• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,187 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,187

Hide and Seek with Applejack

The only sound that Twilight Sparkle could hear was a heart monitor beeping as she and her friends surrounded Fluttershy’s bed. When the lavender Alicorn princess was told by a panicking Cutie Mark Crusaders that Fluttershy was being taken to the hospital, she immediately abandoned her experiment and rushed to Ponyville Hospital to be with her dear friend. The other Bearers of the Elements of Harmony were also alerted by the teenaged mares and soon joined her. Twilight looked to the window and saw the morning sun rising over the rooftops. She sighed, realizing she had been awake all night watching over her unconscious friend. Her eyes scanned the room and she observed her friends. Pinkie Pie was curled up like a dog asleep on the floor. Her pink coat was duller than usual and her normally curly mane was straight signifying that she was severely distressed. Twilight couldn’t blame her for she felt the same way. Rainbow Dash was lying in a chair, her back braced against one arm and her hind legs were hanging over the other. Her front legs were crossed over her chest and she was staring at Fluttershy with bloodshot eyes. Like Twilight, Rainbow Dash didn’t sleep at all last night. Fluttershy was one of her oldest and dearest friends. To see her like this was almost too much for her. Rarity was sitting on the floor by Fluttershy’s side, holding her hoof. She had been gently stroking her friend’s hoof until she fell asleep with her head resting against the edge of the bed. Applejack was sitting with her back in the corner of the room with her hat pulled over her eyes telling Twilight that she was also asleep.

The door opened and Twilight and Rainbow Dash’s eyes jumped to the doctor entering the room. Applejack lifted her hat from her eyes to see who it was. When she saw the doctor, she got to her hooves and joined Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash at the doorway with the doctor.

“What is it, doctor?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“She’s going to be fine,” the brown Unicorn in the white coat reassured them. The three immediately released a sigh of relief.

“But doc, why did my sister and her friends find her unconscious on her couch?” Rainbow Dash questioned impatiently. “And where did those marks come from?”

“I’m not certain,” confessed the doctor. “Two other patients have already come in with similar symptoms.”

“Cheerilee and the train conductor,” Twilight said, remembering her investigation with Spike the day before the deaths of Count High N’Mighty. “Do you think there could be a connection?”

“It is possible,” the doctor admitted. “Maybe the conductor caught a new disease at one of the train’s stops and brought it here to Ponyville. The marks could be rash caused by the sickness. Perhaps it was passed on to Cheerilee and Fluttershy. But, then again, all tests show no sign of infection or disease.”

“How are the other two doing?” Twilight asked. By this point, their talking had wakened Pinkie Pie and Rarity and they had joined them. Rarity rubbed her neck which was sore from sleeping in an awkward position.

“They’ve regained consciousness and are getting stronger each day,” the doctor told them. “They are to be released in a few more days.”

“No,” Twilight Sparkle said with a shake of her head. “Don’t release them yet. If this is a new disease, then they need to be quarantined and put under observation. And do the same to anypony else that comes in with the same symptoms.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the doctor complied and then left the room.

“Twilight?” a barely audible voice whispered from behind them. The five snapped their heads around and saw Fluttershy weakly opening her eyes.

“Fluttershy!” the all exclaimed with joy as they rushed to her side.

“How are you feeling, Darling?” Rarity asked as she resumed her position at the bed, holding with one hoof her friend’s and gently caressing her mane with the other.

“I feel so tired,” the yellow Pegasus quietly said. “Like all the energy was drained from my body. What happened to me?”

“We were hopin’ you could tell us that, sugar cube” Applejack told her.

“I don’t remember,” Fluttershy admitted.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Pinkie Pie asked, her mane regaining its natural curliness from seeing her friend awake and talking.

“Spike was picking up Owlowiscious and then I was making tea for... oh!” she weakly exclaimed. “What happened to the girls? They were coming over for a sleepover.”

“They were the ones who found you and told us you were being taken to the hospital,” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Oh, I’m glad they’re okay,” Fluttershy sighed with relief. “But who brought me here?”

“I can answer that,” a voice said from the doorway. The Elements of Harmony looked to the door and saw Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe walking in.

“Inspector Clue Finder,” Twilight Sparkle said with recognition.

“Your Highness,” the olive unicorn greeted with a small bow of the head. “We were on our way to ask Miss Fluttershy a few questions when we saw those three young mares heading to her house. When we got there, we found them screaming and we found you out cold on your couch and then brought you here.”

“Thank you,” Fluttershy gratefully said to the investigators.

“Where were you since you brought her here?” Twilight asked them.

“The doctors wouldn’t let us in,” Cold Case explained. “I guess they let you stay past visiting hours because you’re a princess.”

“Now if you don’t mind, we have some questions,” Gum Shoe said in an interrogating voice.

“Questions? What do you want to know?” Twilight asked.

“We want to know about the ponies she saw heading into the Everfree Forest on the night of Count High N’Mighty’s murder,” Gum Shoe explained. All eyes were on Fluttershy, but unfortunately, she had fallen back to sleep, her energy spent. She looked so peaceful as she slept. She had a serene look on her face and she was breathing softly. Everypony almost “d’awwed” at the sight. “Miss Fluttershy? Miss Fluttershy!?”

“Let her rest, Gum Shoe,” Clue Finder told his subordinate. Disappointed, the bubblegum pink mare with the minty green mane huffed but said no more. “As we understand it, the dragon was the last one at the cottage before we arrived. Where can we find him?”

“Spike? I told him to stay at the castle and keep an eye on things while I was gone,” Twilight answered the question. As they were talking Cold Case went over to examine Fluttershy. He discretely pulled out a tape measure from his pack and measured the marks on her neck. He pulled a notepad and pencil out with his silvery magic and wrote a few numbers down.

“Uh huh and when would be good time to get a hold of him?” Clue Finder asked.

“I’m certain he will be by as soon as visiting hours began,” Twilight told him. “He’ll want to see his friend if they’re in the hospital. Though, you might be able to catch him before he leaves the castle.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Clue Finder thanked as he and his team left. I’m sure we’ll be seeing him real soon, he thought to himself with a triumphant smirk. As they walked down the hallways of the hospital, Clue Finder turned to Cold Case. “Got the measurements?”

“You know I do,” the blue Unicorn confirmed.

“Good.”

“How do you plan on us getting the suspect’s measurements?” Cold Case asked.

“We simply tell him to open his mouth and say ‘ah,’” Gum Shoe answered. “Once we get the measurements of his teeth, we’ll have evidence that we need. If doesn’t want to cooperate, we’ll have the guards detain him for failing to cooperate in an investigation and get them anyway.”

“He was the last one at Fluttershy house,” explained Clue Finder. “Unless something else swooped in and attacked her within the few minutes from the time he left and the time we got there, then that pretty much confirms it.”

“Yeah, but I still think we need a little more evidence,” protested Cold Case. “We should ask the townsponies about the dragon and see if he has a history of violent behavior.”

“Right, and we should interview each of those mares,” agreed Clue Finder. “I have a feeling they might have something else we can use.”

“Well, don’t we want to go back and do it right now?” questioned Gum Shoe. “We’ve got them all in one place.”

“No, we’ll wait until they go home so we can interview them one by one. For now, let them be there for their friend. In the meantime, I want you to go around and ask about the dragon. I will tell the guard to round up a search party to check the forest. I’m afraid we can’t wait any longer. Three ponies went in and we don’t know if they ever came out. Cold Case, I want you to go to the library and get the dragon’s teeth measurements. We’ll meet back at the inn.”

As the three investigators left the hospital, they went their separate ways to fulfill their respective tasks. Cold Case headed straight to the palace and knocked on the door of the castle grown from crystalline tree. It wasn’t long before the door opened and Spike was standing in the doorway.

“Hello,” the dragon greeted and then looked to the sign in the window. “The castle is opened to the public, you didn’t have to knock.”

“I know, but I prefer to knock first,” Cold Case responded.

“Fair enough. Can I help you?” Spike asked and then pointed to the hall behind him that led to the public library. “We have lots of books. Do you need one?”

“No, I’m Cold Case. I’m part of the investigation team,” he introduced himself.

“Oh right, I saw you and your partners the other day.”

“I just came from visiting Fluttershy in the hospital and I...”

“Is she alright?” Spike interrupted. “I heard something happened to her last night and I was about to go visit her.”

“She’s fine. She was resting when we were there,” the investigator explained. Cold Case pulled out his tape measure from his pack and looked at the two fangs protruding from Spike’s mouth. “Do you mind opening your mouth for a second?”

“Um... not at all. Why?” Spike asked before opening his mouth wide, revealing the sharp teeth within. The tape measure immediately went to the teeth and Cold Case quickly jotted down some notes.

“Thank you, that will be all,” Cold Case said as he packed his equipment away and left Spike standing in the doorway confused by the pony’s strange actions. Spike shrugged and went back inside to the study. He walked by the desk that had Twilight’s latest experiments on it. Various beakers, burners, books, notes, and test tubes cluttered the desktop. Rarity would call it “organized chaos.” One of the various objects was a strange metal ball with a bunch of wires and glass tubes filled with different colored liquids sticking out of it. Spike didn’t exactly know what his mother figure was working on, but as far as he could remember from her scientific rambling, it was some sort of solar energy capacitor. It was supposed to be a small model for a future solar powered generator.

Imagine, Spike thought as he looked at the strange device. Being able to have sunlight in the middle of the night. Spike looked over at Owlowiscious on his perch and said, “Hey, I’m going to the hospital to see Fluttershy. Can you keep an eye on things until Twilight and I get back?”

“Who,” the owl hooted which Spike took to mean “yes.”

At the Ponyville Inn, the team of investigators regrouped.

“I’ve sent the guards into the forest,” announced Clue Finder.

“I’ve got the measurements of the dragon’s teeth,” Cold Case reported. “With the size of the bite radius and the shape of the teeth, it’s very likely the bites on the bodies were made by the dragon.”

“And I went around and asked some questions,” added Gum Shoe. “Apparently, the dragon went out of control and nearly destroyed the town a few years ago!”

“Alright, there’s just one last thing I want to do,” Clue Finder told his partners. “Tomorrow, we’ll interview Rarity. He was at her house on the night of the murder. We’ll find out what exactly they talked about and then we’ll go on from there.”

*****

Late that night at Sweet Apple Acres, Apple Bloom laid in her bed tossing in turning as she slept. In her dreams, she saw two red eyes staring at her from the darkness. She could also see a set of teeth just below those fiery eyes. Blood was dripping from them and the corners of the mouth of this unseen creature curled up in a malevolent smile. The red maned teenager didn’t know why she was seeing this in her dreams. She had also seen it in her dreams last night. What she didn’t know, or rather didn’t remember, was that she had actually seen those eyes last night in Fluttershy’s cottage.

Frightened by the nightmare and unable to bare the sight of those awful eyes anymore, Apple Bloom awoke with a start. She panted as sweat rolled down her forehead. She looked around her room and saw all was as it should be and no red eyes were to be found. She laid back down and tried to fall back to sleep, but found herself unable to do so due to the adrenaline rush caused by her nightmare. After rolling around in her bed restlessly for half an hour, she let out a frustrated groan and got out of bed. If she couldn’t sleep, she might as well find something to do. She walked over to her bedroom window and opened it. She rested her chin on her forelegs as she gazed up at the starry night sky. Her gaze turned downward and she looked over her family’s farm. She could see the silos, the picket fence, and the countless apple trees in the orchard. Amongst the endless rows of apple trees, she saw two red eyes looking back at her! It was the same eyes from her dreams. Apple Bloom gasped as she stared down in terror at the eyes.

Apple Bloom, a compelling voice echoed in her head. Apple Bloom, come to me.

Apple Bloom was about to scream, but when she heard the voice in her head, her eyes glazed over and she said in a dreamy voice, “Yes, Master.” She left the window and headed out her bedroom door. In a trance, she head down the hallway, passing her siblings’ bedrooms and walked down the stairs. She opened the front door and walked outside.

Applejack was sleeping soundly until she heard a door shut. She mumbled and opened her eyes, trying to figure out what the sound was. She got out of bed and opened her bedroom door. She noticed that Apple Bloom’s bedroom door was opened and went to investigate. She found the bed unmade and Apple Bloom was nowhere to be found. Realizing that the sound she heard was her little sister walking out the front door, she ran to the window and saw her walking away from the farm house.

“Now where does she think she’s goin’ at this time of night?” Applejack asked herself. Grumbling in irritation, the orange pony ran down the stairs to follow her sister. “Ah bet she’s sneakin’ out see her coltfriend, whatever his name is. When Ah catch them, Ah swear Ah’ll tan both their hides.” When Applejack opened the front door, she saw that her sister was already heading into the orchard. “Apple Bloom! Apple Bloom, you come back here right now!” However, her sister didn’t heed her call and disappeared into the maze of trees. “Dagnabbit!”

Applejack sprinted to the orchard in pursuit of the yellow young mare. When she entered the rows of trees, she strained her eyes to see in the dark. In the distance, she saw something yellow and red walk amongst the trees. She raced in the direction of the figure, but when she got there, she didn’t find Apple Bloom. Again Applejack looked through the rows of apple trees and caught a glimpse of Apple Bloom as she disappeared behind another tree. Applejack growled in frustration, thinking her younger sister was playing a childish prank on her. She sprinted to the last place she saw Apple Bloom but to once again come up empty hoofed. Applejack stamped her hoofs and snorted in aggravation, but then saw Apple Bloom again. This time, she was headed deeper into the orchard, getting closer and closer to the Everfree Forest. Applejack continued to play her sister’s game of hide and seek until she came to the edge of the Everfree Forest. There she found her sister with her back towards her and staring into the creepy forest.

“Apple Bloom! What’s the meanin’ of runnin’ out into the orchard in the middle of the night!?” Applejack demanded. Apple Bloom remained silent. “Apple Bloom! Answer me when Ah’m speakin’ to you!” Apple Bloom finally turned around and looked at her with half lidded eyes that had a vacant expression in them and she had a small goofy smile on her lips. “Apple Bloom? What are...?” Before she could finish her question, a dark stallion walked out the shadows and stood by the yellow teenager.

“Good evening, Applejack,” the dark gray Unicorn greeted her. He was wearing all black clothing and had a black mane with a matching goatee. His eyes were glowing blue and for some reason, they gave Applejack the chills.

“Who are you? Get away from my sister!” Applejack demanded. Angrily, Applejack charged the stallion and lunged at him. To her surprise, the blond Earth Pony fell through the mysterious stallion as though he wasn’t there. Applejack landed face first onto the ground and she got up and spat out a mouthful of dirt. Turning around, she saw that the Unicorn was looking down at her with a smug look.

“Amusing,” the stallion mocked. “But I would not try that again.” He placed a hoof on Apple Bloom’s chin.

“Don’t touch my sister or Ah’ll...” Applejack started to threaten.

“Or you will do what?” the dark Unicorn challenged. His hoof changed into a monster’s claw and he pressed a sharp talon into Apple Bloom’s chin, her yellow coat being indented by the pressure.

“If you hurt her Ah’ll make sure you’ll pay!” Applejack darkly growled, angered by seeing that her sister’s safety was in jeopardy.

“What an empty threat,” gloated the Unicorn. “It seems that you do not comprehend the situation you are in. If I wanted to, I could kill the both of you.”

“Then why don’t you? What do you want?” Applejack asked.

“I want... you,” the black maned stallion told her.

“What?” Applejack asked in confusion and surprise.

“I used your sister to draw you to me,” he explained. “Surrender now or I will take your sister and then I will take you anyway.” Applejack looked at her sister’s dazed face. The creature tapped his claw on her chin impatiently. Seeing no way out, she closed her eyes and hung her head.

“Do whatever you want to me, but please, don’t hurt her,” Applejack pleaded as a tear fell from her closed eyes.

“A smart decision,” the fiend commented and released his claw from Apple Bloom’s chin. “Return to your bed.”

“Yes, Master,” Apple Bloom droned in a hollow tone as she walked back to the farm house. It sickened Applejack to hear her baby sister speak in such a lifeless way. Once Apple Bloom was out of sight, the dark stallion approached Applejack, circling her like a hungry predator.

“I commend you for dedication to your sister,” he complimented. “I would not be surprised if you were the Element of Loyalty.” Hear this, Applejack’s eyes snapped opened with a revelation; the marks on the neck, the attacks, and Fluttershy was an Element of Harmony. He was a vampire and he was targeting the Elements of Harmony! Before she could react, Applejack felt a searing pain in her neck as the vampire sneaked his teeth into her. Unlike Fluttershy or Cheerilee, Applejack wasn’t hypnotized when Dracula began to feed on her. She felt the extreme pressure of his mouth clamping down on her neck and the pain of his fangs cutting into her flesh. Applejack tried to buck him off, but he had her lock into his vice like grip and her strength was quickly fading. She tried to scream but couldn’t find the breath to do so. Her head started to spin as she felt the blood being drained from her body. Her eyelids drooped and her limbs went limp. As the vampire continued to drink her blood, the pain went away and was replaced by pleasure as his power overtook her mind. Her thoughts clouded over and a dreamy smile appeared on her face as she gave into his control. When he had his fill, he laid Applejack’s sleeping body on the ground. “Fear not, my dear. In the morning, you will not remember this encounter. For now, sleep well.”