• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,340 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,340

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Bananas

Scar yawned as he walked along with the tiny ponies, it was decisively too early to be up. Even Purple Haze looked tired. He would shift buying new clothes to a later point. He turned his attention to the tiny ponies instead, "What do tiny ponies want to play?"

"Actually,..." Sweetie Belle said, "We were wondering,... do you have a costume for Nightmare Night yet?"

"Mare Night?" he knew the ponies had some strange tradition of celebrating certain days, but he had never been able to quite grasp the concept.

"Nightmare Night." corrected Purple Haze, "It's a local festival where foals go door-to-door in costumes collecting candy." she stifled a yawn.

"Candy? Purple Haze means sweets?" this sounded interesting.

"Yeah, you dress up and get sweets. But it's only for foals so I'm not sure..."

"Gnoll can't get sweets?" Scar asked disappointed, he loved sweets, almost as much as meat.

Purple Haze gave him a look, "It's no rule... I mean if you want I guess you could..."

Scar turned to the foals, "Scar likes sweets."

"So you'll come?!" the foals' faces lit up.

"Gnoll will come."

The tiny ponies erupted into a chorus, "This'll be the best Nightmare Night ever!"

"When does Nightmare Night start?"

"You don't know? It starts tomorrow. So, you still need a costume?" asked Scootaloo.

Scar pondered the word for a moment, "Does pony mean disguise? Scar can hide in bushes, or behind tree? Scar could also sit in box. Big box."

"No, you're supposed to dress as somepony or something else."

The gnoll shook his head, why would he disguise himself as a pony? Disguises were meant to hide. "Scar has no pony disguise."

Apple Bloom scrunched her face for a moment, "I've got an idea, everypony, group council!" the foals huddled together in a circle. Scar could make out excited whispering. "ALRIGHT!" the little apple pony beamed him a smile "We've got just the thing!"

---

A little later Purple Haze wasn't sure if this was crazy or simply hilarious. The gnoll carefully turned in his costume. The foals had organized a prop from their last play, it was a huge cardboard banana. They had cut a hole in the bottom for him to get into it and some more for his arms and head. It looked absolutely ridiculous. The top even looked like it had just been peeled.

"I'm not sure, I still think the pumpkin would have been better." commented Sweetie Belle. Purple Haze had been surprised by the sheer amount of fruit and sizes the foals had at their disposal.

"No, banana much better than puny pumpkin. Is yellow!" He liked yellow things, and bananas did taste good. Or had he mixed them up with pears? It didn't matter, they were yellow and he liked yellow. The gnoll hobbled happily from one leg to the other.

"What are you doing?" Purple Haze asked through a smile. It was nice to see him this relaxed.

"Is banana dance!" he was enjoying the pony disguises much more than he'd thought he would. He found the idea of disguising yourself as something else absolutely hilarious. It was certainly a sight. Purple Haze almost burst into laughter, "What does Purple Haze think?"

"Well...." she snickered, "You're definitely the biggest banana I've ever seen. I think you'll do fine."

The gnoll nodded happily. A strange smile split his lips, "Now we need disguise for Purple Haze."

"WHAT?" Purple Haze backed up a bit, Scar positioned himself in front of the door.

"Purple Haze needs disguise too, so Purple Haze can have sweets too." he slowly walked towards her. The foals had already started going through the costumes and props, "And gnoll already has idea..." She was being backed up into a corner by a giant banana with huge teeth, Purple Haze didn't like where this was going already.

---

Some time later, princess Celestia had just finished explaining the current situation to the mane six and had answered all questions to some degree of satisfaction. It had been difficult to lessen their worries but she had managed to assure them they were safe, if only for the moment. The fact that the gnoll and Purple Haze weren't there had been a bit awkward, but at least Fluttershy had been able to fill in the last parts of the story.

"Now remember girls, please tell this information to no one but Scar and Purple Haze, and most importantly..."

The door to the library was swung open, and to everypony's surprise, a strawberry walked in. There was an awkward silence, the strawberry was nopony else than Purple Haze, the color of her face matched the color of strawberry exactly. She saw their looks, "It's a Nightmare Night costume, alright?! Scar insisted I should wear one too..." there was a snort from the back, "Dammit Dash, don't make this harder on me than it already is. OK?!"

Rarity smiled, "Well I think it suits you perfectly darling, red really is your color." Purple Haze grumbled something unintelligible before she turned towards the princess.

She snapped her hooves together, "Princess, captain strawbe... captain Purple Haze, reporting for duty."

Celestia suppressed a chuckle, "Hello captain, I am happy to see you are planning on taking part in the local..." she stopped in mid sentence as her mouth fell open and her eyes went wide. The dreams and denials of many decades returned to her. Something unspeakable flashed by before her inner eye.

A giant banana had just entered the room.

"Ah, Celestia. Look! Is banana gnoll!" the gnoll laughed as he hobbled from one leg to the other, "And purple strawberry!" Purple Haze turned even redder.

The princess didn't answer, she didn't even move.

"Princess, is everything alright?" Twilight spoke up.

Celestia just stared. Her lips mouthed a single word, "Banana..."

PreviousChapters Next