• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,187 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,187

Movie Night

“Hurry or we're gonna be late!” a yellow mare with a bow in her mane called back to her friends.

“We’re ain’t gonna be late Apple Bloom,” responded her elder sister, Applejack. “It doesn’t start for another ten minutes.”

“Yeah, but all the seats will be taken by then!” complained an orange Pegasus named Scootaloo.

“This is the most anticipated film of the year,” Sweetie Belle, a pink and purple maned Unicorn, added.

“I don’t see why,” a purple dragon muttered underneath his breath in response to the Unicorn.

“What was that, Spike?” Sweetie Belle’s sister, Rarity, asked, not quite hearing what he had said.

“I said ‘I hope the line isn’t long.’” Spike told his marefriend.

“I hope so too,” the alabaster Unicorn with a purple mane agreed. Spike exhaled, relieved to having dodged that one. He was the only male in the group of friends and he was already being dragged to see a “chick flick.” He didn’t want to have to hear why this movie was going to be, according to every female pony, “the best movie ever” again. Even though everypony (that is, every mare) tried to convince him that this movie and the book series it was based off on was great, he still couldn’t understand its appeal. What surprised him was that everyone in his eclectic group of friends enjoyed the books to some degree. Spike rolled his eyes as he gave up trying to understand on how the female mind worked and looked at his friends as they walked down the streets of Ponyville to the movie theater.

The “leader” of the group was the lavender Alicorn, Twilight Sparkle. Even though she had become a princess a couple of years ago, she preferred the company of friends over the politicians and elite of Canterlot. That is, except for her mentor, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. Ever since she had ascended from a Unicorn to an Alicorn princess, countless brown-nosing social climbers tried to become friends with her to elevate their standings in the high class society. Fortunately, Twilight is smart enough to see through their selfish motives.

One thing that hasn’t changed was her relationship with Spike. Well, it did change, but for the better. Spike had feared that her duties as a Princess of Equestria would strain her relationship with her friends and with him. He was afraid that she would get her own staff and wouldn’t need him as her assistant anymore. However, she reassured him as she had done before that she would never send him away. He was more than her number one assistant; he was her son. When Spike went to the parallel world of Trotina, she had discovered what the dragon whom she had raised since he hatched meant to her. In fact, everyone learned something from Spike’s adventure.

The thrill-seeking blue Pegasus, Rainbow Dash, was overjoyed and somewhat envious that her counterpart was a member of that world’s aerial stunt team, the Wonderbolts. What surprised her and everypony else was that she had taken in Scootaloo as an adoptive sister. When Spike told them this at his welcome home party at Sugarcube Corner, Scootaloo was beyond thrilled and couldn’t stop talking about “how cool it would be to have Rainbow Dash as a big sister.” That part of the story had caused Rainbow Dash to stop her daydreaming about being a Wonderbolt and she watched Scootaloo in stunned silence as Spike told the rest of his story. She knew that the filly was her biggest fan and wanted her to take her under her wing. Scootaloo had even told her that she wanted the multicolored maned mare to be like a big sister to her, but she never realized that her fan wanted her to be literally become her big sister. When she tried to recall a moment when she had met Scootaloo’s family or a time when she had even mentioned them, she couldn’t think of one. She began to suspect that Scootaloo didn’t have a family. Sure, she had given her lifts to her neighborhood before, but never had actually seen where she lived.

When the party had ended, Dash volunteered to take the filly home. As usual, Scootaloo told her to drop her off in a random spot near where she said she lived and said that she would walk to rest of the way. Dash complied but secretly followed her as she walked down the streets and rounded a few corners. The whole time she was following her, she wished that her suspicions would be proven wrong. From the rooftops of Ponyville, she watched as Scootaloo passed house after house until she entered a large building: the orphanage. Rainbow Dash had always bragged about being tough and too cool for sappy sentimental moments, but when realized that her young friend was all alone, she bolted home and wept. It was then when Rainbow Dash learned why she was envious of her counterpart; she had a family. Spike told her that the other Rainbow Dash had a sister and a coltfriend and that meant more to her alternate self than being a Wonderbolt. Upon that revelation, she did some soul-searching and found that was also what she really wanted. It wasn’t long after that when Rainbow Dash actually did take Scootaloo in as her legal ward and adoptive sister. She still trained hard and eventually did become a Wonderbolt, but it wasn’t as important to her as having a family.

Everypony was happy for the two Pegasi, especial Applejack. The hardworking Earth Pony was the only one who didn’t really learn a lesson from Spike’s story. If anything, it just confirmed what she already knew. Out of the group of friends, her life was the least altered in the parallel world. She still worked hard on her family farm, Sweet Apple Acres, and her family was the most important thing in the world to her. To see her good friend discover the happiness that having family brings caused the blond mare’s heart to swell with pride.

As for the Cutie Mark Crusaders, they are now teenagers and had discovered that their special talent was helping other foals to understand their own talents. Upon discovering this, the trio earned a matching set of cutie marks at the same time; a red, pink, and purple shield bearing their own identifying symbol. However, they discovered that they also had a secondary talent. With Rainbow Dash’s guidance, Scootaloo learned that her cutie mark of a lightning bolt within a wing meant that she loved racing and doing tricks on her scooter. Sweetie Belle’s music note within in star meant that she was destined to be a great singer. Apple Bloom’s mark within her cutie mark was a heart within an apple bloom. It represented the young mare’s talent in artwork and her love of her family. They are still apart of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, which has grown to a considerable size, as leaders helping other foals to discover their special talents.

Over the past few years, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy hadn’t changed much. The pink party pony still is random as ever and yellow Pegasus still cares for her animals in her cottage by the Everfree Forest. However, their friend Rarity has certainly changed. She is now a well-known fashionista across Equestria and has begun a relationship with Spike the dragon. When he disappeared, she was consumed with regret for not returning his affection before. When he had returned, she confessed that she had feelings for him. They both agreed to start off slowly, for he was still rather small in size and often was mistaken for a baby due to his slow growth rate. Even though he was only a few years younger than her, ponies would assume that she was dating an infant. Fortunately, he has grown over the past few years. Even though he has not grown wings yet, he is now the size of a pony but still walks on his hind legs. Now that his body resembled his chronological and mental age, he and Rarity are able to be more open about their relationship.

Thankfully, nopony outright criticized Rarity for dating Spike. However, Spike would catch glimpse of ponies staring at them and would hear them whispering behind their backs. He realized that ponies weren’t talking about Rarity dating someone younger, but rather they were talking about her dating a dragon. Rarity simply brushed it off as mere gossip. In fact, she has been able to use the gossip to her advantage and increased her popularity within the high class society. The idea of her dating dragon gave her a special flair that the social elite seemed to rave about. However, Spike felt a little uneasy about the gossip. It wasn’t that he cared what other ponies thought about them, but it did remind him of something he experienced in Trotina. Something he longed to forget about. Something that still haunted his nightmares.

Spike shook his head to clear his thoughts. He was going to the movies with his marefirend and their friends and he didn’t want those memories to pester him while he enjoyed the film. Well, tried to enjoy it anyways. He could understand why Rarity and Fluttershy enjoyed the book series the film was adapted from. Rarity was a romantic and Fluttershy also enjoyed romance, even though she would be too shy to admit it. Twilight was a literary enthusiast, so naturally she would be excited to see a film version of any novel. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were going because the film starred teenaged heartthrobs and Spike assumed Rainbow Dash and Applejack were being dragged by Scootaloo and Apple Bloom into seeing the movie. Sure, Rainbow Dash enjoyed reading, but she normally detested anything lovey-dovey and he didn’t take Applejack for the “romantic” type. Spike knew Pinkie Pie would never miss an opportunity to have fun with her friends.

Sure enough, there was a line extending from the movie theater, but it wasn’t too long since Ponyville was a small town. It was growing late in the afternoon when the group took their place in the line. Spike sighed slightly disgruntled as he watched teenaged mares bounce up in down in anticipation as they waited in line. His only consolation was that Rarity was holding on to his arm affectionately. He saw the poster of the film on the outside wall of the theater. It had a teenaged mare standing between two young stallions. From what Spike had heard, the books were about a love triangle between a normal mare and a vampire and a wolfpony. Spike scoffed at the idea; how could vampires and wolfponies be love interests?

After a few minutes, the group was at the ticket booth. One by one, they paid the price for the tickets and headed into the theater. The place was rather packed and they had a hard time finding ten seats in a row. Spike took his seat by Rarity and braced himself for a very long two hours.

***

Meanwhile, a team of archeologists where making their way through the wilds of Trotsylvania. It was a region of Equestria in the Arctic North, in the mountains just east of the Crystal Empire. The valleys were filled with deep river chasms and vast forests and were covered in near perpetual winter. The province was scarcely populated and not just due to the cold. A dark history haunts the land from which many legends have emerged.

In around about way, those legends are what have brought the team of archeologists. A middle-aged Unicorn named Professor Dig Site led the team. He had a sandy coat and a graying brown mane. However, his mustache had complete turned gray. His cutie mark was of a hammer and chisel. He was accompanied by two assistants; Bedrock and Renny Field. Bedrock was a blue Earth Pony with a slate mane and he had a cutie mark of a two crossed pickaxes. Renny Field was a red Pegasus with a blond mane and her cutie mark was of a map and compass. The trio was wearing heavy coats and their saddles were filled with excavation tools. Bedrock was also pulling a cart so they could haul down some of the artifacts they hoped to find.

As they made their way through a remote mountain village, the trio could see their destination in the distance; an ominous castle on top of a dark mountain. The legends that surround the castle speak of a devil in the form of a pony that ruled this wintry land for centuries. It is Dig Site’s goal to disprove these myths and find the truth behind the historical figure known as “Dracula.”

“Are you going to the castle?” a gruff voice asked Dig Site. The sandy Unicorn turned to see an Earth Pony standing in the doorway of one of the houses.

“Why yes, my good sir,” he answered.

“No, you mustn’t go!” the villager warned. “There is an evil that sleeps there.”

“Oh please,” Bedrock scoffed as he rolled his eyes. “Don’t tell me you believe that Drac…”

“Ssshhh!” the villager urgently shushed the archeologist. “Do not speak his name!”

“Dracula, Dracula, Dracula!” Bedrock spiteful shouted. When he did this, Renny Field could hear a murmur. She looked around and could see a few ponies looking out from their doorways at the three explorers.

“Please, don’t go,” begged the stallion. “Our ancestors may have stopped the Beast long ago, but we fear that his evil still haunts the castle.”

“Oh come now.” It was Dig Site’s time to scoff. “Even if there was a monster living there at one point, you just said it was dead and I certainly don’t believe in ghosts!”

“You can’t kill what is already dead,” the villager said to the professor in a warning tone. “It is there, waiting for somepony foolish enough to waken it from its slumber.”

“Whatever,” the blue Earth Pony said with little interest. “We’re wasting time.”

“Right, let’s move on,” Professor Site said to his team and they continued down the path that lead out of the village and up to the mountain. Renny took one last look behind her and saw that a crowd had gather at the edge of the town, watching them with pleading looks as they left.

“Please, young filly,” an elderly mare called to her. “Don’t go! At least wait until morning!”

“I’m sorry, but we’re going to set up camp in the castle and we don’t want to hike up the trail in the dark,” she explained before she ran to catch up with her partners. It would take a couple hours to walk up the path and set up camp and the sun was already heading towards the western horizon.