• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 23,134 Views, 2,215 Comments

Whenever You Call - Onomonopia

  • ...
82
 2,215
 23,134

Walk Through Fire

Superman flew across the skies of this strange but magnificent land, eyes and ears ready in case he was needed. He had decided to go to the section of the continent with the giant volcano. He had a history of having to stop volcanos, so he expected the same from this place. As he glided on an air current, he heard something that sounded like a bunch of teens laughing and something crying. He screeched to a stop and started to scan the area with his x-ray vision, looking for the source of the one in distress.

What he saw caused him to raise an eyebrow and frown. What looked like a group of small dragons had encircled a pony and seemed to be bullying it. He shook his head at their juvenille antics and descended onto the scene.

"You ponies think that you're so much better than us, don't you?" the tallest of the group said with a sneer to the shivering pony . The pony closed her eyes and curled up into a ball, trying to look as small as possible. The other three laughed at her and started to kick dirt onto her.

"You all think that princess of yours is so great. Well if she's so great, where is she?" the red dragon asked. The pony whimpered and tried to back up, but a purple dragon with blond hair blocked her path.

"He asked you a question," he said in a stupid voice, pushing the pony back into the circle of dragons. They all started to laugh again, closing in on her.

"That's enough."

The dragons and the pony all looked up at the voice, where their jaws proceeded to go straight to the ground. Superman hovered about ten feet above them, arms crossed and a stern look on his face. The dragons backed up as he landed in the center of their circle, right in front of the pony.

"W-who are you?" the red dragon asked. Superman narrowed his eyes, choosing not to answer. The dragon looked around at his friends, and seeing as they outnumbered the stranger, gained back some of his courage.

"W-well whichever you are, you picked the wrong dragons to mess with," he said with a grin, stepping forward to glare at Superman. "So what do you want?"

"Apologize," Superman told them. The all looked at him in confusion before looking at each other. After a few seconds, the dragons burst out laughing. They started to circle Superman while the pony hid behind the Man of Steel, placing him between her and the dragons.

"You can't tell us what to do," the red one said with a snarl. The others chuckled and watched as their leader walked right up to Superman, cracking his knuckles. Superman just watched as the dragon brought his fist back and slammed it right into the red 'S' on Superman's chest.

CRACK!

The dragon howled in pain as his fist shattered on Superman's costume. The Man of Steel smiled as he watched the dragon run back and forth, crying like a child. His friends chased after him, trying to help the best they could. After they had spent a minute tending to the wound, the leader of the gang glared at Superman and marched up to him.

"You think you're funny do ya? Wearing armor under that abomination of an outfit? Well, I'll show you how I deal with wise guys!" Even though he was a full foot smaller than Superman, he didn't seem intimidated at all. The dragon inhaled deeply and exhaled a torrent of flames into Superman's face. The pony gasped as her protector's head was set ablaze by the dragon, who was now laughing along with the rest of his gang.

"HA, what do you think of that, FREAK?" the red dragon asked Superman, still laughing at his burning face.

"I think," Superman began, wiping the fire off his face as if is were water, "that you need a breath mint." The dragons all backed up as Superman finished brushing the fire off of his suit.

"Now, about that apology?" Superman asked when he had finished with the fire. The leader of the dragons used whatever courage he had left to order one last attack.

"Let's get him all together!" he yelled to his friends. They all inhaled, preparing to unleash a firestorm. But before they could even light a spark, Superman exhaled and unleashed his artic breath upon the dragons. They were instanlty frozen solid, except for their heads, which Superman had purposely left thawed.

"W-what did you do to us?" the dragon leader panicked as he and his buddies tried to break the ice.

"Artic breath. Figured you and your friends needed a moment to cool off. Now then, why were you bothering this pony?" Superman asked with a stern glare. The leader sneered.

"Why should we tell you?"

"Because if you don't, you'll be dragon-cicles for maybe a few hours. Also," he said softly, changing his tone a bit, "not telling would...upset me." Superman smiled inwardly as he saw their pupils shrink in fear and their tough demeanor started to crack. He didn't like having to use Bruce's techniques, but they really worked well on stubborn people...or dragons.

"Okay, we were picking on her because all ponies think that they're so much better than us. We just wanted to show her that they weren't," one of them said, hanging his head.

"Yeah, they act all superior and treat us like garbage," the blonde one said.

"They may be mean to you, but that doesn't mean you should go picking on them," Superman said sternly. He turned to look at the pony, still hiding behind him. "You weren't teasing them, were you?" The pony shook her head back and forth quickly.

"Now then," Superman began, turning back to the dragons, "what do you say?"

"We're sorry," they mumbled. Superman figured that was the best he was going to get out of them, so it was time to let them go. He narrowed his eyes and beams of heat lanced out, melting the ice in which he had entrapped them. The dragons became even more terrified as they watched him slice through the ice with his vision alone. The moment they were free, they all flapped their wings and flew away as fast as they could. Superman chuckled and tuned back to the pony that he had rescued. She was a regular pony with a red-ish mane and a rose on her side. She had a saddlebag that, when Superman used his x-ray, contained volcanic soil. She glanced up nervously at him with a smile.

"Um, thanks?" she said awkwardly. Superman gave her one of his smiles and knelt down to get to her level.

"Not a problem, miss..."

"Roseluck," the pony finished for him. Her name was Roseluck? He could've guessed that.

"Well then Miss Roseluck, what were you doing in a dangerous part of the world like this by yourself--If you don't mind me asking?" Superman knew the reason she was here: that volanic soil was to help her roses, which he assumed she grew. What he wanted to see was her reaction to him. He had just flattened four teenage dragons without breaking a sweat. That would be terrifing to some species that were more advanced than these ponies.

"W-well, the gardeners' competition was coming up, so I figured I'd need an edge in the competition to win. After all, Applejack and her family take really good care of their--"

"One moment," Superman said, cutting her off. He turned around and waited a few seconds. Just as he had expected, a massive dragon landed right in front of him. He had heard its wingbeats from a mile away with ease, but he had been hoping that it wasn't there to bother him. Cleary, he was wrong.

"Can I help you?" he asked while Roseluck hid behind his legs again. The dragon snarled at him and rose to its full height, towering over the two. It let out a roar that shook the earth beneath them. Roseluck cowered behind Superman's legs with a whimper, whereas Superman just raised an eyebrow.

"Alright, what do you want?" Superman asked, a bit annoyed. The dragon sneered and bent over to look at Superman.

"You're the one who attacked my son," the dragon snarled. Roseluck's eyes went wide as she realized who this one.

"You're the leader of the dragons here," she said in a whisper. The massive dragon nodded and breathed out a column of smoke onto the two. Roseluck started to cough, but Superman was unfazed.

"If you're talking about that jerk of a bully dragon who attacked this pony here, then I only dissuaded your son from bothering this pony." Roseluck gasped as the dragon's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Nopony talks about my son like that," it said in a deadly whisper. The massive dragon reeled back and inhaled with such ferocity that flocks of birds had to flap their wings twice as fast to avoid being sucked in. Roseluck stood in place, expecting certain death to follow. Superman rolled his eyes and held out his hand.

"Get behind me," he said to Roseluck. She hid behind his legs and covered her eyes. The dragon roared and let a tsunami of flames down upon the two, bathing them in fire. Roseluck still hadn't opened her eyes, but as the heat washed over her she realized that she was still alive. She opened her eyes to see an incredible sight. Superman was standing in the center of the flames, with one hand out. He was using one hand to split the fire in two around him and Roseluck. The dragon finally stopped the flames, expecting to see the two as ash. Instead, it was greeted by a stunned Roseluck and an annoyed Superman.

"W-what magic is this?" the dragon asked, shaking it's head in confusion. It raised a fist over its head and started to bring it down on Superman. Roseluck once again ducked beneath the Man of Steel and covered her head with her hooves. Superman held up his arm and caught the dragon's fist in his hand. He placed his other hand under the dragon's wrist and swung the massive beast over his head. The dragon smashed into the ground with a massive shockwave as a result and blinked twice, trying to figure out what had just happened. Superman floated onto's its chest while Roseluck tried to remove her jaw from the ground.

"Now then, what was that all about?" Superman asked the dragon, looking it in the eyes.

"You attacked my son," it growled, trying to get back up. Superman placed a boot on its chest and pushed it back onto the ground.

"Let's get one thing clear. I did not attack your son. I only did what I had to do so I could protect that pony over there. Your son started the fight." The dragon glared at Superman, not believing a word he was saying. Superman could see the defiance in its eyes and he shook his head with a sigh.

"Well, you don't have to believe me. But if your son tries anything like that again, I will take disciplinary measures." He hopped off the dragon and walked over to where Roseluck was still standing, dumbstruck.

"Well, how about I give you a lift home before something else shows up," he said to her with a smile. Roseluck could only nod as Superman scooped her into his arms and launched the two of them into the sky. Roseluck screamed and hung on for dear life as Superman flew across the sky at speeds faster than any airship. It felt a bit like old times to him. Helping someone out of a bad spot, then flying them somewhere safe. In a matter of seconds the two were on the outskirts of the town called Ponyville. He landed about a mile away so he wouldn't be seen and gently placed Roseluck on the ground, where she immediatly fell over.

"Are you alright?" he asked in concern. She staggered to her hooves and gave him a weak smile.

"Y-yeah, I'm...good," she muttered, trying to remain standing. "Thanks for your help. By the way, who...?" But as she turned to thank him, she found that he was already gone. For a minute, she looked at the spot where he had been standing before slowly shaking her head and walking back to town. She didn't plan to tell anypony about this; she doubted any of them would believe her. She was going to go home, get the soil on her roses, and go straight to bed. As she walked back to town, a red and blue blur was heading towards the center of the Everfree forest.

[----]

Superman's first real shock since coming to this planet awaited him when he arrived in the center of the forest. He landed just a few feet away of where he had parked the ship, but it was no longer there. Superman frowned and scanned the surrounding area in hopes that maybe he had just forgotten where he parked it. But the ship was nowhere to be seen, and it certainly wasn't in the forest. His frown deepened as he wondered what could have happened to it. The most likely scenario was that a pony had stumbled across it and had managed to move it, but where would they have taken it? And if that were the case, then he'd have to meet with the populace sooner than he had wanted.

"Well, if I'm lucky they'll repair my ship while they have it," he said with a shrug, trying to be positive. He looked up at the darkening sky, amazed that it was night so soon. Then again, it was possible the days were shorter on this planet. He watched as the moon slowly rose into the sky. Wait. While he was watching the moon rise, he thought that he had seen what looked like a Pegasus-unicorn-thing fly in front of the moon. He had heard of pegasi and unicorns, but never a hybrid of the two...

"...hhheeelllpppp..."

The cry snapped Superman out of his thoughts and he launched himself skyward towards the sound of the distress call. He flew extra fast, not just because someone needed help, but also because he had heard three screams--three voices that were very familiar to him.

"How much trouble can three fillies get into in one day?" he asked himself. Within a few seconds, he was hovering over the place where he had heard the cry. He looked around and found that his suspicions were confirmed. The three fillies he had met earlier were trapped against a tree in the forest, with about ten wolves surrounding them. He didn't have time to examine the wolves, as one of them headed straight for the fillies. They screamed and closed their eyes.

BBBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Superman landed feet first in front of the wolves, the force of the landing blasted them away from the fillies. The three fillies opened their eyes slowly, huge smiles spread on their faces when the saw who had shown up.

"Supermane!" they all cried out at once. Superman turned his head to smile at them, letting them know that they were safe.

"I don't know if you can understand me, but I would leave if I were you," he said to the wolves, turning his attention back to them. They snarled and rushed at him. He sighed and got himself ready to fight. No one seemed to be taking his advice today. The first wolf lunged into the air right at his throat, but was blown away by a gust of superbreath. It hit a tree and splintered, gaining Superman's interest.

'Odd, they seem to be made of wood. Does that mean they're not alive?' He grabbed one of the wolves by the throat and activated his x-ray vision, scanning the wolf's insides. The entire thing was made out of wood, not just the exterior. There was nothing that indicated that it was alive. That meant he no longer had to hold back. He tossed the wolf he was holding into another one that was charging at him, before flying into the two and slamming them up against a tree. The wolves weren't even sawdust before Superman flew into another wolf and slammed it into the ground. Two wolves jumped at him while he had his back turned, only to be caught with a insane clothesline as Superman swung his arm into them. The remaining wolves realized that it was a hopeless battle and fled back into the woods. He smiled as he watched them go, whereas the fillies taunted the wolves.

"That's right! You only had to deal with him! Next time you fight me!" Scootaloo yelled at the retreating wolves. One turned around and snarled at her. She screamed and hid behind Superman's legs. The other two ran up to him with huge smiles.

"Thanks for the help Supermane," Sweetie Belle said with a smile. Superman rolled his eyes at the pun on his name, but smiled nonetheless.

"How'd ya know we needed help?" Applebloom asked.

"I told you. Whenever you need help, you just need to call out and I'll be there," he reminded her. Scootaloo came out from behind Superman's legs as he began to question them.

"Alright, why are you three in the forest at night? How'd you even--" Superman dodged to the side as a bolt of dark energy whizzed by his head. The fillies screamed as the bolt landed a few feet from them. Superman immediatly placed himself between the three fillies and the attacker. His eyes narrowed on his opponent, who landed a yard away from them.

She (he assumed it was a she) was a little shorter than he was, but she had a glare that seemed to pierce his invunerable skin. She had a unicorn's horn that crackled with power and pegasus wings that seemed to tremble with rage. She was midnight blue, with a black crown on her forehead. Superman recognized her as the odd pony that he had seen flying across the sky earlier.

And she was mad.