• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 765 Views, 5 Comments

Dreams Of Equastria - Grinning Cheshire



Is it possible to exist in two different worlds? What if, those two worlds began to draw closer? What if, they were both doomed? What if, you couldn't save either one? What if, you didn't want too?

  • ...
1
 5
 765

Eyes of a fire.

The small, white dove cooed softly as it perched on the outstretched, gloved hand. Slowly, so as not to frighten its new companion, Pyro lifted its other hand and began to stroke the beautiful bird. In response, it snuggled against the mercenary’s hand, and cooed again. Under the black gas mask, the unknown face smiled; it had been a long time since anything had acted calm around the killer, as its own teammates would give the fire-bug a wide birth, even the Heavy acted nervous around it. The reason for their behavior was obvious, for the Pyro was well known for setting its enemies on fire, with no mercy shown at all.

That much was deserved, as the Pyro truly did not feel sorry for any of its enemies that it had burned to death. For one, they always came back (Well, most of them did), and secondly, the life of the beautiful fire was worth more to it than the lives of the BLU duplicates that it had fought with before the attack of the metal robots. A fact that the others on RED were aware of, which had actually caused them to respect their mute teammate a little more than they did each other.
Or perhaps they just didn’t want to have deal with an angry arsonist on their own team trying to kill them; Pyro assumed it was more likely the latter.

Yet, this dove had shown no fear at all toward the living-suit, coming to it for warmth and protection.

Warmth… what irony, and how fitting…

The psychotic RED member glanced out at the now calm snowy battlefield that the mercenary force was currently stationed at. In the distance, the giant transport could still be seen, indicating that there would be a second attack soon enough, but the machines had to reinforce their army.
Honestly, the arsonist could not wait until that happened, it was starting to get sick of this cold, and really wanted to set something on fire.

A dove… In the cold north. Something was not right about that.
Pyro, though not really knowledgeable at all when it came to things of nature, knew that birds migrated away from frozen wastelands such as this one. So why was this dove here?
As if in answer to the Merc’s silent question, the bird’s head turned quickly, as it let out another coo. Pyro suddenly noticed the sound of crunching footsteps walking towards it, and it turned slightly to see who was coming.

“Geminus! There you are! I have been searching for you!” A German voice rang out, as the Medic, in his white lab coat, came walking up to his teammate, who currently was still stroking the bird.

“Ah, Pyro. I zee you have been enjoying nature with the wise Geminus.”

When his teammate turned its head in what Medic could only guess was a questioning look, the doctor explained.

“Geminus was a Greek astronomer and mathematician. He iz not well known, but I was running out of names for my birds.” As he spoke, Medic stretched out his hand, and the dove, after cooing at Pyro one last time, flew over to its master, and perched on his fingers.

“Anyvay, I actually vas looking for you. After your injury in ze last fight, I vaunted to examine your head. To make sure nothing vas damaged. My medi-gun is not perfect, after all.”

Grinning suddenly, the Medic added “Besides, your brain is such an interesting specimen, I am anxious to examine it further.”

The Pyro simply sighed, and turned away from the broken window it had been looking out of. It knew that refusing to allow the ‘doctor’ to examine it would cause more problems than simply bearing whatever painful experiment the Medic wanted to try at that moment. Screaming in agony with needles in you would be over a lot quicker than lying on the battlefield with missing body parts because the Medic refused to heal you.
Not that the Pyro actually screamed…

Either way, you would end up in respawn, but the Medic was usually quick about making mistakes, while bleeding out was more unpleasant; but not by much.
Not that it mattered to Pyro; the mercenary was used to pain by now. However the strange, dull pulsing in its head was beginning to annoy it. Maybe the Medic could fix that.

And maybe horses could fly, and Spy would stop being such a sneak.
It hated that snobby French backstabber.

In other words, it willingly followed Medic to his makeshift ‘operating room’, silently walking while the team’s healer rambled to Geminus, who had perched on his shoulder.

“I am certain that an injection of zat substance directly into ze brain could not be too harmful… Still, it iz good that ze Pyro will simply respawn is anything goes wrong… I vonder if I could keep the old body’s brain to experiment on?”

Pyro sighed again, and made a note to burn its old bodies from now on.
Ignoring whatever the Medic next, it focused on a strange noise it had been hearing for the past few minutes.
It did not make any sense, but Pyro could swear it heard… Bird song…
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"They… sound beautiful…”
Fluttershy bows her head slightly, but does smile at my compliment.

“Oh, thank you. I have been helping them learn to sing in harmony. They are incredibly talented birds.”
One of the five said birds chirps what I can only assume is a thank you; it is the largest one, with bright red feathers.
“No, I do mean it, sir. Your group has learned much more quickly than I expected. There is not much more I will be able to teach you.”
The timid pony must have noticed the surprise in my eyes, as she suddenly blushes and looks away.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot to mention, I can speak to animals… It’s my special talent…”

Well, one surprise after another. First, a stranger gives me lounging during a snow storm, she feeds me breakfast, daisy sandwiches turn out to be really tasty, I learn that a pony can conduct birds like an orchestra, and that she can talk to animals.
Also, the fact she can fly kind of surprised me, in fact Fluttershy hovers just over the ground most of the time.
Speaking of which…

“How… Do you do… that?” I ask, still not used to this raspy voice, or speaking in general.
“Do what? Speak to animals? I just have a connection to them…”
While this could be interesting, I’m much more interested in getting my hooves out of the snow. We had to go out of Fluttershy’s house to hear the birds sing, and while it was at my request, I’m beginning to think it is not worth it; no matter how good the stupid fowl sound.
It’s rude to interrupt somepony while they’re speaking, but I am starting to develop frost bite.

“No… How do you… fly?”
Apparently, this is a stupid question, as the look she gives me is one of confusion.

“Um… I’m a Pegasus pony, like you, we can fly.”
As soon as she says this, Fluttershy lets out a gasp.
“Oh, can you not fly? I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to offend you…”

It is rude of me, but I can’t help but laugh at her. My laugh, however, is more of a wheezy cough. I think I need to get my throat checked out, as I am pretty sure I should not sound like this.
“You… didn’t offend me, Fluttershy. I’m… just confused… My wings don’t feel like they could lift me up.”
Well, she doesn’t seem to care that I laughed at her, so that’s good. She just seems surprised.

“What do you mean? Haven’t you always had wings?”
Huh…. That’s a good question. I’ve had them ever since I started existing, but they feel… strange. My body is obviously shaped to accommodate them, so they must be natural; and Fluttershy has them as well, so it’s not just me…
But they just don’t feel right!
Fluttershy lets out a squeak as I angrily stomp a hoof into the snow, its icy needles stinging my skin. Letting out a sigh, I give the other Pegasus a slight smile.

“I’m sorry. Can… We just go inside? I’m… cold.”
The shy Pegasus nods and we both head into the house. I didn’t mean to be rude, but I’m sick of the snow, and the cold. I’m also annoyed that, despite always having things wings, I don’t know how to control them.
Hm… Maybe…
No, it doesn’t work. I tried moving the muscles in my wings, but they feel weak, and I can barely make them stretch out.
Though, that’s more than I managed earlier, so I guess it’s an improvement.

“’Um… Miss Phoenix…”
I stop shaking the snow off my hooves to look at my benefactor, who is now hiding even further behind her mane.
Gee, I wonder what she is going to say.
“I’m sorry for upsetting you, I shouldn’t have asked about your wings…”
I do not like how guilty I feel right now. This Pegasus is just so nice and polite it’s almost criminal to make her feel bad.
“It was very rude of me, and I hope you aren’t still mad.”

“I was never… mad at you, Fluttershy. I’m just…. Confused, right now. I don’t know where I am…. I can’t control… these wings, while you are… able… to fly. It doesn’t make any sense… And I don’t even know why I am here. My life began…. Last… night…”
My little tangent is cut short by a coughing fit. My lungs feel like they’re burning, and while the pain doesn’t bother me, I’m unable to catch my breath.
I’m pretty sure that some celestial being is laughing at the mare that began life with bad organs.
Thankfully, Fluttershy doesn’t find it funny.

“Oh dear, I hope you aren’t getting a cold. Um… Do you mind lying down? I can get you some soup…”
No, I’d rather just stand on your welcome mat and suffer. But to be nice, I’ll nod for you.
Muttering some last instructions about getting comfortable, the introverted Pegasus hurries off into her kitchen, to make soup, I guess.
Hmm, I’ve never tasted soup before. Or have I? It doesn’t matter.
I finally manage to get my cough under control, and pull the blanket around me as tight as one can with hooves. Being out there in the snow has once again removed the warmth I felt, and now even the small home feels frigid.
It’s only been a few seconds since Fluttershy left the room, but I can’t take this icy feeling that wraps around me. I don’t like it, in fact I hate it.
I need heat, I need fire…

Fire…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fluttershy hummed softly as she stirred the pot of carrot soup. Since Angel Bunny was very particular about what he ate, she had long since perfected the recipe for this simple, but tasty meal.
“I do hope Miss Phoenix will feel better soon. She’s… a very strange pony, but I think she is just confused.”
Aforementioned Angel Bunny was standing next to his caretaker, giving her a disapproving look. He made several frantic gestures with his paws, as if he was trying to talk some sense into the mare.
“Angel! You shouldn’t say that! She may be different, but that’s what we thought about Zecora, and she is nice… But also kind of creepy…” Fluttershy let out an involuntary whimper, before taking a breath and going back to stirring the soup.
“But Phoenix has been nice enough to us. And as soon as she is better I’ll take her to Ponyville. It would be much more comfortable for her there than sharing space with all our animal family. I know she is creepy, especially her voice. But we must not judge her for it.”
The white rabbit huffed, before turning his back on his caretaker, before suddenly letting out a loud squeak of fright.

“Angel, what’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked worriedly, looking away from the stew pot at the scared bunny, who was frantically pointing into the main room. At that instant, a blast of heat rushed over Fluttershy’s body, as she quickly hurried out of the kitchen.
And then, she froze, her wide eyes reflecting the angry, dancing flames of the powerful blaze that raged in her fireplace, the stones of which were now darkened by the fire that tried to consume them.

“Isn’t it… Beautiful?” A raspy voice asked, just barely audible over the crackling flames. Phoenix was grinning as she stared at Fluttershy expectantly, the blanket now hanging loose around her neck. Her wings stretched out to full length as the basked in the glory of the hearth’s light, so much so that the mare’s own body seemed to be glowing a vibrant orange, and her cutie mark, a flame, was much more illuminated. Her mane and tail seemed to be blown backwards by some invisible, waving as if she was in a windstorm.

The most disturbing change about Phoenix however, was the crazed look in her eyes.

“Wh…what…” Fluttershy managed to get out, her throat closing up from fear.

“The fire, isn’t it lovely? I asked it to come back for me, and it did…” There was no pause in Phoenix’s speech now, as she turned back around to gaze at the growing blaze, which was now throwing out sparks, threatening to spread to the room around it.
“Now it’s growing. It’s a nice fire…”

As Phoenix continued her ramblings, the other equestrian came to her senses. Fluttershy rushed past the crazy Pegasus, hurrying upstairs to her room. She came down seconds later with a small tied sack, and tossed it into the inferno. Breathing heavily, the shy pony was relieved as the fire started to die out, shrinking down to embers, as the magical powder suppressed it.
That taken care of, she turned her gaze, which was actually slightly angry, to her ‘guest’, but was startled by what she saw.
The orange pony’s wing now hung limply by her sides, and her coat was back to its normal look. Her mane had fallen down over the back of her head. Her eyes seemed distant, as she stared at where the fire had been. The Pegasus stood completely still, with barely a breath escaping her.
Finally, Fluttershy had the courage to speak.

“Phoenix…”
The other mare glanced at her for a second, before sitting down on the wooden floor, pulling the blue blanket around herself tightly.

“The fire… left me…”

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know I got lazy. I'll try to actually update this sooner, but I make no promises. But, thanks to everyone who liked and commented, you guys are awesome.

Comments ( 2 )

a pegasus... that can manipulate fire... this can't end well

2127567 Correction, an insane Pegasus.

Login or register to comment