• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 23,167 Views, 2,215 Comments

Whenever You Call - Onomonopia

  • ...
82
 2,215
 23,167

Can Never Be Replaced

"And you're certain that this is a trap of sorts?" Superman asked Luna as the two of them walked through the halls of the castle with the Elements of Harmony behind them (as well as Chrysalis and Insectum), who rested on her mother's back and looked around with childlike awe at the majesty of the castle. Superman had to control his emotions while he walked, for when he got distracted his footsteps could smash holes in the floor. They had quickly gathered up the other Elements of Harmony (literally gathered them, Superman flew over to where they had been working and picked them up) before all of them headed towards Canterlot. Luna had informed him that Celestia was in bed with a terrible headache and would not be able to join them (Luna noted to herself that Celestia had quite a number of headaches recently). As they walked through the halls, the guards all eyed Chrysalis carefully, their trust not won over considering she was the one who took the lives of so many of their comrades. But Superman smiled to himself when the guards gently waved at Insectum when she waved to them, showing him that it was mostly Chrysalis they didn't like and not all changelings. Luna walked him to the twin iron doors that led down to the dungeon, doors that had ten guards stationed on either side of them.

"Down here is where you will find Sombra," she said nervously. "Are you sure that you wish to see him by yourself? The bars and collar might prevent him from using his magic, but he is one of the most crafty ponies known to our kind. It would be easy for me to join you or send in one of the Elements of Harmony to accompany you."

"Thank you for your concern, but if he wants to see me by myself he probably won't talk if anypony else is with me," Superman said in a serious tone before he looked back at all of them with a smile. "Besides, it's me we're talking about. I'll be fine if he tries anything."

"Yes, but last time you two faced off, he stripped you of your powers before taking control of your body," Twilight reminded him with a huff. "He may not have his horn now, but he's still crafty. Be on your guard."

"Always am." Superman opened the doors himself and heard the screams of the ponies trapped down below. They reached him faster than the damp air did. He remained unfazed as he walked down the stairs deeper into the darkness, with only a few torches to light his way. Sombra was the last cell in here and was apparently in maximum security, leaving Superman to walk past all the other pony prisoners on his way to him.

"LET ME OUT!" one of them screamed as he threw his body at the bars, trying to grab Superman who walked by him without a second glance.

"I'M INNOCENT!" another screamed, this one throwing a piece of his bedding at Superman which bounced right off. More and more prisoners became rowdier by his presence, and he figured that he might have a full blown riot on his hands if he didn't silence them now.

"Enough," he said in his normal voice, but all of the prisoners backed away from him in fear. They all heard the warning and power in his voice and they all knew that they didn't want to mess with him. The only one who continued to make a sound was the one in the far back ,who simply laughed at the sudden silence.

"It seems that they all fear you, Superman, even though they have no reason to," Sombra's voice rang out through the dungeon, echoing his laughter. "Please, don't be shy and visit me. I get so lonely in this cell." Superman frowned and walked down to the final cell, whistling at the size of the door that barred his way. The thing was at least twenty feet tall and was made with solid lead, meaning that he couldn't see through it to the other side. The guard that stood in front of the door was a massive Pegasus with scars over most of his body and a look that showed he had been through hell. He nodded at Superman and pressed a hidden button on the door, opening it and allowing Superman inside. Sombra was chained to the wall upside down and wrapped in what looked like a straight jacket for ponies. The bars in front of his cell were not only lined with lead, but also a strange magic that made Superman's skin tingle.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Sombra said with a chuckle through the mouth guard he was wearing on his face. "Won't you kindly take a seat?" Superman saw he was looking at the only chair in the room and sat down. "Did you enjoy my octopus? He was supposed to come out earlier, but they are such a dense species."

"No, I can't say that I did," Superman said with a frown. "So why did you want to see me before your big day tomorrow?"

"I just simply wanted to talk, and since the princesses are too thick-headed to listen to me, I figured that you'd be willing to," Sombra said a bit muffled. "And since you don't like the whole idea on killing, mind letting me out of here?"

"Sorry Sombra, but while I don't like to kill others, the courts have ruled you guilty. It's out of my hands," Superman told him with a shrug. Sombra sighed and looked at Superman with a raised eyebrow.

"I had hoped that you'd be smarter than that," Sombra said with a small shake of his head. "There was no court or ruling. All that happened was Celestia came down to tell me that I would be dead in the morning. No trial, no jury, nothing. Just told me I was going to die and that was it."

"I'm not going to sympathize with you, if that's what you're planning," Superman said with a frown. "Although I will talk to them about getting you a proper trial, but that's as far as I'll go.

"Just what I'd expect from the hero of the ponies," Sombra scoffed.

"I protect all who ask for it, even you, if you were ever in any danger; but this you brought this upon yourself," Superman responded. Sombra rolled his eyes with a scoff. "I would have tried to help you, but you have shown that all you care about is hurting others. So is that all you wanted to see me for, or did you have something more sinister in mind?" Superman wished he hadn't worded it like that, because the look Sombra gave him would have sent chills down anyone else's spine.

"Right to the point eh? Alright, I'll tell you why I brought you here. I'm going to break out of this prison, I'm going to kill that traitor Chrysalis and all the ponies, and then I'm going to kill you," Sombra said with darkness in his voice, glaring at Superman as he was trying to burn him with his gaze. "And there will be nothing you can do about it."

"Really? Because from where I'm sitting it looks like you can't..." Superman stopped when something caught his ear. It was what Sombra had just said. Not the words but the way he had said it. He had spoken as if he was almost...mechanical. Superman shot out of the seat to grab Sombra, but the bars on the cell exploded with magical power the moment he touched them and he was shot back with such velocity that he went through the massive door to the room, slamming up against the wall, while the startled guard ran inside the cell to see what happened. Superman shook his head as he heard the guard cry out in pain, his body flying through the air a few seconds later. Superman flew up to catch him, but he could seen no pulse in the body he held.

"You'll pay for this," Superman growled at Sombra as he heard the sounds of chains snapping and followed by Sombra floating out of the room, now in a silver and purple suit with three green circles on his forehead.

"I highly doubt that Superman," Sombra said with a metallic tone. "Brainiac may no longer be within this unit, but his power and intelligence has assimilated into me, giving me a vast edge over you." Superman dropped the pony's body to the side, placing both arms down by his side as he prepared to fight. He had no idea how much of Brainiac's intelligence or power Sombra had received, but he was now a lot more dangerous than last time. Sombra smiled at his stance and looked up at his stump, where nanobots began to reform his horn. Once the source of his magic was back, he looked at Superman with a smile. "I also have the ability to repair any external damage. So it's safe to say you can't win," he said as he took up a fighting pose, letting his returned magic flow through his body. "Ready, Superman?" Superman responded by flying straight towards Sombra and grabbed him by the throat, trying to choke him out early. Sombra smiled and let magical electricity course through his body, zapping Superman and breaking his grasp.

"Fool. You are no longer superior to me!" Sombra yelled with a smile as he drove his hoof into Superman's jaw and channeled his magic through the hoof to blast Superman straight up. Superman hit the ceiling and went right through, smashing through the ceiling and knocked into the throne room. Sombra laughed with glee at his power, his metallic laugh being quickly drowned out by the other inmates demanding that he free them. "Do not worry my friends, you will not need to fear the wrath of Celestia any longer!" he yelled as he shot his lightning into the bars and ripped them clean off. The prisoners cheered and rushed the door, with Sombra following until a red blur slammed into him.

"Give up Sombra!" Superman demanded as he punched Sombra in the jaw, stunning the dark king. "Brainiac couldn't beat me and neither can you!" To place the exclamation on his words, Superman returned Sombra's earlier attack by punching Sombra in the jaw and sent him flying through both the roof and the throne room. Superman shot up after him, breaking through the castle's roof into the sky, spotting Sombra flying towards the front of the city. Superman followed him, but broke off after seeing that Luna, Chrysalis and the Elements had been surrounded by criminals.

"What's going on?" Rainbow asked him as he flattened half of the criminals with a clap of his hands, quickly grabbing the other ones and wrapping a street lamp around them.

"Sombra's gained the power of Brainiac and is trying to kill everyone," he explained quickly before rocketing off after Sombra. Superman looked in every direction, but scowled when he couldn't find Sombra. But he didn't have to look long, as Sombra was more than happy to reveal himself with a blast of electric magic into his back. Superman cried out in pain as he was driven into the streets. Superman smashed into the stone streets, spraying stone bits everywhere and causing a number of citizens to scream in terror. He shook his head as he got up, feeling light headed from the impact. He swiftly moved to the side as another magic bolt hit the hole where he had just been standing. Sombra scowled as Superman came flying at him, dodging Superman's first strike before blocking his next with his magic.

"You are not as fearsome as I remember you," Sombra taunted as he turned his body to smoke to avoid a blast of heat vision. Superman blew the smoke apart with his frost breath, but Sombra quickly reformed behind him while firing more magic into Superman's back. Superman spun around to grab Sombra, but much to his growing frustration Sombra dodged to the side with a smirk.

"How are you faster than me?" Superman asked as Sombra continued to dodge all of his attacks.

"Frustrating, isn't it?" Sombra asked as he flipped over another attempt to punch him and sent electricity flying off of his body that stunned Superman. Sombra followed up with a magic-fueled kick to Superman's face that again knocked him to the ground. Superman landed on his feet and looked up to fire heat vision towards Sombra, roaring when Sombra dodged again. "You see Superman, I know all your tricks. I can avoid all of your attacks because I know how you think. You are trying not to kill me, so you have to move at a certain speed and us a certain amount of force if you wish to keep me alive. And at those levels, I can see your attacks before you even think of them."

"You're lying. Not even the true Brainiac could predict all my moves like this," Superman said as Sombra turned into a thundercloud and tried shooting Superman, who moved to the left and right to avoid the attacks. Sombra chuckled as twin tendrils of darkness emerged from the ground at Superman's feet, holding him in place while Sombra continued his attack. Superman cried out in pain as he dropped to his knees, the magic lightning frying every one of his cells.

"Maybe the true Brainiac was smarter than me, but I've been in your head," Sombra said with a smirk as he upped the power, his smile growing wider as Superman's screams got louder. "I may have taken over your body, but while I was in there I took notes on how you fight and how you think, just in case you managed to force me out. See, unlike most villians, I don't have one or two plans. I have thousands!" Sombra lifted Superman into the air with his magic lightning, increasing the intensity to the point where Superman's cape caught ablaze. Sombra, with all of his brains and power, might have finally been the one to kill Superman if it weren't for a rainbow trail that kicked him in the face and knocked him away.

"I wondered when the rest of you foals would interfere," Sombra said as he threw up a shield to protect him from the magic of two princesses. The combined power of Twilight and Luna was enough to hold Sombra back while RD helped Superman over to the Elements.

"Are you alright, Superman?" Fluttershy asked as she looked over his wounds. Rarity looked at the burned cape with a look of rage, vowing to destroy Sombra for ruining all of her work. Superman pushed them away as he got back up, looking towards the sun as its energies began to heal him. However, before any real healing could begin he and all of the ponies were caught in a massive blast of magic that tossed them all to the ground. Luna and Twilight had been overpowered by Sombra, who walked towards them with magic crackling off his body and an evil smile on his face.

"It seems that not even two princesses can defeat me. But where is the third one?" Sombra asked them as he looked around at all of the ponies in the streets. "Where is your beloved ruler? Is she afraid to face me?"

"She will not need to. I am more than enough to deal with you!" Luna yelled as she covered herself in a cloak of darkness and charged at Sombra. But by the time she had started to move, he had predicted all of her movements and side
-stepped her attack while driving his elbow into her back, breaking through the cloak and driving her to the ground. He stood over her, raising his hoof to deliver the final blow, but Superman charged him and gained his attention. Sombra smiled at his attack, but that smile turned to a frown when he realized that Superman was moving much faster than he should be. Superman threw a punch towards Sombra's chest with such speed, that Sombra didn't have time to block. He looked down...to see that Superman had stopped his fist right in front of his chest.

"I knew you wouldn't do it," Sombra taunted with a laugh. "You're too good-hearted to kill me, even if it is the best method."

"Wait for it," Superman said with a smile. Sombra barely had a second to think about what he had said before a massive punch hit him in the gut even though Superman hadn't moved. He skidded back and fell to his knees, resisting the urge to throw up.

"How...?" Sombra asked as Superman grabbed him by the throat and lifted him up.

"Simple. I threw a much faster punch but stopped it in front of you so that the speed of the punch would hit minus the actual impact," Superman explained as he tightened his grip. "I may not kill, but beating you senseless is fine with me," Superman said as he brought back his fist to finish it.

"But you forgot what I told you," Sombra said with a smile as he let his horn glow one more time. "I always have a plan." Superman wondered what he was saying when an insane pain exploded in his mind, the sudden shock and pain forced him to drop Sombra as he held his hands to his head, screaming in pain as he fell to the ground. Sombra said something to Superman, but Superman couldn't hear him over his own screaming. The ponies looked down at Superman with horror as Sombra began to laugh, kicking Superman out of the way as he walked towards them.

"What did you do to Superman?!" RD screamed as she rushed at Sombra, who smacked her down with his hoof. He kicked her back over to the other ponies, who were unsure of what to do.

"What I did was implant a little magic in his head when I took control of him," Sombra said with a smile as he started to walk towards the ponies. "So right now it feels like his brain is being eaten by a swarm of insects, attacking his neural centers and his vision. Unfortunatly he's so strong that I doubt that it will kill him. But it will stall him long enough for me to be rid of all of you. Then I will take my time making him suffer before he dies." The ponies backed away from him, the power radiating off of him alone was stronger than all of their magics. He pointed his horn at the center of the ponies, smiling to himself.

"Any last words?"

"DIE!" Sombra roared in pain as a green flame struck him in the back and set him ablaze, breaking his concentration as he screamed in pain. The ponies all looked to the source of the spell to see Chrysalis land across from them with her horn ablaze, matching the fire that they saw in her eyes. Her daughter hopped off of her back and ran over to Superman while Chrysalis walked towards the burning Sombra.

"Oh I have been waiting for this for a while," she said with venom in her voice as she fired another volley of green flame into Sombra's chest, turning him from a blazing pony to a raging inferno of pain. He howled in agony as the fire began to consume him, not helped by Chrysalis kicking him in the gut. She lifted him with her magic and slammed him into the ground at her feet. "This is for my children that you stole!" she roared as she crushed one of his legs with her hoof. "This is for all the changeling's you killed to get my children." She snapped another leg, causing the already wounded Sombra to cry out even more. "And this...is because I feel like it." While she wailed away on Sombra, Insectum started to use her magic to try and alleviate some of Superman's pain. After a few seconds of trying, his screams died down and he lay panting on the ground.

"W-what's happening?" he asked her weakly as she continued her spell. "I can't see anything and I can barely hear. It feels like all my blood is on fire. What did he do to me?"

"He said something about placing some magic in your brain," she explained tiredly, her spell taking a lot out of her. The spell was designed to help ease pain and suffering, but she could just barely muster enough magic to get Superman to the point where he could talk. "Don't worry though, mommy's beating his flank something fierce. You just rest up." Superman stretched out his hand to feel sunlight shining onto it, but for every second that the sun restored him, the magic sapped that power away. All he could do was sit there as Insectum did her best to try and help him. Meanwhile, Sombra had managed to extinguish himself and was fighting back with a fury against Chrysalis, who was more than holding her own.

"Grr, it seems that you know my movements just as I know yours," Sombra said with a growl as his magic lightning was intercepted by a ball of fire, blasting him back. Chrysalis leapt through the flames and drove her horn into his chest, smiling when he screamed. He kicked her off with his front hoof and staggered back, smiling himself as the nanobots started their repairs. Chrysalis watched him repair with a snarl and continued her onslaught of fire, all of which Sombra barely managed to avoid. "Perhaps I was mistaken in letting you live."

"As was I," Chrysalis agreed as she jumped over a thunderbolt from the sky, rolling back to her hooves and slamming two carriages from the side of the road into Sombra. He caught them with his own magic and blasted them to ash, snarling while slamming his hooves into the ground to create a dark shockwave. Chrysalis leapt over it only to receive two hooves to the face, knocking her back into the ground. He placed a hoof on her throat as she struggled to escape, turning her head when she tried to fire her magic at him.

"But now I will finally rectify that mistake," he said with a dark smile as his horn began to glow again, aimed right for her head. The ponies all cried out and started to run at him, but he placed them in an electric field to stop them. "Now if there are no more interruptions, it's time for you to die." The ponies cried out for him to stop as his horn began to crackle with power, murder flashing in his eyes as he aimed his horn right between her fear-filled eyes. But out of all those who were watching the horrific event, the Elements of Harmony or those on the streets, none of them were more afraid than the little changeling next to Superman.

"No..." she whispered as Sombra's spell was almost complete, running from Superman's side towards her mother, tears streaming down her face. "NO! Don't kill her! Somepony! Anypony! SAVE HER!" Superman barely heard the cry and tried to get back up, but with her gone the pain had returned and he found himself barely able to concentrate. He closed his eyes and placed his hands on his head trying to stem the pain. Insectum ran over to Sombra while firing a few spells at him, but he simply placed her in an electric barrier as well. All she could do was watch as he prepared to finish her mother off.

"MOMMY!"

The cry was the light that Superman needed to cut through the darkness. Despite the blinding pain, a memory of another filly crying out for her mother flashed through his mind, along with the memory that he had been too late. But along with that memory came the memory of the promise he had made to her and to all ponies, that he would not let it happen again.

"No..." he whispered to himself as he mustered all the strength he could to lift his head at the cry. "Never again!" He might not have been able to move his body or to see, but he could still hear. And from what he could hear, he was able to figure out the general area where Sombra was. But he wasn't sure of the shot. If he were to miss...Insectum cried out again just as Sombra laughed and he knew that he had to risk it. So his eyes began to flash red as he took aim at what he hoped was Sombra's horn.

"And now Chrysalis, you DIE!" Sombra screamed as the spell began to fire, the sound of the magic followed by the screams of the ponies and the hysterical cries of Insectum. A laugh had just begun to escape Sombra's sneering face when he caught a flash of red out of the corner of his eye and turned...before he began to fall. The spell that he had almost fired vanished from his horn and the laugh of victory was silenced forever. Chrysalis fell to her back as Sombra fell to the ground, the smirking face believing that he had won would never know that he had failed. The barriers around both the ponies and Insectum fell, letting Insectum run over to her mother and throw her arms around her as she started to sob. Chrysalis looked from her daughter to Sombra in confusion, as the Elements and princesses walked over as well, wondering what had happened. And then the terror began to sink in, as the ponies looked at Sombra;'s face with his victory smile still on his lips...along with the two burning holes in the side of his head. Superman 's head fell from exhaustion, but none of the ponies even looked at him. All they could do was stare with horror as they realized what happened.

Sombra was dead.