• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,341 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,341

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Train Talk

Scar watched from beneath a tree while the Shoretrot ponies tended to the dig ponies he and the others had freed from the dogs. Many of them were sick, undernourished and in need of medical attention. Just like himself. The cuts on his arms weren't much of an issue to him, but his shoulder was starting to give him trouble. Still, he kept his distance. The ponies were still scared of him and flinched whenever they saw him approach.

He didn't blame them. After all, they had seen what had remained of the dogs unlucky enough to block his path in the tunnels. He would give them space. A pony detached itself from the crowd, it was Purple Haze. She looked around herself for a second before spotting him. She made a beckoning motion to a pony behind herself and started walking towards him. A second pony detached itself from the crowd and started following her.

The gnoll watched the other pony as it approached, it was a yellow unicorn with a red cross on its flank. When she saw him looking at her she slowed down quite a bit. "Are you sure this is safe? It looks so dangerous!"

Purple Haze went back and pulled her along, "Relax, everything is okay. He's really nice once you look past all those teeth. Trust me, nothing bad will happen." the other pony didn't appear to be very convinced by this. She was trembling as she stepped under his tree, looking at the ground as if he'd eat her if she looked him in the eyes. She stopped in front of him, still looking down.

"Scar, this is nurse Tenderheart. She's going to take care of your wounds. Treat her nice." As if he had ever not been nice to a pony... he figured Purple Haze wanted to comfort the nurse pony. "Nurse Tenderheart, this is Scar. Without him we wouldn't have been able to free the ponies from the diamond dogs."

The little pony slowly started to lift her head until she could look into his eyes, she gulped. "HHhhello,... Scar."

The gnoll nodded, "Hello, nurse pony." She shuddered when she saw his teeth. Scar bent down a bit to make himself smaller, "Nurse pony has no reason to fear gnoll. It almost never eats ponies." she looked like she was about to faint. Purple Haze shot him a glare, "Was joke..."

---

He felt the air brush the fur of his head, the night scenery passing quickly as the train continued its way down the tracks. They had taken a cargo train back to Ponyville, mostly because Purple Haze had insisted they wouldn't take a passenger train again. Ever. It made no difference to him. Purple Haze on the other hand didn't exactly look happy, she was constantly trying to find a comfortable position in between the crates. Not a simple task in a shaking train.

He carefully stepped over to her, the bandages on his arms and around his shoulder slightly hindered his movements. "Hey, you alright?" she asked as he sat down besides her.

"Gnoll is well." he said he shifted his position, careful to avoid leaning on his hurt shoulder.

"You should have just let her use her magic to heal you."

"Scar does not like magic..."

"I know, I know..." she was quiet for a moment, "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask."

"It's about the time you were captured and interrogated by a unicorn..." He shifted uncomfortably, he didn't like to remember those times. "I mean... if you would meet those ponies again..." she looked at him, "What would you do?"

"Nothing." he said as he stared into the darkness.

She was surprised at this, "Nothing? Even after all what they put you through?"

"Scar holds no grudge against ponies. Ponies were scared,... Gnoll does not blame them." he turned to her, "Scar never told Purple Haze how it escaped..." he closed his eyes and tried to remember those nights, he had locked them away for such a long time. "When magic pony comes to Scar it searched its mind for many nights. Pony thinks Scar was hiding truth from it, that Scar did kill little pony."

He gave a sigh, "After many nights with endless pain pony started to see Scar did not... was strange, was first time Scar sees pony cry... and then, pony opens cage."

"She set you free?"

Scar nodded, "Told Scar to run, took it out of pony town, offered to run with it, to help it..." he shook his head, "But Scar could not, not after all what happens, not after all that pain. Scar was too scared of magic pony, was too early. It simply couldn't trust ponies. So Scar runs on its own, and ponies gave chase again..."

He gave a sigh, "Scar hopes magic pony is well... but if Scar should meet ponies again... Scar does not know how it would feel. Is difficult for Scar to think about." he chuckled, "Was strange pony though... talked funny." They both sat quietly for a long time after that. Purple Haze lost in her own thoughts and the gnoll in its memories as it watched the scenery rush by.

---

"Purple Haze cold?" he asked worriedly as she tried to stop herself from shivering. The night air was cool and there was a constant breeze going through the cart. He was born in the mountains, it was always cold there so he didn't mind but the pony was definitely having troubles coping with it.

"Just a cool breeze, no need to worry. I can take it." she said with chattering teeth, "I should have taken a blanket..." Scar gave a sigh. He reached over to her and picked her up in one of his paws, "What are you doing?" he set her down in his lap and put his arms around her.

"Keeping Purple Haze warm..." he said quietly as he held her.

She started to protest, "I'm not a foal you know. I can take care of myself perfectly fine."

He gave a grunt, "Purple Haze is too stubborn. Is not good if Purple Haze gets sick. Should sleep, gnoll will keep pony safe and warm."

She was about to start protesting again, but... he really was warm, and his fur was surprisingly soft... "Alright, but only till I'm warm again." She was asleep in under a minute. Scar watched her as she slept in his arms, every now and then she would give off a soft snore. He shook his head in amusement.

He did not sleep that night, his thoughts always returning to that night the magic pony had helped him escape. He wondered what had become of her. He gave a silent chuckle as he remembered the ridiculous hat she had always worn.

PreviousChapters Next