• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 13,533 Views, 1,564 Comments

Tanks for the Memories - BillyMays



The crew of the Retribution II is accidently sent into another dimension, with Ponies?!

  • ...
85
 1,564
 13,533

Not Alone

“Check that out.”

Alex pointed towards the “gasping” bush and two crewmen saluted and slowly approached the bush with their M4s in the shoulder.

“Everyone else keep your eyes peeled, I don’t need any more wolves pouncing on us today. We move out in five.”

Alex and the group of crewmen gave the grave of SSgt. van Decc one final look over and began to head towards their vehicles.

“Sir! Movement in the bush!” One of the crewmen called.

Alex snapped around just in time to see a yellow and pink blob fly out of the bush and knock over the two crewmen investigating.

“Contact!” He yelled.

Bringing his M4 to his shoulder; Alex realized the yellow and pink blob was heading quickly towards him. He looked down to the pup at his feet.

“Quick get out of here!” Alex yelled at the pup. It yelped and ran off towards the tanks. Turning back he saw that the yellow and pink blob was almost upon him.

’Not enough time!’

Yelling defiantly he squeezed a few shots off at the blob before he heard the dreaded sound of a magazine bottoming out.

*Click*

“FU-“

The blob slammed into him and they tumbled a metre backwards. Alex wrestled with the blob for a minute before he realized what it was. A yellow horse- no pony with a pink mane. It had him pinned to the ground with its front hooves holding down his shoulders. He stopped all attempts at fighting the pony and stared, surprised, into its strangely large teal eyes. It glared back.

“Are you in charge, mister?” The pony said in a quiet but menacing tone.

The entire clearing went deathly silent as the pony spoke, some crewmen even dropped their rifles in surprise, and others simply stood there gaping at the pony. No one fired a shot in fear of hitting the Captain.

“I-I am the ranking officer.” Alex said in bewilderment.

“Then you killed all of these innocent timberwolves.”

Alex was about to argue when the sound of heavy footsteps make him turn his head; Roger was running quickly towards him. He slammed into the yellow pony, knocking it off Alex and throwing them onto the ground next to him in a cloud of dust. Alex coughed as the dust was inhaled into his lungs. He rolled over, stood up and went to pull Roger off the pony. Grabbing the Sergeant by the collar he dragged him off the pinned pony.

“Stand down, Sergeant.”

“Aye, sir.” The Sergeant growled as he dusted himself off.

The rest of the crewmen in the clearing had regained their wits and all had their rifles pointed at the pony on the ground. Alex unholstered his M1911, raised a hand in the air to signal ‘hold your fire’ and crouched down next the yellow pony. It had its head buried underneath its very long pink main and was… crying? Taking another look at the pony Alex noticed it also had wings. One of which was bent at an odd angle, no doubt caused by the Sergeant.

“Everyone else is seeing this?” Alex asked in disbelief and looked around the clearing.

The “gasping” bush rustled again and caught the attention of the two crewmen who were previously investigating it.

“Sir? We’ve got more mov-“ A purple beam struck the crewman in the chest and he crumpled to the ground.

“Contact!” The other crewman yelled.

He raised his M4 at the bush but was also hit by a purple beam. Alex looked up just in time to see the second crewman hit the ground.

“Open fire!”

The clearing was once again filled with gunshots as the bush was riddled with bullets. Alex loaded another magazine into his M4 and fired at the bush. A few more purple beams shot out of the bush and flew over him. Empting his magazine into the bush he noticed that the yellow pony was slowly moving towards him and was trying to say something. Cautiously moving his head closer towards the pony he heard it say something.

“Twilight i-is in the bush.”

“Who’s Twilight?” He asked.

“My friend.”

“Well whatever was in that bush is probably dead now.”

The pony whimpered and moved away.

Alex emptied the rest of his magazine and stood up.

“CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE!” He yelled.

Crewmen stopped firing and loaded fresh magazines. Unknown to Alex standing up had made him a target and another purple beam flew towards him. Time seemed to slow down as he watched the beam fly towards his chest. He twisted out of the way and the beam narrowly missed his side. He looked at his side to see the beam had left a burnt mark on his vest. Looking up he looked to what was left of the bush to see a lavender pony staring at him wide eyed. It didn’t even have a scratch.

'How is that purple pony not dead? What was it shooting? HOW was it shooting?'

Slinging his M4 he quickly pulled out his M1911 and fired his entire magazine into where the pony stood, none of the shots found their target. The pony had put up some sort of barrier; the domed purple water like liquid surrounding the pony seemed to absorb the shots. Alex ejected the magazine and it hit the ground with a clatter. The pony watched the magazine hit the ground with unusual interest from behind its barrier. He opened a pouch on his vest, pulled out another magazine and inserted it into his M1911. The slide gave a satisfying click as it locked into place. Alex made a motion with his hand and the crewmen still sanding formed a line on either side of him.

“Open fire!”

Alex and the crewmen fired at the purple barrier. The purple pony’s face scrunched up in concentration as the wall of crewmen fired. Ejecting and loading another clip into his M1911 with lighting speed Alex noticed that the purple barrier was failing.

“Keep it up!” Alex yelled. He looked to his side to see a crewman with an under-barrel M203 Grenade launcher. The crewmen looked at the Captain and the Captain nodded.

“Fire in the hole!”

*WHUMP*

The grenade launcher fired its explosive ordnance at the purple barrier. It detonated against the barrier with an ear splitting explosion and the barrier flickered. The barrier flickered once again and Alex fired the last bullet in his M1911. The bullet whizzed through the barriers opening and hit the purple pony in the leg. It cried out in pain and the barrier dropped permanently.

“Hold your fire! We’ve got it this time.”

Alex quickly rushed up to the injured pony and pointed his M1911 at its head. The rest of the crewmen quickly surrounded the pony.

“You are being detained for firing unprovoked at United States Marines.” Alex said as he moved the M1911 closer to the pony’s head.

“I don’t think so…” The pony said.

“What?”

The pony smiled and the clearing with filled with a flash of light. Alex squeezed the trigger as the light filled his vision.

*Click*

The light blinded and disoriented all of the crewmen. Alex stumbled backwards and almost tripped over.

“What the fuck did that pony do?”

Alex looked at his pistol and noticed that the slide was back. He looked to where the pony lay, it was gone. Inserting another magazine he holstered his pistol and looked wildly around.

“Fuck! Where did it go?”

“I don’t know, sir.”

“It can’t have gone far with a bullet in its leg, fan out.” Alex ordered.

“Aye, sir.”

“Actually, belay that order. We’re getting the hell out of here. Everyone back to the tanks.”

“Yes, sir.”

The group of crewmen made their way back to the small convoy of vehicles, stopping on the way to help downed crewmen. Alex gave one final disapproving look at what was left of the bush and turned back to the tanks.

“Captain, all the men seem to be… in a deep sleep.” An Australian Corporal called out.

“Sleeping? Are you sure, Corporal?”

“Positive, sir.”

“Wake them if you can; we need to get out of this forest.”

“Yes, sir.”

Alex’s eyes wandered over the clearing once again and rested on the injured yellow pony. He motioned for Roger to follow him.

“Sergeant, if this pony makes one wrong move I want you to put a bullet in its head.”

“Yes, sir.”

The two Marines approached the yellow pony only Roger had his weapon raised and ready to use. The pony noticed this and cowered underneath its unusually long pink mane. Alex crouched down next to it.

“Who are you?” Alex asked.

“M-my name is Fluttershy.” The pony whimpered.

“Well Fluttershy, why did you attack US Marines?”

“I-i didn't mean to hurt anypony. I-I just got angry when I saw all the…” Fluttershy trailed off and began to cry again.

Alex sighed and looked to Roger for help; he shrugged.

“Look, ma’am? Is it ma’am?” Alex guessed. “I’m sorry about those wolves, but you can’t do anything for them now. Right now I-we need to get out of this godforsaken forest.”

Fluttershy nodded and looked around with watery eyes.

“Wh-Where’s Twilight?”

“Your friend decided to run away rather than face justice.”

Roger looked at Alex with a small grin.

“Cheesy, sir.”

“Thank you, Sergeant.” Alex said slight grin. “Ma’am, how is your wing?”

“I-it still hurts.” Fluttershy mumbled.

Roger shifted his feet and grinned sheepishly.

“None of my men know how to fix a broken wing, ma’am. Can you fix it?” Alex asked.

“Not without help, you should probably take me to the hospital.”

“Hospital.” Alex echoed. “You have a hospital?”

“Back in Ponyville there’s one.” Fluttershy confirmed.

'Ponyville? Isn’t that original.'

Alex looked towards Roger again both of their faces were painted with puzzlement and surprise. Roger shrugged again and removed his helmet to scratch his head.

“So there’s a town called Ponyville with more walking, talking ponies?” Alex asked in disbelief.

Fluttershy nodded.

“That’s the biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard.” Alex said as he burst into laughter. “No pun intended.”

Fluttershy’s ears splayed back and she moved her head back a little.

“B-but it’s true…”

“Ma’am, please. Ponies don’t live in towns. And if you expect me to believe that there’s a town full of them...” Alex said.

“Sir?” Roger said.

“Go ahead, Sergeant.”

“We’re wasting time here.”

“You can head back to the Retribution, Sergeant. I’ll be with you shortly.”

“Yes, sir.” Roger saluted and walked off.

“Now Fluttershy, are you going to be alright all by yourself?” Alex asked.

“You-You’re leaving?” Fluttershy stammered.

“Yes, we’re getting out of this forest.”

“C-can I come with you?”

“We’re not walking, ma’am.” Alex said as he stood up. “We’re taking the tanks.”

“Oh. I-is that what those big wheeled box things are?” Fluttershy asked with a hint of fear.

“Yes. And I’m sorry, ma’am but civilians are not allowed to ride on tanks.”

Fluttershy whimpered and looked at Alex with large teal puppy dog eyes.

“Ma’am, please. You’re not allowed to…”

Fluttershy’s puppy dog eyes seemed to get impossibly larger.

'Damn this pony and it’s adorableness.'

“Fine. Don’t do anything stupid.”

Fluttershy squeed and gingerly trotted up next to Alex. The unlikely duo began the walk to the small convoy. A small whimper caught Alex’s attention as they walked along and he noticed Fluttershy had a limp in her left foreleg.

“Ma’am, is your leg ok?”

“It’s fin-“

Her left foreleg gave way before she could finish and she fell flat on her face. Alex sighed and carefully scooped up the yellow pony. Fluttershy squeaked in surprise.

“This is the only time I'm going to pick you up, understand?” Alex grunted.

Fluttershy nodded and fidgeted in Alex’s grip. They continued their way to the small convoy. The Retribution II started up with a whine and a loud roar, making Fluttershy bury her head in Alex’s arm. He sighed and slowly walked towards his tank clutching Fluttershy. The Kangaroo and Old Tom also started their engines in loud roars. Fluttershy buried her head deeper into Alex’s arm causing him to sigh again.

“Ma’am, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s just the tanks starting up.” Alex said trying to comfort the shaking pony.

“Why are they so loud?” Fluttershy asked, her voice muffled by Alex’s sleeve.

‘That’s just when they start up ma’am. They’re a lot quieter on the move.”

Fluttershy reluctantly removed her head from Alex’s arm. They arrived and many surprised faces greeted them. Reaching the Retribution II he found that the pup was already sitting on the hull, waiting for his arrival. Smiling he carefully placed Fluttershy down on the hull next the pup and scratched its head.

“Are you going to look after her?” Fluttershy asked

“It’s a her?” Alex exclaimed.

The drivers hatch swung open and Sam poked his head out.

“Come on, Captain. We haven’t got all day.” He said and quickly closed the hatch once again.

Alex rolled his eyes, climbed up onto the hull of the tank and picked up the pup. Lifting it up; he dropped it on the turret next to the cupola. He did the same with Fluttershy. Finally climbing atop the turret himself, Alex opened the cupola and lowered himself inside and dragged the pup in with him. The loaders hatch opened much to the surprise of Fluttershy and she peered in, only to be hit in the nose as David emerged.

“Oh sorry ma’am...” David said as he turned to the yellow pony.

“That’s ok…” Fluttershy mumbled as she rubbed her nose.

“Alright,” Alex said as he joined in with the conversation. “Fluttershy will you be ok up here on the turret?”

“I-I think so.” Fluttershy said still rubbing her nose.

“Private,” Alex said turning to David. “This is Fluttershy she'll be leading us out of this bloody forest. I want you to keep an eye on her.”

“Yes, sir.” David nodded to the pony.

Alex turned back to Fluttershy. “If you’d kindly, ma’am.”

Fluttershy pointed towards what was left of the bush she emerged from.

“Oh um... G-go that way and then you should come across a path. Take a right and follow it. It leads straight to Ponyville.”

“Uh, ma’am. Would you happen to know where the cloest-“

A distant boom echoed from deep within the forest.

David emerged from the loaders hatch. His and many other heads turned in the direction of the sound.

“That sounded like…” David began.

“…a tank firing its main gun.” Alex finished.

Author's Note:

This is completely unedited so I'm sorry if the quality has dropped or if anything is slightly OOC/unrealistic. Criticism is most welcome.