• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,339 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,339

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 61: High Stakes

The blast knocked the gnoll off his feet and his hammer was ripped out of his grasp as black crystal shards ripped over the side of his face like shrapnel and shattered his eye. As he got up again red was already starting to fill his vision as he spotted the black crystal form of Sombra.

Just like the gnoll he had been thrown to the ground by the explosion the hammer's impact on his horn had caused. Slowly the black form started to rise, magic crackling uncontrolled in the air as the dark king tried to summon up his destructive magic. Scar watched with a mix of fascination and horror as the black creatures head turned towards him.

Half of Sombras head was missing. Huge cracks lined the rest of his form, crawling outwards from the destroyed crystal like a spiders web. How he was even still alive was beyond the gnolls understanding. Sombra swayed unsteadily on his hoofs, lightning dancing over his form as he tried to form another spell. "BEAST!" the dark unicorn thundered at the gnoll, "You will pay dearly for this!"

Scar looked for his hammer, but it was nowhere to be seen. It had probably fallen off the tower. The gnoll gave a silent curse as he faced the black form, and froze as he saw Sombras wounds start to heal. Slowly, but steadily the cracks were starting to close again and new crystals started to form in the open cleft of his head. Scar realized he had to hurry, if Sombras horn would reform again he wouldn't stand a chance against him.

The gnoll tensed his muscles, crouched and charged forwards with a savage roar.

---

Twilight watched in horror as the gnoll charged towards Sombra. Fire and lightning exploded in the air around Sombra as Scar's form crashed into him, sending both of them flying through the remains of a wall. As the dust cleared Twilight could see the gnoll grab Sombra's leg and slam him into the ground repeatedly before a blast of energy from Sombra's body flung him off his feet.

The gnoll stood up, black smoke rising from his chest as he gave another snarl and charged again, and again, and again as Twilight watched helplessly.

The fight went on for what seemed like an eternity. The gnoll's blows and teeth ripping shards of crystal off Sombra's form and driving deep cracks into his body while he himself was barraged with more uncontrolled magic. Every shard the gnoll tore off Sombra was laced with his own blood.

Twilight slowly crawled over to Spike's unconscious body and started to shake him awake with what strength she had left. She needed to do something. If she could just write one letter... just one word...

---

Scar breathed heavily as he slowly circled Sombra, his own body covered in cuts and burns as the two of them eyed one another in silent rage. Countless holes and cracks covered Sombras crystal form, but still he refused to drop. Even now the cracks were slowly starting to close themselves again, even though it was much slower now than before. It seemed that the fight with the gnoll had taken a great toll on Sombra.

But the fight had also left its marks on Scar. The blood loss was starting to affect his already reduced vision and every movement was becoming a hard task. The gnoll knew that he wouldn't be able to fight on like this much longer. But as long as his adversary stood he refused to go down. If only he had his hammer... he needed to find a way to shatter this thing. His fists didn't do enough damage, and with the chaotic magic blasting around Sombra the gnoll wasn't able to get close enough to his throat to place a good bite.

At that point Scar suddenly realized how close the two of them had gotten to the tower's edge. He looked over to Purple Haze. She was unconscious, a long cut bleeding from her head. She needed help as quickly as possible. He looked back at Sombra. He was supposed to watch over the ponies, he would not allow them to be hurt any more. He made a decision.

---

"Spike! Spike! You need to wake up!" Twilight frantically shook Spike from side to side, tears in her eyes.

The little dragon slowly started to stir and opened his eyes, "Twilight? Whats going on? Where... where is Sombra?" Spike looked to his side to see Cadance and Shining Armor lying next to him. "Oh no..."

"Spike I need you to send this immediately!" Twilight held up a little piece of torn paper, a single word written across it hastily; 'Help'.

Spike looked at the message for a moment before realizing the graveness of the situation. He drew in a shaky breath and produced a little green flame that quickly enveloped the shred of paper before it disappeared. In the distance, he could see a battered Scar facing off a visibly cracked and chipped Sombra.

"Spike!" his attention snapped back to Twilight, "Stay here and watch over Cadance and Shining Armor, I have to help..."

The gnoll suddenly gave off another savage roar as he charged towards Sombra at full speed. Twilight's eyes followed his path as he rushed towards Sombra in a straight line. She saw the edge of the tower... she understood.

"NO!" she shouted out in desperation as the gnoll collided with Sombra at full speed. The impact lifted Sombra off the ground as the gnoll held onto him through his magic blasts. Too late he realized the gnoll's intent.

Sombra gave one final, terrible scream of rage as they both went over the edge.

---

Time seemed to slow down as Scar watched Sombra fall towards the ground beneath him, his black form screaming and shouting in anger and frustration. Scar looked up, he could see the top of the tower draw away quickly. The wind rushed in his ears as he continued to speed up. It was alright, Purple Haze would be alright. Everything would be fine. A flash of light came from the top of the tower. Scar closed his remaining eye as he finally allowed himself to pass into darkness, everything would be fine.

PreviousChapters Next