• Published 10th Jan 2012
  • 1,494 Views, 34 Comments

Hearts of Ice and Souls of Fire - Taranasauruso_o



Nightmare Moon and Discord return. Pip and his friends must set out on a quest to save Equestria.

  • ...
 34
 1,494

An Icy Reception

Chapter 3

-

An Icy Reception

The wind gashed and tore at his coat, causing the fabric to ripple and flex. Snow battered against his face, nearly sending him blind as it threw itself at him. He could hear the hoofsteps of his companions, masked only by the sound of his own, as they followed him blindly through the blizzard. Pip turned his head to the left, attempting to make out the grey blur that struggled through the snow next to him. A light yellow scarf fluttered from the blur’s neck, acting like a shining beacon in the haze of white.

“Dinky!” Pip shouted, his voice barely a whisper above the roar of the wind. “That you?!” The blur moved closer, expanding slightly as it came into focus. It was indeed Dinky, who was shivering slightly from the cold.

“Y-you called?” she asked, her teeth chattering. Pip was shaking as well, but the red scarf he wore kept most of his body heat inside.

“Yeah, do you think we should stop?”

Dinky cocked her head. “Why? We’ve only been walking for a few hours.”

“And we’re getting nowhere fast,” Pip said, stopping. He turned around to face his group of friends, who trailed a little way behind. Applebloom, Twist, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo all huddled in a tight group, using each other for warmth. They all smiled when they noticed him turning around.

Scootaloo spoke up. “Something you wanted?”

“Yeah!” Pip called out over the wind. “I think we should call it a day, we’ll continue tomorrow when the weather’s died down!” Scootaloo and the others visibly sagged, letting the physical pain show. They all dropped their packs onto the ground, propping them up in a pile as some form of wind shield.

Pip turned back to Dinky, his saddle bags already sliding off his back. “I’ll set up the tent, you go join the others.” Dinky smiled, then complied, heading off in the direction of the small barrier. Pip tore open the bag and busied himself with the tent preparations.

Minutes passed, filled only with the sound of Pip’s work and the consistent howling of the wind. Snippets of conversation drifted over from the others, filling the crisp air with sounds of their laughter.

Dinky, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom and Twist all sat with their backs to the wall of bags they were using as a wind shield. Dinky had, using her limited knowledge of magic, created a small fire that the group now huddled around, chatting. The conversation drifted between topics, but generally centred around one specific thing; what had happened during the previous day.

Sweetie Belle led the discussion, her high and energetic voice drowning the others out.

“Look, all I’m saying is, we know where to go, so let’s go.”

“Sweetie, it’s not that simple, it takes time,” a slightly deeper voice interjected.

“Huh, time waits for nopony, especially us.” Sweetie’s voice rose and fell, wavering on the point of bursting.

Before she could, however, Scootaloo cut in. “Sweetie, we are going, that’s why we’re out here, in the middle of the frozen plains, remember?”

“Well, I guess...”

“Good, now, where’s the rest of those apples? I’m starving.”

****

Pip dropped himself down next to Dinky a few minutes later, looking absolutely exhausted. Mid-way through setting up the tent, a large gust of snow and wind had lifted the tent up and sent it spiralling away from him. He’d then spent the next two minutes chasing after it, until finally he managed to catch it. After that it had been simple to set up, but all the running through the deep snow had tired him out.

“Aw...” said Dinky, tousling Pip’s hair slightly. “Is little Pippy-wippy tired~?

Pip scowled. “No!” he said, before turning around. Applebloom and Twist suppressed giggles as they whispered to each other behind their hooves. “Well,” he began, hopping onto the defensive. “I’ve been doing most of the work, so maybe I have a reason for being tired.”

Applebloom stopped giggling and looked down at her hooves. “Sorry pip.”

“Yeah thorry Pip,” Twist added, also looking downwards in shame.

Dinky, attempting to break the tension that had been created from the moment, stood up. “Now, how about we all head over to that nice warm tent and grab ourselves a bite to eat?” This caused a cheer from the other ponies, and they took off, leaving only Pip and Dinky in the snow.

Dinky sat down, pulling her long scarf over Pip. “A bit for your thoughts?”

“I just don’t know what we’re doing. We get contacted by the princess after years of being alone, and we’re just expected to drop everything, all of the peace and order that took so long to establish, and just run off?” Pip sighed, turning away from Dinky. “I’m just not sure if this was the best decision.”

Dinky pulled Pip’s face around until their eyes were locked. “Pip, you weren’t the only one to make that decision, the others, they all had a choice, and they chose to follow you. We all chose, and we chose to come.”

Pip Smiled back, his eyes dancing slightly. “Dinky, I.” he trailed off. “I just... You’ve been my best friend for years now, and I just.” Pip’s hooves rustled underneath him. He heaved in a large gasp of air, and closed his eyes. “Dinky, I think I lo-”

An explosion rocked the world around Pip and Dinky, cutting Pip’s words short. Ice and snow rained from above as darkness lingered around the point of impact. A small carter stood just metres from where the two lay, small tufts of burnt grass poking up from beneath.

A shout came from towards the tent, and they both whirled to see what it was. Applebloom floated above the camp, struggling against the tight bonds of darkness that bound her. Below, Twist kicked and bit at a dark tendril that filtered through the air, snapping back at her. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle stood off to the left, both looking ready to pounce, and yet not sure if they should.

“Dinky, we’ve got to-” Pip turned to his friend, who was already on her hooves.

“- Help them, yes, I know.” Dinky reached down and pulled Pip up, before running towards the others. Pip trailed behind her, reaching around in an attempt to grab his sword from its scabbard. Cursing himself for being born an earth pony, he drew out his blade, and leapt towards the fray.

He swung and slashed at the darkness, causing the creature to release howls of pain and anguish. Dinky stood stock still, her eyes clamped shut and her horn blazing. Purple energy whizzed and spun about, attacking the creature from every vantage point.

The creature roared again, leaping back into the air. It whipped one of its tendrils forward and released three beams of dark energy that shot towards Dinky. She noticed at the last second, dropping her magic and leaping out of the way. The darkness collided with the ground, sending out trails of smoke. Pip sprung at the creature, his sword held high. As he neared the top of his arc, he pointed his head downwards, bringing his sword into parallel with the ground. He fell downwards, tumbling straight for the monster.

A large ripping sound filled the air as the sword made contact, causing the other ponies to cover their ears. The creature let out a howl as it tumbled downwards, its screech echoing around the battle scene. Pip landed, strips of darkness swirling in the air around him. A soft thud indicated that Applebloom had also landed, and was busy picking herself up.

“Wha- What was that thing?” Pip asked, breathless.

“Not a clue,” Dinky replied, picking up some of the debris that had been tossed about when the creature attacked. “But it can’t be alone, there’s most likely going to be more. We’ve got to get out of here, we can’t stay.” Dinky turned to the tent, and started to pull it down.

“So what, we’re just going to take off back out into this blizzard?” Scootaloo asked, stepping forward with Sweetie Belle. “That’s suicide.”

Dinky stopped what she was doing and turned to face Scootaloo, her eyes burning brightly. “I still haven’t forgiven you for what you did, so don’t think you can just waltz in and fix everything.” Dinky lifted a hoof and pointed it at Scootaloo. “And anyway,” she began, her breathing heavy. “Do you have a better idea?”

Scootaloo backed away slowly, her expression one of shock.

“I agree with Dinky.” Pip’s voice shot out like an arrow from a bow, breaking the tension. “We should get moving. I know we’re all tired, but the blizzard is dying down, and we need to get to some form of shelter.” Pip turned to face the raging white, and pointed a hoof out. “I saw a stone ridge, just a little while that way. We should head there and see if we can find a cave to spend the night in.”

Dinky nodded her head in satisfaction, turning back to the tent. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo walked over to the pile of bags and started to pick them up, their tired frames barely able to lift the heavy satchels.

The wind continued to howl and whip at the group as they started out into the white storm. Pip strode forward, straining his head against the wind. The others all moved in a huddled group, attempting to stay warm in the sub zero temperatures. The large rock formation mentioned earlier had disappeared in the white haze as soon as they had started out, but the hard brown rocks had begun to shove through the blanket of snow, slowing the group’s progress somewhat.

“We’re close!” Pip roared into the wind, glancing back over his shoulder at the others. Dinky smiled at him as she pulled herself up onto the rock under his hooves.

“Finally,” said an exasperated Scootaloo, her shoulders sagging. “I don’t know how much further I could carry this damned tent, I swear I’ve broken a wing from it!” Dinky threw her a look of loathing, which was met with an equally loathing look.

Sweetie placed a hoof on Scootaloo’s shoulder, turning her head slightly to face her. “Just let it go,” she said, turning to Dinky. “You too.”

Dinky grunted in response, before swinging back around to Pip. “Well then, show us to this cave, then.”

“Gladly, milady,” Pip replied, lowering his head into a sarcastic bow. He straightened up, before gesturing towards the rocks. “Right this way.” Dinky rolled her eyes as the others giggled softly, the light humour breaking apart the icy tension that hung in the air.

The snow continued to swirl around them, but thinned out as they reached the edge of the rocks. A dark opening split before them, causing Pip and Dinky to sigh with relief. The rest of the group shivered, the packs on their backs shaking in the extreme weather.

“C’mon, inside. Quickly!” Pip said as he twirled around to face his friends. They nodded in reply, before pushing past him and into the waiting warmth. Dinky’s horn lit up as she forced light out into the darkness filling the cave. Scootaloo and the others dropped their packs on the ground, shivering from the cold.

“I-i-is t-there anyt-thing we-we c-could use t-to keep w-warm?” Sweetie Belle stuttered through chattering teeth.

Pip nodded, before turning to one of the larger packs and tearing open the frozen zip. After a few moments of rummaging he emerged, a large blanket clutched in his jaws.

“Here yowth go,” he said, his voice muffled by the blanket. He stepped back and flicked the blanket upwards, sending it stretching outwards. The large cloth floated downwards, wrapping up the other ponies in a tight embrace. Pip smiled as they all let out sighs and pulled the blanket in closer, before spinning around to see a smiling Dinky.

Pip blushed, before walking over to where she sat.

****

Snow still swirled and piled near the entrance to the cave, but it was no longer a raging storm outside. Pip awoke to find himself underneath a blanket as well. When he glanced to his left to find Dinky, all he could see was a pony-shaped hole where she had been sleeping in the blanket. The others were still all fast asleep underneath the larger blanket, their quiet snores filling the cave with warmth.

“Dinky?” Pip called out, his voice low and soft. When no answer returned, he pulled himself from the warm blanket and stood to his hooves, glancing around the cave. A small crevice swung around a corner to his left, leading off into the darkness. But, a small yellow glow shone out in the black, pulling Pip towards it, as if it were magnetic somehow.

He called out his friend’s name again, still walking towards the light. The light then seemed to flicker slightly, before dampening.

“D-Dinky?” He called out, his tone rising slightly.

“What?” whispered something into his ear. Pip shot upwards, a silent scream etched on his face. Dinky stood, smirking, as Pip disentangled himself from the roof.

“Dinky!” he scolded, rubbing his head where it had collided with the roof.

She continued to smirk, before turning towards the direction of the light. “You saw it too, huh?”

“Saw wha- Oh, yeah.” Pip replied, squinting in the darkness.

“Well, c’mon then,” Dinky said, striding forward.

“What? Shouldn’t we wait for the others?” Pip asked, glancing around nervously.

“What others?” asked Sweetie Belle. For the second time in as many minutes, Pip had to remove himself from the ceiling.

“Gah!” he moaned, rubbing his head again. “Geeze, why does everyone do that?”

“I don’t know,” began Sweetie Belle, giggling softly. “Because it’s funny?”

Pip shot her a glance, before turning back to Dinky. She smirked back at him, and he sighed in exasperation.

“Well,” said Dinky, turning back around. “Let’s go.” She marched off, followed by the others. Pip groaned again, before taking off as he attempted to catch the others.

After a few minutes of walking, the cave lit up again, as the light opened up once more.

“What is it?” asked Scootaloo.

“Not sure,” Dinky replied, also staring at the light. “But we’re about to find out.”

As the group approached the light source, it seemed to glow less and less, until, as they reached it, it was almost invisible.

Dinky snorted in frustration, bringing a hoof down against the wall. “Where is it?” she demanded, twirling in every direction in search of the light. As she pulled her hoof away to run up to another spot that looked promising, she noticed a speck of light against her hoof. She lifted it, revealing a pinprick of sun. She smiled, before striking the wall again. The gap grew wider with each hit, until it had amassed to the size of a pony. Light now filtered in from the outside, both warming and blinding the occupants of the cave.

Pip raised a hoof up to shield his eyes, blinking rapidly in protest of the light. Dinky crawled through, before gasping. Pip followed, and then the others all trickled out. The bright light gave way to the edge of a forest, and that, in turn, gave way to the tops of buildings in the distance.

“W-where are we?” Twist asked.

“Is that… Hoofington?”

****

A/N: Hey there, well it's been a while since I've updated this, and with good reason. I lost the chapter. Yeah yeah, excuses excuses. Anyway, it's here now, and should be okay in quality.

A quick update on how the chapters will be added from now on: I'm going to be updating my oldest story, Silence, periodically, before updating anything else. This story in particular is going to be rather long, so it may be the last to get updated, but I'm certainly going to try!

Edit: Apparently I left this chapter on unpublished, so that's why it was invisible. Sorry Feurisson!

Bye.

Comments ( 4 )

1330470
Sorry about that, the chapter was on unpublished for some reason.

If you see any problems, please tell me!

Yeah, you have no idea how much I love this story

Continue the good work

A great chapter but I must point out a minor mistake; when Pip gives out the blankets, you say "they all let out sighs and pulled the blanket in loser." Shouldn't that be "closer?"

1336042
N-no way, they must be losers or something.

I would never spell something wrong!


Thanks for pointing that out

Login or register to comment