having so many phases to it and always being fun, ending with her spectacular defeat.

Rat Race - Was entertaining a lot of the time. Probably can't be found nowadays, I had to get its DVD on Chapters when they were still selling them. Comedy movie about people racing from Las Vegas to Silver City for two million dollars as part of a gambling thing set up by John Cleese.

Phantom of the Paradise - Most of you have probably never even heard of this one and I don't know whether it can be found today. I was able to get a BluRay where there's a video by Paul Williams, who plays the main villain Swan, where he expresses doubt that anyone else will see this video or even the movie itself, being less popular than The Rocky Horror Picture Show due to much less "fanservice", which of course I see as a positive difference. I love all the songs in it and plus there's the final battle, though it ends with the main character dying as well. Side note: Paul Williams also does the voice of Rep in G1 (Escape from Catrina).

Original Swan Princess trilogy - If someone else thinks it qualifies as "people don't often put on their list" then it definitely applies to me. While not Disney, is close to Disney style, and defeats all three main villains (Rothbart, Clavius, and Zelda) the old-fashioned way, while having some pretty good songs to it. Also love the chase scene in the second film.

Tim Burton Batman series (including Batman Forever, even though Tim Burton didn't direct it) - Probably my favorite style of Batman. Not too grimdark and realistic, while not afraid to kill some of the villains off (except the Riddler who gets sent to Arkham), where two of them (the Joker and Two-Face) fall to their doom. It has all the top four classic Batman villains (though Catwoman is more sympathetic), one of which is my favorite Joker (no disrespect to Heath Ledger). I also didn't mind the Adam West movie, but the Dark Knight trilogy just didn't do it for me. (No offense to everyone who loves it and please don't give me a hard time for it)

This does NOT include Batman & Robin, I agree that it wasn't a great film and I didn't really enjoy that one at all, despite the presence of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. "The absolute nadir of the superhero movie genre, a film so bad that its star, George Clooney, spent over two decades apologizing for it."

Thor: The Dark World. This movie is so underrated. (I have Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, and Thor: Ragnarok higher but I think they're more popular) Yes, the villain, Malekith, doesn't have much personality, but he still felt compelling all the same and the final battle with him was awesome - first him and Thor falling through all those portals, then the malevolent cloud of Aether, though it became a Curbstomp Battle in Thor's favor from here. Also we got some comedy from Loki. At the time of its release it was my favorite MCU movie, to be overtaken only when Guardians of the Galaxy came out (which retains its title as my favorite movie of all time).

Does My Little Pony: The Movie count? It wasn't perfect but it felt like a step back in time to classic Disney movies. A full length movie revolving around the Mane 6 (Though Fluttershy didn't stand out much), awesome songs, and the Storm King destroyed.

I'm guessing Pirates of the Caribbean and Terminator 2 would appear on many lists

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Probably because of the creative differences and such. I'm sure she had ideas of what to include but they wouldn't listen to her. As far as 'Quest for Camelot'.

In a way, perhaps MLP could count considering that it wasn't a perfect movie but for those who follow the series it's considered a 'guilty pleasure' so to speak. And it's funny how you mention Disney because for whatever reason it's airing on the Disney Channel.

I heard, but they cut out one of the funniest jokes (Applejack "raised in a barn"). I at least hope they didn't cut the Storm King's death.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

This is why I have the 'actual' copy of the movie. Because I KNOW they'll do these sort of things. Disney's not the only one. Even 'Freeform' cuts out scenes from the movies mostly because of 'time constraint'. Sometimes, it's better to actually 'buy' the movies rather than just watching them on T.V. even if for the most part they are free to watch.

I got it as soon as the DVD was released. And if Seasons 8 and 9 ever will, I'll get them too. Plus then they'll be preserved in high quality forever.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 55