• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 9,957 Views, 322 Comments

Diamond of the Capital Wasteland - Speven Dillberg



Rarity recounts her misadventures in the ruins of Washington D.C with the Lone Wanderer

  • ...
16
 322
 9,957

Prologue: Violent Homecoming

A normal day in the town of Ponyville would have meant a small farmer’s market set up near the town square, the town’s two sweet shops competing for customers and ponies walking or flying around, either going about their jobs or enjoying the weather.

“Repel the attackers!”

“For Equestria!”

“Seal those holes!”

Today was most definitely not a normal day.

In the wake of Princess Celestia’s humiliating defeat at the hooves of the Changeling queen, many groups had made attempts to upset the peace. For the most part, this was limited to vandalism and property destruction.

Unfortunately, it was only a matter of time before a few groups took things to devastating, perhaps fatal extremes. This attack on Ponyville was, mercifully, the first. For weeks, talks with the local Diamond Dog clans had been degrading severely. Today, things finally escalated to the point of no return.

“We need to stop them from getting topside!” a unicorn, kitted out in the full guard combat barding. It covered more of the body than the traditional, ceremonial armour, but sacrificed ease of movement for protection.

“And how do ya think we should do that!?” another unicorn asked, blasting a Dog with a wave of force that sent it reeling back into the hole it had just created.

Multiple cracks of thunder were heard as lightning bolts rained down, smiting Dogs as they attempted to attack. “We need those reinforcements!” one of the pegasi cried.

“Have the civvies been evacuated yet!?”

“Captain Shining Armor is seeing to it himself!”

As the battle raged, a lone mare trotted towards the town, blissfully unaware of the carnage. “I can finally have a bath,” she said happily to herself.

This mare was clad in dull green armour unlike anything seen anywhere in Equestria, quite clearly modified from its original design. Strapped to her back were a pair of weapons, with another holstered on her side. Again, they were completely unlike anything Equestrian in origin. Her royal purple mane and tail had been cropped incredibly short, and a pearlescent white horn adorned her forehead. Her white coat was marred with dirt, dust and dried blood. Saddlebags bulging with who-knew-what covered her haunches, yet the weight seemed to go unnoticed by its carrier.

When she managed to see the town of Ponyville and what was occurring within, her jaw dropped. “I just left this kind of thing!” she moaned. Mumbling angrily to herself, she unslung the longer weapon and looked down the small scope attached to it. She tutted as she picked up her pace, the weapon hovering next to her the whole way.


“They don’t stop!”

“Dawn is down!”

“This cloud’s out of juice!”

Things were only getting worse for the poor ponies. Horribly outnumbered, the unicorns had been forced into a metaphorical corner. With two of their number down and pegasus support temporarily unavailable, the only thing keeping them alive was Captain Shining Armor’s powerful shield spell.

“We just have to wait until the reinforcements come,” the stallion said, trying to remain enthusiastic.

“Little pony won’t last long!” one of the dogs exclaimed as he hammered on the barrier with his weapon. He was soon joined by five dozen others.

“Where are those reinforcements?” one of the unicorns moaned, rubbing at a forming bruise under his armour.

Without any warning, there was a crack, and one of the Dogs fell forward, his brain matter splattering all over the barrier. There were four more cracks, and a matching number of now-deceased Dogs lying on the ground, each with a new hole in their heads. As Dog and unicorn alike looked around in a panic, trying to find the source, it made itself known.

“Well, I can most definitely say that this is not what I wanted to see when I came home,” an angry voice said. “But, if this is the way things are, so be it.” The voice’s owner stepped forwards, now brandishing her other weapon in her magic.

“Another pony?” one of the Dogs asked, laughing. “Hah! Easy kill.”

“And who do you think just killed those five?” the mare asked haughtily, keeping her weapon trained on her foe. As the Dog’s expression turned to worry, she smirked. “Exactly.”

Before the Dog could say or do anything, the mare’s weapon let out a number of small explosions. He felt several burning things tear through his stomach, and he collapsed from the pain.

The mare pointed the now-smoking barrel of her weapon at another Diamond Dog. “Would anyone else care to join him? No?”

As a group, the Dogs backed away nervously. All except one, easily the largest at over seven feet tall. “You think you scare me?” he asked defiantly.

“Well, you’re certainly not the biggest thing I’ve had to kill recently,” the mare commented casually. Her weapon let out another series of bangs, this time each one aimed at the Dog’s head. In response, his head exploded in a shower of gore.

“Great,” the mare complained as she flicked a shard of bone off of her armour. “Now I really need that bath. Anyone else?” she asked as she stepped onto the Dog’s corpse.

Against such a horrendously overpowered foe, the small invading force did the only sensible thing. It took a full minute for the dust to clear, so desperate they were to escape alive.

“Well, that went rather well,” the mare said pleasantly, returning her strange weapon to her back.

“What the hay just happened?” one of the unicorns muttered.

“We got the clouds! Where do you - where are the Dogs?” a pegasus asked as she flew down. “And who are you?”

“That’s something I would like to know as well,” Shining Armor stated as he stepped forward, removing the barrier that had been keeping them safe. He kept his eyes on the strange mare, not wanting to see the violent deaths she was responsible for.

“Well, I feel insulted,” she replied playfully, putting hoof to her chest in mock distress. “Have you forgotten the mare who made that lovely dress your wife wore on her wedding day?”

The stallion blinked before his features gave way to shock. “R-Rarity?” he asked. “You’ve been missing for three months! Everypony thought you were dead!”

“Well, as you can see, I am neither missing nor dead,” she replied with a smile. Her smile faded as she looked around Ponyville, noting the number of fallen Dogs and ponies. “What happened here?”

“The Dogs were after the Elements. Something about them being ‘Tools of the False Goddesses’, I think,” a unicorn explained. “They seemed kinda nuts.”

“False Goddesses? Oh dear,” Rarity muttered. “I didn’t think things were that bad.” She shook her head, her short mane bobbing slightly. “They didn’t capture anyone, did they?”

“Most of the townsfolk got away before the bulk of the mutts showed up,” the pegasus replied. “A few injuries, but nothing too serious.”

“Well that’s a relief,” the mare sighed.

“The other Bearers have been in Canterlot for a few days, now.”

“Storm, that’s classified information,” Shining replied, shooting a glare at the pegasus.

“Hey, it’s the Bearer of Generosity. She kinda deserves to know where her friends were.”

“I had no idea the guard was so informal,” Rarity muttered.

“This is nothing, ma’am,” one of the unicorns snorted. “You should see us off-duty.”

“For all we know, it could be an imposter.”

“Then zap her with that Changeling detection spell. Seriously, it can’t be that - ”

A Diamond Dog burst out of the ground without any kind of prior warning, wrapping its arms around the pegasus. “No-one move! Or pony dies!” it growled.

Before any of the guardsponies could react, there was a strange metallic paff and the Dog fell, a hole in its throat. As it coughed out a mouthful of blood, Rarity calmly walked up to it , her third and smallest weapon floating in her magic, and fired another round between her enemy’s eyes, cutting short his agony.

As they stared in shock at this incredibly casual act of violence, she holstered her pistol and turned to Shining Armor. “I don’t suppose a chariot to Canterlot is out of the question?”

Author's Note:

Okay, this will follow the basic idea of the likes of Halo: On the Wings of Angels and Into the Black: A Mare's Tale. Of course, the obvious difference is that it's Rarity, and I'm dumping her in the Washington D.C ruins.

I've already got the basic idea for this Wanderer. It won't be Dom from my other story, but a new one.

Also, I'm after a picture of Rarity in combat armour.