• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 2,144 Views, 9 Comments

The Watch - Light Angle



Twilight learns a dark truth about her very existence

  • ...
3
 9
 2,144

8) You Have no Chance.

Chapter 8: You Have no Chance

Twilight ran at full speed towards the source of the magic.

‘It’s foolish to think you can ‘improvise’ your way out of anything. You will open that watch and free me eventually.’ Rani stated to Twilight after a long silence.

Twilight ignored Rani’s renewed taunts before skidding to a stop in front of a floating carriage. A light blue unicorn in a cape and hat strode out. As Twilight had feared the Alicorn Amulet was around her neck. She smiled smugly at Twilight.

“Twilight Sparkle.” she stated. “You finally show your face before the mighty Trixie. What took you so long? Checking up on those weaklings I suppose?”

‘Interesting’ Rani thought to Twilight ‘It seems I can hear what is said in your surroundings.’

Twilight panicked inwardly for a millisecond before turning to Trixie.

“So, you’re the mighty Trixie now. Just being great wasn’t enough?” Twilight prodded.

“You happened!” Trixie shouted. The accompanying explosion of red tinted magic blasted her carriage to pieces.

“And now you’ve ruined Trixie’s home as well”

‘Your allies did not exaggerate this woman’s madness.’ Rani snarked.

Twilight rubbed a hoof against the back of her neck.

‘Actually, speaking in the third person was a quirk she had before.’

‘You cannot be serious.’ Rani deadpanned.

‘There’s something more disturbing I did just notice though...’ Twilight started.

‘The fact she just blamed you for an act she clearly performed?’ Rani cut in.

‘That is a bad sign. But what really concerns me is the dark magic she’s using. It’s emanating from the amulet itself.’ Twilight finished.

‘And I assume that means something important?’ Rani questioned.

‘It means that Trixie is drawing power from the amulet rather than the amulet boosting her natural power.’ Twilight explained.

‘So, if anything unfortunate were to happen…’ Rani started.

“I would never consider that option.” Twilight muttered “But yes, I am relatively sure that if she were to die the amulet would continue to pump power through her corpse.” Twilight shuddered at the thought.
“The Great and Powerful Trixie is now so mighty that Twilight Sparkle has been reduced to a shivering mummering mess.” Trixie said with a crazed grin.

Twilight blinked back to reality. Trixie was staring right in to her eyes. Twilight fell back.

“Why have you come here.” Trixie demanded “If it was to stop Trixie, then just leave.” The last word was punctuated with a red bolt of magic that Twilight was just barely able to dodge.

‘Leave? That’s it that could work.’ Twilight thought.

‘You are realizing that you cannot win, good. Go back to home and open the watch. End this pathetic resistance.’ Rani stated.

‘You’re getting pretty despite by now aren’t you.’ Twilight replied. ‘Anyway, what I actually meant was that her emphasis was on leaving specifically. She wants us to leave, she made my friends leave. She doesn’t seem to have caused any real lasting damage to anypony. She’s just scared people off and caused property damage.’

‘So, she seems to really dislike you specifically. I have to assume she would be willing to go farther with the actual target of her rage. Rani noted.

‘Right, but I’m not her only target.’ Twilight said.

‘Really? Are quite sure about that?’ Rani questioned.

‘One of my friends mentioned that Trixie’s been particularly angry at wheels over the course of this rampage.’ Twilight explained.

‘So, she has destroyed a few archaic traveling implements. That hardly proves anything.’ Rani commented.

‘She didn’t just destroy them. She set them on fire, with magic. It’s been burning behind her the whole time we’ve been here. I think she may have actually gotten every wheel in town.’ Twilight explained.

‘If she has truly destroyed every wheel, how do you plan on using them against her?’ Rani questioned.

‘I don’t plan on using them directly.’ Twilight said with an internal smile.

Twilight took a deep breath and shifted her focus back to Trixie.

“My friends said you wanted my attention. Well, I’m here.” Twilight stated.

“Trixie has noticed that you didn’t bring any of those weaklings with you.” Trixie smirked.

“They’re still resting from everything you already put them through.” Twilight shot back.

“Trixie doesn’t care. All Trixie wants is to defeat Twilight Sparkle!” Trixie exclaimed.

‘Is that really only slightly unusual behavior for her?’ Rani asked.

Twilight focused, putting all her energy into tunning Trixie and Rani out. She took a deep breath and began to talk.

“What happened last time wasn’t my fault. My friends just got a little riled up by your show. Then your assistants took things to far and grabbed that monster.”

“And then you had to cut in and fix everything. Trixie could have taken that beast.” Trixie exclaimed.

“You didn’t really mind the help at the time. What happened between then and now?” Twilight asked.

“What happened in Trixie’s past is none of your concern.” Trixie muttered.

Twilight smiled. “There is something more going on with you. It’s not just your anger at me. All I have to do is figure out what else is bothering you.”

“You think you can figure Trixie out, figure this out.”

Trixie’s horn lit up dark red. She blasted a ray at Twilight who just barely teleported out of the way.

Twilight landed a foot away panting.

“That was just a taste of what Trixie can do now Twilight Sparkle. You have no chance.” Trixie gloated walking toward Twilight horn ablaze.

‘This seems to be a brilliant plan after all.’ Rani said mockingly. ‘You are making her angrier and barely dodging her attacks.’

‘I know.’ Twilight thought, teleporting away from another blast. ‘But the fact I did is a good sign. Her aim is getting worse the more she misses.’

Trixie shot another blast. Twilight dodged it immediately.

‘That is actually an adequate plan.’ Rani admitted. ‘But, only for the short term. How do you plan on removing the amulet?

‘Not sure yet…’ Twilight started before teleporting again.

She seems to be firing with less frequency now.’ Rani noted.

‘True, but she’s putting more power into each blast. Eventually she will hit us through brute force.’ Twilight explained.

Twilight teleported again. This time landing next to the burning pile of wheels.

‘On top of everything else the wheels are still on fire.’ Twilight muttered.

‘How is that fire still burning?’ Rani questioned.

“The… the wheels!” Twilight exclaimed.

‘Wheels simply do that here? Your world has many things that interest me, but that far too strange to comprehend.’ Rani stated.

‘No. The fire’s doing that because of the magic. What I just realized is...’ Twilight started.

“You dare mention those abominations after everything else you’ve done.” Trixie bellowed.

‘You do not have to explain any further. I understand what you are thinking.’ Rani noted.

Twilight teleported closer in towards Trixie. Trixie shot off another blast. Twilight moved again while continuing to face Trixie.

‘I just need to work out why wheels would be such an issue for her.’ Twilight thought.

‘Are really going to try to work that out now? You implied earlier that she was not entirely stable from the beginning.’ Rani said.

‘The beginning…’Twilight pondered.

‘If you are simply going to repeat what I say, then you are not doing any better than her.’ Rani stated.

‘Her meeting me was a beginning, but not her overall beginning. She had a past before that. At least I assume she did. I may have an idea about what to do next.’ Twilight explained.

‘You may have an idea. Well that just fills me with confidence.’ Rani snarked.

“Trixie!” Twilight cried out, dodging another blast.

“What?” Trixie demanded shooting again. Twilight dodged easily. This time the blast hit the pile of wheels leaving nothing but ash.

‘Well at least the fire’s out now.’ Twilight thought.

‘Good that solves the most pressing of our issues than.’ Rani responded slyly.

‘Right. So now it’s time fix the easy problem.’ Twilight joked back.

“I think I get your issue with wheels.” Twilight started only for Trixie to snort angrily and send off another blast. “[Their] main function is movement. Someone you cared for moved away and never came back, didn’t they?”

“Shut up!” Trixie shouted.

As Twilight expected Trixie followed the shout up with an attack. This time, however, Twilight stood her ground and cast her own spell. As spells collided both combatants were overtaken by a bright white light.

Author's Note:

This took awhile, didn't it. :pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment