• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,177 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,177

The Confrontation with Twilight Sparkle

The shadows lengthened in the Everfree Forest as the last remaining light of twilight started to fade away into night and Zecora was in a hurry to return to her tree hut in the depths of the wild and unpredictable forest before the more dangerous animals began to hunt. The zebra had been gathering mushrooms, herbs, roots, and other various materials in order to make her potions and her dinner. She was wearing her traveling cloak and a saddle where she contained the ingredients. Looking up through the thick canopy of the forest, she saw that the day was spent and decided that she had better be going. She returned to the path that would lead her to her home and started to walk until she noticed something on the side of the trail.

“Oh, what luck has come to me?” She exclaimed happily as she crouched down to look at a lovely red flower that had golden flame-like patterns speckled on the petals. “Could this be the rare Phoenix Flower that I see?” Overjoyed at discovery, Zecora pulled out a bag from her pack and collected a few trimmings from the beautiful scarlet flower. She smiled contently at her good fortune as she returned the bag to her pack and once again headed home. She started to hum a merry tune from her homeland as she walked, thinking of how the flower could be put to good use. However, she stopped humming when she heard a noise coming from the trees above:

Crack!

Snap!

Thud!

A blue figure fell from the trees and landed in front the surprised zebra in a heap of branches, leaves, and feathers. When Zecora saw a mane of many colors, she realized that what had landed in front of her was the Pegasus Rainbow Dash. The herbalist ran to the pony and pulled the broken branches off of her.

“Dear friend of mine,” Zecora said urgently to Rainbow Dash as she untangled her from the branches. “Please tell me you’re fine!” As Zecora removed the debris, she saw that the blue mare was in one piece, but she was covered in scraps and bruises, leaves and twigs were tangled in her mane, and she was unconscious. Zecora started to brush the leaves away, but then noticing on her friend’s neck when she moved the mane. On her neck were two still bleeding bite marks. The zebra was confused by the strange marks, but tried to awaken her friend. “Rainbow Dash, can you hear me?” Despite Zecora gently shaking her, the Wonderbolt remained unresponsive. Seeing that she wasn’t waking up, Zecora lifted the unconscious mare onto her back and started to carry her to her hut. “I will take you home to find a remedy.”

As she lifted Rainbow Dash onto her back, a sound broke the silence of the forest. It was a sound that Zecora knew well from living in the Everfree Forest for these past few years. It was a howl, and that could only mean one thing: Timberwolves. Cautiously, Zecora scanned the trees for any sign of the enchanted wooden canines. However, she couldn’t see anything in the darkness between the trees. Timberwolves’ eyes glow green, but she didn’t see the luminescent eyes. She stretched forward her muzzle and sniffed. She knew Timberwolves had horrible breath that could be smelled from afar, but she could only smell the normal earthy scent of the forest.

She came to the conclusion that the Timberwolves must be far off and figured it was safe to move on. Although there was no sign of the enchanted predators, Zecora remained cautious as she made her way down the path. Her eyes darted from one side of the trail to the other as she carefully watched for any sign of movement within the trees. She paid close attention to every little sound that she heard, freezing every time a bird would take flight or a rabbit would rustle in a bush. Zecora let out a cry of alarm and stepped back as something jumped out from behind a tree and stood in the middle of the path in front of her! After taking a few deep breathes, she saw that this creature was small, had brown fur, and a bushy tail. Zecora laughed at herself her letting a squirrel startle her.

“Oh one so small,” she said to the squirrel that was looking up at her with its big black eyes. “You shouldn’t be here at all. It is late and those were Timberwolves I fear. You should find shelter somewhere near.”

It the little squirrel made a chattering sound and then scurried off. Zecora resumed on her way and it wasn’t long before she could see through the trees the glow of her home in the distance. It would only be a few more minutes before her hut would appear around the bend of the trail. The zebra sighed with relief, knowing that safety was only a short distance away.

Just as Zecora’s concerns faded away, they came immediately back with the blood chilling sound of a howl. Zecora froze mid-step, and slowly turned in the direction of the sound: behind her. It had grown darker since she found Rainbow Dash, but she could definitely see something standing in the middle of the path in the distance. It walked on four legs, had black fur, and a canine snout. Zecora recognized the shape of the animal’s silhouette as a wolf’s, not a Timberwolf, but a real wolf. It was a strange sight to see a non-enchanted wooden wolf in the Everfree Forest, and to see one made Zecora apprehensive. She wondered why a lone wolf would be doing in the middle of a forest that was filled with of all sorts of dangerous supernatural creatures.

Regardless, it was an animal and Zecora had a trick to deal with situations such as this. She reached into her cloak and pulled out a green powder. She blew the powder in the direction of the wolf and it swirled in the air until it took the form of a manticore in a threatening stance. Zecora smirked, thinking that the bluff would scare off the predator, but to her surprise, she saw that the wolf remained where it was. Again, she reached into her cloak and pulled out another powder. By this point, the wolf started to approach the zebra carrying the Pegasus. Trying another trick, Zecora threw the powder down at the ground before her and there was a loud pop along with a flash of light. To her dismay, the wolf continued its approach. It was then that Zecora could see that the wolf’s eyes were glowing red. Her eyes widened as she came to the realization that this was no normal wolf and she turned to run down the path in the direction of her home. She knew she wasn’t far away and that she had a lead on the wolf, but she was weighed down from carrying an unconscious pony on her back.

Zecora’s heart raced and she panted as she ran for her life and for Rainbow Dash’s as well. She glanced behind her and saw that the red eyed wolf was gaining on her. Looking back ahead, she could see her tree hut coming into view as she rounded the bend. Again, she looked back and the wolf was nearly bearing down on her. Its lips were curled back into a feral snarl and drool dripped from its white fangs. Judging by the rate it was gaining on her, Zecora wasn’t sure if should would make it. She faced straight ahead, put all of her energy into her legs, and sprinted as fast as she could. She ducked her head in and crashed into the door of her home with her shoulder.

With a loud bang, the door swung open and Zecora tumbled onto the floor of her hut with Rainbow Dash landing beside her. Recovering from the collision, Zecora frantically search around for a weapon, but saw the wolf standing outside the door. She gasped and protectively shielded Rainbow Dash with her own body. Instead of entering the tree and finishing them off, the wolf looked about the threshold of the hut. After looking at the door-frame, the wolf glared at Zecora and snarled at her with hatred. Foiled, it turned and walked away, vanishing into thin air as it left. Zecora closed her eyes and exhaled in relief as she hugged Rainbow Dash’s unconscious body.

*****

Spike panted and sweated nervously as he hid behind a few trashcans in an alleyway. The dragon cautiously peaked over the metal cans and saw a group of ponies carrying torches and pitchforks run by. Thankfully, they didn’t see him. Taking the opportunity, the purple dragon ran down the alley and hid behind another corner. On his back, he was carrying a bag. He couldn’t believe this was happening. First, he discovers that a vampire, Dracula none the less, was there in Ponyville, and now he was being blamed for the murders.

Carefully looking around the corner, Spike looked to see if the coast was clear. He looked both ways, but he didn’t see anypony out in the street, not yet at least. He waited and heard the sound of another group coming down the road. He could see their shadows casted on the sides of the thatched roofed buildings by the light of the torches. He ducked behind the corner and waited for them to pass.

This group was lead by Clue Finder. He stood at the opening of the alleyway, followed by a few guards, and looked down it. At the other end, he could see another group pass by the other opening. Not seeing the dragon, he motioned for his group to continue onwards. After they were gone, Spike poked his head out from between two buildings and moved to the exit of the alley again. He watched Clue Finder’s group walked down the road and then looked the other way. Seeing that nopony was coming, he quickly ran across the street to the alleyway on the other side. He made his way toward the other end, trying to make it out of Ponyville undetected. Ducking by another building, Spike slumped against the wall and sighed.

“Psst!” he heard a familiar voice whisper from the entrance of the alley. “Spike, are ya down there?”

“It’s us!” another familiar voice whispered in a more high pitched tone. Spike recognized the voices as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. He stuck his head out from behind the building and saw the three founding members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Hurry!” he whispered as he urgently beckoned them to come to him. They looked around first to make sure they weren’t being watched and then ran to the dragon’s hiding place.

“Boy, are we glad to see you’re okay,” Scootaloo told him. “We don’t believe you could hurt anypony!”

“Ssh! Keep your voices down,” he told the three teenagers.

“Spike, what’s going on?” Sweetie Belle asked with concern for her scaly friend. “Those police ponies are saying you murdered somepony, but we know you wouldn’t do that.” Spike looked at the concerned Unicorn’s big watering eyes and quivering lip and lamented for having to tell them the terrifying news.

“Girls, I was right,” he started with a heavy sigh. “There is a vampire in Ponyville.” The girls immediately were frightened and whimpered. “He attack Cheerilee, killed that Count guy, and now is going after the Elements of Harmony.”

“Ya mean he’s the one who attack mah sister?” Apple Bloom asked, shocked at the information.

“Yes,” Spike confirmed. “And he’ll be after the others next.”

“You mean Rarity?” Sweetie Belle squeaked.

“And Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo added, just as concerned as her friends.

“Yes, and my mother as well,” Spike told them, thinking about Twilight.

“What are we going to do Spike?” Sweetie Belle asked, near panicking.

“First, I got to get out of Ponyville and find a safe house,” the dragon explained.

“A safe house?” Sweetie Belle repeated, unfamiliar with the term.

“You know, a place where ponies hide out when they’re in trouble,” Scootaloo clarified. “Like in those cop movies.”

“Oh yeah,” Sweetie Belle said as she remember all of the crime dramas she had seen.

“Hey, Ah know a place,” Apple Bloom announced. “The clubhouse! It’s out in the orchard out where nopony can see it. Even if they come lookin’ for ya our home, they wouldn’t know about the clubhouse.”

“That’s prefect, Apple Bloom!” Spike exclaimed.

“Come on, this way!” she said as she headed off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres. “We’ll sneak out through here.”

The trio and the fugitive made their way down the alleys until they reached the edge of town. They could see the path to the apple orchards, but waited until no one was looking before dashing out from behind the building. Instead of taking the road to the farm, they ran through the trees so that they wouldn’t be seen. It became easier to hide the closer they got the farm due to the abundance of apple trees providing cover.

They reached the clubhouse in a backfield of the farm and closed the door behind them. The three teenaged mares closed the blinds and Spike opened the pack he had been carrying. He looked at the contents, making sure that nothing had been damaged in his escape.

“Whatcha got in there?” Scootaloo asked in curiosity.

“Actually, I’m not sure myself,” Spike admitted to the orange Pegasus. “When they came to arrest me, I grabbed what I could and made a break for it.”

The guards started to approach Spike and he nervously backed away. Clue Finder smirked with anticipation as he watched the guards draw their weapons. Before they could reach the retreating dragon, the door slammed and Spike locked it. Spike ran upstairs and grabbed a spar pack and went back down to stuff it with all that he thought he would need. He crammed his vampire search notes, a few books, that strange metal ball Twilight had on the desk, a few gems for food, garlic, some bits, and other miscellaneous items. He heard the guards banging on the door to the library and saw that it was about to give way. Out of time, he ran up stairs and opened the balcony window. The mob was still gathered out in front of the tree, but they noticed the dragon jump down from the back balcony and then run away from them.

“You got to find Twilight and the others. Here,” Spike said as he pulled the garlands of garlic and the notes from the bag. “Take these. Give the notes to Twilight and make sure everypony has some garlic. I’ll wait here.” The three took the supplies and ran off of to find the others.

*****

Twilight returned to her palace in a flash of magenta magic. She had been at Carousel Boutique, warning Rarity of the vampire.

“You mean the vampire was in my home?” Rarity asked in alarm once she heard that Prince Vlad was none other than the infamous Dracula.

“Yes, and that’s why you have got to leave and stay somewhere safe,” Twilight explained to her. “I don’t know that much about vampire lore, but I know in some stories that they can’t enter a house unless they’re invited.”

“But then how was he able to enter mine?” the white Unicorn questioned. “I certainly didn’t invite him.” Twilight thought about this, but couldn’t come up with an explanation.

“It doesn’t matter now. He knows where you live and will be coming after you. You have got to go somewhere safe.”

After thinking for a second, Rarity said, “I’ll go to my parents. I’m sure they’ll be glad to have me there for awhile. But what about you? What are you going to do next?”

“I’ll drop back by the castle and tell Spike to help me find Rainbow Dash. While he’s doing that, I’ll go see Professor Dig Site. He and his assistants are experts in ancient Equestrian history, including Trotsylvania. Maybe they’ll know something useful about vampire lore.”

“Dig Site?” Rarity asked, suddenly remembering something. “Is one of his assistants a red Pegasus with blond mane and a cutie mark of a map and compass?”

“That’s Renny Field,” Twilight identified the pony Rarity described. “Yes she is. Why do you ask?”

“She was here… with Dracula.”

Now that the Alicorn had returned to her home, she saw that the door was busted open and there were books and papers scattered everywhere. On top of that, there were two guards and Gum Shoe searching the castle.

“What’s the meaning of this?” the princess demanded.

“Your Highness,” guard said as he marched up to Twilight. “I’m afraid I’m going to ask you to leave as we search the premises.”

“What do you mean? This is my home!” Twilight told the guard, very agitated by the intrusion.

“Did you know that you were harboring a murderer?” Gum Shoe questioned.

“What are you talking about?” Twilight asked, both confused and shocked.

“Ah, you’re back,” Clue Finder said as he and Cold Case walked through the busted in door. “Excellent.”

“Would somepony care to explain to me what’s going on!?” Twilight shouted.

“We have evidence that links the dragon to the murder of Count High N’Mighty,” Cold Case told her flatly.

“…What!?

“I’m sorry to say, but it seems your pet lizard has gone on a rampage,” Clue Finder said to Twilight, still riding on his ambition fueled high.

“Spike is not a pet!”

“Look, I can understand that you’ve grown attached to the animal,” Clue Finder said patronizingly. “They may be
cute when they’re small, but do get bigger. Don’t forget, he is a fire breathing dragon. It’s in their nature to be dangerous predators.”

“Don’t you dare speak about my son that way!” Twilight Sparkle screamed, her maternal instincts kicking into overdrive. “I know Spike! I’ve known him since the day I hatched his egg, and he is not dangerous!”

“I know you want to defend him, Princess, but we have evidence,” Clue Finder told her, becoming annoyed by her stubbornness. “Even you, a Princess of Equestria, are subject to the law.”

“But he didn’t do it!” the princess protested.

“Princess, you can’t protect him like this. He’s a murderer, and it’s only a matter of time before kills again. We’ve already formed search parties to find him.” Hearing this, Twilight ran to the open door and saw groups of ponies searching the town. It shocked her to see ponies she knew very well carrying torches and pitchforks as they hunted her son as though he were a monster.

“You’ve assembled a mob!? I can’t believe you! This has to stop right now!”

“Now listen here, Princess!” the olive Unicorn raised his voice, irritated by the mare’s lack of cooperation.

I am the princess. You listen to me!” Clue Finder had heard of the Royal Canterlot Voice, but never had experienced it. The room fell silent as the three investigators and their accompanying guards were paralyzed by the intensity of the enrage Alicorn’s voice. Their eyes widened, their mouths clamped shut, and the guards stood at attention as the angry Alicorn addressed their stupidity. “Spike is innocent, I can prove it. The first victim, All Aboard, was on a train when he was attacked. Spike was here in Ponyville when that happened. When Cheerilee was attacked, Spike was here at home taking shelter from the storm. He didn’t attack Fluttershy, because Owlowiscious with him the whole time!” The mentioned owl hooted in confirmation. “He didn’t attack Applejack or Pinkie Pie, because he was home all night asleep in his bed. I know, because I was up all night doing research!”

“But... What about...” Clue Finder timidly tried to interject.

“The murders? I know he didn’t do it, because I know who did them!” Twilight declared. “It was a vampire!”

“Don’t ridiculous,” Clue Finder scoffed, regaining some of his confidence. “These murders were done by a dragon, not an imaginary creature.”

“Vampires are real,” Twilight proclaimed. “It was him who Fluttershy saw go into the Everfree Forest. Rarity saw him have an argument with the Count in her store, and I sensed him here in the library the other night! Don’t you understand? You’re hunting the wrong suspect!”

“But...” Clue Finder tried again tried to squeeze in a word.

“Shut up!” Twilight then grabbed a quill and a piece of parchment in her magic aura and began to angrily write a letter. After finishing the letter, she groaned in anger when she remembered her son wasn’t there to send the letter, and it was the investigators’ fault! She turned to one the guards, who were still standing nervously at attention. “You!” she barked, causing the guard to flinch. “Take this to Princess Celestia immediately and tell her it’s urgent!”

“But, what about...” the guard started to protest, but was cut off when he was encased by a magical magenta aura and was dragged out of the castle by Twilight Sparkle. In a rage, Twilight used her magic to hurl the guard into the air in the direction of the castle with a shout of fury. Luckily, the guard she grabbed was a Pegasus and he started to fly off in the direction of Canterlot.

“Tell the search parties to bring Spike home to me,” Twilight ordered the remaining guard. “He is not to be harmed in any way. Tell him that I’m looking for him. And for heaven’s sake, tell them to lose the torches and pitchforks!”

“Where are you going, Your Highness?” the guards cautiously asked as she walked away.

“To see somepony who might know something!” she said, not even looking back. “Oh, and tell Clue Finder he’s paying to fix my door!”

Twilight made her way to the residence of Professor Dig Site. She had met the sandy colored unicorn a few times and remembered him being quite knowledgeable on the subjects of history and folklore. She looked up at the houses, but didn’t see any lights on.

“Professor Site? Renny Field?” she called as she knocked on the door, but there was no answer. She tried the handle, and found the door to be unlocked. “Hello, anypony home?” She stepped into the waiting room and used her magic to light a lamp. “It’s an emergency and I really need to talk with you!” Her voice echoed throughout the building. She walked into another room and saw a few opened crates. Inside one, she found a bunch of golden chalices, artifacts, and bits. Curious, she levitated one of the golden coins and saw it was an ancient Equestrian bit. She flipped the coin around and saw the image of a sword circled by a dragon; the symbol of Vlad Vanguard. Dread filled her heart as it was confirmed that Rarity did indeed see Renny with Dracula.

Fearing for their safety, she rushed up stairs, seeking the archeologists. When she got to the second level, she franticly opened the bedroom doors of Dig Site and Bedrock, but found them empty. When she open Renny Field’s door, Twilight saw the red Pegasus in her bed.

“Miss Field!” she shouted as she ran to the mare’s bedside, but then gasped when she was that she was lying very still. Her eyes were closed and her head was turned to the side, exposing her neck and revealing the two bite marks. Twilight placed an ear to Renny’s chest and had her fears confirmed when she found no heartbeat.

“It is very rude to enter uninvited, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” a dark voice said from behind her. Twilight spun around and saw the vampire standing in the middle room, his eyes glowing blue.

“Voivode Vlad Vanguard, I presume,” the princess addressed the undead warlord.

“You have done your research. I am honored,” Dracula said impressed. “I cannot enter a home unless I am invited. I wish you ponies had the same courtesy as me.”

“How did you enter Rarity’s home or mine, for that matter?” Twilight asked as she took a defensive pose.

“The sign said ‘open,’ so I came in,” the dark stallion explained. In her mind, Twilight was impressed by his cleverness for finding that loophole and cursed him for exploiting it. Dracula noticed the Alicorn’s stance and sneered. “Do you really think that you can challenge me? I am impressed that you are an Alicorn, but I can also sense that you are not as powerful as the Royal Sisters.”

“I’m powerful enough,” Twilight declared as she charged her horn. She shot barrage of magical blasts at the vampire, but he moved with an unnatural sped and avoided the attack. The shots left smoldering holes in the wall behind the vampire.

“Tell me, how is it that you are an Alicorn?” Dracula asked, honestly curious.

“I personified the Magic of Friendship so I was chosen to be raised from a Unicorn to Alicorn status just like my sister-in-law before me,” Twilight explained. “She was a Pegasus, but she represented the Magic of Love so much that she was made an Alicorn. We understood these aspects of magic so well and demonstrated great leadership capabilities that my mentor, Princess Celestia, made us Princesses of Equestria.”

“Celestia,” Dracula snarled at the name. “The Solar Tyrant of the Accursed Day.” With a deep roar, the vampire lunged at the lavender Alicorn, but she generated a force field around her. The attacking monster collided against the magenta sphere and dissipated into shadows. Twilight lowered the shield and looked about the room for her adversary. The shadows formed together and the fiend reappeared in the corner of the ceiling, looking down at Twilight. “You think you can destroy me with your spells?” Her eyes snapped up to the ceiling and saw the vampire looking down at her with red eyes, a gnarled face, and a mouth filled with razor-sharp fangs. “I, who served the crown! I, who commanded armies hundreds of years before you were born!”

“Your armies were defeated!” she shouted up at the red eyed monster. “You tortured and impaled thousands of ponies!”

“I was betrayed,” Dracula growled. “Look what your princess has done to me!”

“No, your war with Celestia is over. It is time you paid for your crimes!” Twilight yelled as she shot another blast at Dracula. His body dissolved into mist and the blast passed harmless through him and burnt the wall behind him. The mist filled the room and Twilight used her magic to generate a breeze to clear the fog, revealing the vampire towering over her with his glowing eyes. Twilight gasped and immediately back away, averting her eyes. She knew vampires had the power of hypnotism and didn’t dare to risk looking into his eyes. However, the distraction proved disastrous as she felt his hoof smack across her face with the strength of twenty stallions. Twilight crashed through the wall and land in the hallway with a groan of pain. Before she could recover, she found herself being lifted by a red magical aura and saw Dracula walking out of the room with his horn glowing red. Her body was then pinned to the wall by the magic and Dracula stood before her.

“You may be an Alicorn,” he whispered to her. “But you are not like your precious mentor. You are not as powerful as her, you are not as experienced as her, and...” he stopped to bare his teeth at her. “You are not immortal like her.”

Twilight screamed as two fangs pierced her neck. She tried to struggle, but her strength was leaving her and her mind was clouding over. Mustn’t give in... she thought as she fought the vampire’s spell, but found her will weakening. Mustn’t... give... in... Her muscles went limp, her eyes grew heavy, and she smiled drunkenly as she succumbed to intoxicating feeling of the vampire’s influence. The red aura vanished and the Alicorn slumped to the floor asleep.

“With you out of the way, there is just one more order of business to attend to before I can begin,” Dracula said to the sleeping Twilight before he again vanished into the night.