Golden Oak Book Club 205 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
ToixStory
Group Admin

Hello, all! Since this group has started to get moving, I've decided it's time to open up a fiction suggestion thread! What this will be is a place to suggest a story from Fimfiction (or possibly EQD or fanfiction.net) for the book club to read. After a set amount of time, probably a couple days, we'll have a voting thread to see which book of those suggested the group will choose to read for book club. The only rule is that you can only suggest one story per suggestion period. So, right now, you can post one, and then once the book club has chosen you can post the same one again or a different story. Also, the 100,000 word limit applies here, but it's not a hard limit. A little over is okay. Simple enough? Good!

My first suggestion will be Past Remnants by GreyGuardPony.

[Adventure] [Alternate Universe]

Everypony in Equestria fears Corona, the Tyrant Sun.

But there was a time when the tyrant stood side by side with her sister, in the days far before the founding of Equestria and the elder sister's descent into madness. And when something they found in those early days calls them and Lyra Heartstrings (Element of Loyalty) to a lost city, the alicorn sisters are forced to deal with the shadows of the past.

Some secrets, are better left buried....

A Lunaverse story, set in the Summer of Season 2.

Lost Into Shadow by Lucidenn.

Twilight had reached her peak, she was at the happiest point in her young life. The day of her coronation as Equestria's newest princess had finally arrived. Then the unthinkable happened, Sombra appears in the throne room alive and well demanding his chance to be reformed by pony society. The unthinkable happens again, when his wish is granted, spearheaded by none other than Princess Twilight herself. Will Sombra's nefarious plans bring her to ruin, or will she succeed against all odds? Only time can tell as it reminds them both that plans have a way of changing all on their own.

Tags: Dark, Alternate Universe, Romance

Twilight's Monster by Fuzzyfurvert

In an Equestria without the Princesses or the guidance of the Elements of Harmony, Twilight Sparkle is a researcher on the cusp of her greatest discovery and simultaneous fall from grace while finding love at the same time.

Tags: [Romance], [Dark], [Alternate Universe]

No idea how many folks in here have read this one, but I'll drop it in anyway.

Ἐλπίς by Bad Horse.
Tags: [Dark] [Adventure]

Below her, the remains of the world, and everyone in it, spin slowly, around and around, in a sea of purple goo. But that doesn't mean Celestia's work is done. The Road lies ahead of her, and at its end—the most difficult decision of her life. Again.
How long can one pony keep hope alive?
Long.
2nd place in the "History Repeats" write-off.

Stahl #5 · Sep 9th, 2014 · · 1 ·

The Immortal Game by AestheticB
[Dark] [Adventure]

Long ago, in the magical land of Equestria, there lived a powerful King and his dark Queen. Immortal and ignorant, their end came at the hooves of their daughters, Celestia and Luna, who sought to build a better future for ponykind.

Now ponykind’s old gods have returned.

Twilight Sparkle is trapped inside her own mind, slave to a cruel and impulsive consciousness built from everything she is not. Powerless and voiceless, she must find a way to stop the being that calls itself Nihilus from destroying everything she holds dear.

Luna is tasked with assembling the remaining Elements of Harmony in hopes of freeing their leader. For if ponykind is to have any hope, it is in Twilight Sparkle. And if Twilight Sparkle is to have any hope, it is in her five friends.

Facing her father in mortal combat, Celestia must do everything she can to ensure that ponykind has the tools to survive before she falls. With inevitable defeat bearing down upon her, she makes the first move in the oldest and deadliest game known to creation.

ToixStory
Group Admin

Well that's a bit over the limit for the group, but if enough readers want to read TIG, then it'll be okay. :twilightsmile:

JMac #7 · Sep 9th, 2014 · · 1 ·

3617618 Rainbow Burger

Tags: Comedy, AU, Human

She hates the humans. She hates their roads. She hates what the world has become...but most of all she hates her job.
Join Pinkamena Diane Pie (just call her Pinkamena) as she struggles through her day with stupid customers, and dumber management.
Don't look in the satchel.

This is an alternate universe with some of the most innovative world building I have ever seen. Humans have opened a portal to Equestria and made contact. We then promptly did what we do best - we paved the place and put up strip malls. This is a hilarious dark comedy, and possibly the most under rated story on this site.

Albi #8 · Sep 10th, 2014 · · 1 ·

I think I'm going to recommend one of the first fanfics I ever read here. Daylight Burning.

"It's so nice to see you again!" said the thing that was not Celestia. "Oh yes, I know who you are, Twilight Sparkle. I had a taste of your magic the first time we met. Mortals forget things so easily, I find. Allow me to refresh your memory: you tried to kill me. But you failed, Twilight Sparkle. You only mostly killed me. And I guess that makes you one very unlucky little pony."

Enix #9 · Sep 10th, 2014 · · 4 ·

My Suggestion: Visionary by Razorbeam

Tags:[Romance] [Adventure] [Slice of Life]
Synopsis:

After Chrysalis failed to conquer Equestria, she was shamefully stripped of her title of "Queen of the Changelings".

Their people now leaderless, the Changeling race now finds itself in a unique situation. In the struggle for power, one Changeling seizes the attention of his people. Can he overcome his nature, and the nature of his people, to lead them into a better future?

---
One of the first few stories I read on Fimfiction. I recently found out there's a sequel and I wanted to reread it to freshen up for the sequel. I figured it be more fun if I can share the experience with others, and it be an excuse to make me read it again.

3618553 Visionary is good, but it's over the word limit.

3619499 Your right, it is. It's barely over in my opinion. It's so trivial I don't see why it's a problem. But if were really going to be that strict then, I'll take it down.

Also, Toix, I noticed this thread doesn't say if it's for normal or over the limit, stories. Should mention that to avoid a similar situation. :twilightoops:

ToixStory
Group Admin

A question occurs to me.

How are we going to vote intelligently on stories we haven't read yet? Seems like people will vote for stories they've already read, or stories that have pretty cover art or catchy synopses. Or their favorite ship. You know how it goes.

And anyway, unless the votes are secret, it'll be hard to avoid things like having the first few voters influence those who come later.

Not that any of this is a big deal, since this is just a casual social group. I'm just muckraking.

ToixStory
Group Admin

Well in every book club I've ever been in, we basically do just that, vote on which book looks the coolest and read it. That's just how they operate, really. And I was actually thinking that if people wanted they could PM their votes to me and I'll collect them and reveal the winner so it's a secret ballot. :twilightsmile:

Cerulean Voice
Group Admin

Lady Prismia and the Princess-Goddess, by Skywriter

[Adventure]

Filly Cadence turns her first heart.

I'm going to recommend the fantastic Schemering Sintel by the wonderful N00813.

[Sad] [Dark] [Tragedy] [Adventure]

Truly an exceptionally controversial story that is sure to allow for great conversation on the book. And I'm sure I'd love to read this story once again in a different mindset and light.

Hmm... That's a very clever pick you did. As much as I'd like to see TIG winning the poll, Sintel's adaptation with WTWE sauce looks much more promising. It's a great story to discuss both strong and weak sides of.

Oh, I've got comments on the story itself to prove what my thoughts were originally, but I really want to return to this story in a new light. And as you said, it makes for fantastic discussions.

Oh man this one is so ripe for discussion!

I'll go ahead and toss one of my personal favorites into the mix

Sunset by Ciroton

Sad Dark

Some things in this world happen by chance. Others do not. Twilight Sparkle is about to learn a disturbing truth that will turn her world upside down.

Sunset is pointlessly dark in my opinion. Thrilling, maybe, but mediocre at everything.

Chaos and Laughter by Charcoal Quill
[Dark] [Random] [Adventure]

The unthinkable has happened. A new Draconequus has emerged, apparently intent on plunging Equestria into chaos once more. To make matters worse, Pinkie Pie is nowhere to be found, forcing Twilight and the others to scramble to find a way to defeat this new threat without the Elements of Harmony.

I can easily remember impression I got after finishing this story, because it is still one of a kind. If I wished for a story to get cinematized, that would be Chaos and Laughter. It has enough potential and originality to deserve it and it's modest enough to fit limitations.

Of Lilies and Chestnuts by Prane
[Slice of Life]

In some circles Fancy Pants and his lovely wife Fleur are considered to be the most heroic duet of Canterlot. They have conquered countless social events, faced hundreds of snobbish ponies and emerged victorious from the most dire of faux pas. Truly, ballads shall be sung in honor of their bravery for generations!

However, these very heroes have recently discovered that there is something missing from their lives. Something that can't be obtained by wielding a keen edge of exquisite mannerism or showing deft expertise in charming smiles. Something that cannot be gained or achieved, but must be earned.

Something that came to them in the form of a brash, growing up filly from beyond Equestria.

Princess Celestia Gets Mugged by BronyWriter
[Comedy] [Slice of Life]

Princess Celestia, tired of the constant pressure that ruling a nation puts on her, decides to take a day off and let Luna take her responsibilities for a day, something the younger alicorn is more than happy to do. She disguises herself as a pink maned pegasus pony named Sunny Skies and decides to go walking around Canterlot without any supervision. Unfortunately for her, not all parts of Canterlot are as safe as the palace, and she finds herself at the wrong end of a gang of muggers, who decide to kidnap her for a ransom when they see how much money she has on her.

Luna freaks out.

Celestia thinks it's hilarious.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23