• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,165 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,165

Unwelcomed Guests

“Vampires?” Rarity asked skeptically. “Honestly, Sweetie, do you really believe that?”

“I’m telling you, that’s what it looked like!” Sweetie Belle whined as she tried to convince her elder sister of what she saw.

“And I’m telling you, dear; Cheerilee wasn’t attacked by a vampire,” Rarity refuted, not even looking away from her current project. “Just because she had marks on her neck, it doesn’t mean they were made by a vampire. Maybe she was bitten by a venomous spider. It was probably just a coincidence.”

“But Spike said…” the younger white Unicorn tried to say, but her sister stopped her before she could continued.

“Yes, yes, I know what Spike said, but what are the chances of a vampire being here in Ponyville, let alone all of Equestria.” Rarity looked over her shoulder at her baby sister to see her looking down at the floor of the boutique with a troubled look on her face. Seeing her sister so distressed, the violet maned mare was filled with concern and empathy and left her work to walk over and comfort her younger sibling. “I’m sure that everything will be alright. The doctors did say that Cheerilee is going to be alright and that she can leave the hospital in a few days and Twilight did say that she will substitute for Cheerilee while she is in the hospital. Won’t that be fun? Why, you are going to be taught by the Princess of Friendship!”

Her spirits being raised, Sweetie Belle giggled and said, “Yeah, but she still doesn’t want anypony to treat her like one, though.”

“Ah, yes. She is the ever humble scholar and librarian, isn’t she?” Rarity agreed with an amused giggle of her own. Twilight Sparkle was never the one to flaunt her title about, unlike Prince Blueblood. “Trust me, darling. There is nothing to fear and there is certainly isn’t a vampire in Ponyville.” At that moment, a bell chimed as the door to Carousel Boutique opened and a gray Unicorn with a black mane and goatee entered the store followed by a red Pegasus. Seeing that she had customers, Rarity turned to the pair and recited her practiced welcome, “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique, and magnifique.”

“Good afternoon,” the dark stallion replied with a polite bow of the head. Rarity noted his manners and dignified tone of voice, which had a unique accent, and instantly knew this was a pony of class. “I have recently arrived to this charming village and I am in need of clothing suitable of one such as myself.”

“Oh, then come this way, my good sir. Step in front of this mirror and I will get your measurements so I can make you a custom order,” Rarity said as she tried to lead him to a mirror, but the stallion didn’t follow her.

“That is very kind of you,” the stallion started to decline. “But I am sure that I can find something to my liking.”

“Oh, but sir, I insist!”

“No, I would not want to trouble you. I am sure whatever you already have here will be fine.”

“Then allow me to help you to pick out a suitable wardrobe,” Rarity offered, trying to urge the stallion to step in front of a mirror. However, he was adamant not to step in front of any mirror.

“Madam, I thank you for your generosity, but I can dress myself,” the dark stallion politely declined. “Besides, I have an assistant to help me.”

“Well, if you’re sure,” Rarity said as she conceded. “Let me know if you need anything.”

“Yes, I most definitely will,” the stallion said as he and the red mare disappeared amongst the selections of clothing.

As the pair was searching for clothing, Rarity went back to her work. She put on her red rimmed glasses that she would wear whenever she was working and faced the mannequin with an half finished ensemble. She tapped her chin with a hoof and pursed her lips as she pondered on what the outfit needed. Inspiration struck and she immediately levitated her needle with magic and went to work. Unfortunately, she found that she was running low on one of the certain fabrics that she needed. “Sweetie Belle, would you be a dear and fetch me some more cerulean fabric from upstairs?”

“The what fabric?” Sweetie Belle asked in confusion as she titled her head to the side.

“This one,” Rarity said as she held it out in front of her.

“Oh, the blue one. Why didn’t you say so?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Not blue; cerulean,” Rarity corrected.

“Yeah, like I said, the blue one,” she said as she headed upstairs. Rarity rolled her eyes at her sister’s ignorance of the different shades of colors. She was about to return to her work, but the doorbell chimed again.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every…” Rarity stopped and gasped as soon as she turned around and saw the horrible sight before her. There was a Unicorn stallion with a red coat and a deep purple mane that was slicked back. His eyes were yellow and his cutie mark was of a golden scepter. He wore a pinstriped navy jacket and had a look of superiority on his face. Behind him was an entourage of well dressed and groomed ponies. Rarity knew who he was, and it made her blood boil at the sight of him.

“Hello, Rarity,” greeted the fancy pony. “It’s been too long.”

“N’Mighty,” she addressed him with an almost growl.

“That’s Count High N’Mighty, if you don’t mind,” the count told her in a faux Trottingham accent that many of the Canterlot elite seemed to imitate.

“What are you doing here?” questioned the dressmaker while standing as if she was ready to attack him at any moment.

“I was on my way to Las Pegasus,” N’Mighty explained. “You see, I have just purchased a diamond mine in the San Palomino Desert and I have invited some of my friends to join me in a little excursion to inspect the mine and to enjoy ourselves at the resort.”

“But what are you doing here?” the white mare reiterated.

“Oh, since we don’t leave until tomorrow, I just wanted to drop by and say hello to an old friend while I was in town and share with her the good news,” he said with a gloating grin.

“We are not friends,” she told him icily.

“Ah yes, that unfortunate encounter all those years ago,” he said with feigned regret as he held a foreleg over his forehead in an overly dramatic pose. “I have always regretted it and remember you as the one who got away.” A smug grin appeared on his face as he looked again at Rarity. “However, I am willing forgive you and let bygones be bygones.”

“You forgive me!?” Rarity cried out, shock by the gall of the count. A few years ago, Count High N’Mighty invited her to his estate in order to get to know her. Rarity had thought she had finally found her “Prince Charming,” but instead discovered that he was only interested in satisfying his lustful tastes and tried to take advantage of her. Their courtship, which only lasted for a few hours, ended with her slapping him and storming back to her home. “You forgive me!? How dare you! If anypony should be apologizing, it should be you apologizing to me!”

“I think not,” N’Mighty countered. “After all, you were the one who struck me. I offered you chance to escape this…” He stopped to wave a hoof around with a contemptuous sneer. “This… backwater town of uncouth yokels and how do you thank me; with an uncalled for and brutish assault.”

The pompous pony’s collection of cohorts gasped in shock and one of the mares cried out, “My word, how uncivilized!” Rarity’s face flushed red, not with embarrassment but with rage.

“But I am beyond such pettiness as holding a grudge…” N’Mighty announced in an air of superiority, which once again regressed into look of smugness. “…Unlike somepony. Being the generous pony that I am, I am willing to offer you another chance to be at my side. Surely, you would not refuse me the honor of having the most beautiful mare in all of Equestria as my bride. What do you say my dear? I am giving you the chance to be ‘Countess N’Mighty.’ It would be a shame to keep a lovely rose surrounded by a bunch of weeds.”

“I am quite happy where I am now, thank you very much,” Rarity rejected as she turned away from the arrogant aristocrat. “Besides, I am already in a relationship with someone wonderful.”

“Oh, you mean the dragon?” N’Mighty spat in disgust. Rarity snapped her head around to see the group of Canterlot ponies gazing at her with disapproving and judging stares. “So the rumors are true; you are in love with a monster.”

“Now see here!” Rarity raised her voice in defense of her special somedragon. “You may insult me, but I will not tolerate you insulting Spike!”

“Spike?” one of the ponies questioned. “Isn’t that adorable? She actually has a name for the beast.”

“How quaint,” another mare laughed. “I once had a pet dog named ‘Spike.’”

“I think it’s quite sad, actually,” N’Mighty sighed as he shook his head. “She couldn’t find a real stallion after me, so she found an animal instead. How pathetic. How truly pathetic and abominable.”

“He is more of a gentlecolt than you will ever hope to be!” Rarity passionately declared. N’mighty laughed loudly at Rarity claim as it was the funniest joke he had ever heard.

“Oh, that is too rich,” he said after catching his breath. “How deluded can you pony be? A dragon being more of a gentlecolt than me, how preposterous!” The count again started to laugh mockingly at the fashionista and his peers joined him. It was the laugh that only rich ponies have; that nasally condescending laugh that irritates anyone who listens to it. Rarity hung her head and closed her eyes as fury became sorrow. Tears escaped from her closed eyes and fell to the floor of the boutique.

“That is quite enough,” a dark voice echoed from behind the cluster of bigoted ponies. Count High N’Mighty and his posse jumped at the menacing sounding voice and turned around to see the gray Unicorn that had entered Rarity’s store before they had arrived. He was now dressed in a jacket, a dress shirt, an ascot tie, and a cape that were all black. With the dark colors of his coat and mane, the black clothing made him look as though as if he were a living shadow. The only bit of color on him was his glaring ice blue eyes, which chilled the ponies to their cores. Rarity thought only Fluttershy knew how to use “the Stare,” but this stallion was doing his own version of it. However, Fluttershy’s was more of that of scolding mother’s disapproving look. His was that of a warrior challenging an opponent to mortal combat. “How dare you?” As he approached Count High N’Mighty, the group of social climbing snobs hid behind their leader. “How dare you insult her, you detestable cur?”

Recovering from his initial shock, High N’Nighty’s face contorted in anger as this unknown pony dared to call him a ‘detestable cur.’ Trying to take the high ground in the verbal battle, the red Unicorn puffed out his chest and retorted, “How dare you, sir? Do you know who I am? I am Count High N’Mighty! Nopony addresses me in such a disrespectful tone! Who do you think you are!? I ought to have you whipped for your insolence!”

“Silence,” the mysterious stallion said forcefully, causing the noble to close his yapping mouth. Even though N’Mighty was shouting, the dark Unicorn’s words had more power behind them. “You came to this town and entered this fine lady’s store out of spite to berate and dishonor her with your calumny. She saw past your façade and saw you for the loathsome insect that you are. You tempt mares with promises of wealth and titles in order to seduce them. This is what passes as nobility in Canterlot these days? Where is the chivalry of the days of old? Where are the valiant knights, the respectable lords, and the gracious nobles that have been replaced by these vain usurpers? Now that is what is truly pathetic. You are not worthy of the title that you bare. Leave now, you miserable worms.”

The well groomed ponies that were cowering behind Count High N’Mighty quietly slunk out from behind their ringleader and left the boutique with their tails tucked and heads down looking like scolded foals. Count High N’Mighty stood where he was paralyzed by anger and by fear. He wanted to flee with the others, but his wounded pride forced him to stand his ground.

“Y-You… you insult my honor!” he said through gritted teeth.

“You have no honor. Be gone,” the dark stallion commanded. Unable to endure the piercing gaze of the dark figure before him, Count High N’Mighty left Carousel Boutique. After the Canterlot ponies had left, the stallion in the dark clothing turned to Rarity. “Are you alright, madam?”

“I’m okay,” she told him with a sniff as she wiped the tears from her eyes. Sweetie Belle, who had heard the entire confrontation while hiding out of sight in the stairwell, came running to comfort her sister.

“I’m sorry they said those things, sis,” Sweetie Belle said as she nuzzled against her distressed elder sister.

“Don’t worry about it, Sweetie Belle. It was just hot air coming from a buffoon,” Rarity told her with a sad smile and then turned to the stallion that defended her honor. “Thank you so much for standing up for me.”

“You are welcome,” he replied. “Now, about the price of these clothes.”

“Oh, of course!” Rarity exclaimed, remembering his reason for being there. “For coming to my aid, consider them as a gift.”

“I could not possibly allow that,” the stallion tried to decline.

“I insist. It would mean a lot to me,” she encouraged.

“Very well then, I must thank you, Madam Rarity,” he thanked with a nod of the head.

“It is I who must thank you, umm…” Rarity bit her lip as she thought. “Forgive me; I didn’t catch your name.”

“Permit me to introduce myself,” he started. “I am Prince Vlad of Trotsylvania.”

“Wow, a prince!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

“Thank you so much, Prince Vlad,” Rarity thanked.

“I am pleased to meet you, Madam Rarity and Miss Sweetie Belle. I must say, this is a lovely store,” Vlad complemented as he looked about. Noticing the stairs, he asked, “What is upstairs?”

“The rest of my house, of course,” the mare with the violet mane answered.

“You mean this is also your home?” Vlad asked with surprise.

“Why yes, many ponies here in Ponyville live in apartments above their stores,” Rarity explained.

“Yeah, like Sugarcube Corner, the library, the Quill and Sofa Store, the…” Sweetie Belle started to list off names of various stores, but Vlad wasn’t listening.

I have entered a home without being invited, he thought to himself. He recalled that Renny Field also lived above Professor Dig Site’s store. If a pony lives a place that is opened to the public, I do not need an invitation. Interesting…

“Thank you again. And now, I must take my leave. Miss Field,” the Trotsylvanian called to the mare that had accompanied him. With one last nod of respect, the pair left the store. As they left, Sweetie Belle happened to notice the marks on Renny Field’s neck. Her heart started to race with fear as she remembered that she saw the same marks on Cheerilee’s neck.

There are no vampires in Ponyville. There are no vampires in Ponyville. There are no vampires in Ponyville, Sweetie Belle thought over and over to calm herself.

*****

At Ponyville Castle, Twilight Sparkle and Spike were both busy doing research in the castle's library. Since the lavender Alicorn volunteered to be a substitute teacher while Cheerilee was in the hospital, she would need to plan out lessons for the next few days. She was in a bit of a rush due to the unexpected nature of Cheerilee’s absence. She had less than a day to plan out a week’s worth of teaching material and was also determined to fit in today’s lesson, not wanting the students to miss out on any opportunity to learn. She couldn’t imagine what it must be like to miss a day of school. Twilight had never missed a day of school, was never late on an assignment, and was always prepared for any test. As she thought about it, she wonders if she should have a pop quiz first thing tomorrow morning. Twilight clapped her hooves and giggled to herself in excitement. She may be a princess, but she still is a scholar at heart.

Twilight took a break from her planning and looked over to her number one assistant. She smiled when she saw that the dragon was also surrounded by pile of books. He didn’t love books as much as she did, but it made her so proud to see him so caught up in his own reading. Content, she returned to her own books.

What Twilight didn’t know was that the purple dragon was reading every book they had on the supernatural. Twilight is a pony of facts and figures and has a hard time understanding what she can’t observe. For this reason, she wasn’t inclined to believe in the possibility of a vampire being in Ponyville and had reassured him it was impossible. However, Spike wanted to be prepared. If there was a vampire here, how could he stop it?