• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 692 Views, 8 Comments

Fractured Loyalties - scootaloogie



Taken from this world so soon, Twilight lies dormant. Her husband searching endlessly to change the events that happened. What can he do?

  • ...
0
 8
 692

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was a peaceful day in Ponyville, the birds were chirping, the sun was shining, and the citizens were just getting up as the sun rose over the hills. The sound of wubbs could be heard coming from Octavia and Vinyl’s house, disturbing the families around them. The warm sun passed through the glass in the Ponyville library, basking its orange glow on the bookshelves and furniture. Twilight stirred when the orange rays of the rising sun hit her face. A low groan escaped Twilight, her eyes blinded by the sun, opening them right at the window next to the bed. Twilight covered her face rolling over; it was then that she realized that something was already amiss. The other spot on her bed, normally filled by her husband Ignis, was left empty. The sheets were ruffled and mangled, more than likely from Twilight during the night.

“Morning, Twilight.” A high pitched voice called to her from the doorway. It was the unmistakable voice of her number one assistant. Spike had gotten bigger in the time since she got back together with Ignis. Spike was now at least as tall as she was. He might’ve been getting bigger but he was still the same faithful assistant she had known. Spike's scales glimmered in the sunlight. The reflections caught Twilight by surprise while Spike yanked the covers off.

“Ugh good morning Spike.” Twilight groaned. Not the normal one to sleep in on a beautiful day like this. Her usual spontaneous and hurried nature had gone downhill about five months ago. Twilight managed to roll herself out of bed. Her belly swollen and hanging down from the rest of her body. She placed a hoof gently on her stomach and rubbed gently. Twilight looked around her room, the pony manikin that Ignis used to store his armor was blank. Spike could see the worry starting to build up on Twilight’s face, putting a claw on her shoulder to reassure her.

“I haven’t seen him Twilight, but I just got up a bit before you.” Spike then realized that his attempt to calm the lavender mare down had only served in producing more panic.

“Spike this is a big day." "You know what’s planned for today, right?” Twilight, using her magic levitated a calendar over in her paranoid and panicking state, shoved the calendar in Spike's face.

“Twilight, I know what’s happening today.” Spike said bluntly, pushing the calendar out of his face. “I’m sure Ignis has a good reason for not being home right now.” In truth, Spike wasn’t sure what would keep Ignis from coming home. Twilight pushed past Spike and was headed for the door going down stairs. Spike was right on her hooves, passing his room as they made it to the stairs and headed down. The Library, since Twilight and Ignis had gotten married, had changed greatly. It had been Celestia’s wedding gift to them. Using her magic, Celestia had added another level to the Library giving it a better living area and even gave Spike his own room. The library was still what you saw when you entered, except now there were more books stocked inside the shelves.

Twilight continued down the stairs into their living room, stopping just before she made it down the stairs. The living area wasn’t big but it was just the right size for a new couple, and it had room to add another bedroom if they wished. Twilight and Ignis had done just that. For the first year they used the spare room as a store room. Although once they decided to add one more to the family, it quickly became a family project. To the left of Twilight was their kitchen where Ignis would make some of his famous dinners. Ignis had even made Spike a rather large gem cake on his birthday. Twilight felt Spike bump into her from behind, nudging her down a stair. It was then that Twilight found Ignis. In the center of the living area was a large couch. One that would fit two ponies and a dragon easily. Lying on the couch was Ignis, still dressed in his guard armor. He was fast asleep on the couch, his mane, a messy pile of orange and yellow. Twilight stood there smiling gently at the sight before her. Twilight knew that Ignis slept on the couch so that he wouldn’t wake her when he got in bed. Twilight slowly walked up to Ignis, the sound of him softly snoring made her chuckle. Ignis was always thinking about her, especially now that Twilight was expecting their first foal.

Ignis groaned, rolling around on the couch. “Mmmm, Twilight.” Twilight chuckled, nuzzling against Ignis gently. Ignis stirred from his sleep seeing his wife standing over him with a warm and caring smile. “Morning Twilight.” Groaned Ignis, stretching out his hooves, giving Twilight a passionate kiss.

“Ignis you didn’t have to sleep on the couch. You could’ve just come to bed.” Twilight pursed her lips.

“I didn’t want to wake you. Besides you need your rest, especially since you’re eating for two.” Ignis smiled, placing a hoof on Twilight’s belly.

“Ignis, you’ve still got a few hours until we need to meet my friends at the train station. Go upstairs and lay down on the bed silly.”

“I’m not going to bed unless you’re coming with me.” Ignis bit at Twilight’s mane. Ignis, holding her mane in his mouth, gave her a provocative look as he did.

“Ignis, you naughty stallion! You know we can’t, we’ve got that lunch with everypony at Canterlot Castle today.” Said Twilight.

“But Twilight, we haven’t had any…ahem…’private time’ together in over a month.” Ignis grumbled. Ignis’ eyes looked to Twilight giving her the saddest look he could muster.

“Oh don’t give me that look Ignis.” Twilight stared at Ignis. Her stare, cutting into him and his resolve with almost the same strength as Fluttershy. Ignis grumbled, letting go of Twilight’s mane, he rolled over and huffed. Twilight pursed her lips, and then rolled her eyes. Ignis, Luna’s top knight was laying there…pouting of all things. Twilight kneeled, resting her head on Ignis’ neck and she nipped at his ear. “I promise Ignis, I’ll make it up to you. We’ll have a night to ourselves, kind of like an IOU.” Ignis rolled off the couch, his armor clinking together when he moved. Ignis looked at Twilight; pondering her statement he raised an eyebrow.

“Alright Twi, you win this one. But for this IOU I’m wanting to…” Ignis leaned in and whispered in Twilight’s ear. Ignis did this so Spike wouldn’t be able to hear and it was a good thing he did. Twilight’s face turned beet red. Twilight’s eyes widened a look of shock on her face. Twilight tried to object to Ignis’ suggestion, stuttering badly her hooves shuffling on the wood floor. “Oh Twi, I know all your secrets and kinkiness, and I plan to have as much fun with them as possible.” Ignis chuckled, walking past Spike who had a very confused look on his face. Twilight was too flustered to say anything. Luckily a familiar voice called to her from the library. Twilight headed downstairs, greeted by the smiling faces of Rarity and AppleJack. The two mares were waiting patiently, smiling as they saw Twilight coming down the stairs. AppleJack was only wearing a red bandanna around her neck. Rarity on the other hoof had on one of her fancy dresses. The dress itself was a bright blue with pale yellow trimming and pattern work. A pale yellow saddle sat on her back, the final accent to match the dress.

“Good morning Twilight. How are you and the little one doing today?”

“The foal’s doing fine Rarity. I should ask why you’re so overdressed for this lunch.” Twilight chuckled.
“Ya Rarity, why are ya so dressed up? The princesses said they didn’t want us to be all fancy, it’s only lunch.”

“At Canterlot Castle, AppleJack. I’m not going to present myself to the royalty like a backyard resident in outback town like you.” Rarity scoffed.

“Outback town!? Rarity this bandanna happens to be my mothers.” AppleJack growled, storming out of the Library.

“Rarity I’d suggest apologizing to AppleJack and then changing into something less fancy. What would happen if you got that dress dirty? Shining and Cadence will be there with my niece Lily. Remember what happened last time?” Twilight said in a stern voice. Rarity was drawn back to a year ago when she first met Lily. It was something very vivid; Rarity was wearing her new fashion dress a white blouse, which was just made the other day. The next thing she knew Lily smiled and vomited all over the dress ruining it. Rarity cringed at the thought and quickly ran out the door back to her boutique. Twilight was laughing the entire time, decided it was best to start getting ready for the lunch. Twilight got ready as quick as she could; she was wanting to give Ignis plenty of time to get ready too. Twilight had decided to wear the yellow dress that Rarity had fixed up for her. The dress had been given a little more room to accommodate Twilight’s growing belly, Twilight had her mane up in a ponytail just the way Ignis liked it.

The hours seemed to go by before she had to wake Ignis up. He’d come out of the tub dripping wet with a big grin on his face. Ignis ended up chasing Twilight around the bedroom before finishing getting ready. Ignis had on his guard jacket that he’d been given when he first joined Luna’s knights, though it had to be altered a few times over the years. It was a black and blue jacket that had Luna’s mark embroidered on the left side of the collar and her Lunar republic symbol on the right. The expectant couple left the library and made their way towards the train station. AppleJack and the rest of their friends were eagerly awaiting their arrival. Twilight hugged each one of her friends, Ignis giving the same to them as well. Ignis followed Twilight and the others listening to them clucking like a group of hens being corralled into a pen, and Ignis was the sheep dog. Ignis took his seat next to Twilight, before long both of them were bombarded with questions.

“Twilight, Twilight, Twilight! Are you going to tell your big brother today?...Huh, huh, huh?” Pinkie yelled. Her hooves were digging into the back of the chair, Ignis was sure that the pink mare could easily snap that in two if she was any more excited.

“Yes Pinkie, I do plan to tell Shining about our foal.” Twilight chuckled. “Besides I can’t wait. Any longer and I wouldn’t be able to hide it anymore. It’s only thanks to Rarity altering my dress for today that I’m able to keep it mostly hidden.” Twilight rubbed her belly. She was right, even with Rarity’s adjustments it still held a little tight to Twilight’s belly. Thankfully though it only made her seem like she’d put on a few pounds and wasn’t five months pregnant.

“Twilight, um…are you sure this is such a good idea?” Fluttershy chimed in quietly.

“Yeah Sugarcube, your big brother could steam about this for all we know.” AppleJack worried.

“Are you kidding AJ, I think Twilight’s got guts for doing this. I mean Shining didn’t even tell her he was getting married.” Rainbow looked at her friend and gave her a hoof bump. “You show him not to mess with you Twi.” Rainbow wanted nothing more than to stick it to Shining, especially after how Twilight freaked out when she first found out about the wedding.

“This is also part payback for Luna and Celestia.” Ignis chimed in. He remembered a few weeks before the two princesses had teamed up to prank the Midnight Guard captain. It sent chills up his spine just thinking about it. He was called into the throne room and saw both of the princesses standing there waiting for him to enter. Ignis had a lump in his throat, just yesterday he’d dumped syrup and white feathers on Luna turning her into a chicken. The resulting laughing fit that Ignis and the other guards were having was returned with Luna yelling at him in her royal Canterlot voice. Luna let Ignis know that she would make him regret doing that to her. Ignis had been dreading it, since it took Luna two days to get un-stuck.

Celestia stomped her hoof once Ignis was close enough to them. “You’ve over stepped your bounds in pranking this time Ignis!” Celestia was using the royal Canterlot voice, it was never head from her before and it made Ignis’ knees quake in fear. Ignis could see Luna in tears, still apparently upset about the prank.

“I’m sorry your majesty, but it was just a harmless…” Ignis was cut off by Celestia silencing him.

“As punishment you will be stripped of your rank and armor. You’re no longer a part of the guard. Furthermore I’m banishing you to the moon for a decade.” Celestia’s face was as stern as a rock, showing no emotion.

“Wait, what about Twilight!? She’s my wife you can’t just split us up like this.” Ignis was panicking. He didn’t want to be separated from the love of his life. She depended on him for making all of the money to live.

“Twilight is a very resourceful pony. I’m sure she’ll find a way to manage, she did just fine before you came along.” Celestia stared at Ignis. Her words cut into Ignis, like they were fatal wounds being dealt to him. Celestia charged her horn, Ignis objected, panicking with tears running down his cheeks. Celestia sent an orb of magic at Ignis. All Ignis could do was close his eyes and wait for the orb to hit him. Ignis opened one eye when nothing happened to see the orb floating above him. The orb then exploded, raining confetti down upon him. Ignis was stupefied, he wasn’t sure what was going on, first he was being removed from Equestria and the next minute had confetti in his mane.

Ignis grit his teeth at the thought of how badly they’d pranked him. Ignis was ready to spill this surprise to them today; it was in his mind the ultimate payback. The train finally stopped at the Canterlot station and let everypony off. The walk to the castle wasn’t long, but the trek up the stairs into the castle was taxing on Twilight. Even with Ignis letting Twilight lean on him she was still breathing heavily once they made it to the top. “You guys go on ahead. We’ll catch up once Twilight’s rested okay.” Ignis had Twilight lay down so that she could catch her breath. Ignis walked over to one of the guards and requested a glass of water for Twilight. Once the guard left he heard Twilight scream. Ignis turned around and the sight before his eyes was nothing but anger. Standing in front of Twilight was the one and only God of Chaos himself. “Discord!” Ignis yelled, storming over to his wife and the Dracquness. Ignis glared at Discord shooting daggers with his eyes, but like always it had no effect on Discord. The god of chaos had taken Twilight’s mane and made it into a large lollipop and was licking it and biting small chunks off.

“Oh come on Ignis this is one of my favorite flavors. Mhmm it’s so sweet yet sour, it just tickles me pink.” Discord laughed, upon the word pink his whole body changed to a bright pink. Twilight turned a deep red and demanded that Discord return her mane to its proper place. Discord disappeared and reappeared behind Ignis. “Ignis you’re far too high strung. Relax, have some fun and cause some chaos.” Discord snapped his fingers and in an instant Twilight and Ignis’ manes had changed places. Ignis growled in frustration, his horn glowing in its orange aura.

“Discord, that’s enough!” A blue mare, walked up to them her light and pale blue mane and tail offsetting her blue coat. Her red eyes glared at Discord, she was completely different towards Discord. Nothing like the heart with an arrow tattoo on her right foreleg would indicate. Ignis’ second in command Frost Shard. Her name and cutie mark, multiple shards of ice, weren’t just for show. Frost was known for being a cold hearted fighter on the battlefield and was the best ice magic user in all of Equestria. “Discord fix everything right now got it.” Discord objected but Frost held her ground. When it came to Discord, Frost was one of the few that could keep him in line. Her ice magic had the ability to keep him encased in ice, it was a rare ability but one of the reasons Luna had chosen her for the guard. Discord grumbled and snapped his fingers giving Twilight and Ignis their appropriate manes. “Thank you Discord. I know you like to have fun but not today okay, you can have your fun tomorrow since today is special.”

Discord appeared next to Twilight shrinking down to match her height. “Of course how could I forget that today you’re telling the princesses and your brother about this.” Discord placed his claw on Twilight’s swollen belly, rubbing gently. He might’ve been the god of chaos but he wasn’t cruel, it was quite the opposite. Discord had been tickled pink about the idea of seeing the foal, only so he could teach it to play funny jokes on Ignis and Twilight. “Well Twilight enjoy the moment today. Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve got to finish setting things up for lunch.” With a snap of his fingers Discord was gone again.

Twilight got up and walked through the castle with Ignis and Frost, making their way to the Dining Hall. Luckily for Twilight, her brother and sister-in-law weren’t there yet. It was a long train ride from the Crystal Empire. Twilight took her seat next to Fluttershy while Ignis went to talk to his fellow knights. Solar Flare was the first to approach Ignis and Frost, the pale yellow unicorn stallion as always his red and grey mane and tail were unkempt and long. The other knight with him was one of Ignis’ closest friends, Star Seeker. The black Pegasus was known for being very superstitious about a lot of things. To counteract his fear he wore a necklace with red beads on it constantly, everypony could pick him out of a crowd thanks to that necklace, well other than his gray and snow white mane and tail. Ignis was having fun chatting with his fellow knights, looking over at Twilight she was already talking with her friends. Twilight’s parents made their appearance in the dining hall greeting the expecting couple with a warm hug for both of them. It was on Cadence’s behalf that they be a part of the lunch for today, she was dying to see the look on Shining’s face when Twilight gave the news.

It was then that Cadence and Shining walked in with their daughter Lily, causing Twilight to make a B-line straight for the table. “Uncle Ignis, Aunt Twily!!” The little filly yelled running over to Ignis. Lily was picked up by Ignis and given a big hug. “I’ve missed you soooo much. How’s aunt Twily doing with the…” Ignis shushed the overly excited filly. Ignis set Lily down and watched her run over to Twilight getting her hug from her and kept poking at Twilight’s belly. Ignis was worried that Lily might blow the secret until Twilight managed to calm Lily down. Ignis received a hug from Cadence before taking her seat next to Twilight and Lily. His brother in law was one he always welcomed the most. They’d been rivals for most of their lives and to this day still were always trying to outdo each other in something. Even though they were rivals they were still the best of friends giving each other a high hoof when they were together. Cadence gave Twilight a hug making sure to whisper something in her ear, but she refused getting one from her brother. “Come on Twily don’t tell me you’re still mad at me for the whole Wedding thing? You’ve held that over me for years now.” Shining whined, looking to Cadence for support he was only met with a giggle from her. Shining huffed and took his seat next to Cadence, Shining kept peering over at his sister. Shining couldn’t put his hoof on it but something about Twilight seemed different, and this wasn’t the first time he noticed it either.

Luna and Celestia soon made their appearance as well, both of them sat at the end of the table as the lunch was brought in. There was plenty of food to make sandwiches, salads, tacos; you thought of it, it was there. They even had sweets from SugarCube Corner, something that Lily was ready to jump right into. This was a gathering like no other. The sparkle family and what they called their extended family sitting across the table. Lily was teasing Spike, getting him to chase her around the room much to Cadence and Twilight’s objection. Twilight grabbed Ignis’ collar and pulled him to her whispering violently to him. “You put one of those inside me! What are we gonna do?” The question had Ignis sweating all of a sudden. So far he’d handled every last bit of crazy perfectly but at this moment he was drawing a blank. Ignis panicked and did the only thing he could think of and gave Twilight an innocent kiss followed up by the cheesiest smile he could give her. “You’re lucky you’re so cute.” Twilight sneered, letting go of Ignis allowing Ignis to go back to eating his lunch. The talk and gossip went on for hours, Pinkie having fun with Lily and Spike. Rarity, dodging a few pastries thrown at her by Lily and Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash and AJ had gotten into a watermelon eating contest and both of them were at an even pace. Fluttershy was feeding Philamina some food with Celestia’s okay of course. Everypony else was talking with each other. Ignis looked to Twilight and gave a slight nod, receiving the same nod back Twilight tapped on her glass using a levitated spoon. Everypony looked to Twilight, seeing Ignis stand up with a big smile on his face. “Everypony Ignis and I have an announcement to make.”

“This is something we’ve been hiding for quite a while but…” Ignis gave a long pause letting Shining take a bite of his salad. “Twilight’s pregnant.” A gagging sound was made from Shining as he choked on his lettuce. Celestia and Luna both spit out the tea that they were drinking at the news soaking Rarity in the splash. Shining finally got the lettuce out, the scrap hitting Rarity right in the face eliciting a glare of anger at Shining. Both Ignis and Rainbow Dash hit the floor with that laughing hysterically, bringing themselves to tears quickly.

“Twily you’re pregnant!?”

“Yep, I was five months along starting today.” Twilight smiled. The look on everyone’s faces was priceless. Everypony that was in on it was either laughing or smiling. While Shining, Luna, and Celestia were all slack jawed and speechless. Celestia appeared instantly behind Twilight, embracing her in a warm hug.

“Twilight this is such wonderful news. But I must ask why did you wait so long to tell us and why did you hide something so special.” Celestia was quite confused when Twilight and Ignis started to laugh.

“Well I did it on one part to get back at Shining for not telling me that he was getting married until the day of. The second part was with Ignis to get you and Luna back for that prank that you played on him.” Celestia and the others were too happy to care about some silly payback or be mad for hiding this from them. Barrages of questions were sent to Twilight and Ignis from the three family members they’d tricked once Ignis had calmed down enough. Everything from if they needed any more space for the baby, to the big question, whether they knew if they were going to have a boy or girl. “Ignis and I both agreed to wait until our foal arrives to find out.” Twilight giggled. The day went on like any other day. Twilight’s foal and health was the main topic for most of the afternoon. Ignis poked fun at Shining most of the day at his reaction, each time Cadence abandoned his plea for backup. Time seemed to move quickly and before everyone knew it Celestia and Luna were being summoned back to the throne room. With that the party started to dismiss Twilight’s parents gave their kids a hug and a kiss before heading home. Cadence and Shining did the same, leaving with an exhausted Lily on Shining’s back. Twilight and Ignis took their leave next walking out with Frost, Star, and the rest of the gang before Frost and Star split off and headed home.

The train ride back to Ponyville was a quiet one. Most of the group was asleep on the train ride back, exhausted from all the fun, all except for Twilight and Fluttershy. They moved to the last car and were standing on the platform staring up at the clouds. With Twilight’s pregnancy something had recently come into her mind. “So Fluttershy, do you and Big Mac plan on having kids soon?”

“Oh…um…I don’t know Twilight…the thought just…well…scares me.” The yellow pegasus stuttered. Fluttershy and Big Mac had started dating around the same time, but had gotten married the year before Twilight and Ignis. Everyone was certain that Fluttershy and Mac would’ve had a foal by now. Twilight took Fluttershy’s hoof and placed it on her swollen belly. “Oh Twilight I shouldn’t I don’t want to…oh.” Fluttershy stopped mid-sentence, she could feel some movement from the baby. Fluttershy was so enamored by this moment she didn’t even feel Twilight mover her own hoof away. “Oh wow Twilight I…I can feel it moving Twilight.”

“You shouldn’t be afraid Fluttershy, having a foal is something magical and very special to be able to bring something into the world.” Twilight let out a yawn. Fluttershy took Twilight back in and they sat down and fell asleep for the last few hours of the ride back. Everypony gave each other a hug and went on their way home, Spike followed AppleJack so that he could see AppleBloom. Ignis opened the oak door to the Library for Twilight and followed her inside and up to their room. Ignis and Twilight laid down on their bed and Ignis started to close his eyes ready to take another nap. “Oh going to sleep already? We’ve got hours before Spike comes home, did you want to collect on that IOU?” Ignis’ ears perked up and he looked at Twilight with a grin on his face.

Author's Note:

Credit goes to MellowCream from the MLP Forums for Proofreading/Editing

Yes finally a new chapter is up back to work on this lovely piece of work.

Comments ( 2 )

So happy to see this update again!

3844620

Well now that i have word again as well as an editor the chapters will be coming out again as soon as i finish them.

Login or register to comment