• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 17,412 Views, 595 Comments

She Knows How To Treat A Lady - MysteriousStranger



When Trixie unexpectedly arrives to Ponyville in a bad shape, Rarity, as generous she is, decides to help her.

  • ...
36
 595
 17,412

Dreams and New Feelings

“Come on, Trix, you’ve almost got me!”

“Stop running so fast, brother!”

“Where the fun would be if I just let you catch me!”

“My hooves are not made for running, Can you at least slow down a little?” A filly Trixie was following a pony with the very same hat that she had lost, but no matter how fast she galloped, she could never reach him. “Clementine… I’m getting tired. Why don’t we rest?” Both ponies stopped.

“Very well, five minutes.” The stallion said as he sat down on a hill. Trixie smiled and trotted towards her older brother. But even as she got closer, she couldn't discern his features. She reached out as if to touch him, but her hoof only went through him as if he was a ghost. The two exchanged glances. Trixie smiled happily, but suddenly, the wind started to blow harder, causing the leaves to lift from the ground and into the air. The figure slowly dissolved from its head down to its hooves and followed the leaves.

“Clementine!” Trixie exclaimed. She could only watch with tears flowing down her face as her brother disappeared.

“Remember, Trix, fulfill your dreams and be good with everypony… Take my hat, so I can always be with you…”

“Clementine, please don’t leave me! I need you--I need you, brother!” Trixie shouted as she tried to reach the dissolving figure.

Moments later, he was gone, taking all the good memories with him. But something started to fall slowly towards her--it was Clementine's hat. Trixie was about to grab it, but it vanished just as it was within reach. Trixie, now all alone, burst into tears.

The magician pony woke up abruptly, sitting up and panting, with Little Mares underneath her hoof. She opened it where she left off, she had just reached to the chapter where one of the characters dies. She felt something running down her cheeks and used her free hoof to clean it; they were tears. She cleaned all of them, thinking about her dream, then, she looked at the book she was holding. She’d gotten hooked on that book because the sisters reminded Trixie of her brother, who was also gentle and generous. She really missed him. When he died, he took her happiness with him, her light. She was alone in the dark now.

“You’re finally awake!” Trixie opened her eyes wide and looked toward where the voice had come from, only to find Sweetie Belle. “Are you Okay? You were moving a lot in your sleep and you were mumbling things…”

Trixie stared at the filly for a few moments. She was around the age Trixie had been when her brother passed away. “Trixie is fine…”

“Hey! Your voice! It doesn’t sounds weird anymore!” Sweetie Belle said with a smile on her face. Trixie blinked several times and breathed with her nose. She could do it again and she didn’t feel sick anymore! “See? Resting did help, just like my sister said!” The filly excitedly said as she jumped on the spot. The magician pony was smiling inside; all she needed now was for her leg to heal and she could leave Ponyville for good.

“Well, at least Trixie won’t be sneezing anymore… Where’s your sister?” The smile on Sweetie Belle changed to a confused look.

“She’s in her workshop. She was hiding something, but she wouldn’t tell me what it was and just rushed in. I don’t know what’s gotten into her…”

“As long as she doesn’t bother Trixie, she won’t care what’s she’s doing.” Trixie said as she stood up.

“Where are you going?” The filly asked in a confused tone.

“Trixie just needs a glass of water.” The older Unicorn replied, a bit annoyed.

“I can get it for you!”

“Trixie can do it by herself!” The magician pony protested, almost raising her voice. Even the slight inclination had scared Sweetie Belle. Trixie didn’t know why, but she felt bad about it. “But if you really wish to do it, Trixie won’t stop you.”

Sweetie Belle grinned. “Yay!” The filly excitedly exclaimed before trotting into the kitchen while Trixie sat back on the couch. Sweetie Belle came back moments later with a glass full of water and gave it to Trixie. The older mare took hold of it with her magic and took a sip. She then noticed that Sweetie Belle was staring at her.

Trixie sighed. “Trixie… appreciates the gesture.” She said, closing her eyes.

The filly grinned again. “You’re welcome!”

Just as Trixie finished her glass of water, the door that led to Rarity’s workshop opened and the fancy Unicorn walked in.

“Trixie! I’m glad you are awake; I have something for you!” Rarity said, smiling as she approached to her guest. Using her magic, she levitated Trixie’s cape toward her. “I forgot to give it to you before, it’s already dry.” The white pony said, still smiling.

Trixie took her cape with her hooves and examined it closely. “Trixie can see that there are no traces of mud here… and it smells nice,” Trixie said before she looked at Rarity. “Trixie is thankful for your service, fancy lady… But it’s still incomplete. It won’t be the same without the hat,” Trixie added.

“Yes, I’m sorry about that, but you refused to let me make a new one for you…”

Trixie’s expression changed into one of anger. “Trixie already explained to you why!”.

“I know, and you don’t need to yell at me!” The fashionista replied with an offended look, raising her voice. She then took a breath to calm down, once again remembering the promise she had made to her little sister.

“Sis! What were you hiding when…?” She was cut silent by Rarity’s hoof on her mouth.

“Sweetie, can I talk with you in private? Excuse me, Trixie,” The white pony said as she took her sister to the workshop.

“What was that for?!” Sweetie Belle protested once Rarity released her.

“I'm sorry, Sweetie Belle, but I don’t want Trixie to find out just yet,” Rarity said, closing the door.

“Find out about what?”

“This…” The fancy Unicorn led her little sister to a table in front of a window. On said table it laid Trixie’s hat.

“You found…!” She was silenced once again by her sister’s hoof.

“What did I just say?!”

“Mmhmh Mhmh!”

Rarity removed her hoof. “Yes, darling?”

“Sorry, sis! Where did you find it? I thought it was lost during the storm a few days ago.”

“I thought it was, but I found it on a tree after saying goodbye to Fluttershy. Can you believe it?!”

“This must be your lucky day!” Sweetie Belle said before looking at Rarity. “But why are you hiding it? Why don’t you give it to Trixie?”

“Because it’s not dry yet. I went to visit Twilight earlier to see if she knew a spell that could clean it. She was able to remove most of the stains but a few were left. She didn’t dare try to remove the rest because she told me that she could rip the hat. But she did a nice job! I just had to wash it and now it’s good as new!” Rarity proudly explained to her sister.

“You’re wonderful, sis! She will be so excited when she sees her brother’s hat again.”

“Yes, I hope so… Wait a minute, how did you know!?”

Sweetie Belle opened her eyes widely and looked at Rarity. “I… I overheard…”

“Sweetie Belle, you know you shouldn’t eavesdrop on other ponies!”

“I know, but I couldn’t help it! I was worried!”

“Then you know you can’t tell Trixie or she will think I told you.”

“I won’t… So, when is it going to dry?”

“Maybe by tonight, sooner if it gets windy.”

“I can’t wait to see her face when she sees it!” The filly excitedly said.

“Me neither. But I have to work now. Could you please tell Trixie not to move around too much? I may have some customers.”

“Will do, Rarity!” Sweetie Belle trotted out of the room and told Trixie what Rarity asked for. Trixie reluctantly sat down and continued reading.

As the hours passed, customers came and went. Sweetie Belle didn’t want to bother her sister as she worked so she decided to visit her friends. Trixie’s eyes were starting to get tired after reading for so long, so she took her cape and went around the back of the boutique for some rest. Luckily, nopony seemed to recognize her and ponies never walked past there.

Finally, I can be in peace. If it isn’t that filly, it’s her sister and now all those ponies buying clothes! What’s the point?! We rarely use them!

“Umm… Trixie?” Trixie’s thoughts were interrupted by the voice of one of the ponies she least wanted to see. She sat up and slowly turned around to find Twilight Sparkle looking at her. “What are you doing here by yourself?” The lavender Unicorn asked, both confused and worried.

“Sparkle! Trixie knew it was only a matter of time until you came to see her. What do you want?” The blue Unicorn said, not exactly polite.

“Checking on how you’re doing? And trying to get a hat. Summer’s coming and Fluttershy could use one…” Twilight said, slightly offended. As she spoke, a smile eventually spread across her face.

“Trixie didn’t ask for your life story, she just… Why can’t Flutterfly buy one by herself?”

“It’s Fluttershy and I want to surprise her. It’s what you do when you’re in a relationship, you know? Or at least that’s what I read.” The bookworm pony said, placing a hoof on her chin as she finished talking.

“Relationship? You, Twilight Sparkle, are dating somepony? Why? What’s the point?” Trixie asked, confused and slightly interested.

“What's the point? Trixie, having a special somepony completes your life. It gives you a reason to smile and gives you a goal--to make that special somepony as happy as they make you. Seriously, you don’t know what you’re missing,” The bookworm pony said with sparkles in her eyes. Trixie thought for a few moments about what she’d just heard, shaking her her head soon afterwards.

“Trixie is fine by herself and she doesn’t need a special somepony that wastes her time and empties her pockets even more than they already are. Besides, everypony is the same; nopony is gentle and generous. Trixie will never fall in love.” Trixie said as she looked away. She once promised herself to only date somepony who was good enough for her.

“Are you sure about that? I don’t know, Trixie, there are generous ponies out there, if you just give them a chance…” Twilight began, but Trixie interrupted her before she could finish her sentence.

“Trixie will give them a chance if she finds a pony worthy of one.” The magician pony said, not looking at Twilight.

“Fine… Well, I have to go. I’ll see you later?” Twilight waited for a response, but she was just ignored by her. She sighed and turned away, walking inside the boutique. Nopony is generous and gentle? Is she blind?! She can’t say that after what Rarity is doing for her! Calm down, Twilight, give her time… focus on getting your marefriend a gift! She’s always under the sun during summer and she needs protection. The lavender Unicorn thought as she entered her friend’s boutique.

The sun was setting when the last customer had left. Trixie went back inside to sit on the couch, grabbing her favorite book. Rarity came from her workshop minutes after her guest had started to read.

“You really love that book, don’t you?” Rarity commented, almost in a joking manner.

“So what? Trixie can do as she pleases!” Trixie rudely replied.

The fashionista glared at her. You better change your attitude when I return your precious hat tonight! Rarity had to calm down before speaking again.“I’m going to prepare dinner; it shouldn’t take long.” Rarity turned around and went to the kitchen. Sweetie Belle entered from the other room and looked at Trixie with a smile. Trixie just looked at her for a few moments before reading again. She had gotten used of it. The filly then followed her sister’s example by going into the kitchen.

Half an hour later, dinner was served. Trixie closed the book and took a seat at the table. This time, she waited until everypony was at the table before starting to eat. They ate in silence again. Rarity didn’t know how to start a conversation with the most egocentric pony she’d ever met and Trixie didn’t want to talk with them. Sweetie Belle didn’t dare to break the awkward silence. After they were done, Trixie prepared to get some sleep on the couch.

“Wait a moment, Trixie, I want to show you something!” Rarity said before rushing to her workshop. Sweetie Belle stayed behind with Trixie, who looked at the filly in confusion.

“What?” Trixie asked to her, hoping to get an answer that could put her mind at ease.

“I can’t tell you, but you’ll know soon enough!” Sweetie Belle said, smiling with her eyes closed. The fancy Unicorn returned moments later, levitating a box. She gave it to Trixie.

“Open it, please.” Rarity said, looking at her with a friendly face. Trixie took it, still confused, and opened it. Her jaw dropped when she saw what was inside. Not only that, but she dropped the box, too. It was all she could do to focus on its content--her brother’s hat. At first, she thought that Rarity had made a hat behind her back, but after examining it closely she could see that it was her old hat. She could recognize it anywhere.

“But… how…?” Trixie barely managed to say.

“I found it stuck on a tree. Twilight helped me clean it a bit.”

Trixie instantly looked at Rarity when she said that she had found it. “Y-You found it?”

The fashionista nodded. “Yes. I know how important it is to you so I did my best to return it. I hoped it would make you feel at least a little bit better.” The magician pony found Rarity’s voice sweet for some reason and her heart skipped a beat after she’d finished speaking. She didn’t know why, but she found herself unable to look away from the blue eyes of the mare in front of her and, before she knew it, she hugged her host. That was unexpected.

“Th-thank you…” Trixie said, her grip tightening. She hadn’t hugged anypony since her brother had been alive, but now she found the urge to embrace Rarity. She still didn’t know why.

“I think she liked the surprise, sis!” Sweetie Belle said, jumping on her spot from excitement.

“I think so…” Rarity said as she returned the hug. After several seconds had passed, Trixie let Rarity go. She stared into her eyes, genuinely smiling. “Is that… a real smile?” The fancy Unicorn said, surprised. Trixie blushed slightly as she nodded, still lost in Rarity’s eyes. “Well… I’m glad it cheered you up! But now, it’s time to sleep. Good night, Trixie! Let’s go, Sweetie Belle.” Rarity said before she made her way out of the room.

“Good night, Miss Trixie!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed as she followed her older sister.

“Good night…” When Rarity and Sweetie Belle closed the door behind them, Trixie levitated the book and her brother’s hat toward her. There are generous ponies around after all… Trixie laid on the couch, hugging both the book and the hat close to her. Her eyes drifted shut. Finally, there was light in the dark again.

Trixie found herself in the very same field she had been in her last dream, but this time she was grown up and had her cape on. From a distance, she could see the shadow of a pony wearing a hat. She hurried towards it. This time, when she was close enough, she could identify the pony. However, it wasn’t her brother. It was a white coated pony with a purple mane.

“I’m glad you made it; I was waiting for you!” Rarity said as she approached to Trixie, casting her a romantic gaze. Trixie only smiled as Rarity grew nearer. Rarity used her magic to remove the hat she was wearing and put it on Trixie’s head.

“It suits you more.” The fancy Unicorn said as she got even closer. Their faces were mere inches away. Trixie blushed hard and kept smiling awkwardly, making Rarity giggle. “I love when you’re nervous, Trixie! And I love you…” Trixie opened her mouth to say something, but she found Rarity’s lips meeting hers instead. Trixie slowly closed her eyes and returned the kiss, wrapping her forelegs around Rarity’s neck. In the sky, there was a ghostly figure of a blue stallion with a silver mane and lavender eyes looking at them, smiling.

In the real world, Trixie was smiling, hugging Little Mares and her hat to her chest. She was muttering ‘Rarity’ in her sleep.

Author's Note:

What’s that? Another update? Hay yeah! I thought I should make it up to you guys for updating slowly! ;)
It got interesting right? I hope I’m not boring you! :D
I want to thank Blue Dragon and ShadowBlades for editing this chapter before its release! :)