• Published 1st Jun 2013
  • 827 Views, 8 Comments

PonyHammer 40,000: Magic of War II - Dragon Heart



It is the forty-first millenium, and there is no more friendship, only... WAR!

  • ...
7
 8
 827

The Howling Doom

The Hive Alpha was just as tough as all the others, if not more, but it fell to the blades and bullets of the Blood Phoenixes in a matter of minutes. They returned aboard the Ponigeddon.

"Well done, Pony Marines." said Pegalos. "Our Unicorns sensed a massive tremor in the hive consciousness, and scans indicate that the swarm has gone into disarray. We cannot be certain how long before another Hive Alpha is created. But we are making for you at all speed, and every moment counts. Pegalos out."

Rainbow Dash sighed. "Victory has its own price." She said.

"Speak your mind Rainbow Dash." Applejack said insistently.

"With each victory," Rainbow Dash explained, "I can feel more and more of myself slipping away."

"Continue." said Pinkie, intrigued with the Pegasus's feelings.

"In battle..." Rainbow Dash continued, "It used to be a great rush, a thrill. Now more and more, it's become..."

"Purer." Applejack finished.

"Simpler." Pinkie added.

"Yes," said Rainbow Dash, "both of those. I go to a place where my spirit and body are one, a perfect weapon honed by powers far beyond me."

"You are leaving behind the remnants of your life before the Chapter found you." said Applejack. "A great honor, but melancholy."

"And not without costs." said Pinkie. "You are not one of them, anymore."

"Them." Rainbow Dash repeated, "Ponies. Mares. No, I'm not quite one of them anymore."

"You are purging yourself of a weakness, Rainbow Dash," Hoovitus pointed out as he looked out a window into space, "but there are more to come. You cling to hope, which just brings despair." He turned and faced his comrades. "We are weapons. There is the Empress and there is war. Nothing more."

"There is the Chapter, Hoovitus." said Applejack.

Hoovitus grew angry. "And its secrets. And its lies. Who ever heard of a Chapter that has forgotten its Patriarch? We would sooner forget our own name! There is something dark and hidden there. And look at Captain Nule, a shadow of his former self who can barely stay conscious for a single battle. That's what heroism gets you. War is all we are. Killing is all we are good for. The rest is delusion."

"Maybe..." said Rainbow Dash, "But I will cling to hope for a while longer, I think. And if the secrets of the Chapter cost me that... well, I will still stand with my siblings. All of them."

"As will we all." said Applejack. "As will we all."

Another problem appeared on the surface of Salika, but it wasn't Paranids this time. Hammerheart brought the targeted location into full view.

"Commander Hammerheart," said Pegalos, "it seems the Eldeer have not been driven off after all. The xenos have summoned their daemonic Avatar, a towering warrior of flame. The Avatar and its war host are destroying everything in their path. If the Avatar remains loose, Salika will soon be nothing but a charred cinder. This will be one of the most deadliest opponents you ever face, Commander, but we cannot allow Salika to be reduced to ash. Destroy the Avatar."