• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 42,095 Views, 2,893 Comments

The Monster in the Twilight - Georg



Twilight Sparkle’s brilliant mind was gone, burned away by her own power when she nearly destroyed Canterlot twelve years ago. Now there is a monster prowling the Everfree. And it is starting to remember what true power felt like.

  • ...
84
 2,893
 42,095

Ch. 11 - Mother

The Monster in the Twilight
Mother


The treehouse overlooking Sweet Apple Acres was normally a place for the Cutie Mark Crusaders to plan their latest assault on the dull, everyday life of Ponyville citizens, documented by Featherweight, and with Twist on location for apologies, bandages and recovery candy. Today, it was more a child’s refuge from the hectic adult activity of the Summer Sun Festival while the entire town turned out to decorate and prepare for the widely anticipated and unprecedented third yearly visit by Princess Celestia. Unfortunately, that included the not-so widely anticipated visit by her personal student, who was responsible — as much as that word ever applied to her — for making sure all the preparations were in place. To make it worse, she preferred to take two days to do a job that should have only taken her a few hours.

“Ah feels like we’re in prison,” moped Apple Bloom. “If it’s not bad enough that durned blue braggart is out at our farm again this year, ‘samplin’ our food and complaining about her life. Now, Applejack made me promise to stay in one of my friends’ houses until the festival tonight. Just ‘cause I went and hid all the bottles⁽¹⁾ afore she drunk ‘em up again like last year.”
(1) Not well enough.

“It’s not my fault either,” grumbled Sweetie Belle. “Rarity locked up the boutique, and made me promise to stay with you girls all day. Oh, and you, Featherweight. Just because I tried to help with the decorations at the Summer Sun Festival again.”

Featherweight patted her gently on the shoulder. “I got a good picture of Spike putting out the fire this time. Not nearly as much stuff burned as last year.”

“Don’t worry, Sweetie Belle.” Scootaloo put on her helmet and grinned. “We can see about breaking our best time between our houses.”

“With all the traffic from the fethtival? I thought I’d be thtepped on jutht getting to the clubhouth,” said Twist with a shudder. “Why don’t we go over to the mathine thhop and thee what we can build?”

“No, Trixie ruined that too,” complained Scootaloo. “Every year she has her chariot taken into my Aunt’s shop to be ‘Detailed,’ but this year she threw a fit and gave my aunt a retraining order against us.” The little orange pegasus scowled into crossed forelegs and harrumphed. “She doesn’t even tip. I thought for sure last year we’d get at least a dozen bits for the waxing we did on it.”

“Well, we did wax the floorboards,” said Sweetie Belle. “And she slipped and fell out when the guards took off.”

Scootaloo scoffed. “They hadn’t even gotten over the roofline. And that wheel was probably going to fall off anyway. Her grabbing onto it didn’t help.”

Featherweight chimed in, “At least I got a good shot, even if the newspaper didn’t want to print it.”

“Thee liked my candieth thith year,” said Twist energetically, until she drooped at the memory of the aftermath. “I didn’t know thee wath allergic⁽²⁾ to banannath too. I think thee hath a hat full of thoth rethraining orders. I got two.”
(2) Really, she should have told somepony

“Well, we can’t hide out here all day,” said Scootaloo, looking outside at the bright, sunny day that just begged to be enjoyed.

“aaan ooo,” mumbled Monster in the corner, buried in a book. Through Scootaloo’s careful scrounging of yard sales and the used bookstore, the clubhouse had accumulated a substantial, although eclectic, book collection that could (if looked at in bad light) be called a library. And subsequently had acquired (if looked at in a very bad light, or preferably complete darkness) what could be called a librarian.

“I know what we can do,” announced Scootaloo. “Remember last year when Princess Celestia visited, and she met with all kinds of ponies? This year we can introduce Monster to her. The Princess is just about the neatest, most kind pony in the whole world. I’ll bet she could help Monster get over her fear of… well, everything.”

Hiding in the corner, Monster whimpered faintly and tried to vanish behind her book.

“Are you thure that would be a good idea?” asked Twist. “Monthter can be frightened by about everypony.” Sensing the rising levels of stress in the corner, Twist trotted over and offered a licorice stick to the frightened unicorn, which seemed to help, as did a second.

“Yeah, she kind of had a bad reaction to the picture of—” Apple Bloom glanced at Monster and lowered her voice “—you-know-who. I mean she’s royalty, so about everypony gets all flustered and nervous around her.”

Sweetie Belle sighed in resignation. “I think she’s been sick lately too. My sis has dashed off to Canterlot a couple of times this year on a ‘Royal Emergency.’ It’s supposed to be a secret, but the Prin — I mean you-know-who — has lost a lot of weight. The fashion magazines have gone just berzerk about skinny models this year.”

“Tell me about it,” complained Scootaloo with a confirming growl from her stomach. “Aunt Fix has been on her diet forever! If it wasn’t for Twist, I would have forgotten what chocolate tastes like by now.” With a glance at the shivering Monster curled up with her books, Scootaloo opened her saddlebags and held out a small box. “Would you like one?”

A violet aura wrapped precisely around one of the two remaining chocolate cherries and conveyed it to an appropriate fate. While Monster chewed with a look of positive bliss across her battered face, she groaned in pleasure. “mmmmoooommm”

“You want one for your mom too?” Scootaloo gave a longing look at the last chocolate, and stuffed the lid back on the box before pushing it over to Monster. “Go ahead.” The whole group watched as the box levitated up, and then seemed to pass through a razor-thin gap in the world, vanishing from view. It was very cool no matter how many times they had seen it.

“Did your mom teach you how to do that?” asked Sweetie Belle with a note of depression. She still could not do any more than just sparks with her horn, while the other unicorns in their class were all the way up to writing. Dinky could even juggle, although just muffins. Monster’s head bobbed in the affirmative.

“I know what we can do! Road trip!” shouted Scootaloo, digging into the chaotic mess of rain coats, galoshes, and sweaters that filled one corner⁽³⁾ of the clubhouse, flinging on her saddlebags and grabbing for her scooter. “It solves all our problems. We can go out to Monster’s house for the afternoon to get away from being underhoof in town, and have an adventure in the process! How are we set for supplies?”
(3) A place to quickly shed all those extra rain boots, coats and sweaters that big ponies tended to force little ponies to wear in the nicest of puddle-splashing weather.

“A dozen cupcaketh and about a pound of jawbreakerth,” said Twist, tossing on her own saddlebags.

“Fourteen image crystals and a telephoto lens,” said Featherweight, hefting his bulging saddlebags on over his photographer’s vest. “And some pictures.”

“Well, Applejack did make me promise to stay at a friend’s house, and Monster is a friend,” said Apple Bloom after due consideration. “I’ll fill up my bags with Early Delicious on the way. How about you, Sweetie Belle?”

“Rarity packed me a quiche, and some broccoli florets. But I traded some of the chocolate-dipped Sweet Dreams Oatie-Nuttie bars from her stash for my Lo-Fat Alfalfa Chews. That way she can’t cheat on her diet anymore.”

“All right! Cutie Mark Crusaders House Visit!”

“Doesn’t really have a ring to it,” said Sweetie Belle with a frown.

* * * *

“Why won’t you ride in the wagon? We could go so much faster,” groused Scootaloo, plodding along at a snail’s pace behind Monster, with the rest of the students either in the wagon or flying along behind, taking pictures.

Their guide into the Everfree simply grunted and carefully skirted a field of blue flowers, taking very specific care to make sure Scootaloo followed in her hoofprints. Monster seemed to be preoccupied, not showing any interest in the handsome large river serpent they passed by⁽⁴⁾ or the narrow cliff they skirted⁽⁵⁾. Even when they traveled by a bunch of scary dead trees frozen into expressions of terror⁽⁶⁾, she just kept plodding onward. The only sign Monster was even aware of being followed was the violet aura that grabbed Scootaloo’s scooter whenever she stopped to get a better look. It took over an hour of travel through the forest’s dangerous entertainments before the narrow path went over a low hill, and the little fillies all gasped at what they saw⁽⁷⁾.
(4) With many photos taken, including several that looked suspiciously posed to get the best view of his fantastic mane and moustache.
(5) Nopony admitted to being scared, although they all gave quite a few nervous looks down the cliff.
(6) Which probably would have been more scary in the dark.
(7) Except for Featherweight, who was too busy taking pictures.


“You live in an enchanted castle,” sighed Sweetie Belle in a romantic reverie, looking at the shattered towers and overgrown walls surrounding a huge castle that took up much of the area ahead of them. “Does it have dragons, or ghosts, or forest creatures who do all the chores for you?

“It’th a real fixer-upper,” said Twist, once she had recovered from slack-jawed amazement. She looked up at the broken windows and collapsed roofs on all of the huge buildings, the vast majority of which had completely fallen to neglect and years of overgrowth, and added, “Lotth and lotth of fixing.”

“Oh, horsefeathers,” said Scootaloo with a dismissive wave. “My aunt could have the whole thing in perfect condition inside a week.” The deep rumble of a collapsing building raised dust in a wide cloud in the distance as a tower slowly slid to the ground in a pile of broken masonry. “Well, maybe two weeks. She’d have to get an estimate from the insurance company first.”

“It don’t got no way to get to it,” said Apple Bloom, looking at a broken rope bridge that dangled down into a fog-filled ravine between them and the mysterious castle.

“What do you mean?” asked Featherweight, floating closer as he tried to get the best angle on the sun for a photo of the collapsed walls. “It’s just… Oh, yeah. No wings.”

Further study of the huge ruined castle was placed on hold by Monster, who gave an embarrassed clearing of the throat. She was standing by a thick rose hedge that took up most of the side of the road, and for some reason, she was picking roses off of it one at a time and floating them over to her friends.

“kkhhhheyy,” rasped Monster, taking one of the flowers and eating it as an example.

“Icky is right!” declared Sweetie Belle, sticking her tongue out with half of the rose still on it. “They’re bitter. Alright, alright, I’ll eat it,” she continued when Monster gave her a sharp look. “They probably have vitamins or mini-rals in them.”

Once she had made sure every one of them had eaten a rose, Monster brushed up against the thick rosebush, which seemingly recoiled at her touch and left a pony-sized hole in the prickly branches. Putting on a smug expression, she led them all through the thorny hedge, although each of the little ponies shied away from the sharp branches which barely touched them gently on the side as if they were just combing their manes. The little ponies emerged on the other side of the hedge in front of an immensely thick tree, which towered up above the encircling rosebush with obvious signs of open windows and a solid-looking door.

“Well. I suppose a tree house is almost as cool as living in an abandoned castle,” said Scootaloo, looking up into the huge tree.

“Are you kidding?” Sweetie Belle nearly did a backflip on the grassy ground around the tree. “She lives in a giant tree house right next to a giant unexplored castle! How much cooler could it get?”

Featherweight flapped higher to look over the top of the thorny wall at the castle in question. “It could have ninja ponies in it.”

“Or pirates,” suggested Scootaloo. “Sky pirates with their airships in the treetop.”

“Or thpooky ghothtth in the cathle bathement,” added Twist.

“Or could there be, a zebra in this tree?”

“Naa,” scoffed Scootaloo. “Zebra’s aren’t as cool as ghost ninja pirates. Hey, wait.”

As one, the entire group turned to look at the strange striped pony standing in the doorway to the tree house. She looked almost exactly like the zebra picture in their world history book, except for the single gold ring around her neck, and one around her ankle. Two large gold hoop earrings completed the outfit, which contrasted well against her two-color coat and her short-cropped mane. Monster sat rather nervously at the zebra’s hooves, trading glances back and forth between the zebra and her friends with a look that the little students quickly recognized as an ‘I didn’t get permission before bringing you over’ plea.

“Hello, Mrs. Monster,” said Sweetie Belle, trying to sound like her big sister did when she met important clients. “Is Mister Monster at home?”

“What’s this? Is it a monster you think I be? Just because I live in a secluded tree?” The zebra mare looked down at the little fillies with a twinkle in her eye. “Please forgive me my jest, dears. It’s just been so long since I’ve had guests here. Friends of my little Flower you must be, having traveled so far to reach our tree.”

“Her name is Flower?” asked Scootaloo, wrinkling her face up in disgust while Monster appeared to be finding a nearby blade of grass positively fascinating.

“Yes indeed, little steed. I am Zecora, of the Forest Everfree,” said the zebra with a nod of her head. “I am a zebra, as any fool can plainly see.”

“I can see that,” said Scootaloo.

“This is my daughter, adopted as she may be. I named her Flower, to which she disagrees.” Behind the zebra’s back, Monster stuck her tongue out and made a gagging face.

Sweetie Belle asked, “Is your husband a zebra too?”

“No, only my little Flower and I reside here. Alone, for we have no stallion inside, I fear.”

“You talk neat,” said Twist, trotting up with a grin. “My name is Twitht.”

“I’m Scootaloo, Ma’am.”

“My name is Sweetie Belle.”

“Ah’m Apple Bloom.”

“Yes, my little Flower has shown me many pictures of all of you. Although, of that one, we have very few.” The zebra looked up rather purposefully at Featherweight, who suddenly seemed stricken for words.

“Um. Hi. I’m Featherweight. And. Um. We don’t have to rhyme when talking to you, do we? Because not much rhymes with my name.”

“Of course not, little tot. It is just a convention to which I pay little attention. I do not wish to offend, but it would be best if you descend. It is not safe for you to fly around. The thorns protect only those who walk upon the ground.”

“Hey, wait a minute.” Featherweight looked down at them, then over at the castle and asked, “If I could have just flown over the thorn bush, why did I have to eat that nasty flower too?”

* * *

The inside of the tree home was just as exciting as they thought, with strange spooky masks and shelves filled with fascinating bottles and powders. The five little ponies had a great time exploring the mysterious rooms and little nooks, looking out the windows at the strange castle ruins, and examining Monster’s large collection of ‘Buks’ even though they were all written in a language they could not read. For some reason, their explorations stopped at the well-stocked basement root cellar filled with boring old roots and plants, and Zecora was very stern about keeping them all out of her workroom. Once their initial burst of energy had started to die down, the zebra gathered the little ponies all up and sat them down in the largest room available for a talk.

The older zebra spoke of ancient times, nearly twelve years ago when the spirits of the sky had foretold great disaster for all of the world, and how she had been chosen to travel here by way of the spirits of the earth to prevent it. When Zecora first had arrived in the ruins of the castle across the ravine, she had discovered her little ‘Flower’ gravely wounded and near death, but with her care the little pony had survived. She detailed how they left the ruins because of the effects they seemed to have on ‘Flower’ and the general sense of unease about being in a place that not even the normal creatures of the forest wanted to call home. And for the last twelve seasons, the two of them had lived a rather bumpy life here, in the middle of the hostile forest.

When she was done, the little ones promptly displayed their inability to concentrate on a long and boring story while being distracted by each other and the rest of the fascinating things in the room, by asking questions which had already been answered.

“So how come you don’t still live in the spooky castle? That would be so cool,” said Apple Bloom. “You said you talk to spirits, so if there were any ghosts, you could just tell them to leave.”

Zecora suppressed a sigh of frustration. “There are things in those ruins that ponykind was not meant to know, so I packed up my things and away we did go. There was much to take, so we could not go far. This tree was here, so now here we are. Although for the coming of darkness I was supposed to prepare, now it seems my only purpose is for Flower to care.”

“How bad wath Flower hurt?” asked Twist, trying not to look at Monster’s disgusted reaction to her mother’s choice in names.

The zebra drew the badly scarred unicorn closer with one hoof, and slowly began to stroke her short-cropped mane. “Her body was broken it appeared to me, but her heart was a greater loss I could see. A body is tough and can heal with only scars to show, but a mind is delicate and her recovery?” Zecora sighed and blinked away a tear. “We may never know.”

The zebra leaned against her adopted child and nuzzled her behind an ear. “A mother I was not prepared to become, but once I was here, she needed me to be one. Our life together has not been without cost. Last fall, I had even thought she was lost.”

“What happened?” asked Featherweight, still trying to get the correct exposure for the latest in a series of touching mother-daughter photographs.

The zebra continued to gently stroke her daughter’s mane while talking. “My little Flower was gone so long, I feared something terrible had gone wrong. A stallion she was in great need of, to feed her innermost greed, uh…” Zecora trailed off, her slow stroking of her daughter’s mane forgotten in the stunned look of ravenous curiosity from the five underage ponies and the raw embarrassment from ‘Flower.’

“A tale not for small ears, more from me you shall not hear.”

Apple Bloom, with a sneaking suspicion of just what had gone on between Monster and some unnamed stallion⁽⁸⁾ last fall, attempted to turn the conversation back to more exciting cutie mark earning possibilities. “So when is this big disaster supposed to happen?”
(8) Most likely large, red, and very much related. Having grown up on a farm, Apple Bloom had more advanced knowledge about male-female relationships than her fellow students, although the thought that her own brother might have been part of this ‘relationship’ was more than a little disconcerting.

Zecora produced a hoof-full of powder and blew it gently up into the air, where it formed into glittering stars against the ceiling. Indicating one particularly small cluster of stars, she intoned, “Two years ago is what we thought, but somehow the destruction has happened not. The stars that shine upon the night sky’s face were to tell us both the time and the place.” The indicated star shifted position slightly and moved. “Now the star which predicted this event, has moved to where it was supposed to be sent. So the disaster which was long delayed, will happen soon, to my great dismay.”

“Any idea when?” asked Featherweight, checking his supply of extra image crystals just in case.

“Exactly when, I cannot say. It might even be today. The stars show both what was, and what will be, so precision is one thing I cannot see. Only an Imetabiriwa na Anga can talk with the stars, a gift that I must say is not one of ours.”

The little ponies were distracted when the zebra and Monster suddenly looked to one side of the room where one of the large scary wooden masks was hanging on the wall. Zecora looked concerned, and spoke directly to the mask. “What is it you say, oh wise one of the air? There is nothing to fear, but we should still beware?”

Scootaloo gave a yawn and asked, “Zecora, who are you talking too?”

“Not all that exists are things you can see. There are some tricks here, within my tree.”

The faint rattle and hissing of an object on the floor behind the small ponies drew Monster’s attention. She got up to investigate, but stopped when Zecora abruptly held a hoof across her chest. “Did you not hear the words she said? If we interfere, they will all be dead.” The zebra’s gesture swept over the small ponies, all collapsing onto the floor with loud snores. “I know not what she sees, but we must trust in…” Wavering, the zebra fell to the floor with the small ponies, leaving Monster to collapse moments later when the sleeping gas took hold.

* * *

It only took a few minutes for the sleeping gas residue to clear out of the tree before a series of identical white pegasi in golden armor began to slip in through the open windows to remove the sleeping ponies back to the place where they would be imprisoned. The last white pegasus to leave the tree paused to extinguish the fire burning under a large pot in the workroom, and carefully checked the rest of the tree for untended fires. It would not do for any unwanted incident to alert Princess Cadence and her entourage to the upcoming ambush.

After all, the Queen of the Changelings had planned many years for this day. And everything was going to be perfect.

- - - -

Author's Note:

This chapter goes from late spring to summer, up to June 20. June 21 is the Summer Solstice.