• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 778 Views, 0 Comments

A Mare Named Lightning: Part 1 - lightning_dust_12



A short story documenting Lightning Dust's life after the Wonderbolts Academy, and how one colt saved her life and helped her get back on her hooves.

  • ...
10
 0
 778

Part 3: Quality Time With Octavia

"Well, that was interesting," Alez told Octavia.

"Yes, well, everypony has their stories, y'know?"

"But, even though she seemed okay afterword, I feel like it's really troubling her."

Octavia looked down at Alez, and told him, "I've known Lightning for quite a few years now, and she's a very confident mare. I'm sure she'll get over it."

"I guess." Alez felt his stomach rumbling. "Heh. Dinner calls! I'd best be heading home now."

Octavia looked down at Alez, and opened her mouth to say bye, but then she remembered something that Vinyl had told her about. "Oh my gosh Alez, so, Vinyl's got a show at a bar in Ponyville, near Twilight's house!"

"A bar? Octavia, I'm fifteen. And what's more, I've got videos to edit, music to make, stories to write-"

Octavia smiled, and patted Alez on the shoulder. "Two root beers, on me."

Alez frowned, "you've done enough for me already. I'll cover it. I've got, uh, cash," he said, pulling 20 bits out of his saddlebags.

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Fine. Oh man, Vinyl will be so surprised when she sees us there!"

Alez cringed, remembering Vinyl's mood when he last saw her. "Yeah. really surprised."


They got to "The Fillyfooler's Den" just in time. Alez was a bit intimidated by the name of the bar, but he shrugged it off. Then, he had an awful thought. "Octavia, Vinyl's not into, like, crazy stuff, is she?"

Octavia gave him a sideways glance, "we'll of course she's crazy! She's a DJ! And also, don't tell her I said that."

Alez was nervous, but if Octavia wasn't worried, he figured he shouldn't be either. The room was dark and smokey, and it smelled like tobacco and cider. Alez was very socially awkward, but tried his best to appear confident. He sat down on a bar stool next to Octavia. She immediately ordered the drinks, and turned to watch her roommate make her appearance.

Suddenly, a mare yelled Alez's name, and he turned, and saw that famous flier he'd met earlier that day, that also happened to be a videographer just like him: "Lightning Dust! What in Equestria are you doing here?"

"Oh, this is just one of my favorite hangouts in Ponyville!"

Her breath smelled strongly of Alcohol.

"I usually just come here for (hic) music, but I...just needed a drink."

Alez couldn't stand seeing her this way after their conversation earlier that day. "Lightning, sorry to ask, but are you still worried about Rainbow Dash?"

Her face turned red. "Why would - (hic) - why would you even mention that?!"

It came out a bit louder than she meant. Everypony was staring at her and Alez.

"Hey, why're you yelling at that poor kid?"

"Yeah! He didn't do nothing wrong!"

"You better calm down, missy."

She blushed, and began to tear up. "Alez- I- I- I didn't mean-"

She turned her back, and ran out into the pouring rain, still sobbing.