• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 5,149 Views, 289 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dracula - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders must band together and save Ponyville when an ancient evil awakens.

  • ...
5
 289
 5,149

Chapter Notes

Hey everybody! Just to let you know, I'll be starting on the next installment of the Legend of Spike very soon. It will be called the Legend of Spike: Krazoa Island and it will be based on the Nintendo game Star Fox Adventures. Until next time, have some notes, trivia, and commentary.

Chapter One

• I used the music from the movie “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” to help narrate this chapter.

Paragraph 6-9 from 1:41-2:37

Paragraph 10 from 2:37-3:05

Paragraph 11-20 from 3:05-4:15 (the woman vocalizing is Nightmare Moon seducing Vlad)

Paragraph 21 from 4:15-4:48

Paragraph 22 from 4:48-5:45

Paragraph 23-25 from 5:45-6:42

• “Blood is the life” is a popular Dracula line.
• “Dracula” means “the Son of the Dragon,” but in this story, it just means “Dragon.”
• This first chapter was directly inspired by the opening scene of the 1992 film.

Chapter Two

• Following up with Discord’s Mask, I had Rainbow Dash adopt Scootaloo.
• Since the CMC are teenagers now, I wanted to give them Cutie Marks that I think works best for them.
• To clarify, this story takes places about five years after Discord’s Mask and when the show would have ended.
• The movie they’re going to see is obliviously an Equestrian version of “Twilight.”
• Renny Field is based off the character from “Dracula,” Renfield.
• The music I use is from Castlevania 64. Though most gamers hate it, I enjoy it. You actually fight vampires in it, and I don’t mean the occasional boss like in most of other Castlevania games, but as normal enemies.
• Of course I had to include the required scene of the mountain villagers trying to warn the travelers of the spooky castle, but just to have them ignore the warning and go anyway.

Chapter Three

• Spike’s reaction to the movie sums up my reaction to it.
• Even though Spike and Rarity are in a relationship, some of the ponies are not too keen to the idea of a pony being with a dragon.
• Apparently, Sweetie Belle supports Team Edward and Scootaloo is on Team Jacob.
• “When did vampires and wolfponies become so attractive?” Spike’s thoughts is a commentary on how vampires and werewolves went from being strictly horror monsters to being the subjects of cheesy teen love stories.
• “I simply know a good book when I see one. I even remember when I saw it for the first time. There was something about the title that really spoke to me. It was though it was made just for me, like it had my name written all over it.” A Twilight and “Twilight” joke.
• Fluttershy’s complaints of the movie are the same as mine.
• “The Song of Healing” returns from Discord’s Mask as Twilight and Spike’s mother/son theme.
• Twilight “squees” in this chapter.

Chapter Four

• The conversation between Dig Site, Bedrock, and Renny Field is a little real life history lesson. The real Dracula, Vlad III, wasn’t a Count or a Prince. He was a Voivode, which was both the political and military leader of a province. Translated, it means “Warlord.”
• The songs in this chapter are from “Ogre Battle 64.” It’s a great game that no one seems to know anything about. The first song is to set an eerie mood when they see the impaled pony skeletons, another reference to Vlad Tepes.
• The scene of Renny’s blood falling on Dracula’s heart and causing to regrow his flesh was inspired by a scene from “The Batman vs. Dracula.” The song from “Ogre Battle 64” playing in this scene was to give the impression that something terrible and powerful had been unleashed.
• Vampires roar in this story. I can’t stand it when they hiss in movies. I face palm whenever I hear them do it. They’re supposed to be these savage man-beasts from beyond the grave, not snakes. Again, I drew inspiration from the 1992 Dracula film. In it, Dracula makes unearthly snarls, howls, and roars.
• Instead of just having just two sharp canine teeth, my vampires’ incisors are almost as long and pointed as their fangs, but only use all of them when they want to kill.

Chapter Five

• Spike’s nightmare is the same as the Trial of Laughter during the Depression Cycle of Discord’s Mask and his nightmare from the last chapter.
• Luna’s theme is “the Goddess Appears,” also known as “the Fairy Fountain Theme,” from the Zelda games. In the previous game, I used it as Celestia’s theme because she was playing the part of the Great Fairy. Here, I used the “Twilight Princess” version called “Recover the Light” because I wanted Luna’s version of the song to be more dreamlike.
• It was hard for me to write Spike’s conversation with Twilight about having to lose her because I had recently lost my own mother.
• Even though Luna has reconciled with Celestia and is accepted by the ponies of Equestria, she is still harboring a great deal of pain and emotional baggage.

Chapter Six

• The title of this chapter refers to Spike’s dinner with Rarity and Dracula’s dinner on the train.
• The train scene was based off of the ship scene from “Dracula.” The passenger car is even named the “Demeter.”
• The conductor is the character All Aboard, who is seen in a few episodes of the show.
• All Aboard does the Wilhelm Scream when Dracula pulls him into the coffin.

• In my head canon, Commander Hurricane married Princess Platinum and became the King and Queen of Equestria with Celestia and Luna being their daughters.

• Rarity telling Spike that dragons can breed with about any creature due to their magical nature is a concept from Dungeons & Dragons. In this case, Kirins are dragon-unicorn hybrids. In the context of the story, it is easier for a dragon to breed with unicorns than with other ponies because of the unicorn’s magic. Why is all this Kirin stuff important? You’ll see someday.
• The most often forgotten of a vampire’s powers is the ability to command the weather.

Chapter Seven

• The name of the chapter is the same as the song from the movie, and yes, it made me jump when I listened to it the for the first time.
• Snowflake/Roid Rage and Thunderlane make an appearance as a member of the weather team.
• Pound and Pumpkin are youngsters now in this story.
• This chapter was based on the scene where Lucy was attacked by Dracula.

Chapter Eight

• Seriously, if you saw two marks on someone’s neck, what is the first thing that comes to mind?
• The song I used here is from “Swan Lake,” the theme of the 1931 film.• Remember, Spike met a vampirized Vinyl Scratch and Octavia in Discord’s Mask.
• Dracula watching “Twilight.”

Chapter Nine

• Rarity uses her line from “A Dog and Pony Show.”
• Dracula avoided standing in front of a mirror because his lack of a reflection would give him away.
• Count High N’Mighty, who was only mentioned in Discord’s Mask, makes his entrance in this chapter. For his theme, I looked for sophisticated, yet pompous sounding music.
• The music that plays when Dracula confronts N’Mighty is Golbez’s theme from Final Fantasy 4.
• Like in the book, Dracula wears all black, has a goatee, and blue eyes that become red.

Chapter Ten

• Dracula finds a loophole in the “can’t enter unless invited” rule and exploits it.
• One of the books Spike was reading was the “Necronomicon Ex-Mortis” from the “Evil Dead” series.
• The song playing in the club is “Dracula” by the Gorillaz.
• “I never drink... cider.” This is homage to another famous Dracula line.
• Vinyl Scratch almost became a vampire like her counterpart in Discord’s Mask.

Chapter Eleven

• Spike references the Canterlot Wedding in this chapter.
• Twilight “squees” again.

She’s so adorkable.
• Rarity uses her “worst possible thing” line.
• I wanted to use a different Dracula theme for this chapter. Even though it’s from Mel Brooks’ Dracula parody, it still fits.

Chapter Twelve

• We’re introduced to Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe in this chapter.
• Fun Fact: Cold Case mentions that manticores have multiple rows of teeth. This comes from mythology.
• The Mane Six mention the disasters from “Swarm of the Century,” “Spike at your Service,” “It’s About Time,” “Boast Busters,” and “Friendship is Magic.”
• Fluttershy’s friend, Harry the Bear, is mentioned.
• It’s clear from the start that the investigators are prejudice against Spike.
• The song I used is a reprise of part of the introduction song. It played in the first chapter when Vlad Vanguard was seduced by Nightmare Moon into becoming Dracula. I used it here as Vlad and Luna’s theme.
• Dracula’s dream sequence was inspired by Alucard’s dream from “Hellsing.” Warning: It's very bloody.
• The Elements of Harmony take the place of crosses in this story.

Chapter Thirteen

• The titles for the next six chapters are spoilers for who was going to be bitten in them. This one was Fluttershy.
• Since Discord’s Mask was based on a Zelda game, I decided to use some Zelda music in this story as well.
• I originally planned on having Dracula pretend to be a wounded animal so Fluttershy would take him into her home. I also planned on him killing Angel. Even though I hate that rabbit, it would have been too cruel to Fluttershy. Besides, I’m reluctant in killing off any characters from the show. That’s why most of the deaths are OCs.
• Again, Dracula uses the “I never drink...” line.
• “Your precious blood,” is another famous Dracula line.
• I don’t actually ship Rumble with Scootaloo. I was just doing it up for laughs.
• Dracula hypnotizes Apple Bloom to set up for the next chapter.
• I get the gnarled face with protruding eyebrow ridges and cheeks from a lot of modern vampire movies, at least the scary ones. It’s even used in the 1992 film. The eyes that look like “two dark pools of blood with a fiery light shining from within them” was inspired by the book “It” by Stephen King. When Pennywise turns into Dracula, his eyes are described as two blood clots.

Chapter Fourteen

• As indicated by the title, Applejack gets bit in this chapter.
• The solar energy capacitor is a setup for the final battle.
• Dracula uses the hypnotic spell he placed on Apple Bloom in the last chapter to use her to lure Applejack to him.
• Again, I referenced the Zelda series with the music for this chapter. I wanted a creepy song that had a disorientating sound to it represent Applejack’s frantic search for her sister in the orchard. It also fits because it’s the “Forest Temple Theme”. Is it me, or is it creepier than the “Shadow Temple Theme?”
• Applejack falling through Dracula is another reference to the book. The first mate of the ship tried to stab Dracula, but went through him as though he was made of air. During the night time, vampires can become intangible and are invulnerable to attack.
• Dracula’s comment about how Applejack could be the Element of Loyalty is a nod to those who think Rainbow Dash and Applejack’s Element are mixed up. In a way, I could see RD being the Element of Honesty due to her bluntness and AJ being Loyalty due to her dependability.

Chapter Fifteen

• The title is a reference to “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” It also points out that Pinkie is the one that going to be bit.
• I use the cliché of the adult not seeing the monster just to have it go right behind them when they look away.
• Rarity sees the investigators’ true colors when they confront her.
• I used music here that would show the urgency of the situation.
• The group is finally convinced that there is a vampire at this point.
• If anybody think the townspony are acting out of character by forming a mob, just remember “A Friend in Deed” and “Putting Your Hoof Down.” In one episode, the ponies are the friendliest things ever. In the very next episode, they are complete jerks. Yeah, ponies are fickle.

Chapter Sixteen

• Judging by the title, RD gets it.
• The book “Dracula” by Bram Stoker itself gets referenced here as “Dracula” by Buck Stoker.
• Spitfire foreshadows the next story, Krazoa Island, in this chapter.
• Rainbow Dash and Soarin were a couple in Trotina. I kind of hinted that they had something between in this world as well. Soarin was also one of Spike’s partners, along with the Trotinan Spike and Big Macintosh, in Discord’s Mask.
• All the “what’s” are a reference to Doctor Who, indicated by the link in the chapter.

• Since this is a Dracula story, I just had to have a bat scene. Rainbow Dash fights it to the music from Castlevania 64 that plays when you fight vampire bosses. It’s called “First Struggle” or “Nosferatu,” which fits because this is the first of three fight scenes with Dracula.

Chapter Seventeen

• This is Twilight’s chapter to get bitten.
• Zecora finding the Phoenix Flower is foreshadowing for how the victims are healed.
• The wolf chase scene was one of the first scenes I planned for the story, along with Twilight’s confrontation with Dracula, Dracula’s awakening, Dracula’s death scene, and Spike going “...What!?”
• The music that plays when Twilight fights Dracula is called “Second Struggle (Hellish Hallucinations),” follow the example set by RD’s fight.
• The dialogue between Dracula and Twilight comes from the 1992 film.
• Though I didn’t plan it that way, Dracula defeating Twilight is symbolic of my preference of “Dracula” the book over the “Twilight” series.

Chapter Eighteen

• The final of “the Mane Six Get Bitten” chapters. It’s Rarity’s turn.
• The music I used is from “Zombies Ate my Neighbors.” It is based on the song “Dies Irae,” better known as the opening theme from “The Shining.”

In the game, it’s the castle theme. What can I say? Organ music goes great with vampire stories.

Chapter Nineteen

• The title is a reference to Spike vs. Dracula. Spike’s a dragon and Dracula means “the Dragon.”
• I used the Castlevania Judgment version of “Bloody Tears” because Spike is going vampire hunting and the song helps to paint an image of Spike running to save the mare he loves. But, I was very tempted to use this version:

• On the way to the castle, Spike passes by the challenges the Mane Six face in the second episode.
• “Clair de Lune” is my favorite piece of classical music.
• “His destruction is her salvation.” This is also from the 1992 film.
• Dracula says his “I am Dracula” line to Spike.
• I couldn’t resist. I just had to use the “What is a man?” line from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

• For the third and final battle, I used “Third Struggle (Dance of Illusions)” from Castlevania 64. “Dance of Illusion” is often Dracula’s battle theme in the Castlevania series. I thought of using another version, but I already use First and Second Struggle, so why not Third Struggle as well? Besides, this version as an organ and a choir.
• Just like a Castlevania game, Dracula has a final form. Jump to 2:19 to get an idea what the shadow dragon kind of looks like.

Chapter Twenty

• The title refers to Luna’s farewell to Dracula and Spike’s farewell to Equestria.
• The scene where Luna witnesses Dracula’s death and the music that plays is from the final scene of the 1992 film.
• Renny Field changed her name to Lady Crimson just like her sire changed his name from Vlad Vanguard to Dracula.
• There are three possibilities to what happens to Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe; either Lady Crimson simply feeds on them and then leaves them be, she drains them dry, or she turns them into vampires. Each option gets progressively worse for them. Maybe there’s even a different fate per investigator. I’ll leave it up to the readers to decide which fate they like best.
• Technically, Dracula is still ''alive.'' I use that term loosely since he really has been dead for a thousand years. The only way to truly slay a vampire is to cut off its head. I thought about having Luna finishing him off, but I decided to let there be the possibility of Dracula returning because he always seems to come back.
• The mercenaries are obviously General Pepper, Peppy Hare, and Slippy Toad from the “Star Fox” series. Even Fox McCloud is mentioned as “Mac Cloud.” Their airship is based off the Star Fox Team’s flagship, “The Great Fox.”
• This ending is direct lead into my next story.

Comments ( 29 )

• There are three possibilities to what happens to Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe; either Lady Crimson simply feeds on them and then leaves them be, she drains them dry, or she turns them into vampires. Each option gets progressively worse for them. Maybe there’s even a different fate per investigator. I’ll leave it up to the readers to decide which fate they like best.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks what happened to Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe. With three ponies and three possible fates for each of them, there is a total of 27 combinations of what could have happened. Which one do you pick and why?

3238284 My choice, Lady Crimson drained all three of them dry. Serves the fuckers right.

3238330 I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

In the context of the story, it is easier for a dragon to breed with unicorns than with other ponies because of the unicorn’s magic. Why is all this Kirin stuff important? You’ll see someday.

Rarity: Spike... Please come back. We all miss you. I miss you.
Spike: Rarity, this is something I have to-
Rarity: SPIKE, I'M PREGNANT!
Spike: *eye twitch*
Rarity: Oh and um… you're the… father…

That or he encounters a kirin in his adventures, tells Rarity that and she goes to make sure he comes back safely.

3238613
:rainbowlaugh: That's hilarious! But no, that's not quite what's going to happen.

Why. Did it have to end this way why!

Look forward to the one

I really loved this story. It was so much better than practically all the vampony fanfics I've read. I however felt that it was too short and there were a few problems I saw. Dracula wants to raise an army to take his revenge on celestia do he gets a few zombies, skeletons, timberwolves and one vampire who doesn't even show up. Some army that was. I would personally love to see a story written about Renny. There's quite a bit of room for the future there. It might also be fun to see a "what if" kind of story like what it Dracula beat spike and the story continued from there. You might find it fun to take a semi unoriginal story and make an original spin off of your own. I might fiddle around with it if you decide not to if that's alright. I loved the story very much. I take it you really love the whole vampire theme since you seem to be an aficionado for them. Great story, keep on writing. I'll go read the first story now.

3240087
Dracula had quite a lot of skeleton soldiers but Spike stopped him before he could summon more monsters and make more vampires and zombies.

I really don't mind if you write a spin-off about Lady Crimson. Remember, I'm interested what everyone thinks happened to Clue Finder's team. I would like to see what you come up with. Or you can have Lady Crimson make an appearance in ''What Silence Hides.'' Send me a message and we can discuss it.

3747865
Clearly you've seen Bram Stoker's Dracula as well. There's more quotes from the movie in the story. Can you find them all?

3749073 You say you have played though Castlevania 64. So please enlighten me... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DROP THE MANDRAGORA AND NITRO IN FRONT OF THE CRACKED WALL TO BLOW IT UP?!?

3753954
You go up to the wall and press right C.

If you have a choice, play Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. It's what I call the ''complete'' version of Castlevania 64. It has four characters, more levels, a somewhat better camera, and music.

(Reads short description)

an ancient evil awakens

You don't meancache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/1182325-bigthumbnail.jpg

3759132
Ha! Not quite I'm afraid.

3800168

:rainbowlaugh:
Thank you for your comments. I tried to base Dracula off of his portrayal in the novel, the 1992 film, and the historic Vlad Tepes.
3800311
I honestly have never played the Ace Attorney games. I chose the names Clue Finder, Cold Case, and Gum Shoe because they were detective related. Gum Shoe is supposed to be the overzealous rookie of the trio. As I've said before, I've left their fates up to the reader. What is the fate you have chosen for them?

3801645 My best guess? They will be either "be made full of dead" or end up screwing things up worse than an incompetent Golemancer.

Well played, old friend. Well played.

4111469
Well, at least I had a good excuse.

4412692 Too late, I don't remember.

4895016 i was a little worried about how the story would go because i usually don't like vampire storys but after reading it all i really like this story ^_^

4895023
Well, thank you very much.

Just finished the story and I really liked it!:yay:

6008297

And the undead are a lot like the Hydra you kill one and two more just take it's place.

i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/736/469/229.jpg

I really enjoyed the story and eager to see what happens next in the series. The only thing I didn't like was how the ending played out on Spike's end. He doesn't even read the letter; that was one big ass assumption that just pisses me off. Yea he probably feels betrayed and all but come on. You'd think Spike would be more deductive than that all things considered.

7901643
It could be, but no. Gum Shoe, Cold Case, and Clue Finder are various police/detective terms.

9924374
The red armor with the helmet that looks like a bat.

overall it was a good story as I just spent the last 4 hours binge reading it from start to end, however I am disappointed in the ending in the fact i truly hoped it would end something like "as vlad prepared to strike down spike and start his conquest luna appears and orders him to stop, even though he became evil his devotion to luna was stronger.. time skip 3 days.. in front of all vlad kneels before luna and says do with me as you will, i accept any punishment you deem worthy even if it be death.". so ya not a fan of how you ended it but it wasn't my story and sadly the whole Dracula theme seemed more of a side bit for your series which bums me out cuz I only found this due to me searching Dracula in the story search. hey overall good story it was still time well spent. best regards, darkbroney666

Login or register to comment