• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,187 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,187

Farewell

Rarity opened her eyes and inhaled sharply. The alabaster Unicorn panted as though a weight had been lifted from her chest. She looked around and saw that she was lying in a hospital bed.

“Rarity!” The mare looked to her left and saw a beaming Pinkie Pie beside her. The rest of her friends quickly gathered around her. “You’re all better!”

“Oh, I’m so relieved,” sighed Fluttershy.

Rarity sat up in the bed and felt the rejuvenating properties of Zecora’s Phoenix Flower Brew course through her body. She carefully got out of the bed and was pulled into a crushing hug by Pinkie Pie.

“Take it easy, Pinkie,” Twilight told the overjoyed pink mare. “Give her some space.”

Pinkie reluctantly relinquished her grip on the fashionista and pouted, “But I’m so happy she’s okay!”

“So are we, Sugar cube,” Applejack replied. “But give her time to recuperate.”

“With Rarity getting better and all, it must mean that someone took out that vampire,” Rainbow Dash commented.

“Ah bet it was Spike,” Apple Bloom said.

“Spike?” Rarity asked with surprise as she turned to the younger of the Apple Sisters.

“Yeah, he jumped out the window and started running towards the Everfree Forest when he found out that you had been attacked,” Scootaloo explained and pointed to the window that Spike crawled out of.

“Oh my goodness!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. “Spike still thinks the guards are after him!”

“Good heavens, she’s right!” Twilight gasped, remembering what those arrogant investigators have caused.

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked, out of the loop.

“Yeah, why are the guards after Spike?” Rainbow Dash also asked.

“The investigators thought he was the one attacking ponies and tried to arrest him!” Twilight told her friends. “They even organized an angry mob and chased him with torches and pitchforks!”

“So that was all that was about!?” Rainbow Dash shouted, remembering seeing the search parties before she was bit.

“How terrible!” Fluttershy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. How could the ponies she knew so well form a mob and hunt after anyone?

“Outrageous!” Rarity cried out in fury. “How dare they accuse my Spikey Wikey!?”

“Come on girls! We need to find Princess Celestia!” Twilight declared. The Elements of Harmony and the Cutie Mark Crusaders out of the hospital, leaving the doctors and nurse calling after them, saying that they hadn’t properly released.

The nine ponies ran down the streets of Ponyville and saw that an emergency town meeting had been called during the middle of the night. On the platform in front of town hall was Celestia, not looking too pleased. The white Alicorn saw Twilight Sparkle and the others approaching the crowd.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” the Solar Princess called to her graduated student. The lavender Alicorn along with the others Elements of Harmony joined her on the stage. “I’m glad to see that Rarity has recovered. That must mean that Spike has defeated the Voivode.”

“Yes, Princess. We think so too,” Twilight agreed with a nod.

“I’m glad you all are here. I was about to make an announcement.” The group of friends left the stage so that Princess Celestia could address the town. As Twilight left the stage, she noticed a squadron of Royal Guards surrounding the platform. Beside the guards were Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe. Their tails were tucked between their legs, their ears drooped, and their heads hung low in shame.

“Citizens of Ponyville,” Celestia spoke to the crowd. The characteristic warmth of her voice was absent and it was replaced by a serious tone. Celestia had always been a motherly figure to all of her little ponies, but this wasn’t the “doting mother” Celestia. This was the “scolding mother” Celestia. “I am very disappointed in all of you.”

Hearing her reprimanding words, the entire crowd imitated the three investigators’ looks of shame.

“I have been informed that you have been lead by misinformed ponies into hunting down Spike the Dragon,” Celestia continued. The three investigators flinched when the princess mentioned them. “What saddens me is that you blindly followed these ponies into forming a lynch mob. It shocks me that you could so easily be led into rioting. This is shameful. I had hoped you all were more civilized than that. You allowed fear and hatred cloud to your minds and chased Spike, someone you all know very well, out of your town. You all know Spike; he is a hero! It was because of him that King Sombra was vanquished and the Crystal Empire was freed from his curse. Spike valiantly fought by my side when giant cockatrices invaded Canterlot. He played an essential role in stopping the Nightmare Forces when it returned to Ponyville. You all mourned for him when he was lost in a parallel world and everypony thought he was dead! How could you so easily forget what he has done for you and what he meant to all of you? Did you not question why you were being led to hunt him? Did you not trust him enough to investigate the matter for yourselves?”

Her words stung at their guilty consciences. They all averted their eyes and some of them cried in shame and humiliation. They shuffled their hooves uncomfortably and looked at the ground.

“You’re not going to find him by looking at your hooves,” Celestia told them sternly. “You are going to find him and bring him home safely. When he returns, you are all going to beg for his forgiveness. Now, go and find him.”

With the princess’s command, the crowd dispersed and went off to find the falsely accused dragon. Princess Celestia walked down the steps of the platform and looked over to Clue Finder and his associates.

“Inspector Clue Finder,” Princess Celestia firmly said to the olive Unicorn.

“Y-yes, Y-Your Majesty?” he timidly whispered.

“You and your team are hereby suspended until Spike is brought safely home. When he does return, the three of you shall return to your positions under probation and with reduced pay.”

“We understand, Your Majesty,” the trio said with their heads bowed. Celestia started to walk away, but stopped and looked back them again.

“Clue Finder.”

“Yes, Your Majesty?”

“I love Spike, Clue Finder. I personally cared for his egg for decades. I was there the day he was born. I helped Princess Twilight Sparkle raise him. He is the closest thing I have to a son.” There was a flash of anger in the Alicorn’s eyes and her voice lowered to a menacing tone. “For your sake, pray that he returns safely.”

Without another word, Princess Celestia left the trio of trembling shamed ponies and joined the Elements of Harmony to go to make preparations for the search for the missing dragon.

*****

Vlad Dracula laid on the stone floor of the ruined castle that once belonged to the Royal Alicorn Sisters. Moonlight fell through the cracked window and surrounded the vanquished vampire. The hilt of the broken sword stuck out from his ribcage and blood ran down his chest, staining his black clothes, to the floor. He laid perfectly still and his eyes stared unblinkingly up to the ceiling of the great hall of the castle. Blood came out of his mouth as the vampire coughed.

“Where is my princess…” he lamented with a strained voice. He coughed up more blood and wheezed. He could feel the darkness of death coming to claim him once again. “… She has forsaken me…”

His eyes slowly rolled in his head and he looked out the window. For the first time since Renny Field had revived him, he looked at the moon. He noticed the image of the Mare in Moon was absent from the lunar surface. He wondered how it could be so. The image of a dark mare had been on the surface of the moon ever since Nightmare Moon was banished there by Celestia.

A flash of moonlight filled the hall of the ruined castle and Princess Luna hovered over Dracula. She gently touched down and stood over the defeated vampire. Tears ran down her midnight blue face as she saw what had become of the stallion she loved.

“…Luna…” Vlad managed to whisper in a rasp.

“Vlad… my poor Vlad,” Luna sobbed as she knelt down beside him. She held one of his hooves in hers and he reached up and caressed the side of her face with his other. His rasping breath stopped and his hoof fell lifelessly to the floor. His eyes closed and Luna touched his forehead with hers and sobbed in despair. Her crying echoed throughout the castle as the moon shone its light on the heartbroken Princess of the Night as she wept over her beloved’s body.

*****

In a seedy bar in Manehattan, Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe sat around a table. They stared at their empty mugs of hard cider and contemplated their situation. They had been suspend from their jobs and would be in for a hard time when, if ever, they would be allowed back to their positions. The dragon they had so passionately pursued had been missing for a couple days now and no leads have been found. One would think that finding a purple dragon would be easy.

“This stinks,” the bubblegum pink mare with the mint green mane muttered as she played with her empty mug. Cold Case was slowly banging his head on the table. Clue Finder was resting his head on his folded forelegs on the table.

“We should have gathered more evidence…” Cold Case mumbled as the gray stallion continued to hit his head on the table. “We should have conducted more interviews…”

How could this happened? the olive Unicorn thought. Everything was working out so well. I was going to be a hero! It’s all that stupid dragon’s fault! How was I supposed to know that there was a real vampire!?

His thoughts were interrupted when a tan Earth Pony waitress with an auburn mane place three fresh mugs of hard cider on the table. The trio looked at the mugs and then back up to the mare with confusion.

“Complements of the mare in the corner booth,” she said with a nod in the direction of the corner of the bar as she gathered the empty mugs from the table. The three looked in the direction indicated by the waitress and saw a mare sitting in the shadows. She was red Pegasus mare with a blond mane and was watching them with green eyes that seemed to glow in the dark. They grabbed the mugs, lifted them up, and nodded to the mystery mare. The mare smiled back at that them, but they failed to notice her two pointed teeth. They downed their drinks and placed the mugs back on the table.

“I’m going to go thank her for the drinks,” Gum Shoe announced as she got up from the table.

“Yeah, you go do that,” Clue Finder mumbled. Gum Shoe trotted over to the booth and sat down beside the red mare. She noticed that her cutie mark was of a map and compass.

“Hey, thanks for the drinks,” the pink Earth Pony said to the unknown mare.

“You’re welcome,” she said with a predatory smile. “You looked like you needed it.”

“Yeah, we hit some hard times recently,” Gum Shoe told her. “I’m Gum Shoe. What’s your name?”

“Call me Lady Crimson,” the red mare introduced herself.

“Is there anything I can do to thank you for the drinks?” The question made Lady Crimson’s grin grow.

“Why yes, since you asked,” she said, looking into Gum Shoe’s eyes with her glowing green ones. The pink mare’s mind began to become hazy as she stared into the mesmerizing eyes. She started to think she had one too many mugs of cider, but her thoughts completely clouded over and a euphoric feeling filled her. “I gave you a drink, so how about you return the favor, hm?”

“Mmmhmmm…” Gum Shoe dreamily responded as she bobbed her head up and down with a drunken smile on her face.

“Good, then follow me.” The Pegasus left the table and Gum Shoe obediently followed her outside.

It was closing time and the patrons were asked to leave. Clue Finder and Cold Case swayed a bit as they also made their way out of the bar. Then they remembered Gum Shoe wasn’t with them.

“Hey, where’s Gum Shoe?” asked Cold Case with a slight slur.

“I dunno, let’s find her,” Clue Finder answered.

The two inebriated stallions walked around, looking for their partner. As they searched, they made their way around the corner into the alley that went behind the bar. There, they found Gum Shoe slumped against the wall. She had her eyes closed and she was moaning blissfully. The two stallions noticed she had a hoof to her neck.

“Gum Shoe, what are…” Clue Finder started to ask as he moved her hoof away from her neck to find two fresh bite marks on her throat.

“Good evening, gentlecolts,” a sultry voice said from behind them. Clue Finder and Cold Case turned around to come face to face with the hypnotic green eyes of the mysterious red Pegasus from the bar. They were immediately caught in her spell. A fog filled the alley and the mare’s sinister laugh could be heard echoing into the night.

*****

In Trotsylvania to the far north, a lonely castle stood on a snowy mountain top. Everything was silent for no one dared to enter the cursed fortress. The only inhabitants were the skeletons of long dead ponies, impaled on wooden pikes.

In a dark tomb of the castle laid a sarcophagus. A flash of magic illuminated the room and Princess Luna appeared. Floating beside her, wrapped in her blue magic, was the body of Vlad Vanguard. The broken blade that which Spike stabbed him with was still embedded in his chest.

With a solemn expression on her face, the midnight blue Alicorn moved the stone lid away with her magic and carefully placed the body into the sarcophagus. She stared down at the dead stallion and then slowly moved the lid back into place.

“Good night, my sweet prince,” she quietly whispered to the closed casket. A few tears ran down her face as she closed her eyes and teleported back to Canterlot.

*****

Spike sat in a dinner in Fillydelphia. He was self conscious as he was receiving stares from the other patrons. Every time he would look up, ponies would quickly avert their eyes from him. It was obvious that these ponies were not accustomed to seeing a young dragon in their midst. Spike tried to ignore them as he waited for the waitress to take his order. He rubbed his aching back, still sore from the beating he received a few nights ago during his fight with Dracula.

“Sir,” a rough sounding voice said to him. Spike looked up and saw the owner, a gruff looking gray Earth Pony with a balding brown mane, standing beside his table. “I’m going to have to ask you to leave. You’re bothering the other customers.”

Spike looked around and saw more ponies hide behind their menus. Again, he was being discriminated against for being a dragon. He knew there was no point in arguing, so he let out a sigh and quietly left the table. As he headed out the door, he heard the ponies cheer and applaud for the owner for driving the “scary” dragon away. Spike shook his head and walked to the docks.

The purple dragon sat on a post and pulled out a few gems that he had stashed in his pack. He munched on a topaz as he watched the ships in the harbor. He then felt pressure in his stomach and belched green flames. A letter that bore the crest of Princess Celestia landed in front of Spike. He looked sadly at the letter in his claw.

The Princess must be looking for me, he bitterly thought. She must have heard what those investigators said I did and already sent her guards after me. Even if I did turn myself in, those investigators said they had enough evidence to put me away forever. Even though she is a princess, she isn’t above the law and would have to condemn me.

“We saw what happened in the dinner,” a voice said behind him. Turning around, Spike saw three stallions. The foremost one was a light brown Unicorn with a buzzed gray mane and blue eyes. He wore a red officer cap that signified that he had served in the military at one point and his cutie mark was a medal. “We thought what that pony did was terrible.”

“Oh, thanks,” Spike halfheartedly replied.

“I’m Captain Pepper,” the Unicorn introduced himself as he extended his hoof.

“I’m Spike.” He shook Pepper’s hoof and looked at the other two. One was an older gray Earth Pony with a white mane and mustache. His eyes were red and he wore glasses and a trench coat. His cutie mark was a rolled up map. The other one was a younger Unicorn, probably about the same age as Spike. He had a lime green coat, a yellow mane, blue eyes, and a cutie mark of an oil slick. He wore a purple choker and a red and white ball cap that said “Slippy” on it.

“This is my navigator, Peppy…” Pepper pointed to the older Earth Pony.

“How do you do?” the gray pony greeted and shook Spike’s claw.

“…And my mechanic, Slippy.”

“Nice to meet ya!” the lime green stallion said in a way too high pitched voice.

“We’re mercenaries,” the captain explained. “We just got this letter saying that some island to the east is in need of assistance and is offering a reward to anyone that can help them.”

“So what do you want with me?” Spike asked, failing to see the Unicorn’s point.

“We’re short on team members,” Pepper clarified. “Our last fighter, Mac Cloud, got married and decided to settle down and who knows where Falco is. Now we need a capable warrior to fill in. You look tough, would you be interested? I would fill the spot myself, but ever since I got injured and discharged from the army, I can’t fight anymore.”

“So what do you do?” Spike asked.

“I may be unable to fight, but I’m still a skilled tactician,” Pepper said in his own defense. “I also steer the ship. So how about it? You’ll get a large chuck of the money for being the one going out and doing to dirty work.”

Spike thought about the offer. He only had a few gems and bits in his backpack and he doubted anypony else would hire a dragon. He looked at the letter in his claw and remembered that he was also a wanted criminal in Equestria. It was only a matter of time before the word spread throughout the kingdom and every guard in the country would be looking for him. Besides, it wasn’t like he had anything better to do.

“Alright, I’m in.” Spike clasped the Unicorn’s hoof and shook it to seal the deal.

“Excellent!” Pepper said with a friendly smile.

“Woohoo! Welcome to the team!” Slippy cheered.

“Welcome aboard,” Peppy said with a nod.

“Come on, let me show you our vessel.” Pepper led Spike down the pier to where their ship was docked. Spike saw a large yacht and was impressed by the fancy ship. “Well, are coming or not?”

Spike looked over and saw the mercenaries board a small decommissioned war boat. It was rickety and rusty, and Spike could swear it was held together in places by duct tape. On its side, the words “Great Fox” were painted on the hull. The dragon face palmed, but boarded the ironically named vessel. As he walked on the deck, he took one last look at the unopened letter and crumpled it up before tossing it overboard.

“I know she doesn’t look like much,” the captain admitted. “But this baby is still as good as she was back when she was still in the service. And here’s the best part; she’s an airship.”

“Great,” Spike said under his breath. It’s scary enough think I had to go on the water with this thing, now it flies!

The crew of the Great Fox entered the cabin and took their seats. Pepper took the helm and his horned glowed yellow. His magic started the magic power source of the ship. The engines roared and propellers spun as the ship came to life.

“Ready for take off!” Captain Pepper announced. He pulled some levers and flipped a few switches. The airship shook as it rose from the water. Spike braced himself as the Great Fox lurched forward, heading off towards the east. “Next stop: Krazoa Island!”

“Here we go,” Spike said to himself as he headed off to his next adventure.