• Published 8th Sep 2011
  • 1,427 Views, 11 Comments

Amongst the Stars - everydaydude



The lone survivors of a battle between their two races above Equestria find themselves stranded.

  • ...
 11
 1,427

Convergence

Celestia scanned over the letter that appeared before her in a burst of green flame. It was during a thirty minute pause between any appointments she had for that day, though she still remained in her audience chamber, seated upon her elevated throne, two ever present guards flanking the stairs leading up.
As she read the scroll, her usually neutral face that she would put on during her court sessions turned to one of worry. She read it again, just to be sure. Using her magic to levitate a quill and a blank piece of parchment, she began her reply. The only sound that filled the spacious chamber was that of a quill scratching away, with the occasional clink of glass when she had to replenish the ink.
When she was finished, the scroll was rolled away and disintegrated, floating away on a current of magic. When she finished, she began another letter, this time to someone who would be more practical if war did come. There was a soft chime as the thirty minute period ended, and the next petitioner entered the room. The letter swirled away on a stream of magic, much like the other, and seemed forgotten as the Princess turned to the task at hoof, her ever serious demeanor dictating her response once again.


When Twilight woke up, the sun was still high in the sky, though was on its descent towards night. She stepped out of bed, found that spike wasn’t still asleep, much to her surprise, and headed downstairs. She heard activity in the kitchen, and with the gentle relaxing aroma of tea in the air, she could easily say that it was Spike making tea. That meant he hadn’t been up that long.
As she reached the end of the stairs she saw a scroll on the table, as well as a cup of still steaming tea set out at her usual space. As she approached, levitating the scroll with her magic, Spike emerged from the kitchen, carrying a tray with a tea pot and six cups.
“Sleep well?” He asked, setting the tray on the table.
“Yeah,” she said, opening the scroll but not paying any attention to it. “What did I miss?”
“That scrolls came from the Princess earlier, and the rest of the girls are coming over to see if you’re alright after what happened.”
“So that explains all the cups..” Twilight’s voice began to trail off as she read the reply.

My Faithful Student,

While this is quite shocking news to say the least, I have full faith in your abilities as a mediator. Equestria has been a nation of peace, but we are not strangers to war. I task to you, Twilight Sparkle, the bring understanding between these two, at least to the point where they will not be any more violence. When you are successful in that, bring them to my court, for I wish to know more about them. Additionally, make them feel welcome, as nothing likes to feel like an outsider.
I have complete faith that you can do this, not for me, not for ponykind, but for their kind as well. War is kind to nothing. Do what you can to end it.
Your dearest teacher,
Princess Celestia.

Twilight lowered the letter, sighing slowly. She closed her eyes and processed the information. It wasn’t what she expected, but at the same time it was: her mentor had a past history of tasking her with something difficult, and usually life threatening....
“What did it say?” Spikes curiosity broke her from her thoughts.
“Oh,” Twilight scanned the letter again to make sure she got everything. “Wellll...she wants me to try and make peace between the two, while learning as much about them as possible.” Her and Spike just stared at each other for a few moments.
“Well,” Spike started, unsure of what to say, “do, uh, you think that’s a good idea? You saw how desperately they wanted to kill each other.”
“Well we also thought it would be impossible for Fluttershy to make a dragon cry.”
“True, but this is different Twilight!”
“How?”
“They’re aliens. Ponies have been afraid of being taken away and invaded by them for years!”
“And other than them being from space, what is different from any other danger we’ve encountered?”
“Well, they’re dangerous.”
“Like that dragon?”
“Well yeah, but we aren’t sure what all they can do.”
“Just like Discord.”
“Well yeah, but-”
“Spike I’m not afraid of facing them. The only worry I have is if I can’t resolve this conflict. Other than that I have nothing to worry about.”
“Okay Twilight,” Spike began filling the other tea cups that he had spaced around the table. “Just be careful, okay?”
“Don’t worry. I already have a plan.” Her statement was punctuated by a self satisfied smile.
Their attention was grabbed by a knocking at the door.
“I’ll get it,” Spike said, “It must be the girls.”
“Good,” Twilight said, levitating a quill and a piece of parchment over to the table. The door opened revealing the faces of her five friends. “Have a seat. We have some planning to do.”
The five exchanged curious glances with each other before directing their gaze towards the seated member.
“Uh, Twi,” Applejack spoke up, “You sure you’re feeling quite right? I mean, that little hospital visit of yours couldn’t have been too settling for ya.”
“Really darling,” Rarity spoke, raising a hoof, “It can’t be good for you to be going back to the two p-..things that nearly cost you your life!”
Twilight waved that off with a hoof. “Oh please, they just caught me off guard after all. Besides, I never was really in danger: they were too intent on fighting each other to notice me.”
Rarity and the others exchanged glances.
“Besides,” Twilight continued, “I have a plan that would instill peace between them and make them welcome in our society for however long they’ll be here.”
“Alright, if you’re sure bout this being a good idea,” Applejack said, “what’s the plan?”
“First step, is I go talk to them where they’re being held.”
“About what?” Rainbow Dash Inquired, “Didn’t you talk to one of them earlier?”
“Yes but not the other, and this time they’ll both be there so they can both respond. It’s
better that way.”
“Alright, and then what?”
“We release them.” Twilight elaborated after getting shocked looks from her friends. “Only temporarily, and under watch, and they’ll be separated.”
“And why in the hay are you gonna release them?” Applejack asked, confused.
“Well, that way we can show them around town, introduce them to pony society. My theory is that if they’re exposed to the peaceful nature of ponyville long enough, that that in conjunction with my sessions talking and gaining understanding with them will eventually bring about a peaceful solution to their conflict.”
“Awefully trustin’ of ya Twi.”
“I trusted you when you told me to fall off of a cliff.”
“Well you was gonna be safe, but how can we tell with these....aliens?”
“I’ll be fine Applejack. And if things do get violent, I always have my magic. I’m pretty
sure I can whip up a spell that’ll put them to sleep if they become too aggressive.”
“Oooh! OOOhh!” Pinkie Pie bounced up and down where she stood. “Find out if they like cupcakes!” Twilight chuckled, having little doubt that her pink friend was already planning out a party. That was good: if one was willing to get behind her plan, then the others surely will. Slowly they discussed exactly how they would carry out Twilight’s plan. Only one face remained frowning during the discussion. Rainbow Dash growled inwardly, still wanting to buck those two in the face, despite what Twilight said.



Clark shot up with a jolt, hitting his head on something hard and flat. He grunted in pain, his joints still stiff, and rubbed his head.
“Careful human,” A deep voice reverberated somewhere to his right, causing Clark to snap his head towards it. “Wouldn’t want you to be felled by a bed now would we?”
“I’m gathering you can’t reach me in any way because i’m miraculously intact,” was his response. He glanced around his immediate surroundings. He was in a wide room, and he now sat on a wooden platform longer than he was tall and wide enough to lay two of him side by side. Above it was an identical board, both being set into the wall at his left. The wall and floor were stone, and the only light was of a single light source in the hallway, which lay beyond their line of sight.
As his eyes adjusted, he was able to discern Vra’sta, chained to the floor but thick iron links. Parts of them gleamed, evidence of attempts to claw out of them. Now, he just sat there, silent and immobile, his slitted eyes tracking every one of Clarks movements.
“Well, you just going to give me the death stare or do we have any interesting conversation?”
“I have no plans to make conversation with you, glorified simian.”
“You’re terrible company.”
“That doesn’t bother me.”
“Come on! We’re in the same boat here, in case you haven’t noticed. And if they boats sinking you gotta go down together.”
“I’d hold your head under the water.”
“You know i’ve always wondered what I exactly did to make you, specifically, hate me so much. I’ve defeated plenty of Draco commanders, what makes you so special?”
“You committed the gravest dis-honor a Draco could face.”
“I thought defeat was.”
“No you ignorant ape! I was defeated in a klextal blestar,” Vra’sta paused, then explained. “An end duel. You and your opponent are on the verge of death, and you fight with what you were born with. Claws, horns, teeth, hands. And you defeated me, but you did not grant me a death.” The Draco gritted his teeth, audible to the human sitting several feet away. “Instead you captured me, when I was unable to fight. You displayed me, paraded me. I was your trophy and your reason for receiving such a position!”
Clark sat, listening in silence, his face unreadable.
“For that, when I escaped and returned I was stripped of my title. My mane was burned off, every talisman and trophy torn out beforehand. My honor blade was smashed in front of me. My brothers and sisters turned their backs upon me, and my only surviving daughter revoked my name from the clan history.” Small glints of water gleamed on the warrior's eyes, before building and rolling down his reptilian snout. “I only regained part of my power, through ruthless and brutal fighting. I was lucky to be able to acknowledged as a Draco because I was still a formidable fighter. But I can not go to my grave without rectifying my shame.”
Clark sat in silence for some time. The cell was heavy with silence. It was more oppressive than the chains and bars that locked the two in place, and more foreboding than the dark between the stars.
“So,” Clark finally said, his voice dangerously low. “What happend on Scillian is why you hate me? Good, at least we share that.” Clark fished around in his clothing until he was able to produce a small square of paper. “My reasons for hating you are on this.” He tossed it, the small square fluttering down until it landed within reach of the draco. He turned it over, his claws sheathed to avoid tearing it.
The picture was of a young looking, auburn haired woman with two identical looking auburn haired boys standing in front of her. She waved to whoever was taking the picture while the two boys saluted. They were all smiling broadly. On the back, in tight flowing script was written “Be brave daddy! Love Audra, Chance, and Jacob.”
“Your kin?” Vra’sta asked bluntly.
“Family. Wife and sons. Killed in the initial strike on Scillian.”
“I had no part in that.”
“They were your soldiers!” Clarks voice raised angrily. “Your orders! I already killed the ones who butchered them, but you're responsible for theirs and countless other innocents death on that planet!”
“It was not my intent!” Vra’sta shouted, standing as high as the chains would allow him.
Clark shouted back, anger adding power to his voice. “If it wasn’t your intent to kill than why go to war?”
“I went to war to protect my people from you pestilent humans!”
“The Dracos were tearing themselves apart, your race would always look for an excuse for war!”
“Your people fired the first shot!”
“On a military installation encroaching on declared terran space! You wiped out a civillian population center!”
“We were attacking the garrison! It was not our intent to be drawn into the city and wage war there!”
Clark calmed, but stood as defiant as we was. In an even tone with an inflection of arrogance, he stated, “Yeah, well it wasn’t my intent to leave you alive either, but look what happened. War’s a bitch like that, isn’t it?”




Spectre one made camp on the southern slope of the mountain range his Personal Tactical Insertion Pod had landed in. To the west of him, a sprawling city clung to the mountain side. He had observed it from a safe distance for the past couple hours. He could not accurately make out its denizens from his distance, but he could make out four legged figures walking in the streets, hauling wagons, or occasionally flying in from above to land on one of the many high reaching towers.
Tomorrow, he told himself, he’d move in closer, keeping out of sight. That wouldn’t be a problem for him, his suits armor upgraded with a chameleon effect, but his training told him to not rely on that. If he was spotted he was order to eliminate witnesses.
Worry gnawed at the back of his mind. He was here to scout military positions and likely areas of resistance, but all he could see in the city was general civilian activity, even if it was non-human. Besides, he had seen no evidence of mass transportation, other than a few railroad tracks leading away from the city. That meant this civilization couldn’t be beyond tier 5.
Spectre one leaned back under the rock face, opening his ready to eat food ration. Wilkerson was a weird one, he thought to himself. Just what was he planning now that he commanded the 76th expeditionary force? The stealth soldier glanced at himself, his guns, and back into the mountain where his PTIP sat.
“Doesn’t look like peace,” He said out loud, sighing. “That’s for sure.”



With a puff of smoke and a hiss the scroll popped into existence at the talons of Grynn Grulflock. The grizzled griffon king took the scroll and read it. His eyes read and re-read the sheet of parchment, as if trying to figure out exactly what they said. Finally, sighing, he set the scroll down.
“What’s the matter Khan Grynn?” One of his guards asked him.
The griffon king gave a short laugh. “Nothing major, except I believe my old friend Celestia has gone insane with immortality.” He rose from his old, scarred throne. “I’ll be heading to Equestria to check on her.”
“Right now Khan?”
“Yes right now? In the years you’ve served me when have you known me to wait? Especially on those I call friend? Now, quit dallying, inform the steward.” The griffon adjusted his badges of office, a red patch of cloth and a broadsword strapped to his back. He stepped out of his hall, onto a balcony which overlooked a great drop into a cavern below.
“You intend to go without a guard?”
“If I wanted a guard I would have asked for one. I’ll return in a few days Orlak.” With those words, the Griffon king launched himself into the air, wings propelling him quickly down and south. The high winds buffeted him, but he stayed on course, eyes narrow with determination.
The contents of the scroll had bothered him very deeply.

Comments ( 2 )

Much obliged if you would put something in between the paragraphs when you change perspectives/scenes. It's very confusing otherwise. Still good though. Some how I get the feeling Twilight's talk won't goas planned. There'll be some lulz to be had there :pinkiehappy: .

I only got around to reading this chapter today after I found it buried under loads of other stories. I enjoyed this chapter, Human and Dracos despise one another for atrocities commited against the other. Interesting dynamic between Clark and his reptilian co-prisoner, they're in the same ship so to speak and have both lost what they cherish most.

Login or register to comment