• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 13,533 Views, 1,564 Comments

Tanks for the Memories - BillyMays



The crew of the Retribution II is accidently sent into another dimension, with Ponies?!

  • ...
85
 1,564
 13,533

Contact!

“Contact!”

Another shot echoed through the forest, followed shortly by a pained yelp.

“It’s those wolves, Sergeant.” Alex said as he flicked the safety on his M4 off.

“Weapons free!”

The sound of M4s and various side arms firing filled the forest. Alex and the sergeant rushed up to help the crewman; their weapons at the ready. A wolf pounced at Sgt. Adam; caught by surprise he barely managed to keep his face. He raised his hands and grabbed the wolfs snout.

’This is no normal wolf!’

Alex snapped off two shots, obliterating the wolfs chest in a spray of splinters and sap.

“Is it just me, or are these things made of wood?!” Sgt. Adam yelled out to no one in particular.

“Behind you, Captain!”

Alex spun around slamming the wolf with the butt of his M4 and knocking it to the ground. Stomping on its head he turned to see a crewman with a wooden wolf latched firmly to his arm. He fired two shots at it. Both missed.

’Fuck. I knew I should've spent more time at the firing range.’

He popped off another burst this time hitting the wolf in the leg, it yelped and let go of the crewman’s arm. Wasting no time the crewman shot the wolf in the head and nodded in thanks to Alex.

“Crewman, mount that .50 cal!” Alex said pointing at the Kangaroos machine gun.

“Aye, sir!”

The Crewman ran over and quickly clambered into the turret. With a satisfied smile he racked the bolt and swung the .50 cal around to face a group of wooden wolves.

“EAT LEAD YOU WOODEN PRICKS!”

The forest lit up as the .50 cal chugged loudly away, ripping wolves, trees, and bushes apart. Alex turned around, making sure no wolves were sneaking up from behind. Making a quick sweep of the area he saw something that enraged him. Two wolves were slowly dragging the dead body of SSgt. van Decc away.

“I don’t fucking think so!”

With his anger now controlling him, Alex ran over, lifted his M4 to his shoulder and fired wildly at the wolves desperately trying to stop them. By some stroke of luck none of his bullets hit the dead Marine, but half of them found their targets; peppering the wolves with a hail of bullets. They yelped and tried to scramble away. Alex had other ideas. He stomped on the closest wolf, preventing it from running away and put a bullet through its wooden head. Moving up to the other whimpering pile of wood he stomped it to oblivion. Alex looked down at his handy work and frowned.

’My boots are going to need a clean after this.’

Alex looked around at the once peaceful clearing which was now littered with dead and injured wolves. Shots still rang out and the .50 cal continued chugging away. He slung his M4 and pulled out his M1911. Slowly walking towards the closest injured wolf he put a bullet in its head. Walking towards another wolf he noticed it was covering something. He slowly approached it unsure of what to expect. The wolf looked up at Alex with an almost pleading look in its eyes. Alex looked back at it with confusion. What could it be hiding? Instead of shooting it Alex slowly pushed the wolf off of what it was hiding. The wolf continued to stare at him with a pleading look.

’Is that what I think it is?’

A wooden pup sat curled up sleeping, he could see it’s chest rise and fall as it slowly breathed. Alex looked at it then at then at the wolf he moved. Realization struck him.

’It’s mother. But why did she bring it here?’

While he was thinking the pup had awoken and was slowly moving towards him. It reached his feet and began nuzzling him. Alex almost shat himself, he looked down at the little pup and couldn’t help smiling. For something he’d never seen before it was quite adorable. He scooped it up in his arms causing it to yelp in surprise. It looked up at him with it’s yellow eyes and snuggled into his chest. Alex looked back at the mother wolf and realized that it had died. With a sad frown he walked towards the up-side down Humvee and placed the pup slowly inside.

“Stay there ok? It’s not safe out here.”

The pup tilted its head and slowly curled up again.

’What am I doing? I shouldn’t be looking after this thing!’

He turned back to the littered clearing. Holstering his M1911 and unslinging his M4. He noticed that the gunfire had just about stopped, crewmen were now mopping up the injured wolves and patching up their wounds.

“Captain, sir!”

Alex saw SSgt. Daseal running up towards him.

“We’ve driven back the wooden wolves. Sir, I don’t recommend we stay here much longer they could come back.”

Alex nodded his head in agreement.

“Agreed, Sergeant. Load up your crew and equipment, we’re moving out.”

“Aye, sir.” SSgt. Daseal rushed off towards his LAV.

“ATTENTION!” Alex bellowed.

All the crewmen stopped what they were doing at looked towards the Captain.

“WE’RE MOVING OUT! PACK UP ALL THE GEAR!”

The clearing then became abustle with crewmen packing up gear and weapons.

“Sgt. Adam! Report to me on the double!” Alex yelled.

Sgt. Adam appeared up from the behind of the LAV and rushed up towards the Captains position.

“Reporting, sir!” He said as he saluted.

“Sergeant, I want you to begin moving my tank off that damn rock.”

“Aye, sir!” He darted off looking for his crew.

Alex turned his attention back to the upside down Humvee. Looking at it thoughtfully he walked slowly towards it. He looked through the window and spotted the pup still happily sleeping. Opening the door as quietly as he could, he carefully scooped up the pup. Looking around he began walking towards his tank.

“What have you got there, Captain?”

Alex turned around to see Sam looking at him a questioning look on his face.

“None of your concern, Corporal.” Alex quickly said trying to hide the pup.

Sam's eyes widened as he saw the pup.

“Is that what I think it is, sir?”

The pup stirred in Alex’s hands and woke with an adorable yawn. It looked at Alex then at Sam. Sam smiled at the yawn.

“Aww. Didn’t know you had a soft side, sir.”

“Shut it, Corporal.” Alex said, unable to hold back a smile.

“Don’t worry, sir. My lips are sealed but I don’t know how you’re going to hide this from everyone.”

“Maybe I won’t have to hide it.” Alex said with a thoughtful tone. “Anyhow, the Retribution II is being moved now.”

“Really, sir?”

The sound of an Abrams engine starting up confirmed it.

“I’ll need to make sure the Sergeant doesn’t fuck up. Carry on Corporal.” Alex said walking towards the Kangaroo.

“Yes, sir.”

Alex walked across the clearing, a few eyes staring at the pup in his hands.

“Careful now Sergeant.” Alex said as he reached the Kangaroo.

Sgt. Adam looked down at Alex from the turret and then at the pup in his hands.

“With all due respect sir, do you think it’s wise having that thing?”

“It’s not harming anyone so you don’t need to worry about it Sergeant.”

Sgt. Adam look at the pup with worry and finally accepted the fact the Captain had it.

“Aye, sir.”

“Good. Now back to the task at hand, Sergeant are you ready?”

“Yes, sir. We’ll begin on your go.”

Alex looked down at the pup which had fallen asleep again. Then at his tank still sitting on the rock.

“You may begin, Sergeant.”

Sgt. Adam looked down into his tank and said a few things to his crew. The Kangaroo suddenly lurched forward making the Sergeant sway backwards.

“Slow her down a bit.”

The tow chain pulled taut, causing the Kangaroo to stop momentarily. With a burst of power she began moving forward slowly pulling the Retribution II.

’Halfway there.’

“Sergeant, put a burst of speed in the last half. I don’t want her going around the rock.”

“Aye, sir.”

The Kangaroo speed up with a roar from her engine. The Retribution II was almost off the rock.

’There we go!’

The Retribution II slammed down onto the ground, her suspension taking the full impact as she bounced up and down. The pup yelping in surprise at the sudden noise buried itself deeper into Alex’s chest. Laughing he patted its head calming it down.

“Excellent work, Sergeant.” Alex said smiling.

“Thank you, sir.” Sgt. Adam said, also smiling at the pup.

The Kangaroo’s engine stopped and the Sergeant hopped out followed shortly by the rest of his crew. They eyed the pup in Alex’s hands but didn’t question it. The Retribution IIs crew had walked up after hearing the sound of it hitting the ground.

“Thank god.” Roger said holding his arms out wide.

Sam and David looked at Roger and facepalmed.

“What?” Roger asked.

“Sergeant, stop. You look like an idiot.” Alex said also facepalming.

“Yes, sir.” He said sheepishly, lowering his arms.

The group headed towards their tank, smiling and chatting.

“You picked a name yet, sir?” Sam asked, pointing towards the pup.

’A name…’

“No I haven’t, Corporal. I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl.”

“Well I have plenty of suggestions if you want to hear them, sir.”

Alex rolled his eyes.

“No thank you, Corporal. Maybe later.”

“Suit yourself, sir.”

David and Roger were looking at the pup with interest as they spoke.

“Captain, sir. Where’d you find it?” David asked with curiosity.

“Near the edge of the clearing, under an injured wolf which turned out to be its mother, I think. Anyhow it came up to me and started nuzzling my feet I considered shooting it for a second but instead I scooped it up and put it in the Humvee over there.”

“Oh you mean Recon 1?” Sam said pointing at the Humvee.

“That’s Recon 1? How’d you kno-?”

“It says on its side, sir.”

Alex looked over and frowned. It did indeed say Recon 1 on the side, how he missed it was beyond him.

“Well anyway… where was I?”

“You had just scooped the pup up, sir.”

“Thank you, Private.” Alex nodded to David. “I scooped it up and put it in Recon 1 so no one would shoot it by accident. I picked it up after the fighting had died down and well here we are now.”

They all nodded and looked at the pup as they reached the Retribution II.

“Alright let’s check if she’s in one piece.” Alex ordered.

“Yes, sir.”

Alex placed the pup on the hull and watched as it peered over the edge; its little eyes widening as it saw how high it was off the ground. Alex chuckled lightly to himself and began inspecting the outside of his tank. Everything seemed to be in order except the E.A.S.T. which wasn’t glowing anymore. Alex looked around to see none of the E.A.S.T devices on any of the vehicles were glowing.

’That can’t be good.’

Alex tried to remember the briefing from Doctor Hanguard.

…”For a full recharge you would need to connect the main power cables to the recharge port, here.” He pointed towards the rear of an Abrams then an LAV and the side of a Humvee…

Alex sighed and took off his helmet.

’Must be out of power.’

He rubbed his forehead and pushed his hair out of his eyes. Putting his helmet back on he continued to check his tank. He finished his check and found that nothing on this side of the tank was damaged.

“Nothing damaged here.”

“Nothing here, sir.” Sam called.

“Nothing over here either, sir.” Roger said.

“One solar panel has broken up here, sir.” David called from atop of the turret.

’Damn. That’s going to be a problem.’

“How many solar panels are left, Private?”

“Three, sir.”

“Thank you, Private.”

Alex climbed up onto the hull and sat down his legs dangling off the side.

“Alright, I think it’s time for breakfast. What five-star meals did we bring along?” Alex asked.

Sam looked into the bustle rack rummaging for food and pulled out a few MREs.

“On today’s fine menu is Maple sausage, Pork rib, Beef brisket and beef roast. “ Sam listed; putting on his best posh accent, which to be honest was horrible.

“I’ll take the Pork rib.” Alex said.

Sam tossed over the brown package.

“I’ll have the Beef.” David said.

“Maple sausage, over here.” Roger called.

Sam tossed down the packages to them.

“Looks like I’m stuck with the Beef roast.” Sam mumbled.

Alex opened his MRE packet and began to slowly munch on his pork. The pup trotted over and hopped into Alex’s lap causing him to smile once again.

’This little guy is pretty cute even if he is made from wood.’

He scratched its head and it looked up at his pork.

“You hungry little guy?” Alex asked the pup.

It continued to stare at his pork.

’I’ll take that as a yes.’

Alex tore a piece of pork off and gave it to the pup. It barked happily as it finished eating it. He smiled, pulled out his canteen and took a sip. His eyes wandered over the clearing. Dead wolves were still scattered everywhere. Resting his eyes on the body of SSgt. van Decc he wondered what to do with the dead Marine. He reached a decision.

“You guys finished your food?” Alex asked.

A chorus of “Yes,sir”s sung out.

“Grab some shovels from bustle rack. We’re burying SSgt. van Decc.”

Author's Note:

Sorry guys I wanted this out earlier but it's been a busy week.
I'd like to thank Warrensable32 once again for becoming my editor!