• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 23,134 Views, 2,215 Comments

Whenever You Call - Onomonopia

  • ...
82
 2,215
 23,134

Not Even a Fight

The ponies of Ponyville gazed on the scene in the center of town in fear and awe. None of them dared to get close to the scene, none of them knowing what to make of the strange creature in blue that stood underneath the dark hydra. But the CMC knew who he was and they also knew that they were safe.

"SUPERMAN!" all three of them cried out in joy. Superman smiled at them and turned his attention back to the hydra. The creature was still trying to crush him with its foot, not realizing how futile it was. Superman brought his right hand back into a fist and swung it straight into the hydra's foot. The CMC cried out in amazement just as the rest of Ponyville cried out in terror as the hydra was sent flying across the town, landing a good football field length away from the ponies. Superman watched the hydra sail away with a smile, before turning around to the three fillies.

"The three of you alright?" he asked. All three of them nodded and looked past him to where the hydra had been tossed. "How about I get you three to someplace safe?" They nodded again and Superman scooped them into his arms. He looked around for any family members of the three, spotting Applejack and her friend on a tree house across the city. With one single boost of speed, Superman made it over to the house.

"Special delivery," he said with a smile. The two ponies nearly fell off the top of the tree as he descended gently onto the roof, placing the three fillies down at his feet.

"Applejack!" Applebloom said with a smile. She ran into her sister and tossed a huge hug around her. Applejack bent over and returned the hug, tears falling down her face.

"Applebloom, yer alright. A-ah thought you were..." Applebloom released her hug and smiled at her sister.

"It's okay, we were never in any danger. Superman was there!" Applejack and Twilight each looked to Superman, who was watching the scene with a smile on his face. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle each moved to the side as Twilight approached him.

"W-who are...?"

"GGGGRRRAAAAAAOOOOOHHHHH!!!"

Superman and the ponies turned towards the hydra, which was now picking itself out of the rubble of the town. It looked around for Superman, roaring in a bloodthirsty rage.

"Excuse me for a moment," Superman said to the ponies, ascending back into the air. He flew straight for the hydra, reaching it just as soon as it turned towards him. The hydra went airborne once again as Superman collided with its side, tossing the beast back into the air. He watched as it slammed into the ground outside of the town, struggling to get back up. Superman flew in front of it, crossing his arms as all four heads turned towards him.

"I'm only going to say this once; leave," he said in his sternest voice, but he already knew how this was going to go down. The hydra roared and tried to bite down on him with one of its heads. Superman caught the creature's jaw and flung the hydra over his head. It landed in the Everfree Forest, far away from the town. Superman shook his head and turned to where the ponies needed help. He was just about to move when he heard what sounded like a laser beam. He quickly moved to the side as four beams of pure darkness flew by him and incinerated the main building in the town. Superman slowly turned around to face the hydra, which was laughing at the destruction.

"Think that's funny, do you? Hurting ponies and destroying their homes? I'll show you something that's really funny." Superman flew straight into the hydra's gut, doubling it over. He drove his shoulder into its gut and lifted it into the air over the forest. With a massive shrug, he launched the hydra into the air and quickly flew behind it. He grabbed its foot and spun it around in the air before tossing it over him with a yell. The hydra flew across the sky and landed in a field outside the town. The hydra staggered to its feet, doing its best to glare through the pain at Superman. The four heads roared and started to wrap around each other, until they formed a four-headed cannon. Darkness began to form at the center of the four heads, which now aimed for Superman.

"Cool trick. I can do it too," Superman said softly, concentrating his power into his eyes and turning them red. The hydra let loose its dark blast straight at the Man of Steel, unleashing its full power. Superman smiled and then his rage flowed forth from his eyes, letting his heat vision lance straight into the oncoming darkness. The two attacks collided and the darkness was immediatly pierced by the heat that Superman shot from his eyes. The laser continued to lance through the hydra's attack until it had completely pushed back the darkness and straight into the hydra's head.

The hydra screamed in agony as the heat vision burned through its heads, quickly turning them into ash. One last roar of rage escaped the hydra's lips before its heads were completely burned away. Superman ceased his attack and looked at the now headless hydra, which stood motionlessly. He exhaled in the body's direction and the corpse collapsed.

"Maybe I went a little overboard, but I'm fairly certain their heads grow back," he mused to himself. He shrugged his massive shoulders and turned back towards the village, taking off. He quickly reached the area above the town and slowly descended into its center, unsure what to expect. He simply stood in the center of town and waited, arms crossed and eyes closed. He could hear them coming, slowly, very slowly. He also heard their heartbeats, hearts that beat extremely fast and full of fear. Then he heard a sound that made him smile. Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were running his way.

"THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!!" all three of them yelled as they all tried to skid to a stop at the same time, which resulted in a pile up. The three laughed as Superman bent down to meet them.

"GIRLS! GET AWAY FROM THAT!" All four of them looked to the sound of the voice and a rainbow blur flew straight into Superman's chest. He did his best to move backwards so the pegasus wouldn't break herself on his body. The moment she connected, she bounced to the side and rolled across the ground, coming up in an attack stance.

"Get. Away. From them," she said in a dangerous voice. Superman simply raised an eyebrow and looked down at the three.

"You know her?" he asked them.

"Didn't you hear what I said?!" the rainbow pegasus screamed. Superman rolled his eyes.

"Yes, I'll be with you in a moment. Now girls, do you know her?"

"Yeah, she's Rainbow Dash, my idol!" Scootaloo said with a smile. Now that Superman knew that she wasn't a threat, he stood up and took a step back from the fillies. RD slowly walked over to the fillies, keeping her eyes on him the entire time.

"Are you three alright?" she asked them, eyes still on Superman.

"Yeah, Superman saved us!" Scootaloo said with a smile. RD looked at the three in confusion.

"Wait, you know him?" She asked. The three nodded vigerously.

"Yeah, he's Superman!" all three of them said. Rainbow Dash still wasn't sure what to make of him, but Applejack and Twilight chose that moment to run onto the scene. Applejack came to a stop next to her sister, but Twilight ran right up to Superman. He looked down at her just as she looked up at him.

"What are you?" she eventually asked.

"Who, not what. I'm Superman and I'm here to help," he said with one of his smiles. The smile just resulted in Twilight backing up a bit, not liking the look of his canines.

"So...Superman," Twilight said with some hesitation. "So what are you, a superhero?"

"I would have thought my actions would've spoken for themselves, but yes. I'm a superhero." The three of the adult ponies looked at him with some confusion, but the fillies just ran up to him again with smiles on their faces.

"I can't believe how easily you beat that hydra!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"How can you fly so fast without wings? It's not fair!" Scootaloo pouted.

"Thanks fer saving us...again," Applebloom said with a bashful smile.

"Like I said, whenever you need me," Superman replied, returning their smiles. Applejack looked from Superman to the fillies, starting to put two and two together. A small smile creased her lips and she slowly walked forward to Superman.

"So yer the one who helped ma sister and her friends on the barn?" she asked, already knowing the answer to her question. Superman smiled and nodded in response. Twilight stepped forward, about to ask another question, when a roar of rage echoed throughout the destroyed village. Everypony there looked over to find that the hydra was getting back to its feet, now with eight heads instead of four. It stood up and hissed in rage, heading back towards the city. While the majority of the population started to scream and flee, Superman let out a sigh.

"Doesn't that thing know when it's beat?" He looked down at the ponies surrounding him. "Excuse me, I'll be right back." He pointed one fist into the air and shot off towards the hydra, the force of his lift off knocking most of the ponies there over. He came to a stop right in front of the beast, which narrowed its eyes at him and hissed.

"Come on now, after our last bout do you really think you can-" He was cut off mid sentence as one of the hydra heads had turned and fired off a blast of dark energy straight towards the ponies--more particularly, the three fillies and their friends and family. None of the ponies even had time to react, as the blast of darkness--

Superman placed himself between the ponies and the dark magic, bracing himself for the pain. When the pain from the blast arrived, it arrived in force. He could feel his body cry out in agony as the pain from the magical blast washed over him, as magic was one of the few things in all the universe that could hurt him. But unlike the dreaded kyrptonite, he could withstand this. He planted both feet onto the ground where he stood and tossed his arms open, absorbing as much of the blast as he could. He looked behind him to make sure the ponies were safe and a sight greeted him that he loathed to see.

He had made a mistake.

A blast of dark magic had slipped under his arm and had headed right for Applebloom, but before the blast could hit her, an orange pony had pushed her out of the way, taking the full blast herself. She skidded across the ground and lay there silently. The one called Applejack had a nasty gash across her side and was bleeding profusely, lying motionless on the ground. Applebloom and the others were beside her, trying everything they could to stop the bleeding. The one called Twilight seemed to be using some kind of magic to try and close the wound, but the dark magic kept rejecting her own. Superman could barely see, the pain caused by the dark energy was forcing his eyes closed. But what he heard next far outstripped any pain he could experience.

"Please don't die! Ah can't lose you too!" Applebloom cried out, trying to garner a response from her motionless sister. Lose you too? Did that mean Applebloom had lost someone else in her life, someone she had loved. He was instantly reminded of his parents, his home; how he had lost it all. And now these children were going to lose everything they cared about because he couldn't fight back?

"No..." he whispered. All the ponies looked to him as his eyes began to glow red again, rage coursing through his veins. With a yell so fierce that it shook the planet to its very core, Superman unleashed his nova vision against the darkness. In the face of pure energy, the darkness had no hope of victory and was immediately blasted into oblivion by the beam. The beam decimated the darkness and headed straight for the hydra. The creature didn't even have time to blink before its heads were once again blasted into ash. It staggered back before sixteen heads emerged from the body with a roar, angered that it had been beheaded again. What it saw the moment it could see again was a blue and red blur of rage slam into the creature's gut, resulting in the creature's blood ending up on the outside of it's body. Before it could blink, Superman (still lodged in its gut) soared up into the sky, bringing the massive serpent with it. The creature roared in fury and pain as the two blew past the cloud cover, heading into the stratosphere.

He finally reached the point he wanted, hovering high over the gorgeous planet. The creature struggled to breath under these conditions, but the matter of air was quickly ignored when it realized that it was above the planet and that Superman was the only thing between it and a very long drop. Superman removed himself from the creature's gut and watched it begin to fall, before flying over and catching it around one of its throats.

"I should drop you," he said in an angry voice, allowing his eyes to grow red. The creature looked at him with it's green eyes for a moment before the green faded away. The hydra blinked twice and opened its now blue eyes. It groggily looked down at the planet, slowly comprehending where it was. All of its eyes opened in terror as it slowly looked up at Superman. Superman narrowed his eyes, noticing the change. A moment ago, this creature hadn't cared that it was floating above a planet, all it cared about was destroying him. But now...now it looked at him with eyes full of fear, eyes begging him not to let go. This was not the same creature that had tried to murder hundreds of ponies and wipe out a city. Now it was just terrified. Superman knew when the effects of mind control had worn off, he had felt the effects so many different times.

"Don't worry, I won't harm you," he said to the creature in a calming manner. The hydra looked at him in disbelief, even more so as he descended back to the planet bellow. He dropped the hydra off on an island where it wouldn't be able to harm any other pony and quickly took off towards the destroyed town. He had made it back in a manner of seconds, but by the sounds of the wails of agony, he knew he was a few seconds too late. Superman came to a halt over the center of the town, where a young filly was clutching her sister's body.

"NO! NOOO!" Applebloom screamed, clinging onto her sister's corpse. The other fillies and the other ponies around her were crying as well, some of them unable to look. He landed softly besides the crying filly, guilt tearing apart his heart. If he had been faster or had stopped the hydra before it could have fired, maybe she would still be alive. He had failed her, he had failed Applebloom. He looked around at all the destruction, taking in his failure. The burned buildings, the crushed monuments and all the dead. Finally, he looked down at the crying filly, letting her anguish wash over him. He looked to the ponies and fillies besides him, watching them cry as well. They had been friends, they had shared many great times together and now she was gone...because he had been slow. Finally, he looked at Applejack with x-ray vision, hoping against hope.

Wait a second...her brain was still giving off brainwaves. Her mind was still working! But if her mind was working, that meant that she hadn't fully died yet. He quickly scanned her heart and found to his joy that it had only come to a stop. She hadn't bled out, her heart had stopped from the impact of the dark blast. That meant there was a--

He didn't even allow himself to finish that thought, as he scooped the not-dead pony up in his arms. Before the others could yell or even ask what he was doing, he rocketed off into the sky. With the lack of any modern hospitals that he had seen on this planet, there was only one place to find the electricity he needed now: a thunderstorm. With speed that no mortal could comprehend, he flew across the globe in search of the perfect storm. He found it over a desert, with lightning and rain to spare. Without a moment's thought, he flew into the dark storm, black clouds surrounding him and the howling rain beating against his suit. The cloud with the greatest amount of electricity was his target and his only chance. Once stationed in the center of the cloud, he turned his attention to the wound. Using his heat vision, he slowly closed the bleeding wound on her side. While magic might not work, cauterizing usually did. This time the wound stayed closed, allowing Superman to wait for the lightning.

The first bolt was not long in coming. He saw the flash off to his right and quickly flew to intercept it, the bolt of lightning striking him square in the back. Superman gritted his teeth as the electricity flooded through his body, but also into the pony laying limp in his arms. He was using his body to absorb most of the shock, only allowing the amount that was needed to reach the pony's body. He watched as the electricity reached the heart, the currents pulsating through it. Come on...YES! The heart had moved on its own, the electricity restoring life to her. But it wasn't enough, he needed more electricity.

For the next thirty seconds, Superman flew back and forth, intercepting lightning bolt after lightning bolt. With each electrical strike, the heart began to beat more and more. He flew into one last lightning bolt, feeling the currents flow through them both. Finally, her heart started beating on its own. He watched as the blood began to flow, restoring life to the pony's body. After a few seconds, Applejack finally opened her eyes and looked up at the Man of Steel.

"Superman? Wha...Where am I?" she asked in confusion, looking around at the thunderstorm. She screamed and nearly jumped out of Superman's arms as a bolt of lightning nearly hit them. While she screamed in terror, Superman let out a sigh of relief, glad that he had managed to save her. He turned with a smile as Applejack clung to his chest and flew off towards Ponyville.

{><}

He had to admit, he was not expecting the kind of response he got when he returned. He had slowly landed in the center of the town, crouching down so that he could place Applejack on the ground. She staggered a little, but gave him a grateful smile. He smiled back and looked up to see a stampede of ponies heading for him. Leading the charge was Applebloom, tears running down her face as she rushed towards her sister.

"Hey, Applebl--"

"AAAAPPPPPLLLEEEEEEJJJJJJAAAAACCCKKKKK!" Applebloom cried, tackling her sister and knocking them both over. While Applebloom cried and her sister comforted her, the other ponies finally caught up to them. The rainbow one and the other two fillies ran over to Applejack, tackling her back to the ground. Twilight on the other hand, walked over to Superman, who was smiling at the heartwarming reunion.

"How?" she asked him.

"What do you mean?" he asked her, turning his attention away from the others. Twilight was looking at him with suspiscion in her eyes and a bit of fear.

"How did you bring her back? She was dead. No heartbeat, no movement; NOTHING! How could you bring her back? What are you?" Superman rolled his eyes and stood up, walking towards the pony.

"Again, I'm not a what, I'm a who. And like I said earlier, I am-" Once again, Superman was interrupted by a blast of magic that hit him in the side of his head. The magic was strong enough to toss the Man of Steel across the town center like a ragdoll and he only came to a stop when he slammed into the side of a building. He shook his head and got back to his feet, looking into the sky from where the attack had come.

A majestic chariot was floating in the air, pulled by two white pegasi with golden armor. What interested him the most was the alicorn inside. She was a pure white, with a sun on her flank. Her mane flowed with a multitude of colors, with a golden crown completing the look. But what was the most interesting was her eyes. Eyes full of rage.

"YOU DARE ATTACK OUR SUBJECTS?" she roared with authority, power crackling off her body. Superman shook his head in disbelief and sighed.

"Here we go a-" He moved to the side as another blast of pure magic blasted by him. The alicorn began to unleash a torrent of magic down upon him from her horn, unleashing her full power in an effort to exterminate him. Superman could see each attack before it could reach him, giving him plenty of time to dodge out of the way. With each of his dodges, the alicorn got more and more frustrated.

"For the love of, I have no interest in hurting your subjects!" he yelled out to her, still having to dodge her attacks.

"YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE YOU?! YOU WHO CAME FROM SPACE IN A WAR VESSEL AND DESTROYED THIS TOWN?!" she roared, unleashing more fire down upon him. While he continued to dodge, he noticed that a number of shots had almost hit a few civilians. This was getting out of hand, she was endangering innocent lives now. Time to end this. In the blink of an eye, Superman moved from the center of the town to right in front of the princess. Before she could move, he grabbed her by the horn and lifted her over the side of the carriage. The ponies watching couldn't taking their eyes off the battle, none of them daring to move.

"That's enoug-" The alicorn unleashed her power through her horn, burning Superman's hand. He let go for a second, pulling his hand back. Then she unleashed her full power. A pure beam of magical energy slammed into his chest, nearly burning through his suit. He was tossed from the carriage and tossed through the sky before being driven into the ground. The impact created a small crater and the magic pinned Superman to the ground. He groaned and looked up to see a giant ball of energy being tossed at him, causing a massive explosion when it hit the ground. Celestia finally let up, panting heavily after exerting so much of her power in one fight. She looked at the smoking crater, relieved that she had won. Whatever she had fought, it had been tough. Nopony could survive that much magic, bur for a moment she had believed it did. With the creature defeated, she flew off her carriage and landed next to the ponies.

"Do not worry, you are all safe now," she said in a exhausted tone. The reaction they gave her was not what she had expected.

"What the heck, princess? Why'd you go and do that?" Scootaloo asked in a rage.

"Yeah, why'd you hurt Superman?" Sweetie Belle added. Celestia looked at the both of them in confusion.

"What do you-"

"Superman just saved mah sister's life! He didn't deserve that!" An infuriated Applebloom yelled. "And you just went and...and..." Celestia realized that she was looking behind her and slowly turned around. Standing right behind her was a very annoyed Superman. Celestia fired another blast at him, only to watch as he seemed to vanish into the air. She felt a hand place itself on her shoulder, a hand that was filled with power.

"As I was saying. Enough." Celestia slowly backed up, not believing her eyes. She had unleashed her full power upon him, everything she had in her arsenal and it had done nothing but anger this creature. He walked right up to stare into her eyes, watching as the pupils shrank down to a very small size. He stared into her eyes for a moment before walking right past her over to Applejack, crouching down to her level.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"F-fine, thanks fer asking," she replied in an awed tone. He used his x-rays to check her internal injuries, making sure everything was okay. A frown crossed his face when he saw that the damage wasn't permanently repaired, only temporarily so. "You need to get to a hospital, you're still hurt." Applejack looked at him in confusion, but his tone told her that he wasn't kidding.

"Come on, I'll take you to a hospital," he told her, scooping her back into his arms. He looked to the east to see a nearby hospital and had turned to fly off to it when Celestia stepped in front of him.

"And why should I let you fly off with Applejack?" she asked him in a threatening tone. Superman sighed and rolled his eyes. Was she seriously doing this now?

"Okay. First: because you can't stop me. Two: because she needs a hospital. And third..." Superman took off faster than any of them could blink and headed for the hospital that he had seen on his way back. Celestia yelled at him and took to the sky to follow him, leaving the other ponies to only stare in awe.