• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 778 Views, 0 Comments

A Mare Named Lightning: Part 1 - lightning_dust_12



A short story documenting Lightning Dust's life after the Wonderbolts Academy, and how one colt saved her life and helped her get back on her hooves.

  • ...
10
 0
 778

Part 5: The Two-Way Apology

Rainbow Dash was soaking wet, and cold. If Alez had any free will, he would leave her out in the rain, but he let her in. She sat down on the couch next to Lightning Dust. "I suppose you've come to apologize."

"That's about right. I'm sorry that I got mad at you," she turned to Alez, "and I'm sorry Alez, for yelling at you too. You really didn't deserve that. I just both you guys understand that I have my ups and downs just like everypony else, and this was just one of my low points...that I'll deny ever happened," she finished, smiling.

"Yeah, and I'll deny that I ever did that awesome magic that put you inside a yellow bubble."

"And I'd like to say sorry for everything," Lightning Dust chimed in. Everypony stopped laughing. "I...well, most of this is my fault, and I just hope that we can still be friends, just like we were before...before I messed up."

"Sure thing, kid! You and me...we'll go big!"

"Rainbow," Alez cut in, "you really can't call her 'kid' when I'm around!"

"She's only - what - two years older than you?"

Alez had a flashback to their conversation before Rainbow Dash came knocking, and the answer he was about to give Lightning Dust about how he kinda liked - no - really liked her. "Yeah, I guess. Anyway, thanks, Dash. I knew you guys could sort things out. "

They both looked at Alez, and Lightning Dust said, "you make it sound like me and Rainbow Dash took care of everything ourselves. You're forgetting yourself, Alez! We would still be at odds if you hadn't entered my life!"

"And I honestly didn't think I would ever forgive Lightning Dust, but I guess I just needed a second opinion, from somepony that really cares," said Rainbow Dash.

Alez smiled. "I feel the same way about you guys. I'm so used to being rejected, I just take it for -"

"- yeah, me too. Anyway, you two can continue talking, I'll be heading off. And you ever need anything, house two, cloud nine, cloudsdale, okay!"

"Sure thing," Lightning Dust responded, waving bye to Rainbow Dash. The door closed, and locked. Alez turned to Lightning Dust, "She's still not my favorite mare, but I suppose she's okay."

"I suppose I'll just have to get used to her too."

"So, about earlier, um...the conversation we were having..."

Lightning Dust sat up, and locked eyes with Alez, "you know, I'm not going to get over this easily. It helped a lot to apologize to Rainbow Dash...and to have you here to help me...but the co-captain of the Wonderbolts, that took Rainbow's complaint and literally kicked me out of the academy, what's her name? Spitfire? Anyway, she's still just as mad as Rainbow Dash was."

The rain continued to pound on the roof, making quite a loud roar. As a side-thought, Alez hoped Rainbow Dash would make it home safe in the storm. After all, she had to fly the whole way. Alez looked out the window at the poring rain, and watched it fall in front of a streetlamp's light. "So I'm guessing you want me to stay."

"Yes. That's what I want, Alez. I think we're similar in more ways than you realize. I think we would make a pretty good team, you and I."

"I can deal with Spitfire. She's not so bad. And, Lightning Dust, I think I know why you want me to stay here with you. Go on, tell me!"

Lightning Dust sighed. "Well...if I must...you're a really handsome colt, I love how modest and talented you are, and...I think I really like you."

For the first time, Alez didn't blush when somepony else told him he was handsome, or modest, or talented, even. Alez leaned in close to her and whispered into her ear, "we'll then, I'll stay here as long as you need me!" She laughed and pushed him away. "You can start by convincing Spitfire that I'm not out to get revenge on her, okay? And by the way, you never told me your actual name."

Alez's face darkened. "That's one matter that will take much time to discuss."

"You're going to be here for a while now, why don't you just tell me! You can trust me!"

"I've only told two ponies my real name. One was Princess Celestia, the other was Twilight Sparkle."

"You know Princess Celestia?"

"Another matter which will take time to discuss."

Lightning Dust sat down next to Alez, and grabbed his hoof, "Alez, I can't help but wonder, who are you, really. You say you're just an amateur videographer and DJ, but you say you've met Princess Celestia, you've only told two ponies your real name, and you keep saying how long it would take to discuss things!"

He squeezed her hoof, "Lightning, tempt not a desperate colt!"

He leaned back into the sofa, and Lightning Dust put her head down on his lap, just as she had done before, and closed her eyes.


The rain had stopped, and the cold night air crept in. The sound of hooves echoed on the pavement as a shop owner came home late from work. He looked up at the only lit-up window in Ponyville, that of Lightning Dust. Judging by what he'd read in the paper, he guessed she was up drinking, or cursing her bad decisions. But it was only a second-thought, and he looked back down to the cold, wet road, sighed, and continued on his way home.


~ Le end of part 1 ~

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment